• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheExodu5 said:
I saved them to my PC so I could easily swap the pictures. It's pretty impossible to tell which is the JPG.

This is exactly what I am talking about.
I am not starting to upload full resolution shots now, but if you are really trying to take a look at it there is hardly a way you can tell the difference. But its the same outcome for the picture in the native resolution. No way to tell that one picture is worse than the other.

Anyone else trying to see the difference: Download the pictures, put them over one another and just click through them.

Stallion Free said:
I only post jpegs on Gaf, but I start with .bmp and I make damn sure the quality levels make it so there is no loss when switching to the jpeg.

And this is how its supposed to be. Jpegs can look like shit but if you have the quality level high enough there isnt much of a quality loss if you use the right program to compress it to jpeg.

Stallion Free said:
Also, the biggest beef I have with jpeg is that people either set the quality level too low or they don't know any better. AND IT CAN BACKFIRE LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.
That's indeed right. Quality settings below 90% are useless, I'll give you that. and I save bmp or psd first to convert them later all the time myself. But PNG is not the format for pictures, period. Graphics != pictures. Screenshots = pictures.

TheExodu5

Banned
These shots are also fairly high frequency, and there is still no noticeable blocking or DCT patterns. As long as you maintain the same level of compression over high resolution shots, there's no reason they wouldn't look just as good.

On the previous page though, the first shot was definitely the worst. I'm guessing whatever site you used compressed the BMP because it was too big.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dice said:
Also, try a pic with a lot of reds. JPG will be 10x shittier.

I am not saying that jpg is the best format ever, but people really could start considering their usage. Especially in such a high frequented forum as GAF where there are more people to be considered than just your friends. Obviously, there are pictures that look the same as bmp or JPEG (even if this might not be the case for every picture), so why not use the smaller one in this case?

Oh and I am sorry to stir this up and to go offtopic in this thread. Has been a shitty week and I get really easily aggrevated at the moment. Sorry if I sounded rude somewhere.

TheExodu5

Banned
Toma said:
I am not saying that jpg is the best format ever, but people really could start considering their usage. Especially in such a high frequented forum as GAF where there are more people to be considered than just your friends. Obviously, there are pictures that look the same as bmp or JPEG (even if this might not be the case for every picture), so why not use the smaller one in this case?

Oh and I am sorry to stir this up and to go offtopic in this thread. Has been a shitty week and I get really easily aggrevated at the moment. Sorry if I sounded rude somewhere.

Your avatar is awesome.

And you can go all out in those dedicated "I use 100x downscaling and 24xAA to make these" threads. I really love them and I appriciate your work. It takes about 30minutes to load one of those pages though. In those I don't mind the bigger images at all. Was impressed by them just yesterday. The worst is that tinypic and some others have a timeout for their pictures. I cannot see some of those awesome gifs cause they stop loading after a certain time. Same with some really big png/bmp pictures which take ages. I have to open those in an extra tab and shift reload to see them actually :(

So please stop being that selfish, thank you :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Toma said:
I am not saying that jpg is the best format ever, but people really could start considering their usage. Especially in such a high frequent forum as GAF. Obviously, there are pictures that look the same as bmp or JPEG (even if this might not be the case for every picture), so why not use the smaller one in this case?

I do use the smaller one, but I am intelligent about my conversion jpeg. 9 times out of 10, the internet isn't and it looks GODDAMN AWFUL.

Go look at my Skydrive photoalbums here: http://cid-ae3b5583d7854eab.photos.live.com/albums.aspx

Those are all jpegs and they are all fucking immaculate quality.

Toma

TheExodu5 said:
Your avatar is awesome.

Haha thank you. I loved that scene, which also reminds me that I have a movie interested neighbour whom I really should ask whether he already watched that movie.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Oh jesus fucking christ take the argument somewhere else.

I know i posted stuff about The Polynomial last night but i was pretty fucking drunk when i saw it, bought it and played it. I played it again today sober and i still have no clue what is going on. I shoot shit and go through blackholes and make jiffy pop in the microwave and nothing ever really seems to happen.

zombieshavebrains said:
I know i posted stuff about The Polynomial last night but i was pretty fucking drunk when i saw it, bought it and played it. I played it again today sober and i still have no clue what is going on. I shoot shit and go through blackholes and make jiffy pop in the microwave and nothing ever really seems to happen.
:lol

I need to try this tomorrow myself. A friend of mine doesn't like it though. I don't know what to think about this game and what it is from those screens lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I tried Polynomial for like an hour or a bit less. I think it's basically drugs in digital form for people who don't want to actually abuse substances. :lol I feel like it'd be really cool if you could actually fly faster, but I could only seem to speed up with the speed boost (runs out quickly), some sort of boost star thing (only localized to that area), and the big wavy music synthesized point clouds...they worked the best, but only sometimes, and typically if I started moving too quickly I would fly off of the curve and go back to slow-mo speed. I did figure out how to change arenas with the black hole, and you can endlessly shoot the enemy robots.

Oddly enough, the one thing that sticks out was that it made me want a new space flight/combat simulator game, along the lines of X-Wing. ;_; If it's that easy to make cool-looking space clouds and such, at locked 60 fps, surely someone could stick some 3D models in there, and tone down the really bright bloom and colors.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Blizzard said:
Oddly enough, the one thing that sticks out was that it made me want a new space flight/combat simulator game, along the lines of X-Wing. ;_; If it's that easy to make cool-looking space clouds and such, at locked 60 fps, surely someone could stick some 3D models in there, and tone down the really bright bloom and colors.

This really needs to happen. Another Freespace, a modernized X-wing vs. Tie Fighter, something. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard. You could appeal to the IL2 crowd by having a control scheme that has a button for everything and then some other schemes for people who want a kb/m or controller set up. We have the technology for epic space battles and gorgeous space backgrounds.

Toma

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I tried Polynomial for like an hour or a bit less. I think it's basically drugs in digital form for people who don't want to actually abuse substances. :lol I feel like it'd be really cool if you could actually fly faster, but I could only seem to speed up with the speed boost (runs out quickly), some sort of boost star thing (only localized to that area), and the big wavy music synthesized point clouds...they worked the best, but only sometimes, and typically if I started moving too quickly I would fly off of the curve and go back to slow-mo speed. I did figure out how to change arenas with the black hole, and you can endlessly shoot the enemy robots.

Not everything is in line with the music? Does it work for every kind of music? Or better for Dance and whatnot. I cant check it at the moment but hopefully can try out the demo before the offer ends.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
JPEG nazis / low bandwidth folks: There's an option in USER CP for you:
Edit Options -> Thread Display Elements -> Visible Post Elements -> Show Images
If that's set to FALSE, images will appear as links. So then, you can pick the images you want to view.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PedroLumpy said:
Did you end up trying Blacklight: Tango Down?
Yeah, it a while to find a game and then it was only 3v3 and then 2 people quit and the game looked mediocre and didn't feel polished and the P2P netcode sucked. Pretty much a waste of 7.50$ that would have been kind of saved by dedicated servers which are pretty much required for indie multiplayer shooters who have tiny communities.

1-D_FTW

zombieshavebrains said:
This really needs to happen. Another Freespace, a modernized X-wing vs. Tie Fighter, something. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard. You could appeal to the IL2 crowd by having a control scheme that has a button for everything and then some other schemes for people who want a kb/m or controller set up. We have the technology for epic space battles and gorgeous space backgrounds.

http://naumachia.aureasection.com/

Supposedly this will release one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8usuG0avM

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, it a while to find a game and then it was only 3v3 and then 2 people quit and the game looked mediocre and didn't feel polished and the P2P netcode sucked. Pretty much a waste of 7.50$ that would have been kind of saved by dedicated servers which are pretty much required for indie multiplayer shooters who have tiny communities.

Le sigh, thanks for the update/taking one for the team.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I finally got around to trying King's Bounty...only to discover that 10.9 ATI drivers, on a 5850, produce full screen flickering problems, especially when bringing up the Steam overlay. Apparently this has been around since 10.8 and maybe to a minor extent in 10.7. I kind of doubt the 10.10 drivers will fix it but I suppose I will give them a shot when they're out. For now, I'm all the way back to 10.5, but at least the flickering is gone.

deleted

A friend of mine just got bought the german version of the claptrap DLC for his english Borderlands copy. Problem is that is doesn't work and has some kind of region code, that prevents them from working together.

He's thinking about getting a refund from Valve because the game doesn't work. There where storys floating around, about a whole account shutdown, if you would go for a refund. Is there any truth in these rumors and is there another solution to get the DLC to work or his money back?

As I see it, its not even possible to gift him the DLC from the UK or US because he already owns it...

Nabs

Asking Valve for a refund was never a problem. I think you're thinking of the people who issue chargebacks with their cc comp. or paypal.

corn_fest

Isn't the (true) rumor that if you do a chargeback to your credit card, they'll ban your account? Valve isn't going to ban your account just for asking.

deleted

Ahh ok, it was the credit card chargeback thing I had on my mind. Should be safe then.

Nevertheless I find it interesting that they added the regional restrictions with the fourth DLC. Never was a problem with Dr. Ned or General Knox, only with this one it won't work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PedroLumpy said:
Le sigh, thanks for the update/taking one for the team.
Haha, no problem.

John said:
Stallion, what program do you use to mass-convert .bmps to .jpgs?
I actually go through picture by picture (after pairing the set down to only the shots I want) and resize and save them in photoshop. This process usually leads to more flawed shots being found, further refining the set. Yes, I put effort into it.

tempus67

Neo Member
Big-E said:
Can anyone tell me about Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes. Indie Startegy RPG seems like it could be interesting.

Seems ok three missions in. Clunky, mediocre sound and graphics, but the fundamentals of a SRPG are there and so far it's funnier than deathspank, which it's kind of similar to (satirizing the genre). For the price it seems decent, especially if you're an SRPG fan. They're pretty rare on the PC.

Stallion Free said:
Do you mean it took a while to find a game because of the system, or because no one was playing it?

Big-E said:
Can anyone tell me about Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes. Indie Startegy RPG seems like it could be interesting.

I just finished it. Clocked in at around ten hours. Cons are has horrendous camera, some encountered bugs that a restart of the program fixed, pretty simple battle strategies, no real challenge at the normal difficulty level, misogynous even though they claim humor and zero replay value.

On the up side I enjoyed the ten hour ride enough to actually finish the game despite all that. I think it's worth the money if you like srpg's and are ready to forgive it's many faults. I just hope you like backtracking if you buy it :lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So out of curiosity, how good is the emulation in the Genesis games on Steam? If it's on par with say... Gens or Kega, I'll probably pick up Shinobi III and Shadow Dancer, but if it's more Backbone-developed garbage, I'll just nab the original carts at some point...

Polk

Chacranajxy said:
So out of curiosity, how good is the emulation in the Genesis games on Steam? If it's on par with say... Gens or Kega, I'll probably pick up Shinobi III and Shadow Dancer, but if it's more Backbone-developed garbage, I'll just nab the original carts at some point...
Sega used Kega emulator at one point on PC releases, so this might be based on that.

RickA238

Does anyone have an extra Steam copy of Counter-Strike: Source or Counter-Strike that they are willing to sell for cheap? PM me. I lost my old CS key a long time ago...

Hey guys, I asked this in the Steam Gifting thread, but I don't think people check that very often, is there any chance someone from the US could gift me Fallout: New Vegas?

It's $90US where I live unfortunately.

I can pay by paypal instantly, my steam ID is davonaytor

markot

Banned
I opted into the steam beta client thingyo, and I dont get none of the newness >.>

Alsooooooooo, its constantly 'synchronizing' now...

Railworks 2 has been released and it is currently 50% off for the launch special, which brings the price down to $19.99. It has Steam Cloud, Leaderboard, and I believe Achievements. Plus the DLC from the previous game seems compatible and it has much better graphical engine.

Those who purchased the previous one will get upgraded to the sequel for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom