• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
webrunner said:
The patch didn't fix some issues with older ATI cards (such as the journal freezing the game) , just a notice to people. I'm just lucky I have an nVidia laptop.
That sucks. Haven't had any issues with my 5850 though.

Prezhulio

Oh man, if they do 25% or more off of thq complete I'm so in. It's already such a great proposition for the amount you get, the only thing that might break me is discounted metro 2033 before the entire pack

stuminus3

Wow, I just realised I got a game called "World of Zoo" with the THQ pack that I probably just dismissed as shovelware but it's actually made by the guys who did the Zoo Tycoon games. Probably doesn't mean much to you guys but my wife and kids put literally hundreds of hours into those Zoo Tycoon games (especially the sequel)... they'll be thrilled.

Kritz

Banned
It's too bad THQ love their bullshit fucking regional pricing, so even with these 'specials' I feel we're paying way too much. $20us for red faction? No thanks.

It'd be so nice if we could gift Valve Money, so we didn't have to use Paypal as the middle man when getting games gifted.

My videocard could not have picked a worse time to be RMA'd...The 2-4 week turnaround time by HIS Digital is really making me regret purchasing from them.

Proc

I'm all over the original dawn of war series if it goes on sale.

I haven't had a chance to check those games out yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kritz said:
It's too bad THQ love their bullshit fucking regional pricing, so even with these 'specials' I feel we're paying way too much. $20us for red faction? No thanks.

It'd be so nice if we could gift Valve Money, so we didn't have to use Paypal as the middle man when getting games gifted.
That's kind of the idea behind Steam wallet.

Firehead

Apparently there's a new Sega pack coming soon, it'll be including Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe 2, and more.

coopolon

Really hoping Metro 2033 goes on sale. Even at it's THQ store sale price I'd be happy. Been kicking myself for not picking it up then. I'd also consider Stalker CoP.

Anyone else running Red Faction Guerilla @ 1080p and running into problems? The game is displayed in a smaller frame when I run it full screen and the refresh rate seems to be fucked up.

Any ideas?

bestami

I tried to buy dogfighter. While doing the purchase something got messed up. Now i've gotten the "Thanks for the Purchase" mail, the game is on my "licences and subscriptions" list and i can't buy the game because steam thinks i already have it. The thing is i got told to contact support and the game is not on my library list.
Anyone gotten this same kind of thing before ? I know support is pretty slow so if there is something i can do on my end i'd rather do that. I got more then 100 games on steam, first time i encountered something like this. Weird.

Fallout-NL said:
Anyone else running Red Faction Guerilla @ 1080p and running into problems? The game is displayed in a smaller frame when I run it full screen and the refresh rate seems to be fucked up.

Any ideas?

Try running the game with this launch command

-nod3d10

for now at least to see if that fixes it.

(Right click on RFG on Steam, set launch options - paste the above in there, just in case you didnt know :))

Ledsen

coopolon said:
Really hoping Metro 2033 goes on sale. Even at it's THQ store sale price I'd be happy. Been kicking myself for not picking it up then. I'd also consider Stalker CoP.

Metro 2033 is amazing, one of the best FPSs I've ever played. Definitely buy it.

Rufus

legend166 said:
For people who haven't played RFG before - put it easy as soon as you start the game. Makes it a million times more enjoyable.
Yes. I started on normal, which soon got in the way of wanton destruction. Unacceptable.

Another tip if you want to cause some serious mayhem:
- buy the Arc Welder the moment you can
- pester the EDF until they send a tank
- kill its operators using the Arc Welder and hop in
- hahaha... ahaha... PWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Ogs said:

-nod3d10

(Right click on RFG on Steam, set launch options - paste the above in there, just in case you didnt know :))

Cheers, I'll try that.

Fredescu

webrunner said:
The patch didn't fix some issues with older ATI cards (such as the journal freezing the game) , just a notice to people. I'm just lucky I have an nVidia laptop.
How old? It ran fine on my 4890. With ambient occlusion turned off anyway.

SapientWolf said:
That's kind of the idea behind Steam wallet.
You can give other Steam users money directly from Steam wallet? I didn't realise.

1-D_FTW

legend166 said:
For people who haven't played RFG before - put it easy as soon as you start the game. Makes it a million times more enjoyable.

I've been playing it off and on lately and I'm about 7 hours in. It's definitely frustrating on higher difficulties. It seems like I complete the objective, but die before hitting the conclusion point, and lose all the metal I'd picked up on it (or maybe I'm just paranoid). That and having my perfect 99 RF meter steadily drop with each failed mission. Actually, they're not even really failed. The missions are completed, but because I die, I don't get to keep any of the metal.

Doesn't help you can't cheat the system if you use auto-save.

Think I'll try and tuff it out though.

kamspy

Firehead said:
Apparently there's a new Sega pack coming soon, it'll be including Virtua MOTEHR FUCKING Fighter 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe 2, and more.

il43x.jpg

Shaneus said:
That'll be Virtua Fighter 2 for the Megadrive/Genesis, though. Don't be expecting an arcade/Saturn port.

P8lQc.jpg

Stallion Free said:
Try the demo.

I dont see a demo anymore, an hour ago before I started some Civ5 it was an option, now I dont see a demo option anywhere!

I will probably just buy the 4pack anyway though, Plain Sight worked out, this should too!

Edit: nevermind! the steam forums for DogFight had a sneaky work around.

graywolf323

Firehead said:
Apparently there's a new Sega pack coming soon, it'll be including Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe 2, and more.

I wonder if it comes out before Football Manager 2011 will those of us who preordered FM2k11 get it for free?

chixdiggit said:
What is wrong with it?

only thing I've heard wrong with the Darksiders port is it has very limited graphics options

Rufus

Fredescu said:
You can give other Steam users money directly from Steam wallet? I didn't realise.
I can't find any mention of that and the TOS seem to exclude that possibility as well.

C. Steam Wallet.

ALL STEAM FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART. Steam may make available an account balance associated with your Account (the “Steam Wallet”). You may place funds in your Steam Wallet up to a maximum amount determined by Valve, by credit card, prepaid card, promotional code, or any other payment method accepted by Steam. You may use Steam Wallet funds to purchase Subscriptions or make transactions within Subscriptions, where Steam Wallet transactions are enabled. Funds added to the Steam Wallet are non-refundable and non-transferable. Steam Wallet funds have no value outside Steam and can only be used to purchase Subscriptions and related content via Steam (including but not limited to games offered on the Steam Store). To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Steam Wallet funds that are deemed abandoned or unused by law will not be returned or restored.[...]

Haven't checked the forums yet, so I might be wrong.
edit: People have asked in numerous thread and the answer seems to be 'no', not as of yet, anyway.

nexen

legend166 said:
Agree 100%
I hated the game until I set it to easy. After that I found myself enjoying it quite a bit.

1-D_FTW

Alright, I dropped it to easy. Screw it. I stopped playing because it was a total grind. That plus wasting all my metal trying to upgrade the absolutely worthless rocket launcher made me lose all interest. Can see myself finishing it now.

Joe Molotov

Unfortunately (or maybe thankfully) I already have pretty much every THQ game on Steam. Although I then turned around and bought Global Agenda, so it's not like my money's ever safe from Valve. :(

Fredescu said:
The demo costs $1.50 and it comes with the full game for free.

You know I chuckled at this, and then went to the Steam Page, and sure enough The Dogfighter Demo is included in purchase of the full game.

Fredescu

I actually meant it as a joke, but then I noticed it on the store page too. I assume it means something different, I dunno. It looks like there is actually a free demo, but for $1.50, if you're interested enough to download the demo... you could probably move a few couches and find the change before it finishes downloading.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't get it. The GB Quick Look (yeah, I know, GB and PC games...) for Dogfighter didn't look all that fun. I mean, its cheap, but I didn't like Altitude at 1.49 either.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ogs said:

-nod3d10

(Right click on RFG on Steam, set launch options - paste the above in there, just in case you didn't know :))

ya that fixes resolution/refresh problems but makes textures but ugly and low.
I suspect he's got the same problem as me running game thru an older HDTV.
dx10 doesn't like 1080i tv's nor native 30hz refresh rates and forces drop to 720p and 60hz but still flickers
I found way to fix this (and games like amnesia) is to run them in windows mode.
Well until boxing day sales lets me buy a new 60' plasma 1080p 2d tv.

itxaka

Defeatist
Dina said:
Oh yes, how is it? Is it everything that it could be?

Not bad, put 4 hours in. You don't level up which is shitty as you don't get the awesome feeling of processing that other games have. You only get new armor and weapons.

Zones are quite different, but they feel a bit empty. Is pretty linear and pretty easy.

Seems to be just a few worlds with around 30 missions per world. I almost beat the first 2 ones quests in 4 hours.

Achievements for everything. New zone -> achievement. Killed 40 enemies -> achievement.

Good graphics, missing some antialising for the rough edges.

History is pretty straight with no actual timeline gluing the different quests, and no more than 4 lines regarding the mission you are doing.

Controls are ok, wow style.

Building is ok. I only played around on my own space, which people can visit and ¿vote? and there is a ranking with the best builds around. Only played with models, not with pieces. Already have a castle built from model pieces! :D

There is some minigames. Running, Car racing, horde mode. They are ok, not special on any way.

Enemied drop everything on the Lego X style of games. Money is useless, nothing is expensive enough that you can't afford it but I guess that as they main thing is bulding you are supposed to be able to buy hundreds of blocks (I got around 3k I think)

It's kind of an MMO mixed with a child game. They seem to try and make it easier like they were focusing on children with the menus, mission layout and style but then they have this horrible missions which seem to be for high gear, and the only way of getting it is grinding enemies which drop badges which you use to get the gear. No idea which public they are shooting with the game.

Shaneus

kamspy: There's a possibility that it's 3D, but given that Sega have been releasing shit-tons of Genesis ports to PC (and every other gaming device known to man) recently, I'd be doubtful.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Stallion Free said:
I'm pretty sure textures are exactly the same in both DX9 and 10...
i tried both and even did the very high detail hit a button then it says custom and the textures on vehicles are dramatically lower and ground textures....not sure why can't check ini since cfg file isn't plain text

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bloodydrake said:
i tried both and even did the very high detail hit a button then it says custom and the textures on vehicles are dramatically lower and ground textures....not sure why can't check ini since cfg file isn't plain text
That would be a glitch then. Not everyone experiences that.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Pretty much 100% chance that Metro 2033 is going to be one of the deals right? I've been waiting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom