• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, you pretty much just gotta accept that Railworks is like Jesus on a track - it's pretty goddamn amazing, and I encourage everyone who has even a mild interest in it to check it out for $20. You can just drive, but you also have missions you can do in scenarios, like "bring these dudes here and pick up other dudes, then move em there" or "Hey you got a train full of gravel, come dump that shit out here and pick up this fucking steel and roll it back down to this other place" hittin junctions and shit.

Good times. Do it up.

ksimm

So erm, can you just make a little track and put trains on it, like a model railway?

Edit:: I have a free copy of HL2 and HL2 EP1 if anyone would like to play.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Leonsito said:
Anyone remembers Microsoft Train Simulator ?

I fucking loved that game.
I have it lying right here.

Actually, I sold it once (with a few expansions). Then I bought it again because it's so good :lol

Only have 1 expansion right now, Hamburg - Flensburg, but it's a good one. Best one probably was Köln - Frankfurt. Or Leipzig - Dresden. One of the early ProTrain expansions, surely. They're ace.

Sunflower said:
I mean, you pretty much just gotta accept that Railworks is like Jesus on a track - it's pretty goddamn amazing, and I encourage everyone who has even a mild interest in it to check it out for $20. You can just drive, but you also have missions you can do in scenarios, like "bring these dudes here and pick up other dudes, then move em there" or "Hey you got a train full of gravel, come dump that shit out here and pick up this fucking steel and roll it back down to this other place" hittin junctions and shit.

Good times. Do it up.
I need the right tracks — hometurf or bust. And the right trains, obviously.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sunflower said:

Good times. Do it up.
I dunno. That sounds a lot like work.

poppabk said:
Apparently it is a design flaw where a fuse will blow if it gets too hot (sound familiar). It is an easy fix requiring soldering across the fuse connection according to google searches.

Yeah that happened to me, but I fixed it with a $12 Circuit Writer pen from Fry's. Works fine now. However, I read somewhere that without the fuse the adapter might draw excess current and for that reason, it's not a good idea to plug it directly into your motherboard as there's a risk of it damaging something. Instead, I plug it into a cheap powered USB hub I got somewhere and that plugs into the motherboard.

wmat said:
I have it lying right here.

Actually, I sold it once (with a few expansions). Then I bought it again because it's so good :lol

Only have 1 expansion right now, Hamburg - Flensburg, but it's a good one. Best one probably was Köln - Frankfurt. Or Leipzig - Dresden. One of the early ProTrain expansions, surely. They're ace.

I need the right tracks — hometurf or bust. And the right trains, obviously.

I really should not buy railworks, i resisted the first one but damnit 20 bux is chump change...URGH. I also bought MTS twice, just because it was that good!

ksimm said:
So erm, can you just make a little track and put trains on it, like a model railway?

May I have the copy of hl2 ep1? Have it on 360 but would love another playthrough on the pc one :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
denomes said:
Lucky! I'm looking for a wireless one for PC but I'm not having a lot of luck finding one. The wireless dongle for PC is also hard to come by.
You could buy one of these fake ones:

Black: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31880
White: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31881
Translucent: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31902

And use any 360 controller you have laying around OR buy an official controller pack-in:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18437

I believe the red blister pack one is also available on Amazon, but I can't find it right now.

You can't buy the official receiver from Microsoft by itself anymore (not new anyway).

hamchan

Lyphen said:
Finally, haters can eat it! I'll never understand the complaints about Railworks and DLC. Its so freakin' cheap compared to the material hobby.
People hate on Railworks because the DLC releases dominate the New Releases list on the store.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
ksimm said:

Me if you don't mind, as I have yet to play either (don't hit me D: )

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ZoddGutts said:
How's Valve's Day of Defeat: Souce. Worth getting?
It was pretty good when I played it; I got it in a retail pack together with CSS in 2005 or so. Not sure how it holds up now.

It's very frantic, but makes sense for the most part. It made me VERY agressive because you die so often in the game. But that's alright, I enjoy games like that on occasion.

I think 10 bucks is a fair price for it, although it's multiplayer only, so if that's a problem for you, don't buy it!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Visualante said:
As long as you're going to. I hate it when people take freebies they have no intention of playing.

In b4 entitlement bullshit
Yes, that was the idea. Kudos for being a concerned citizen.

ksimm said:

I'm sure it's gone by now, but if HL2 is still available, I'd like it. I keep missing the super cheap sales on it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wtf if you don't own HL2 by now suck it up and buy it for 10$. If you can't bring yourself to pay 10$ for one of the greatest FPS ever, you have no right to be playing it.

graywolf323

BobsRevenge said:
Is Disciples 3 any good? I'm a huge fan of the second one.

reviews make it sound pretty mediocre at best, probably should wait for it to go even lower

probably will by the Holiday sale

Stallion Free said:
Wtf if you don't own HL2 by now suck it up and buy it for 10$. If you can't bring yourself to pay 10$ for one of the greatest FPS ever, you have no right to be playing it.
Then how will ksimm ever give his extra away?

Anyone thinking about Disciples III would be better off with Disciples II.

Stallion Free said:
That works out perfectly, then.

ZoddGutts said:
I don't know myself but I've heard that the original is better.

Recon

Banned
ZoddGutts said:

I think its really fun, but be prepared, a lot of the more populated server's are more racist than you would ever imagine. They really take their role as the germans seriously.

Damn I just watched a Railworks video where some guy was using a train drive control just like someone would buy a steering wheel for driving games. It looks fun as hell. I used to have a ton of model trains as a kid and watching videos on YouTube is making my urge to purchase this game is rising. I always made fun of this game and now that I actually watched videos of it is bringing up memories of me playing with my train table. Fuuuuuuuuuck

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ReconYoda said:
I think its really fun, but be prepared, a lot of the more populated server's are more racist than you would ever imagine. They really take their role as the germans seriously.
I hear it's trendy nowadays to be racist as a German (fuck-you's go out to Merkel, Wulff, whoever else is a racist cunt deep inside).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just bought Tales of Monkey Island due to the sale. Can I play it without playing the rest of the series just fine or need prior knowledge?

I don't think the prior games are strictly necessary, but they definitely establish the characters and relationships. If you can, I would recommend playing at least the first game before Tales because Tales kind of assumes you already know the characters. If not, though, you'll probably be able to figure out the basic dynamic quickly.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
faceless007 said:
I don't think the prior games are strictly necessary, but they definitely establish the characters and relationships. If you can, I would recommend playing at least the first game before Tales because Tales kind of assumes you already know the characters. If not, though, you'll probably be able to figure out the basic dynamic quickly.
Alright. This is more for my roommate who recently is getting into adventure games (random ones on PSN and she was playing Kings Quest 1 today) so Im helping her out. Just remembered I got Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition on some random steam sale :lol :lol Will that do fine for itself and also Tales?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Seeing Disciples 3 on sale breaks my heart. Not because it's worth more than twenty dollars, oh no. Because seeing it advertised reminds me that it exists.

53hoursoftragedy.jpg

That is 53 hours of heartbreak, right there.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
zoku88 said:
So... Disciples II is pretty much like HOMM?

Give Heroes of Might and Magic a more unified model of territorial and resource control and make your hero and their army function sort of like an RPG party and you're in the ballpark.

Maybe even in the infield.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ixix said:
Seeing Disciples 3 on sale breaks my heart. Not because it's worth more than twenty dollars, oh no. Because seeing it advertised reminds me that it exists.

53hoursoftragedy.jpg

That is 53 hours of heartbreak, right there.

You played a game you hated for 53 hours? o_O

deleted

wmat said:
I hear it's trendy nowadays to be racist as a German (fuck-you's go out to Merkel, Wulff, whoever else is a racist cunt deep inside).

Wait, you mean Wulff, who said, that we need new immigrants and that the Islam is part of the new german identity and culture?

Merkel was a bit controversial with her statements, but in her defense: It should be one of Germany's highest prioritys to integrate the immigrants that are coming here. And the politicians can't really say they succeeded on this matter in the past..

On topic: I'm really tempted to buy Disciplines II. I always wanted to try it when it came out, but I was basically playing HoMM 3 at the time.
I just want to buy one game this week and if I have to decide between D II and Minecraft, I think I'll try something new first and get this in the inevitable holiday sale :D

ksimm

Mr Nightman said:
May I have the copy of hl2 ep1? Have it on 360 but would love another playthrough on the pc one :D

You get HL2 EP1

X05 said:
Me if you don't mind, as I have yet to play either (don't hit me D: )

You get HL 2

:)

Both of you PM me your email or steam name and I will send you the games.
Going to work, back in 8 hours. >:[

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
xyla said:
Wait, you mean Wulff, who said, that we need new immigrants and that the Islam is part of the new german identity and culture?

Merkel was a bit controversial with her statements, but in her defense: It should be one of Germany's highest prioritys to integrate the immigrants that are coming here. And the politicians can't really say they succeeded on this matter in the past..
Maybe I'm out of synch with the recent back-pedalling, I don't know. If so, sorry. I don't stand a chance in a proper politic debate or analysis anyhow, so I'm gonna back out of this.

xyla said:
On topic: I'm really tempted to buy Disciplines II. I always wanted to try it when it came out, but I was basically playing HoMM 3 at the time.
I just want to buy one game this week and if I have to decide between D II and Minecraft, I think I'll try something new first and get this in the inevitable holiday sale :D
Get both. It's $5 and very good.

Grug

Sunflower said:

Good times. Do it up.

I've almost been sold on this. Am I insane?

Anyone want to talk me down from the building ledge?

SmokyDave

I'm feeling the Railworks love in here :)

I still can't believe they upgraded me to the sequel for free. That's unprecedented in my gaming life.

Grug said:
I've almost been sold on this. Am I insane?

Anyone want to talk me down from the building ledge?
Watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look, if you haven't already.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eaten By A Grue said:
Damn I just watched a Railworks video where some guy was using a train drive control just like someone would buy a steering wheel for driving games. It looks fun as hell. I used to have a ton of model trains as a kid and watching videos on YouTube is making my urge to purchase this game is rising. I always made fun of this game and now that I actually watched videos of it is bringing up memories of me playing with my train table. Fuuuuuuuuuck

Buy that shit. You sound like their target customer. Do it. You'll be happy. DO IT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SmokyDave said:
I'm feeling the Railworks love in here :)

I still can't believe they upgraded me to the sequel for free. That's unprecedented in my gaming life.

I know, I saw Railworks 2 released and tried to buy it, and it wouldn't let me. I then noticed it was downloading Railworks 2, and my boner ripped its way out of my pants. Totally awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom