• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickiepoo

Flib said:
Should I get the trilogy pack, or is only Shadow Magic needed?

I would also like to know this.

And to anyone not aware of it, Men of War is one of the best action RTS games out there with a focus on tactical use of a small number of units in a 'semi-realistic' setting. Men have limited ammo and may have to scavenge for more in prolonged firefights and vehicles have no health bar, simply an armour rating and various components which can be damaged or destroyed.

Units are smart, being able to throw their own grenades, heal themselves, take cover, pick up dropped weapons when they're knocked out of their hands and can be formed into squads with a click-drag so that they operate as a single unit.

You can also direct control any of your units, remaining in the isometric camera, but taking control of the individual units guns and movement. Great for getting a sneaky AT nade on the back of a hostile tank or firing that important shot from an AT gun. Other members of an infantry squad will attempt to follow and cover the one you take control of, limiting your micro.

There is also a nice physics engine at play, letting you turn most of a given map into rubble. Don't like a sniper in a tower? An HE shell or two will smash it to pieces. Germans in a field? Set the corn on fire and watch it burn. Two Tiger tanks destroying your defences and coop partner? Do what I did, hyjack a fuel truck, sneak around behind the tigers and park it between them, quickly getting your buddy to drop an HE artillery shell on it before they react. The shell itself is useless against the Tigers, but the explosion caused by the fuel truck is enough to take them both out. Just a nice little bit of on-the-fly improvised tactics that Men of War so often lends itself to.

Nickiepoo said:
And to anyone not aware of it, Men of War is one of the best action RTS games out there with a focus on tactical use of a small number of units in a 'semi-realistic' setting. Men have limited ammo and may have to scavenge for more in prolonged firefights and vehicles have no health bar, simply an armour rating and various components which can be damaged or destroyed.

Units are smart, being able to throw their own grenades, heal themselves, take cover, pick up dropped weapons when they're knocked out of their hands and can be formed into squads with a click-drag so that they operate as a single unit.

You can also direct control any of your units, remaining in the isometric camera, but taking control of the individual units guns and movement. Great for getting a sneaky AT nade on the back of a hostile tank or firing that important shot from an AT gun. Other members of an infantry squad will attempt to follow and cover the one you take control of, limiting your micro.

There is also a nice physics engine at play, letting you turn most of a given map into rubble. Don't like a sniper in a tower? An HE shell or two will smash it to pieces. Germans in a field? Set the corn on fire and watch it burn. Two Tiger tanks destroying your defences and coop partner? Do what I did, hyjack a fuel truck, sneak around behind the tigers and park it between them, quickly getting your buddy to drop an HE artillery shell on it before they react. The shell itself is useless against the Tigers, but the explosion caused by the fuel truck is enough to take them both out. Just a nice little bit of on-the-fly improvised tactics that Men of War so often lends itself to.
Hear, hear.

Nickiepoo said:
I would also like to know this.

seconded! such a lovely series. BUY THESE GAMES!

I'm thinking about buying it AGAIN to have it on steam :lol damn edit: fuck myself :( I'm too weak to resist:lol

Steam has giving me so much fking hassle of late.
TF2 would be "unavailable" for no apparent reason. I tried everything and no luck.
Plants V Zombies would crash after finishing level 7. Tried all solutions and no luck.

So I think fuck this uninstall and reinstall after wasting like 2 hours following crappy support.

Oh wait turns out when you do that it wipes 25G of LFD2/Tf2/PvZ/other random games without any warning so now I have to DL it all over again. Fml

Caesar III said:
I'm thinking about buying it AGAIN to have it on steam :lol damn edit: fuck myself :( I'm too weak to resist:lol
I did the same thing last sale. Totally worth it at that price. I'm probably going to buy it for a few people, too.

Twig

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Steam has giving me so much fking hassle of late.
TF2 would be "unavailable" for no apparent reason. I tried everything and no luck.
Plants V Zombies would crash after finishing level 7. Tried all solutions and no luck.

So I think fuck this uninstall and reinstall after wasting like 2 hours following crappy support.

Oh wait turns out when you do that it wipes 25G of LFD2/Tf2/PvZ/other random games without any warning so now I have to DL it all over again. Fml
wat

I recently uninstalled Steam, thinking it would be like most programs and save the "user" data, such as save files, screenshots, etc. Nope, just deletes the whole folder. Good times. U:

MNC

Twig said:
wat

I recently uninstalled Steam, thinking it would be like most programs and save the "user" data, such as save files, screenshots, etc. Nope, just deletes the whole folder. Good times. U:
Ofcourse you already know this but there's just a slight sense of happiness in knowing some of the games use SteamCloud for your saves :3

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Twig said:
wat

I don't have a single game in my library that put config/save files inside the Steamapps folder, afaik.

Twig

Banned
MNC said:
Ofcourse you already know this but there's just a slight sense of happiness in knowing some of the games use SteamCloud for your saves :3
Yes there is.

Easy_D said:
I don't have a single game in my library that put config/save files inside the Steamapps folder, afaik.
Some of them do, the really old ones will use their designated Steam folders. Like Commander Keen, I believe (not a big deal since I love playing those games from start to finish). I lost a couple game saves, but I don't remember which ones at this point. It was a while ago. I'm fairly certain Valve's games use the Steam folder.

But mostly I was just upset about the screenshots. ):

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Flib said:
Should I get the trilogy pack, or is only Shadow Magic needed?

Just Shadow Magic. There isn't any real narrative to concern yourself with and SM is the culmination of all the gameplay improvements of the series.

Nabs

b.e.r.g said:
Bad Company 2 been on sale as of late? Need some good old BF action, but €50? :(

it's pretty cheap here in the states ($30 / €22?) maybe you can get someone to gift it to you.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
crimsonheadGCN said:
If you have bought Borderlands on Steam before the Game of the Year then you get first access to the Duke Nukem demo.
Wait, does that mean what I think that means?

*does the funky dance*

Edit: I have my DNF access key, woohoo!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
crimsonheadGCN said:
If you have bought Borderlands on Steam before the Game of the Year then you get first access to the Duke Nukem demo.
Because you are likely to have low standards?
Disclaimer: I like what I have played of Borderlands.

Stop It

Stallion Free said:
But when is it becoming available? I want this Duke Nukem demo yesterday.
Indeed, as bad as it sounds I just want to see what the hell this game has actually become after all these years. Well, I know of someone who will be VERY "happy" to hear that I have this key. Shame he isn't online, haha.

garath

crimsonheadGCN said:

Supposedly only if you bought all the DLC. I've only bought the base game so I will have to see when I get home.

Stop It

garath said:
Supposedly only if you bought all the DLC. I've only bought the base game so I will have to see when I get home.
It's for all owners of Borderlands bought via Steam.

I am a dirty peasant who only bought the base game (At launch at that) and I have the code. All you have to do is either launch the game or right click the game on Steam and click View CD Key.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm new to PC gaming

If I buy the GFW boxed copy Of Mero 2033, can I load it into Steam no problem?

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hey, I'm excited for the game so I can make mistakes that a 13 year old would. God. You are just like my English teacher.

*storms off to room*
And stay in there!

(I actually thought it was an intentional mistake and was just playing along. U:)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
crimsonheadGCN said:
I was kinda pissed and thought that offering the beta only to players who bought the Game of the Year edition was kind of a dick move by Gearbox. But since it's idiotic to only make a Demo available to pre-orders, I was certain that an "open" demo would eventually show up.

Now, I couldn't give two shits about it, because Gearbox has proven me wrong once again and delivered the awesomeness. Great move.

Now I'll just wait for the ClapTrap Revolution DLC to go down to 4,50 (like the others did on the midyear discounts) and have my complete Borderlands experience.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ermac said:
I'm new to PC gaming

If I buy the GFW boxed copy Of Mero 2033, can I load it into Steam no problem?

Yes, but only because Metro 2033 is a Steamworks title. Not every new game can be added to your Steam account.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
clip said:
It doesn't use GFW.
It is Games for Windows certified, hence the GFW and not GFWL. Plenty of games are GFW certified, it just means they hit a couple requirements that MS set out (and even then they aren't strictly adhered to).

randomwab

Angelus Errare said:
I bought Borderlands before the GOTY edition....where be my DNF?!

From Steam? Right click on Borderlands, View DLC. Should say something like Duke Nukem Forever First Access Code or something.

crimsonheadGCN said:

alwaysbetonduke.jpg

Shit, I'd have never known about this if you hadn't mentioned it

Maybe a silly question but is there any way to enhance the Steam web browser? (bookmarks, plugins, etc) I know it's only meant to be barebones and I love it for that, I just want to make sure I'm not missing some cool features.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MomoPufflet said:
Maybe a silly question but is there any way to enhance the Steam web browser? (bookmarks, plugins, etc) I know it's only meant to be barebones and I love it for that, I just want to make sure I'm not missing some cool features.
You aren't missing out on anything at the moment.

Ion Assault enters PC!

- The arcade space shooter will be released on Windows PC in November 2010! -

Eschborn/Frankfurt, October 12, 2010: bitComposer Games is now bringing popular particle-based gameplay to the PC with the arcade space shooter Ion Assault. The game, produced by Munich developer Coreplay, was previously only available on Xbox 360 and enthralled players and gaming press alike. Ion Assault combines familiar skilled arcade shooter elements with the game principle of classics such as Asteroids, and embellishes it with some innovative ideas. Ion Assault will appear in November 2010 exclusively on Steam.

The sparks sure do fly in Ion Assault! The player finds himself in his spaceship surrounded by millions of nano particles; you'd better harness this swirling dust and use it to fend off swarms of enemies and obstacles. The player must use some smart particle suction and shooting to quickly blast adversaries out of the way. The player's journey takes him through four different sectors each with 6 levels and a mighty boss waiting at the end of each sector. The "dynamic level intensity" in Ion Assault makes it easily accessible for beginners, while setting new challenges for hardcore gamers. The graphics and sound enhance the adrenaline-fueled atmosphere and make Ion Assault a must-have for fans of exhilarating arcade action!

http://www.bit-composer.com/www_en/newsarchive.aspx?newsid=b218ccb5-601f-4123-956b-36c546b6f71f

Ion Assault - Level 1 video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom