• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Curse you and your low low prices Steam!!!

Stalker bought :(.

brain_stew said:
Cap the framerate to 30fps through the config file, or live with the tearing.

Do you know which setting to fiddle with in the config brain_stew?

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R deal looks tempting. Would CoP run well on an 8800gt? I plan on upgrading soon but I wouldn't mind digging in now.

pilonv1

Can someone from the US help me out with Mafia 2 and Civ 5 deluxe pre-orders? I'd love to be able to not pay the US$30 australian tax on them.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmmm, is it possible to pause your steam downloads somehow? I mean, I'm downloading both Stalker games, but I prefer downloading one at a time since one download slows the other one down, and it seems the only way to stop the download is delete the local files, which I don't want to since it's already 70% downloaded.

Dynoro

StarEye said:
Hmmm, is it possible to pause your steam downloads somehow? I mean, I'm downloading both Stalker games, but I prefer downloading one at a time since one download slows the other one down, and it seems the only way to stop the download is delete the local files, which I don't want to since it's already 70% downloaded.
Click the downloads tab in Steam and you can click the pause button next to each download and resume later - or pause all from a button at the top

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys, how do I get steam to forget my account credentials? I mean sure its convenient to have but I rather just type in my CC details each time.

edit : ah found it! steam - settings - account history - delete!

also, loool SoC + CoP for 7.5euro? Thats a fucking pizza man, soo bought

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Corky said:
Guys, how do I get steam to forget my account credentials? I mean sure its convenient to have but I rather just type in my CC details each time.

Open the store window in steam and you should see <username> account at the top. Click on it and you should see a payment method on the side, delete it.

That should work.

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuck this shit. I couldn't pass stalker clear sky for 7,5€ even when I got the original already.

Fuck steam, fuck valve and fuck sales. I have like a year of backlog games now :_(

Aaron

toasty_T said:
Do you know which setting to fiddle with in the config brain_stew?

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R deal looks tempting. Would CoP run well on an 8800gt? I plan on upgrading soon but I wouldn't mind digging in now.
Depends on the CPU, but you should be more than fine at medium settings.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dynoro said:
Click the downloads tab in Steam and you can click the pause button next to each download and resume later - or pause all from a button at the top

Wow, can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

JADS

For those of you going trough STALKER Shadow of Cheronobyl for the first time, check out the Stalker Complete Mod. Stalker Complete is a graphical overhaul that vastly updates certain aspects of SoC, like the textures, AI and localization.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
JADS said:
For those of you going trough STALKER Shadow of Cheronobyl for the first time, check out the Stalker Complete Mod. Stalker Complete is a graphical overhaul that vastly updates certain aspects of SoC, like the textures, AI and localization.

Oh PC gaming, it's good to finally be back :lol.

I don't suppose you have something like this for the recent Oblivion sale as well?

Pankaks said:

I don't suppose you have something like this for the recent Oblivion sale as well?

I installed the unofficial oblivion mod. Other than that, I have no idea where to go for texture patches.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pankaks said:

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Insane mod that completely changes the way Oblivion works (no more scaling of loot or enemies, among other things). The author was hired by Obsidian and is on the Fallout: New Vegas dev team now.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15256

itxaka

Defeatist
JADS said:

Does it matters if you have the steam version? like they can ban you or something for altering the files?

I guess not, plus is single player only but who knows.

Dynoro

itxaka said:
Does it matters if you have the steam version? like they can ban you or something for altering the files?

The complete mod works fine on the Steam release as far as I'm aware and I can't see Valve banning you for using this mod especially as its SP and very widely used

Aaron

itxaka said:

Steam versions of games are always modable, at least everyone I've played so far, including STALKER. This isn't always true of other download services, particularly Direct2Drive. STALKER has a multiplayer component, but people hardly ever use it.

SmokyDave

calder said:
OK, whew. Snapped and uninstalled all my Steam games and client, then reinstalled Steam. Seems to work better now, and hey it let me buy Mafia 2. Thanks for graciously accepting my money after 6 failed attempts, Valve! :lol You'd think they were Sega they way they tried to completely prevent me from giving them money.
When this happened to me, I removed everything except for the Steam.exe and the Steamapps folder. When I re-launched Steam it patched itself healthy and I could purchase again. No need to remove your games or uninstall the program.

itxaka

Defeatist
Thanks guys. Great to know, almost finished downloading it :)

Oh and wow at that Oblivion mod. I kind of want to play it again with the mod even when I sinked around 300 hours on the vanilla game :lol

pilonv1

I've been using the 2009 mod with the Steam version and it's fine. Was a bit surprised to see it using nearly 100% of my GPU but it looks great.

I'm considering buying Arcania now in the chance to avoid a potential price increase for Australians like what occurred with Mafia II.

How does Gothic 3 hold up with all the official and community patches?

Dizzy-4U

I just bought the Stalker pack but I didn't buy Clear Sky yet. Why is this considered such a bad game? It doesn't live up to the Stalker's name or it's a bad game by it's own?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Now another question, is it possible to check for game updates/patches without restarting steam or clicking play game?

Daigoro

oh crap.

i think im going to feel bad if i buy the Stalker pack at this price. i already bought both of the other games for so cheap and i wanted to buy Pripyat at the normal discounted loyalty price. now this!

damn you Steam.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was thinking, if you buy the STALKER pack as a gift, can you gift CoP to yourself?
Something tells me no.

JADS

droopy said:
So other than the Complete 2009 are there any other (compatible) quality mods for SoC?

Lurk mod also know as 4chan's STALKER mod is pretty close, but messes too much with the STALKER core mechanics for my taste. For example it doesn't have a minimap and has some annoying blood splatter effects. Its worth checking out though, because it has one of the few mods that fixes the stealth issues that the original game has.

Oblivion Lost is something totally different. It takes some features from STALKER: Oblivion Lost, an alpha version of Stalker SoC, and tries to incorporate it into the game. Its a pretty great impression of something that could have been, but its only recommend if you have played trough the game a few times. A special port using the nice effects from Complete 2009 is available here.

AMK Nardonaya Soljanka sadly only works with patch 1.004 which isn't available on steam. No downgrade method is available at the moment. AMK can be best described as a mash up of Clear Sky and SoC. Most of the game mechanics and some areas, Great Swamps (Starting area) and Limansk (Endgame), have been ported from Clear Sky to SoC. The mod is in Russian but semi complete translation patches are available.

One more mod that is promising is Lost Alpha, basically a port of the crazy amount of material that was either cut or reworked during development on SoC. It hasn't been released yet but shows some promising stuff. Anyways check out Stalker Files for some more random mods, skins and other stuff.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The new Steam Hardware and Software Survey has been released. This is the first release that includes both Hardware and Software.

Internet explorer has less than 20%! :lol

Silverlight is over 50%, that's pretty impressive penetration for something most write off.

The GFW client is @ 36%, that's a lot higher than I thought it would be.

Steam users really don't like antivirus programs.

poweld

brain_stew said:

Silverlight is over 50%, that's pretty impressive penetration for something most write off.

Netflix Instant Streaming.

vazel

Banned
I'm really surprised at the uTorrent number. I thought the vast majority of PC enthusiasts had that installed.

Edit: Wait that IE number can't be right...

brain_stew said:

Steam users really don't like antivirus programs.

Which can potentially explain why a lot of people get hacked. Maybe Valve will have a news piece in the future suggesting to people different virus scanners that they can use and the benefits of using one.

Then again Valve might not do that, since the survey is optional and it does not include every single account. So the actual percentage might be higher.

Wow... considering all of the "hardcore pc gamers" I know always have winamp, ventrilo and fraps open at all times, I'm surprised that they are all hanging out together at the bottom of that list.

And how does this list work exactly? I'm pretty sure I'm in the vast minority of windows users who actually go and delete Internet Explorer. Most just ignore it but have it installed.

larvi

vazel said:
I'm really surprised at the uTorrent number. I thought the vast majority of PC enthusiasts had that installed.

I certainly don't, haven't found a need for it yet. So when does Steam inventory your system for software and how does it do it? Seem to me like it would be a bit of a performance drag if it's scanning your drives on a regular basis and something I would want to turn off.

dLMN8R

JADS said:
Windows update install
Windows Update doesn't install Silverlight automatically, and practically no one actually opens WU to install updates considering that most people get them automatically.

Silverlight has had hundreds of millions of installations, I'm not sure why people are surprised. It's a quality platform, and has been used pretty wide-spread for NFL streaming including the Superbowl, Netflix Instant Streaming, and plenty of other applications.

larvi said:
I certainly don't, haven't found a need for it yet. So when does Steam inventory your system for software and how does it do it? Seem to me like it would be a bit of a performance drag if it's scanning your drives on a regular basis and something I would want to turn off.

When you sign into Steam, a pop-up box would appear asking you whether or not you want to take part in the Hardware and Software Survey. If you click Next on the box then it'll scan your system. If you click Cancel then it won't do anything.

These pop-up boxes appear randomly throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom