• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weenerz

Banned
Did the launch of Medal of Honor get moved up or something? I could have sworn it was coming at the end of October....Either way I bought it from steam, just came out of nowhere.

Weenerz said:
Did the launch of Medal of Honor get moved up or something? I could have sworn it was coming at the end of October....Either way I bought it from steam, just came out of nowhere.
nope always was next week, the 12th oct 2010

NIN90

instantrimshotbutton.jpg

Rubezh

I got a quick question about buying games on Steam. I'm going to be going abroad quite soon and I obviously want to keep using my account. My billing address is listed as in the UK, but what will happen if I use that card to buy a game whilst I'm in a foreign country? Is my account going to get disabled?

Blablurn

Rubezh said:
I got a quick question about buying games on Steam. I'm going to be going abroad quite soon and I obviously want to keep using my account. My billing address is listed as in the UK, but what will happen if I use that card to buy a game whilst I'm in a foreign country? Is my account going to get disabled?

I'm in China right now and the only thing I did was to change the country during the billing process.

Rubezh said:
Every time I've moved to a different country I've had to email them with some info to "unblock" my account for purchases in that region, but you can buy stuff from your native store after doing this by using a link to that store in a browser and just buying it there instead of the Steam app.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I hope valve does respond. I'm pretty sure gabe has no kids but maybe doug has a one he can use in the video response.

The kid should say, Well i hear fable 3 is coming to PC, it's not going to use that thing they call GFWL right? How about, if fable 3 comes to steam and uses steamworks my dad might just give out a little bit of info on this game you asked about, half life watchamacallit.

hamchan

Just noticed Guild Wars Eye of the North is up now on steam.

I was planning to buy it anyways so this is good for me.

EDIT: Though it'll probably be cheaper from retailers for some of you.

What is it with Steam's release dates? I'm waiting on Gothic 4 and MoH and their release dates keep darting around all over the place. They started out on the 15th of Oct (NZ retail release) then back to the 13th, then to the 15th, then back to 13th, now Gothic 4 is showing the 12th. It's mental. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Omi said:
Explanation as to why? :D
It has a lot of the elements that make traditional dungeon building games so compelling but it wraps them in a much more accessible package. It marries the excitement of exploring the deep unknown with the immediacy, competitiveness and simple elegance of a traditional board game. The hand drawn graphics and humorous writing both add a lot of charm to the proceedings. Granted, it has some rough edges, like a slightly clunky interface and a lack of online play, but the $5 price point makes it easy to recommend.

Gameplay-wise, it's basically a light multiplayer focused, turn based strategy game. The object is to use your team of 5 dwarfs (miners, fighters, or scouts) to bring the most treasure back to your base. You place tiles to create paths through the underground map in order to mine treasure. Random items you pick up along the way can either help or hinder your progress. You'll have to avoid or fight monsters that spawn in the lower depths and other teams of dwarves trying to do the same thing. It's basically a big free for all. The local multiplayer is the highlight here.

Speaking of:

Does Steam honor refunds for games pre-ordered if request is made prior to release date? Via paypal...

Not sure why I bought Gothic 4, but hoping Steam will refund me the 50 bones I paid for it. What a fucking fool move.

Volcynika

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Speaking of:

Does Steam honor refunds for games pre-ordered if request is made prior to release date? Via paypal...

Not sure why I bought Gothic 4, but hoping Steam will refund me the 50 bones I paid for it. What a fucking fool move.

Yeah if it's not out I haven't heard of a case where a user has been denied a refund.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Speaking of:

Yes, they will refund a pre-purchase if the request was sent prior to release.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
It has a lot of the elements that make traditional dungeon building games so compelling but it wraps them in a much more accessible package. It marries the excitement of exploring the deep unknown with the immediacy, competitiveness and simple elegance of a traditional board game. The hand drawn graphics and humorous writing both add a lot of charm to the proceedings. Granted, it has some rough edges, like a slightly clunky interface and a lack of online play, but the $5 price point makes it easy to recommend.

Gameplay-wise, it's basically a light multiplayer focused, turn based strategy game. The object is to use your team of 5 dwarfs (miners, fighters, or scouts) to bring the most treasure back to your base. You place tiles to create paths through the underground map in order to mine treasure. Random items you pick up along the way can either help or hinder your progress. You'll have to avoid or fight monsters that spawn in the lower depths and other teams of dwarves trying to do the same thing. It's basically a big free for all. The local multiplayer is the highlight here.

Is it much fun single player? It looks pretty cool, but I most likely won't be playing it multiplayer ever unless it supports LAN.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, they will refund a pre-purchase if the request was sent prior to release.

Volcynika said:
Yeah if it's not out I haven't heard of a case where a user has been denied a refund.

Thank god, this is great news. I bought it together with New Vegas and said why the hell not. Then proceeded to read a bunch of really terrible impressions of the game and just said, "fuck, I just can't win with the Gothic series."

I knew I had made a huge mistake. I'm glad to see they at least refund pre-orders.

Thank you for your comforting replies!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zefah said:
Is it much fun single player? It looks pretty cool, but I most likely won't be playing it multiplayer ever unless it supports LAN.
Yeah, it's still pretty fun in single player. Replay value might be an issue in the long term but there's achievements and leaderboards, and there's a good chance that they'll continue to support the game with new content. The map maker should also help with that.

GWX

Alien Swarm just updated, nothing major though. I got all excited thinking it would be a new campaign or something :(

EDIT:
trinest said:
I havn't played that since launch.
I haven't either (I played a little bit of Onslaught when it was added, though), that's why I'm dying for new content.

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, it's still pretty fun in single player. Replay value might be an issue in the long term but there's achievements and leaderboards, and there's a good chance that they'll continue to support the game with new content. The map maker should also help with that.
They are very active in the forums and the editor was only a last second decision :D They want to add a few things and change the interface a bit as well.

that said the game is fun in singleplayer! The AI is not that bad and can be set to various difficulties. It is a real blast to play it in hot seat mode!

Omikron

SapientWolf said:

Sounds pretty good actually, I love me some turn based strategy, sold. :D

stuminus3

crimsonheadGCN said:
The original Gothic is currently available outside of North America and will be added to the North American store on October 19, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on this, I figured there was a reason that it wasn't on Steam (even though the others are) and was going to just pick it up on GOG... I'll wait it out so I've got them all on Steam.

mandiller

They updated the price of Fallout New Vegas to $US89.99
in Australia
. Bastards. And I was thinking of buying it too. It was $49.99 forever on Steam but I never pulled the trigger.

19Kilo said:
Hmm looks like Midweek Madness is 75% off all Men of War games.
I say this every time it's on sale, but I love this game. Don't worry about the expansion; it doesn't have multiplayer. Just get the base game for $3.75.

Schmattakopf said:
I say this every time it's on sale, but I love this game. Don't worry about the expansion; it doesn't have multiplayer. Just get the base game for $3.75.
The expansion is pretty fun as well, even without the multiplayer. The only problem for me, is the Men of War games are hard as hell, even on the Easy setting.:D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it GOG! I really want to buy Age of Wonder II and Shadow Magic from you!

I bought the first one, but I think it's just a bit too rough around the edges to get into unless you have nostalgia for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom