• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
I know its not the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but i have a perfectly good steam code for Fallout:New Vegas that i want to get rid of, anyone looking for this game?

Remy

So Archon Classic just got the iOS versions price slashed this weekend with this message...

99 cent SALE in celebration of ARCHON PC releasing on STEAM and DIRECT-2-DRIVE.

So I guess it's coming to Steam (and D2D) soon? Maybe? It's been on Impulse for a while.

Recon

Banned
ohhthegore said:
eeek not a bad price man, ill see if I can do some convincing to the wife. Don't feel the need to wait on me though if someone else offers to pay

Its ok,i have a couple left, so if you decide your gonna get, just pm me to see if i have some left, thanks!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
poppabk said:
800x600 and low settings might get 20-30FPS. Its not gonna be pretty though.
A friend of mine played through the game with that GPU on med-high settings at 720p.
It stuttered quite a bit and wasn't smooth at all, but it was definitely playable.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fewr said:
I care. What games is the cheapo Diablo Clone?

Okay. Numen.
numen08040402a_1207281826.jpg

Hm.. Well lets say I was trying to play it with the thought in mind that its a cheap 2$ Diablo Clone (which it actually isnt because it was released for 40 or 50€ and its not isometric).

Anyway, the controls:
Actually they are not that big of an issue if you dont want to control with WASD. You cant control the character Diablo like by clicking to a spot because the camera is pretty near your character, not too far zoomed out, and you are inclined to play over the shoulder view instead of overhead view. You can control the character pretty well by walking forward with w and pressing the right mouse button to shift the camera in the direction you want to go.
Works pretty well I'd say.

Graphics:
Well its... not ugly but... dated. Art direction can make up for a lot but this thing is definitely not something you play for graphics or art direction, some of the enemies look nice though.

Gameplay:
The fights are a bit slow. Some of the enemies do look nice, I dare to say somewhat even original designed and you might get the occasional "i need to fight THAT?" moment. The fighting system you choose to use (bow, handweapon, magic) is a bit unflexible for my tastes but you randomly get new magic after leveling up. Which is fine in itself, but you dont have much choice over the skills you get. In the end you dont NEED more but it would be nicer to get the feeling that you played the game a bit more creatively instead of taking what has been chosen for you.
However it was nice that some monster do actually have "resistances" to some attacks so you need to adjust your fighting style a bit... but only a bit since the game is pretty easy (also due to the simple combat) and also gives you levels at a constant rate. You gain a level every 5 minutes more or less.
Also fighting is a bit .. unflexible. You can and will choose between different attacks so you have some variations but since the characters are pretty limited in their movements you just stand there while spamming magic and hope that you enemies die before you do. Walking backwards and attacking (even with the ranged classes) is impossible since the movement is soooo slow backwards.

Story:
Weeeeeeell... Its bad, and even worse written. They really wanted you to care about that and so they sometimes wrote quite a lot to "immerse" you into the story but its just.. well.. bad.

Loot:
The thing that Torchlight and Diablo nailed was the Loot. Which is exactly where Numen fails. Even quite a bit into the game I constantly got the same items as drops by enemies. Another thing that bugged me was the inventory system. It was too small and not confortable to read and really would need some more colors or other distinctions to make it easier to browse through the items as I basically sometimes just picked up the stuff and didnt care much about what I found (also due to the fact that it was too easy and not that necessary to be up to date with your gear the whole time)
Also there is not much for ... values added to your armor and weapons. You get +12 to armor, + 3 strength and all variants but nothing like "absorb mana", "12% faster walking speed" and all that.
But at least your character changes according to the items you put on.

Conclusion:
Setting, enemies are nice sometimes, but the overall graphic makes it feel dated. Okayish way to fill the Loot urge, but nowhere near as good as Torchlight in that regard. For 2 bucks it fills 1 or 2 boring evenings (since its short) if you dont mind doing simple minded actions.

And now off to Puzzle Bots, see whether I bought at least 1 good game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Puzzle Bots (5€):
puzzle-bots.png

Story:
The story is not really worth mentioning (basically you are experiencing some sort of cliche cheesy love story with a ... twist, but not a very good one.), but the different stereotypes and reactions by the robots got the a few chuckles out of me. Actually the conversations between the robots are one of the main points to play this game, with the other one being the use of the robots in the puzzle. They really nailed it to give those robots a personality, making them unique and adorable.
And press the hint button once in a while (in the base for example). They hid some nice jokes in there.

Graphics:
Pixelart! Lots of lovely Pixelart. The characters dont look too good, but every object and the robots make it in my opinion. When first starting up you play a resized full desktop version. Immediately leave the game and restart in window mode as the graphics are just upscaled which makes the art look less good.

Gameplay:
You have different characters with different attributes (one picks up items, the next one pushes objects etc ) with which you need to interact with the world to get to the next level. Think of it as a more simple Zack and Wiki where you interact with household items. It is really compelling to guide the robots through the puzzles and find the right interactions. On top of that its a nice, even though not difficult, additional task to look for bonus items to unlock concept art and a bloopers section (Be sure to find it in every level, because you cant replay levels)
There is no major flaw in the gameplay except maybe for the fact that some levels are a bit too easy. You look at the level, think of the first step to the solution, start using a robot for task a, change to the next for task b ...etc... until you got to the end of the level. It would be nice if you could change robots by selecting them with the number keys but the levels are sometimes pretty cleverly designed. Oh and if you are stuck there is a hint system in place. The last level might take you longer than it should however due to some sort of bug if you encounter it.

Sound:
Music that fits with the style of the game but gets repetitive if you are stuck in a level for too long. However there are some really nice tunes and they change with each level so if you are not stuck for hours the music should be pleasant. Nice use of a few music notes used in a VERY popular different game at the beginning of the game by the way.

Conclusion:
Buy it if you like clever adventurish Indie puzzle games and cute robots. Was worth the buy for me but might be unenjoayable for people who want their puzzle games to be hardly to crack. My girlfriend will probably like this as well. Also: Play in window mode.

Ah, hell. Finally bought batman for 13 bucks. I guess it's time. I'm off to see if it's any good.

EDIT: ah, god, this GFWL bullshit is fucking awful. It's been fighting me for like 20 minutes, I just want to the play the damn game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, how hard is it to copy and paste the CD key in? Do you have this sort of struggle everytime you make an account? That shit is seriously basic. There are things I don't like about GFWL, but setting up the account to play games was basic shit.

Prezhulio

hmmm just now noticed they dropped mass effect 2 to $19.99 like amazon has had for a while.

i've been waiting for about 3 months since i built my new gaming pc to see if they do a mass effect sale as i need to play both, but i'm pretty anxious to get started on the series. i have plenty of games to finish up, but this is one of those "i built a pc to play" type games since i don't have a 360.

i haven't heard any rumblings of a bundle of 1 and 2 coming out anytime soon (right?), and presumably a goty type edition with dlc would come next year AFTER the fact. i know i can't go wrong with $40 for both and since i'm doubting they'll be on a halloween sale next week, the time is right...

Fredescu

ME2 will almost certainly see a big discount at whatever the next big Steam sale is, but it's an amazing game and $20 is a great price anyway. Up to you.

Recon

Banned
Nobiru said:
GFWL isnt that hard to set up, and after the first time you do it, you dont even know its there.

Yeah,it was quite easy, i just used my old xbox live tag and i was good to go. Was kinda annoying to have to enter the cd key twice..

Aon

K.Jack said:
What the heck is Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes?

The lead / senior programmer of Gothic 3 and the developers from whom Dragon Age, Final Fantasy, and Monkey Island... have been played several times...

I should buy it to troll myself.

Ok, so there's this German demo which actually is an english demo if you change the language option in an ini to English instead of german.
There may also be a gui way to do that, I dunno.

400mb, if you're inclined
http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/2/27/demo/72677/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so how big is the performance hit of physX in batman? Am I being naive to expect to be able to run batman with max settings and physX at 60fps on two gtx 460s?

Recon

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I didn't know it was annoying to have to paste something... twice...

cdkeymagicmozp.jpg

Are you just being an ass to be an ass? U dont have the option to paste it for the second time, its in the GFWL window and you have to enter it manually. Again, dont be an ass.

SmokyDave

Ass.

I'm itching to buy Dogfighter. I keep refreshing the page. I can't even play it until I get home and even then, I've got New Vegas to be getting on with. Steam messes up my purchasing decisions with it's stupid low prices.

ReconYoda said:
I know its not the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but i have a perfectly good steam code for Fallout:New Vegas that i want to get rid of, anyone looking for this game?

I can take that off your hands for whatever price you want mate, send me a PM if it's still available.

Regardless, the whole cdkey/gfwlive Batman thing was annoying. It had also had to restart the game twice before gfw felt like logging in. Pathetic.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ReconYoda said:
Are you just being an ass to be an ass? U dont have the option to paste it for the second time, its in the GFWL window and you have to enter it manually. Again, dont be an ass.
My bad, I didn't realize I was dealing with a 10 year old who never learned ctrl+v.

Sanjay

Corky said:
so how big is the performance hit of physX in batman? Am I being naive to expect to be able to run batman with max settings and physX at 60fps on two gtx 460s?

Well I'm running the game with Max settings at 1080p with 4AA with Maxp physX and got a 72 FPS average in the in-game benchmark. So with two you will have no problems what so ever.

Fallout-NL said:
Regardless, the whole cdkey/gfwlive Batman thing was annoying. It had also had to restart the game twice before gfw felt like logging in. Pathetic.

The horrors you went through, must have been real painful. Welcome to PC gaming.

Stallion Free said:
My bad, I didn't realize I was dealing with a 10 year old who never learned ctrl+v.

To be fair, you are the biggest asshole in this thread, for no apparent reason.

Lighten up a little. It's not that serious.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sanjay said:
Well I'm running the game with Max settings at 1080p with 4AA with Maxp physX and got a 72 FPS average in the in-game benchmark. So with two you will have no problems what so ever.

Awesome, thanks man. Will run a benchmark when the download is done, and see what I end up at and post <3

Sanjay said:
The horrors you went through, must have been real painful. Welcome to PC gaming.

:lol 'welcome to pc gaming'? I've been pc gaming my whole life. The GFW nonsense is new however. It also took a good couple of minutes for it to download my damn profile. So yes, pathetic, who the hell programs that trash?

Fallout-NL said:
:lol 'welcome to pc gaming'? I've been pc gaming my whole life. The GFW nonsense is new however. It also took a good couple of minutes for it to download my damn profile. So yes, pathetic, who the hell programs that trash?
Microsoft.

It's clear where their priorities lie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, all of your new Railworks adopters, what do you think of it? Super curious about what you guys think of it - want to know if you felt the same way I did.

Sanjay

Fallout-NL said:

You have? then why are you acting fickle.

I was just saying PC gaming you come across problems where you just have to overcome them or deal with them. Like one recent example where Fallout New Vegas where Nvidia users of the 4XX series have to play with out HDR or Anti-aliasing to not get random artifacts on screen and is still not fixed to this day, who the hell programs that trash?

Also would like to point out that you can make off-line profiles and never have to deal with GFW live accounts. If you don't like it, don't use it. At least they give you that option unlike Ubisoft's recent endeavours.

SmokyDave

slidewinder said:
It's not even 9AM on the US West coast. It'll be there.
I'm a thoroughly unreasonable man. I want it NOW.
I don't even finish work for another hour, I'm just bored and I want to buy a new game.

Drkirby said:
I guess, but it will be 4 PM before it hits the UK.
But it's ten to five in the UK right now. So where is it, huh? Why are you hiding it from me?

*stumbles out of the thread, wild-eyed and foaming at the mouth*

Sanjay said:
You have? then why are you acting fickle.

I was just saying PC gaming you come across problems where you just have to overcome them or deal with them. Like one recent example where Fallout New Vegas where Nvidia users of the 4XX series have to play with out HDR or Anti-aliasing to not get random artifacts on screen and is still not fixed to this day, who the hell programs that trash?

A valid question, what a goddamn train-wreck that game.

Also would like to point out that you can make off-line profiles and never have to deal with GFW live accounts. If you don't like it, don't use it. At least they give you that option unlike Ubisoft's recent endeavours.

Thanks for the tip.

confused

Banned
SmokyDave said:
It's Monday. Why is Dogfighter still £8.99?

Do I have to write a strongly-worded letter? Should I organise a leaflet campaign?

TBH, I'll probably just sit here and wait a while longer.

You dick, now I have to spend all evening checking Steam for this sale to go live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom