• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Twig said:
Not too many sites regularly showcase the most annoying personalities on the planet.

sy3r6.gif

Lothars

poweld said:
Whoa @ all the GB hating. I can understand not being into it, but finding them to be highly annoying? To each their own, I suppose. I feel like those guys helped me save more than a few bucks on games I wasn't very interested in until I watched them actually play it. Surely don't always agree with their opinions/reactions, but at least they seem to have genuine reactions instead of consistently gushing over everything or vice-versa.

yeah I agree, I really like Giant Bomb but I understand that there are people that don't like them.

Twig

Banned
This is a forum where people communicate. Discussions diverge, people have a little fun, and eventually those diversions wrap back around.

Calm the fuck down, kids.

zoku88

Out of curiosity, why does it matter when the deal ends? Does that actually affect your likelihood of you buying it or not?

Zachack

X05 said:
I'd like to know as well.
If it's the midweek sale then end of today or thereabouts.
Out of curiosity, why does it matter when the deal ends? Does that actually affect your likelihood of you buying it or not?
Well, I prefer to buy games using my home PC but there have been a couple of times that I've had to use my iPhone to access the Steam store because I was out of town.

zoku88

Zachack said:
Well, I prefer to buy games using my home PC but there have been a couple of times that I've had to use my iPhone to access the Steam store because I was out of town.
Understandable. I generally don't like visiting the steam website using my Android phone, either.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
zoku88 said:
Me and Sharkie here are not from the US, which means that we have to use a cc and pay tax per transaction, or use Paypal and add funds "manually" (ie, going to a bank and deposit).

Zachack said:
If it's the midweek sale then end of today or thereabouts.
It was posted today, and the midweek madness is Men of War, hence the question.

Fox318 said:
Should I pick up the telltale monkey Island pack when I have only played 1+2(Special Editions)?

$4.99 looks tempting.
I've only played some of the first special edition and I liked what I played for the most part.

I'm wondering the same thing...

Sweet Jebus, FO:New Vegas is now $90. I knew the Aussie/US exchange rate increase would lead to this type of shenanigans being more widespread.

Good thing it's a Steamworks game.

Fox318

SolarPowered said:
I've only played some of the first special edition and I liked what I played for the most part.

I'm wondering the same thing...
You should defiantly play the second game Its really fun and the commentary is a cool feature.

zoku88

X05 said:
Me and Sharkie here are not from the US, which means that we have to use a cc and pay tax per transaction, or use Paypal and add funds "manually" (ie, going to a bank and deposit).
Yea, I know sharkie was from Uruguay or something.
I'm confused about paypal, though. You can't transfer funds from your bank to paypal online?

Zzoram

zoku88 said:
Understandable. I generally don't like visiting the steam website using my Android phone, either.

That's probably wise, considering how many Android apps may be stealing your passwords.

Fox318 said:
You should defiantly play the second game Its really fun and the commentary is a cool feature.
I'll definitely pick it up if I see it in a deal on steam. I haven't gone very far into the first one, but it's definitely a nice way to get into the point and click genre.

Fredescu

zoku88 said:
That can be true of any machine you're using.
On other machines, chances are you haven't given it explicit permission to do so because every application needs ten thousand permissions and after the first couple you just stop reading because every single permission sounds potentially bad so it's either don't install anything at all, install a handful of trusted apps, or be careful about personal data on your phone which is hard because it's your fucking phone.

zoku88

Fredescu said:
On other machines, chances are you haven't given it explicit permission to do so because every application needs ten thousand permissions and after the first couple you just stop reading because every single permission sounds potentially bad so it's either don't install anything at all, install a handful of trusted apps, or be careful about personal data on your phone which is hard because it's your fucking phone.
I don't think keyloggers on computers need elevated permissions to run (although, I'm not sure.) Furthermore, do you not believe that most people allow programs to run with elevated permissions automatically, without even thinking about it?

If you don't pay attention, you'll get screwed, no matter what. And it's not really hard to be careful about personal data on the phone...

Anyway, this discussion is both stupid AND off-topic.

Fredescu

zoku88 said:
Anyway, this discussion is both stupid AND off-topic.
Discussing the security implications of making Steam purchases from Android devices is neither.

If you like to experiment with apps, like many people on smartphones do, I would avoid making Steam purchases or entering credit card details at all on Android. A windows desktop environment is more mature, and if you have any sense the machine you use for online transactions will have functional threat protection and you won't run any applications from unknown sources.

Yes, if you're not careful you'll get hacked anyway, but for some people I think the maturity of desktop environments has given them a false sense of security for young immature operating systems like Android where they should really be exercising more caution than they're used to.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
zoku88 said:
Yea, I know sharkie was from Uruguay or something.
I'm confused about paypal, though. You can't transfer funds from your bank to paypal online?
Uruguay.
And AFAIK, over here you can't unless you add an international credit card to your account, at which point it becomes kinda useless, as you'd be probably better off using the card directly anyway. That said, I haven't used paypal in forever, so maybe it's different now.

Volcynika said:
Slightly off, Monkey Island deal was posted yesterday.
Oh, my bad, it totally flew under my radar yesterday.

Fox318 said:
When does the Monkey Island Sale end?
No one knows yet, as the offer isn't even on the Spotlight section, and there is nothing on Telltale's page mentioning this sale either (which is very odd, since they are having a different one on their own store)

Anyone know why Steam does this?

steam.jpg

Sometimes a large download is about 1mpbs for 90% of the time, and then for no apparent reason, it'll drop down to some prehistoric download rate, taking hours just to download a few hundred MBs. :mad:

Affeinvasion said:
It's possible you are being throttled by your ISP?

I thought about it being my ISP, but everything else is fine. Web surfing, downloading other apps, they all continue at normal speed. It's just on Steam, when a game's almost done, it'll drastically cut the download rate. It's really frustrating.

zoku88

X05 said:
Uruguay.
And AFAIK, over here you can't unless you add an international credit card to your account, at which point it becomes kinda useless, as you'd be probably better off using the card directly anyway. That said, I haven't used paypal in forever, so maybe it's different now.
Huh, that sucks.
Fredescu said:
Discussing the security implications of making Steam purchases from Android devices is neither.

If you like to experiment with apps, like many people on smartphones do, I would avoid making Steam purchases or entering credit card details at all on Android. A windows desktop environment is more mature, and if you have any sense the machine you use for online transactions will have functional threat protection and you won't run any applications from unknown sources.

Yes, if you're not careful you'll get hacked anyway, but for some people I think the maturity of desktop environments has given them a false sense of security for young immature operating systems like Android where they should really be exercising more caution than they're used to.
The security you feel from desktop environments is only a false sense of security. No matter the desktop environment, the user is the weakest link. Dumb users will get bitten, smart users will (usually) not be.

Desktop users get malicious software all of the time, after all. Information is stolen through malicious software a lot.

EDIT: Didn't read your last paragraph. I should note, instead, that if you actually practiced the same amount of safety when using your desktop when you used your phone, you would expect to get the same results. So what you're saying is correct. But saying that desktop environments are 'mature', really doesn't mean much for security. It's more like desktop environments are mostly stagnant.

I can remember this (B:TD) being kind of fun and thinking that the customisation would be cool. That was on Xbox live with friends though. PC might be another matter..

confused

Banned
So, for the last few weeks my Steam downloads pause themselves, seemingly at random. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this to happen ?

poweld

Caesar III said:
You won't notice at all. It's not that different from Steam as long as you are online.
Ah. I know it would probably work fine, but I can't support it. I'm more than happy to get it once they remove it, though. Hopefully they won't take too many years to do so :)

Foxtastical said:
Giantbomb is terrible.

I feel enlightened.

I understand why GB guys can rub people up the wrong way. Wouldn't go as far as hating them. I mean I never got why people loved Luke Smith, but i would never hate the guy

Anyway, another set of games I'm not sure when I'll play added to the game list with the Tales games this week :lol

Hm Blacklight Tango Down 50% off this weekend, I had fun with the 360 version's 60min trial, much as I would like to play it I doubt there is much of a community for the game, plus it has that generic unreal engine 3 netcode lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom