• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
crimsonheadGCN said:
Railworks 2 has been released and it is currently 50% off for the launch special, which brings the price down to $19.99. It has Steam Cloud, Leaderboard, and I believe Achievements. Plus the DLC from the previous game seems compatible and it has much better graphical engine.

Those who purchased the previous one will get upgraded to the sequel for free.
So I have to ask, what do you actually do in this game. I find myself tempted to buy it purely because it recreates part of a line that I used to take fairly often, but the price is a little steep just to simulate a train journey that I usually slept through anyway. Does the enjoyment mainly come from building railroads?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poppabk said:
So I have to ask, what do you actually do in this game. I find myself tempted to buy it purely because it recreates part of a line that I used to take fairly often, but the price is a little steep just to simulate a train journey that I usually slept through anyway. Does the enjoyment mainly come from building railroads?
The enjoyment comes from operating a complex train.

To anybody who has played Axel and Pixel. Is it possible to actually progress further than the part where you have to break the dam? I read you need to get 6 leaks in it for it to crumble, I however can only get 4 leaks no matter how many times i hit it from every single angle possible. I almost fell asleep doing this and decided to shut it off and never play it again.

But I kinda do want to play it again.

Does the Polynomial have no sound effects (shooting/explosions/etc.?) and only music? Tried the demo, is trippy and awesome. Probably beats out Brainpipe in trippy-factor.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Steam Surges Past 30 Million Accounts

Valve revealed figures for its Steam service today that dramatically illustrate its strength in the digital distribution market. Compared to a year ago, Steam added 178% more new accounts over the past 12 months, pushing its total user base over 30 million. These users stay active, too, with over six million of them accessing Steam each day. To meet this increased load Steam has upgraded its infrastructure to run at 400Gps which, as the press release relates, is enough bandwidth to transmit the Oxford English Dictionary 92.6 times per second.

Valve president Gabe Newell said this about the growth:

Steam is on track to record the biggest year in its six year history. The year has marked major development advances to the platform with the introduction of support for Mac titles, the Steam Wallet and in-game item buying support, and more. We believe the growth in accounts, sales, and player numbers is completely tied to this work and we plan to continue to develop the platform to offer more marketing, sales, and design tools for developers and publishers of games and digital entertainment.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66058

UrbanRats

Ubersnug said:
And we all know that Gabe is going to celebrate this news by giving us an awesome sale this Xmas!!!
I have a lot of stuff in my wishlist, waiting for that.
My account will burn in the holidays. :lol

The Ball looks rather awesome, at first watching the trailer I just expected it to be portal with a ball, but by the end of it killing demons and huge monsters :lol so awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Diablohead said:
The Ball looks rather awesome, at first watching the trailer I just expected it to be portal with a ball, but by the end of it killing demons and huge monsters :lol so awesome.
I agree completely.

snack

Hey Steam-GAF,

I have that annoying problem with MW2, every time when I switch between accounts the MW2 is being downloaded all over again.

So for example when a friend comes over and logs onto his steam, we have to download MW2 all over again.

Same happens if I switch back to my account. I tried verifying the files, removing them from the common directory, and then putting them back... nothing seems to help.

Any solution for that?

Thanks!

Grug

Due to buying Orange Box for Portal/TF2, I have a spare free copy of Half Life 2 for whoever calls dibs first. If you already own it, don't be a greedy prick.

Shaneus

Grug said:
Due to buying Orange Box for Portal/TF2, I have a spare free copy of Half Life 2 for whoever calls dibs first. If you already own it, don't be a greedy prick.
Dibs?

Edit: It would be nice, but I'm not desperate to have it... I actually have Orange on 360 but not PC.

confused

Banned
Grug said:

Dibs for my little brother please ?

Edit : Beated

Grug

Shaneus said:
Dibs?

Edit: It would be nice, but I'm not desperate to have it... I actually have Orange on 360 but not PC.

Hmm, I think you're disqualified on a technicality then. Sorry :/

confused said:
Dibs for my little brother please ?

Edit : Beated

PM me your email address confused.

SmokyDave

Picked up Polynomial last night. I really enjoyed it with a joint and The Lost Beats EP by The Prodigy. I treated it like an interactive visualiser and had great fun but I'm not sure how solid the gameplay and scoring mechanic would be if you took the game seriously.

One big gripe: It claims controller support but I'll be damned if I could find it. Ended up playing it one handed on a trackpad but I still enjoyed it. Mind you, I enjoyed Space Giraffe.

Joe Molotov said:
He's already giving us Railworks 2 for $19.99 OH MY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Unless you already own Railworks (as I do) and then you get upgraded to the sequel for free. No matter how you feel about train sims, that's pretty damned awesome.

Shaneus

SmokyDave said:
Picked up Polynomial last night. I really enjoyed it with a joint and The Lost Beats EP by The Prodigy. I treated it like an interactive visualiser and had great fun but I'm not sure how solid the gameplay and scoring mechanic would be if you took the game seriously.

One big gripe: It claims controller support but I'll be damned if I could find it. Ended up playing it one handed on a trackpad but I still enjoyed it. Mind you, I enjoyed Space Giraffe.
This. When people claim a game is like Rez yet it doesn't have controller support (never mind the fact that Steam says it does) you'd better believe I'll be pissed.

Railworks 2 is really cheap now

ohlol.jpg

:lol

Edit: Fuck... too late.

Someone needs to start the official Railworks 2 thread so that SmokyDave can be the only one who posts in it. :lol I think he is the only one on NeoGAF who owns it.

JADS

dark_inferno said:
Railworks 2 is really cheap now

/http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9590/ohlol.jpg

:lol

Edit: Fuck... too late.

The scary thing is that Railworks + DLC is still much cheaper than buying a quality model train set. That shit is expensive :lol

Blablurn

Eaten By A Grue said:
Someone needs to start the official Railworks 2 thread so that SmokyDave can be the only one who posts in it. :lol I think he is the only one on NeoGAF who owns it.

i was about to buy it.... but i don't know :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Eaten By A Grue said:

\O

I have it :p, but only because I already owned the original so I got the free upgrade which was a nice surprise, the new GFX's engine is a lot better in terms of frame-rate, I'm not really a big train person but I used to take a lot of train journeys as a child so it's more of a nostalgia trip for me doing the same journeys again virtually, plus it's quite relaxing.

lowrider007 said:
\O

I have it :p, but only because I already owned the original so I got the free upgrade which was a nice surprise, the new GFX's engine is a lot better in terms of frame-rate, I'm not really a big train person but I used to take a lot of train journeys as a child so it's more of a nostalgia trip for me doing the same journeys again virtually, plus it's quite relaxing.
It probably is not a bad game by any means, it looks like the MS Flight Simulator of the train world. I would not mind trying it out. I just find it funny how not that many people appear to buy the game, but the keep pumping out DLC in the form of trains and sell them at a premium price.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Eaten By A Grue said:
It probably is not a bad game by any means, it looks like the MS Flight Simulator of the train world. I would not mind trying it out. I just find it funny how not that many people appear to buy the game, but the keep pumping out DLC in the form of trains and sell them at a premium price.
It's not really that surprising, considering that traditionally, sim games have the most active modding communities. So the game probably has customized content in mind and thus makes developing additional content easy. Hence the pumping.

Ionic

I'm beginning to own a lot of games I'd like to play with a 360 controller. Can I just buy a normal 360 wireless controller and the little wireless receiver thing and have it work, or do I need to buy some special Wireless Controller for Windows kind of thing?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ionic said:
I'm beginning to own a lot of games I'd like to play with a 360 controller. Can I just buy a normal 360 wireless controller and the little wireless receiver thing and have it work, or do I need to buy some special Wireless Controller for Windows kind of thing?

The wireless receiver thing works with any 360 controllers. I've got four controllers and the one that actually ends up getting used for PC games varies pretty wildly, so no worries there.

Polk

Stallion Free said:
Holy shit. That is really cool that the DLC carries over. People are saving a couple grand because of that.
It's not that uncommon in simulation games. Many of addons for MSFS worked with different versions. But yes, thats nice for them.

poppabk

Ionic said:
I would recommend a wired controller unless you require the wireless. Its cheaper, requires no batteries and has zero issues with compatibility whereas the wireless has some (very infrequent) issues with some games.

poppabk said:
I would recommend a wired controller unless you require the wireless. Its cheaper, requires no batteries and has zero issues with compatibility whereas the wireless has some (very infrequent) issues with some games.
I never had such a game since today, fuck you dead rising 2 :lol

gregor7777 said:
Awww balls, what's the issue there?
it doesn't recognize the wireless xbox 360 controller. It's a small bug but there is no fix yet :( I have the retail game though. Doesn't make a difference, won't work with steam as well. But there is a workaround with some emulator. It did not work for me that way so I use kb/m so far. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Zzoram

I was lucky enough to buy a wired 360 pad labelled as being for windows for $40. I figured why not, it works with a 360 and is $10 cheaper than the identical but differently packaged wired 360 pad lol.

I think they were just clearing the controllers labelled for windows out because they were confusing customers.

JADS said:
The scary thing is that Railworks + DLC is still much cheaper than buying a quality model train set. That shit is expensive :lol

Only if you're talking about the O gauge that are set to scale otherwise they're not that expensive relatively speaking.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
crimsonheadGCN said:
Railworks 2 is in the top 10 <3

;p
Finally, haters can eat it! I'll never understand the complaints about Railworks and DLC. Its so freakin' cheap compared to the material hobby.

vermadas

I've had two of those wireless gaming receivers die on me. Both of them lasted about a year of very light use. Amazon reviews complain about high voltage requirements so maybe my mobo wasn't feeding them enough (or consistent enough) power? Either way, they seem poorly designed. I've since just rolled with a wired 360 controller to save myself the headaches.

denomes

Zzoram said:
I was lucky enough to buy a wired 360 pad labelled as being for windows for $40. I figured why not, it works with a 360 and is $10 cheaper than the identical but differently packaged wired 360 pad lol.

I think they were just clearing the controllers labelled for windows out because they were confusing customers.

Lucky! I'm looking for a wireless one for PC but I'm not having a lot of luck finding one. The wireless dongle for PC is also hard to come by.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Railworks 2 is dope as fuck. Smooth as shit, badass sound, and was FREE for me since I had the first one.

Railworks 2 represent! Badass motherfuckin train sim. Check it out. You might be surprised.

graywolf323

Sunflower said:
Railworks 2 is dope as fuck. Smooth as shit, badass sound, and was FREE for me since I had the first one.

Railworks 2 represent! Badass motherfuckin train sim. Check it out. You might be surprised.

I did enjoy Sid Meier's Railroads...

sadly I don't even have $20 right now

poppabk

vermadas said:
I've had two of those wireless gaming receivers die on me. Both of them lasted about a year of very light use. Amazon reviews complain about high voltage requirements so maybe my mobo wasn't feeding them enough (or consistent enough) power? Either way, they seem poorly designed. I've since just rolled with a wired 360 controller to save myself the headaches.
Apparently it is a design flaw where a fuse will blow if it gets too hot (sound familiar). It is an easy fix requiring soldering across the fuse connection according to google searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom