• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

It looks like an interactive visualizer. And I don't mean anything bad by that, I love those old Winamp visualizers.

Might buy!

Burekma

Caesar III said:
a new beta arrives! Now you can recommend games to friends and discuss about it with them.
Loving the new features so far. They also updated the store pages:

steam_store1a9b.png

No more trying to buy games I already own? YES!

Also, this:

steam_friends_play6lsf.png

Only got 7 friends, though. Would be interesting to see the list from someone with 250 of them.

Boonoo

2pshchu.png

My friends play a lot of TF2.

2a7g5sj.png

Look at that lifetime stat. Almost 10 times more than the next game on the list. Those 37 friends are really doing their part to keep MW2 up there.

Edit: Oh wow! The L4D 1 and 2 stats are great! Same number of friends with the second game ahead of the first.

Help:

1. Is there a way to make sure all games via Steam can run without administrator mode? Its really annoying to start a game, have my screen go black and need to reboot in order to find it needs to be run via administrator mode while many others don't.

2. Seems several of my games have issues where they cause my screen to continually go black for 3-10 seconds at a time. Most games don't have this issue. I figured it may be my refresh rate but am not sure. Any ideas?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
2pshchu.png

My friends play a lot of TF2.

2a7g5sj.png

Look at that lifetime stat. Almost 10 times more than the next game on the list. Those 37 friends are really doing their part to keep MW2 up there.

Edit: Oh wow! The L4D 1 and 2 stats are great! Same number of friends with the second game ahead of the first.
3500 Hours in the last two week, oh god.

I feel a bit sad that its only 100,000 total though.

Shaneus

Is there any word on 360 controller support for Polynomial? The buttons all did something on the pad but ze joysticks, zey do nothing!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LovingSteam said:
Help:

1. Is there a way to make sure all games via Steam can run without administrator mode? Its really annoying to start a game, have my screen go black and need to reboot in order to find it needs to be run via administrator mode while many others don't.

Either shut off User Account Control in your control panel, or go the the .exe's of the games your running, right click -> properties -> compatibility -> run this as administrator.

Mr_Zombie

So I've installed the new Steam Beta update and have tried to play Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light and... suddenly all my saves were gone (it uses Steam Claud). All that was left were saves from the demo version (only the first level was beaten). :(

Mr_Zombie said:
So I've installed the new Steam Beta update and have tried to play Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light and... suddenly all my saves were gone (it uses Steam Claud). All that was left were saves from the demo version (only the first level was beaten). :(

Opt-out of beta.

Anyways, a forum post on the Steam forums suggests that Valve will soon be adding a screenshot feature to Steam that presumably saves screenshots to Steam Cloud. These screenshots will be viewable through a person's profile:

Steam will soon have a screenshot feature! Valve has not made an announcement, but I have noticed a bunch of references in Steam files to a screenshot feature.

Here is the information I have found. I got it from reading the code in the Steam configuration files. (Disclaimer: Although I know how to read Steam config files, I may not have understood them 100% correctly).
- Pressing Shift+Insert will take a screenshot.
- The hotkey can be changed, but Shift+Insert is the default.
- The hotkey will be shown on the Steam Overlay.
- A screenshot section will be on the "Game Details" page (like "Achievements", "News", etc). It will show recent screenshots, and there will be a button to "View All Screenshots".
- A notification will pop-up about screenshots. I don't know what the notification is for, but it has something to do with Friends, so I am guessing you will be able to share screenshots with friends.
- A sound (like a camera taking a photo) will probably play when you take screenshots. You can find it here: "Steam/resource/camera1.wav". (You might need to be in the Steam Beta)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1515111

I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a video feature in the future.

I also would not be surprised if Valve hired the development team that was working on Xfire before they were sold off and left the company.

epmode

LovingSteam said:
Help:

I don't run Steam in admin mode. I've seen this issue but it was related to my Comodo Defense+ mode. Apparently the program wanted me to respond to a Defense+ request but with the screen entirely black, I couldn't do anything about it. Setting Defense+ to Training before launching a game for the first time fixed it.

I haven't seen the other problem you mention.

MNC

FUCKING ACE, A SCREENSHOT FEATURE?!?!?!

I've been waiting for a steam file transferesque service for a loooong time.

MNC

Pngs not THAT much bigger of a filesize, right?

fake edit: I just took a picture of my desktop and jpg = 118kb, png = 146kb.

crimsonheadGCN said:
I also would not be surprised if Valve hired the development team that was working on Xfire before they were sold off and left the company.
Didn't they start raptr? That's the successor of Xfire as far as I know. Yep, seems so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptr

MNC said:
Pngs not THAT much bigger of a filesize, right?

fake edit: I just took a picture of my desktop and jpg = 118kb, png = 146kb.
DO NOT USE PNG pls! :( PNGs are laaaarge. They can be smaller for big areas with the same color but for screenshots you have like 350kb jpg and 900kb png with equal quality

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh suck it up Caesar, screens being a couple mb shouldn't phase you. Get a bigger hard drive if that matters. I don't want to have to deal with shitty ass fucking screens in the screenshot threads here more than I already do.

Stallion Free said:
Oh suck it up Caesar, screens being a couple mb shouldn't phase you. Get a bigger hard drive if that matters. I don't want to have to deal with shitty ass fucking screens in the screenshot threads here more than I already do.
I don't mind big screenshots because of my harddisk but because of my connection (300k, so 48kb down at max!)

PNG is not that useful for screenshots anyway. should be used for buttons, header graphics and vectorized stuff, not photos or screenshots which are photos to some degree. That said, jpg are half the size with same quality, even at 95%!

Kabouter

Caesar III said:
I don't mind big screenshots because of my harddisk but because of my connection (300k, so 48kb down at max!)

PNG is not that useful for screenshots anyway. should be used for buttons, header graphics and vectorized stuff, not photos or screenshots which are photos to some degree. That said, jpg are half the size with same quality, even at 95%!

Samoan internets?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kabouter said:
Samoan internets?

Jesus guys. Not everyone is living in the same sophisticated SUPERmetropolitan SUPERcities like most of Gaf seems to live in. A family I know (50km away) got their first telephone connection to their village 5 years back (their first modem connection last year). And we are living in germany and I can choose to have 10mb if I wanted to.
I mean seriously, give him a break.

(Sorry for overreacting. Bad Day.)

Anyway. He is right about the png's. The quality isnt much better depending on the quality level you chose. So just for all the educated people telling things about stuff they obviously never tried:
A Screenshot I just made. I wont tell you which is BMP, PNG or JPEG (if you dont look at the links at the image file you are likely not to find out) But I will tell you that the bmp is 850 kb, the png 750 and the jpeg 250 kb.
(Hint: The jpeg one is the one that looks exactly like the others but loads the fastest. Go figure.)

evdpjn.jpg

2r4l7kh.jpg

34iizoh.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Caesar III said:
They won't notice! They all load instantly if they are under 1mb :(

The thing is... its 1/3 to 1/4 of the size for the same quality. There is no reason NOT to use jpegs for this kind of stuff unless you intentionally want to piss off people with lower bandwidths.

I can't remember what thread it was but there was one these days where the op had tons of png instead of jpg and it took ages to load this shit :(

Toma said:
A Screenshot I just made. I wont tell you which is BMP, PNG or JPEG (if you dont look at the links at the image file you are likely not to find out) But I will tell you that the bmp is 850 kb, the png 750 and the jpeg 250 kb.
(Hint: The jpeg one is the one that looks exactly like the others but loads the fastest. Go figure.)
The first picture looks like ass
smallest file size, so no surprise there, I'll say JPG
, look how much detail is lost in the relief on the wall let alone everywhere else - bottom looks best

Toma

Darkflight said:
The first picture looks like ass
smallest file size, so no surprise there, I'll say JPG
, look how much detail is lost in the relief on the wall let alone everywhere else - bottom looks best

Well you know... Thats a funny thing. Cause the first picture is the uncompressed bmp.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeam, tinypic has pretty ridiculous compression. Try hosting it on Picasa/Photobucket/Photoshop.com or something.

Toma

Lyphen said:
Yeam, tinypic has pretty ridiculous compression. Try hosting it on Picasa/Photobucket/Photoshop.com or something.

Just a second.

Toma

Blizzard said:
I guessed the JPG correctly, try using abload.de and not converting the file type.

I mean you guessed correctly even though someone else said that the first one looked the worst. I really think its VERY hard to see a general difference. I changed the order around for anyone who wants to take a serious guess. Uploaded on photobucket and Abload.

anyway photobucket:

KLEIN1.png

KLEIN2.jpg

KLEIN3.jpg

Abload:

klein1vdoi.png

klein2sfhj.jpg

klein32cky.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hahahahaha, those pictures are resized to shit anyways. Go put the full 1080p so people can actually see the finer detail.

Also, the biggest beef I have with jpeg is that people either set the quality level too low or they don't know any better. AND IT CAN BACKFIRE LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.

I only post jpegs on Gaf, but I start with .bmp and I make damn sure the quality levels make it so there is no loss when switching to the jpeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom