• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck actually uses Bonjour on Windows? And how does that have a higher number than iTunes? That implies people are actually downloading Bonjour on their own.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I had to bite on the CoP deal, 7.50 euro was a damn steal and that I wasted a copy of SoC isn't a big deal considering I got it for 2.50 or something last christmas :D

Looks pretty cool:

Valve said:
Now Available - Demolition Company
Product Release - Valve

Demolition Company is now available On Steam and 15% off until 8/27/2010.

In a city where buildings are constructed as rapidly as they are torn down again, you get to take control of an emerging demolition company. A multitude of missions lead you to various demolition sites in different districts of the city.

Doytch

faceless007 said:
Who the fuck actually uses Bonjour on Windows? And how does that have a higher number than iTunes? That implies people are actually downloading Bonjour on their own.
Pretty sure it's installed alongside Quicktime. I think that's how it got on an old machine of mine.

larvi

crimsonheadGCN said:
When you sign into Steam, a pop-up box would appear asking you whether or not you want to take part in the Hardware and Software Survey. If you click Next on the box then it'll scan your system. If you click Cancel then it won't do anything.

These pop-up boxes appear randomly throughout the year.

Good to know, thanks, so the survey is skewed towards the people that want to participate whether that group would tend to include the hardcore gamers or not I don't know. I know I tend to not particpate if given the choice.

larvi said:
Good to know, thanks, so the survey is skewed towards the people that want to participate whether that group would tend to include the hardcore gamers or not I don't know. I know I tend to not particpate if given the choice.
It might explain the low uTorrent numbers.

FatBaby

Can some one explain how Internet Explorer is not 100%?

Isn't it on EVERY copy of Windows? Don't you NEED to have it installed? I don't get it.

FatBaby said:

Isn't it on EVERY copy of Windows? Don't you NEED to have it installed? I don't get it.
I think you can uninstall IE in WindowsXP and above, in add/remove programs under the Windows components. I don't think that many people uninstalled it though, it must be a mistake.

faceless007 said:
What is it? I assumed it was some process that iTunes or QuickTime required . . . can I get rid of it?

JADS

Eaten By A Grue said:
I think you can uninstall IE in WindowsXP and above, in add/remove programs under the Windows components. I don't think that many people uninstalled it though, it must be a mistake.

That only takes away the shortcuts :lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I ran in to a Firefox bug one time where it kept trying to apply an update and crashing. If I didn't have IE installed to go online and re-download Firefox I would have had to just throw the whole computer in the trash.

cwmartin

Borgnine said:
I ran in to a Firefox bug one time where it kept trying to apply an update and crashing. If I didn't have IE installed to go online and re-download Firefox I would have had to just throw the whole computer in the trash.

I like your style.

Fireye

crimsonheadGCN said:
Looks pretty cool:
Now Available - Demolition Company
Product Release - Valve

Demolition Company is now available On Steam and 15% off until 8/27/2010.

In a city where buildings are constructed as rapidly as they are torn down again, you get to take control of an emerging demolition company. A multitude of missions lead you to various demolition sites in different districts of the city.

Makes me miss Blast Corps on my n64. I might be in for that.

Eaten By A Grue said:
What processor is on the market that has 8 cores? Or is it a server mobo with two 4 core processors?

Servers, People with more than one processor (see that evga x58 board or a mac pro)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Played some CoP and the world seems so much more open than the first Stalker, can you modify the settings somehow to make it render grass more than the grass that is directly under you though? Same thing with texture LOD, any way to increase that?

Maybe I should just continue playing the first one, looks much better with Stalker Complete and then wait for the Complete mod for CoP.

coopolon

Easy_D said:
So I had to bite on the CoP deal, 7.50 euro was a damn steal and that I wasted a copy of SoC isn't a big deal considering I got it for 2.50 or something last christmas :D
I really should see it this way. I think I got SoC for $5 two years ago. And I know CoP is absolutely worth $10, that's %50 off for pete's sake. But I don't want to buy it because I'll be buying a copy of SoC which I can't use.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fireye said:
Makes me miss Blast Corps on my n64. I might be in for that.
A Blast Corps Red Faction: Guerrilla mod wouldn't be that hard, I would think. I wonder why it hasn't been attempted yet.

This is sort of old news, but for the 2 people who were wondering this: the version of Riven now on Steam is the same one as included in the Ubisoft 10th Anniversary DVD Collection, not the superior DVD version released in 1998. I don't know why they'd put the slightly gimped version up but there it is.

That also makes me wonder why the note saying it only works with Vista and Win7. I've gotten it to work in XP, albeit inconsistently and with some Quicktime compatibility issues.

Joe Molotov

Shaneus said:
Single player? I'm in!

What's the deal with the stealthy release though? Is it a low-budget game or something?

Low budget and German.

I want to like it, but I just played the demo and it was boring as hell. Maybe it gets awesome in the later levels, and they just used the two most boring ass missions in the game to create the demo, but I'm reluctant to lay down 20 bones for this. The DLC Gravity Gun does look kinda cool, though.

oatmeal

Banned
Bah! I can't log into steam on my Mac.

I just get this:

ced0129c855538137426650daaf7afb5.jpg

I'm posting here, so my internet is fine...and steampowered.com is fine...

WTF? I haven't played Portal in over a month because of a different problem, now it finally lets me get to the next step and it stops me with this?

oatmeal said:
Bah! I can't log into steam on my Mac.

I just get this:

ced0129c855538137426650daaf7afb5.jpg

I'm posting here, so my internet is fine...and steampowered.com is fine...

WTF? I haven't played Portal in over a month because of a different problem, now it finally lets me get to the next step and it stops me with this?

You can try and allow steam to rebuild its platform files, you do so by deleting the clientregistry.blob in your steam directory. You then relaunch steam and allow it to rebuild, it wont delete any games or anything, this trick has helped me numerous times

Edit: shit didnt see you were on a mac
Clientregistry.blob should be in this directory

/Users/[Username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Lothars

I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a 4-pack for Worms Reloaded especially since it's coming out this week and I would like to get it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
SapientWolf said:
A Blast Corps Red Faction: Guerrilla mod wouldn't be that hard, I would think. I wonder why it hasn't been attempted yet.

Unreal Engine 3 is a pain in the ass is the most likely culprit.

coopolon

Zerokku said:
Unreal Engine 3 is a pain in the ass is the most likely culprit.

Red Faction Guerrilla is UE3? I thought it was their own engine so that they could do all the destruction stuff.

Polk

coopolon said:
Red Faction Guerrilla is UE3? I thought it was their own engine so that they could do all the destruction stuff.
Of course it isn't UE3. Volition uses their own engine.

Weenerz

Banned
I think I already know the answer, but is there a way to install my Mafia 2 early that I bought from retail? I wants to play it!

Blizzard

Banned
Weenerz said:
I think I already know the answer, but is there a way to install my Mafia 2 early that I bought from retail? I wants to play it!
No, because it's encrypted to prevent piracy before the release date. I have never known of a Steamworks game being leaked playable before the release date, but someone's claiming it's happened, and I'd like to know how that's even possible since the encryption should be virtually unbreakable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Blizzard said:
No, because it's encrypted to prevent piracy before the release date. I have never known of a Steamworks game being leaked playable before the release date, but someone's claiming it's happened, and I'd like to know how that's even possible since the encryption should be virtually unbreakable.
Well, Half Life 2 was leaked and playable :lol. That counts as Steamworks, does it not?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Blizzard said:
I would imagine it would have to be a leak of the unencrypted data - from a game tester or something.

Blizzard

Banned
poppabk said:
I would imagine it would have to be a leak of the unencrypted data - from a game tester or something.
Yeah, exactly. Did Half-life 2 have a playable beta/test etc. version before the game was released? A leak would be understandable then.

*edit* Ah, I see. I guess I didn't hear the news back then.

*edit again* Wow, and wow if it was an Outlook hole. Stupid Outlook. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Blizzard said:
Yeah, exactly. Did Half-life 2 have a playable beta/test etc. version before the game was released? A leak would be understandable then.
Valve was hacked by some German, IIRC. They caught him with a fake job posting.

Weenerz

Banned
Really starting to hate GFWL. Trying to play the steam version of GTA4, that I have 10 hours of game time already sunk in. I recently reformatted, so I had to reinstall GTA4, so when I start a new game I try to sign into my XBL account so I can post achievements as well as save my game, and I keep getting this PPP error. I hope Rockstar dumps that shitty service whenever they port RDR to PC.

Ledsen

FatBaby said:

On new computers you don't get IE, instead you get a shortcut named "Choose your browser" or something where you can pick between IE, Firefox and a few others. I think it's because of that lawsuit MS lost.

Polk

Ledsen said:
On new computers you don't get IE, instead you get a shortcut named "Choose your browser" or something where you can pick between IE, Firefox and a few others. I think it's because of that lawsuit MS lost.
Isn't this only in EU though?

Ledsen

Pankaks said:
A quick Google search led me here.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/User:RobinHood70/Mods

(I have not tried to install any of these just yet)

That list is ooold as shit and crappy as hell. Go to the official Oblivion mod forum and ask them, they'll point you in the right direction. You could also start with this guide made by a GAF:er. It's 3 months old and therefore slightly outdated (the Oblivion modding scene is insanely fast-moving) but it's certainly good enough to get you started and a few of the big visual mods are never updated anyway.

Polk said:
Isn't this only in EU though?

Could be, yeah.

scitek

Weenerz said:
Really starting to hate GFWL. Trying to play the steam version of GTA4, that I have 10 hours of game time already sunk in. I recently reformatted, so I had to reinstall GTA4, so when I start a new game I try to sign into my XBL account so I can post achievements as well as save my game, and I keep getting this PPP error. I hope Rockstar dumps that shitty service whenever they port RDR to PC.

Boy I hope this happens sooner rather than later. :\ A port of RDR, I mean.

kamspy

OK gurus of the Steam. Here's my conundrum.

I bought the STALKER pack for CoP.

CoP has an unusually shitty FoV. Only way I've found to fix the FoV is by downloading a couple dll fies. We all know that Steam likes sniffing our dlls.

So, is Doug Lombardi going to come to my house and kill me if I keep this mod installed? Or possibly ban my CoP key or entire Steam account? I don't want to die, and I also don't want to lose any of my video games. But I also don't want to play CoP like I'm looking out of a periscope.

What doth GAF say?

~Kinggi~

Banned
kamspy said:

CoP has an unusually shitty FoV. Only way I've found to fix the FoV is by downloading a couple dll fies. We all know that Steam likes sniffing our dlls.

So, is Doug Lombardi going to come to my house and kill me if I keep this mod installed? Or possibly ban my CoP key or entire Steam account? I don't want to die, and I also don't want to lose any of my video games. But I also don't want to play CoP like I'm looking out of a periscope.

What doth GAF say?
Steam doesnt give a shit what mods you install when it comes to legalities (unless its a valve multiplayer game maybe). Its only when it comes to actually getting the mods to work there might be issues.

Blizzard

Banned
kamspy said:

What doth GAF say?
As far as I know, the DLL/EXE check can only cause problems if it's a game that uses VAC for cheat protection. I'm pretty sure the STALKER games don't. Of course, if anyone knows better on the topic feel free to correct me. :)

vocab

kamspy said:

What doth GAF say?

You're fine.

Mad Max

kamspy said:

What doth GAF say?

You would only get banned if you tried to go online in a VAC protected game and played on a VAC protected server (CoP doesn't use VAC), so that shouldn't give you any problems.

Also getting VAC banned just means you can't play on protected servers anymore, your steam account wont get banned entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom