• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

DMPrince said:
wait. if you got vanilla. doesn't it update to GOTY?

I checked the store page of Batman: AA and it goes to GOTY.

They replaced the vanilla version with the GOTY version on Steam, however if you bought the vanilla version beforehand, you're still stuck with that version. Unlike Plants vs. Zombies and Railworks, prior owners are NOT automatically upgraded.

But, as someone else mentioned above, it's not really that big of a deal, you just miss out on two DLC challenge packs that you can buy separately anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MoFuzz said:
Now show me what you are capable of you cookie cutter mother fucker, you're just like the rest of these dudes safe moist as dudes.

Well I failed my first campaign mode match for running a red light! Hurr! But I've finished a few free play missions. 82 minutes played according to Steam. I also spent about an hour reading the full manual. I don't think I'll be switching to manual Fireman/Water Management for a long time, that seems a bit too extreme for me.

I love the blasé, bored looking passenger models. Do they get excited if you go dangerously fast?

What's the difference between the horn and the bell? When should I consider using the horn at all? It's totally fun but the manual says you get a penalty if you use the horn at night.

Any DLC recommendations? I downloaded all the free stuff. I'll probably get some of the Canadian National stuff just to exhibit some Canadian pride.

What are some of the best free ride scenarios? My heart fluttered a little bit when I saw the 120 minute campaign scenario where you have to slowly haul coal up a very slight incline! Awesome!

The only thing I don't get so far is that the game doesn't seem to look, well, anything like the screenshots. I've got it on 1680x1050, max everything, 16xAA, but the game is super jaggy and looks much lower res. Is this one of these cases where the video settings from the launcher don't get properly applied?

Joe Molotov

Stumpokapow said:
What's the difference between the horn and the bell? When should I consider using the horn at all? It's totally fun but the manual says you get a penalty if you use the horn at night.

If you sound your horn 500 times, you get an achievement!

Grug

Stumpokapow said:
The only thing I don't get so far is that the game doesn't seem to look, well, anything like the screenshots. I've got it on 1680x1050, max everything, 16xAA, but the game is super jaggy and looks much lower res.

This.

Can't help but feel a little ripped off.

Kraut

Bought Batman AA even though I just beat it over the summer. 60fps almost makes it worth it alone. Shitty about the SecureROM though.

Got Disciples II Gold on midweek madness. Gave it a try tonight...and a band of fucking thugs jumped at my hero and killed him, a few steps outside the castle.

Is this game always this hard? I'm a newcomer to the series.

SteelAttack said:
Got Disciples II Gold on midweek madness. Gave it a try tonight...and a band of fucking thugs jumped at my hero and killed him, a few steps outside the castle.

Is this game always this hard? I'm a newcomer to the series.
No. You can change the difficulty. I haven't played in a while but that situation sounds unusual.

Schmattakopf said:
No. You can change the difficulty. I haven't played in a while but that situation sounds unusual.
Thanks. I got a bit discouraged after getting killed so soon. :lol
I'll start over again later on the lowest difficulty setting until I feel comfortable enough with the game.

GameGamer said:
I want to buy it.

But Steam and Securerom and games for windows account required.

Too much trouble.

I feel the same. If I buy the game, it will be on PS3, even if it would mean a slightly higher price.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Stumpokapow said:
Well, if you have to know, the horn is for warning crossing wildlife and for announcing passage of an open crossing.
The bell is for warning pedestrians in general, and was historically used for announcing departure as well.

SmokyDave

I'm not exactly over the moon with the way that Steam handled Fallout: NV pre-loading. I've never pre-loaded before so maybe it's always this way. In essence, once the game unlocked I tried to run it only to find it needed defragging. Fair enough. Got that done and then Steam decides it needs to download a further 2 gigs before I can fire up the game. I really wanted to test it before I left for work this morning but that put the kaibosh on things :(

Ah well, still quicker than heading to a shop I guess.

Stumpokapow said:
I cannot stop driving full speed while holding down the horn button with it blaring shouting, "I'M DRIVING A TRAIN M'FCKERS!!!!!!!"

The only thing I don't get so far is that the game doesn't seem to look, well, anything like the screenshots. I've got it on 1680x1050, max everything, 16xAA, but the game is super jaggy and looks much lower res. Is this one of these cases where the video settings from the launcher don't get properly applied?
There are settings inside the game you need to set I believe besides the one in the launcher. Like the textures and stuff are set on medium until you go in and fix them I think. I am going to check just to make sure what just said is correct.

SmokyDave said:
I'm not exactly over the moon with the way that Steam handled Fallout: NV pre-loading. I've never pre-loaded before so maybe it's always this way. In essence, once the game unlocked I tried to run it only to find it needed defragging. Fair enough. Got that done and then Steam decides it needs to download a further 2 gigs before I can fire up the game. I really wanted to test it before I left for work this morning but that put the kaibosh on things :(

Ah well, still quicker than heading to a shop I guess.

Looks like there were game updates already:

Oct 21, 2010 - Preferences, quicksaves, and autosaves should behave normally. Cloud support currently disabled.
Oct 20, 2010 - Contents of Update: This update fixes quest and scripting issues

SmokyDave

Eaten By A Grue said:
I cannot stop driving full speed while holding down the horn button with it blaring shouting, "I'M DRIVING A TRAIN M'FCKERS!!!!!!!"
Yes!

I see we have a similar playstyle. I wish this game had online co-op.

Edit: And yes, there are graphical options within the game itself, not just in the launcher. Looks pretty good maxed out @ 1200p on my screen but having said that, it's the only game I can max out at 1200p so I've nothing to compare it to. I'm dabbling with the idea of a triple screen setup.

Looks like there were game updates already:

Oct 21, 2010 - Preferences, quicksaves, and autosaves should behave normally. Cloud support currently disabled.
Oct 20, 2010 - Contents of Update: This update fixes quest and scripting issues
Aaah, I shouldn't moan then. That's important shit and it's good that it's being fixed so quickly. Steam wins again!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wmat said:
Well, if you have to know, the horn is for warning crossing wildlife and for announcing passage of an open crossing.
The bell is for warning pedestrians in general, and was historically used for announcing departure as well.

If that was a dumb question, realize that I live on an island and that island has no trains. I am very new at this!

Firebrand

Might not be news, but I see they reduced the price of Broken Sword: Director's Cut from €9,99 to €4,99. I guess it's time I played this.

Suairyu

Banned
Railworks exposes the social divide between those who live with trains and those who do not. Europe, represent!

Railworks 2 trailers look incredible. Unfortunately £15 is a little too expensive for purchase for now, despite that being 50% RRP. Does the company typically have good Xmas deals?

stuminus3

Firebrand said:
Might not be news, but I see they reduced the price of Broken Sword: Director's Cut from €9,99 to €4,99. I guess it's time I played this.
Damnit, I paid 10x that amount (!) for the Wii version when it was released because Ubisoft were being boneheads about releasing the PC version. Ah well, live and learn.

GameGamer

Sanjay said:
Don't be a fool and miss out on one of the best games of last year.

The game is a classic.

I have played it a few times on the Xbox.

But I would really like to play it in high resolution on PC.

But I won't install a 2nd layer of DRM with Securerom and a 3rd for Games for Windows.

xKilltheMx said:
Oh my god. batman is SO bought. Mmmmm sweet batman goodness. I love you Steam. Finally I get to play this game...now lets hope my Laptop can run this! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

And yes I bought it without knowing if my laptop could run it well or not.

Like all UE3 games, it'll run on some pretty damn shitty machines. So long as your laptop has a dedicated GPU you'll be fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
Schmattakopf said:

Disciples 2 will give you nightmares about Spiders. Those things are ridiculously hard at times when they come after you early on.

The difficulty can be brutal at times. It helps to run through the campaigns in order a little I think, because the Empire one gives you healers, which you need to abuse. Keep an enemy alive if it does less damage than your healers can heal, and heal to full before finishing every fight. Mage heroes are the best once you get their level higher, the 2x spells and mass attack ability combined with an instant death item is incredible.

Great, great game, but can be a bit rough to get in to the genre. If you enjoy Disciples 2, you'll probably enjoy Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3, and 5. And probably Disciples 3, I haven't played that much yet, hoping I notice if it ever goes on sale so I can buy it.

Edit: Typos

Minsc

Gold Member
Batman:AA is wonderful. Make sure to do the the first challenge that unlocks, where you need to string combos together to get As/perfects. You'll get a perfect understanding of the game when you have to string a 20-hit combo together without missing or being hit once to pass that challenge.

brain_stew said:
Like all UE3 games, it'll run on some pretty damn shitty machines. So long as your laptop has a dedicated GPU you'll be fine.

Nvidia 8400 GS is the video card, is that dedicated GPU?
Is that even the GPU? lol

MomoPufflet said:
What?! Even in Steam version? Regret buying it even at that price if so :/

Some fourms have said that Securom was taken out of the GOTY Steam version.

Firebrand said:

This is definitely news to me, thanks. I was waiting for a sale but this is just as good.

Struct09

If I already have Batman on Steam, do I essentially already have the GOTY edition? I've looked to see what the differences are, and am not sure if all those extras were free DLC or not.

Amazing game, can't wait for the sequel.

I'm seriously tempted to double-dip on Batman even though I already finished it on 360. I really enjoyed the game. Doubling up on the achievements might be the excuse I need to do it.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm seriously tempted to double-dip on Batman even though I already finished it on 360. I really enjoyed the game. Doubling up on the achievements might be the excuse I need to do it.
Arkham Asylum at 60fps (if you can run it that smooth) high res and with lashings of anti-analysing is worth owning the game a 2nd time for, game looks amazing on a good pc and still does today.

Last time I played it i was using a 1440x900 screen in 8xmsaa, now I have a 1080p 23" screen I should resume that hard run I started last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom