• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

I am not Max
RF2 "Notice: Direct X 10.1 ATI video cards or Direct X 10.0 Nvidia video cards are not supported."

Lame.

Volcynika

The Big Rig said:
Anyone changed the date on one of Steam's banners to find out tomorrow's sale yet?

Not possible. The links aren't named uniquely and aside from the top right one (ending in _red), there's no unique naming to easily alter. They got wise to it a while back!

I blame everyone but myself.

bloodydrake said:
ya that fixes resolution/refresh problems but makes textures but ugly and low.
I suspect he's got the same problem as me running game thru an older HDTV.
dx10 doesn't like 1080i tv's nor native 30hz refresh rates and forces drop to 720p and 60hz but still flickers
I found way to fix this (and games like amnesia) is to run them in windows mode.
Well until boxing day sales lets me buy a new 60' plasma 1080p 2d tv.

Enable GPU scaling, should fix it.

Volcynika said:
Not possible. The links aren't named uniquely and aside from the top right one (ending in _red), there's no unique naming to easily alter. They got wise to it a while back!

I thought of it as a little easter egg for those who wanted to really invest in finding out. It made EA week much better imo.

This is the first year I've been using Steam and I already wasted money on sales :lol . I heard that during the holiday that there is a massive sale. Any idea on what to expect?

Joe Molotov

Volcynika said:

I even tried changing "red" to other likely terms like "war", "coh", "titan" and got nothing.

Volcynika

Joe Molotov said:
I even tried changing "red" to other likely terms like "war", "coh", "titan" and got nothing.

It's probably going to be stuff like coh/dow/etc., but the images won't be on their server until shortly before the new sale I bet.

zlatko

Banned
GurgleBot20 said:
This is the first year I've been using Steam and I already wasted money on sales :lol . I heard that during the holiday that there is a massive sale. Any idea on what to expect?

I just got a new gaming rig myself after many years, so I hope when the sale hits they drop the orange box down to 10 bucks or less.

Joe Molotov

GurgleBot20 said:

The formula for holiday sales is generally 10-25% on like 100 games, 33-50% on about a dozen games, and 75-90% off on maybe 3 or 4 games. Also 25-50% off on most of the company packs. Then every day for a week they have 5 games that are usually 50-75% for that day only. I've never escaped a Steam holiday sale for less than $100.

John

GurgleBot20 said:
Nothing can prepare you.

Firehead

GurgleBot20 said:
Expect most all of your money to magically vanish when you buy a bunch of games for $1-15 a piece. And don't expect to escape it easily; once it has you, you're hooked.
Ended up spending $400~ last holiday. :|

John said:
Nothing can prepare you.
Pretty much.

Mr_Zombie

GurgleBot20 said:
You can't expect anything, you will just buy stuff.
Even if you're just mildly interested in a game, once it hits -66% sale or will cost 5$ on Steam, you will buy it. You won't need it, you probably won't play it anytime soon, but you will buy it nonetheless. And then, after the sale is over, you will realize that you've just bought a bunch of games that cost only 5-10$ and your wallet is completely empty :(

Salsa

Bebpo said:
Deathspank PC seems like a good port. Only thing it's missing is AA options. Anyone know if forcing AA will work?

holy shit i forgot about this

too bad im not in a hurry to finish New Vegas, but man im gonna be all over that.

IrishNinja

fucccckkkk i missed batman AA, i can only blame myself (or god). balls.

zlatko said:
I just got a new gaming rig myself after many years, so I hope when the sale hits they drop the orange box down to 10 bucks or less.

god, yes. will double dip.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bebpo said:
Deathspank PC seems like a good port. Only thing it's missing is AA options. Anyone know if forcing AA will work?
MLAA might work if MSAA doesn't. I also wanted to see how MLAA looks with Darksiders.

Is anyone else having this issue with Batman: AA?

Every once in a while the game will freeze as if the display driver is going to crash and after 10s or so it goes back to playing as normal. This is with a 5850 with a mild overclock. I've tested it rigorously and I've been running with this same overclock for about 2 months now without a hitch. Hopefully my card isn't defective, I haven't had it for that long and RMA could take freaking ages.

toasty_T said:
Is anyone else having this issue with Batman: AA?

Every once in a while the game will freeze as if the display driver is going to crash and after 10s or so it goes back to playing as normal. This is with a 5850 with a mild overclock. I've tested it rigorously and I've been running with this same overclock for about 2 months now without a hitch. Hopefully my card isn't defective, I haven't had it for that long and RMA could take freaking ages.

It's probably just one of
Scarecrow's
tricks :D

Tokubetsu

GurgleBot20 said:

They basically made the whole wallet thing for steam sales. I hope your bank account is ready.

IrishNinja said:
fucccckkkk i missed batman AA, i can only blame myself (or god). balls.

god, yes. will double dip.

Don't worry, it'll probably be up again and for cheaper during the Christmas Sale.

Trick is just have an idea of what you want going into these sales and plan for a lot of bullshit cheap games inbetween. Right now im waiting for a nice price on Dawn of Discovery, Batman AA, Chaos Rising and Vampire The Masquerade. I missed the sales for those/had no money at the time.

confused

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
The formula for holiday sales is generally 10-25% on like 100 games, 33-50% on about a dozen games, and 75-90% off on maybe 3 or 4 games. Also 25-50% off on most of the company packs. Then every day for a week they have 5 games that are usually 50-75% for that day only. I've never escaped a Steam holiday sale for less than $100.

And be smart, only buy daily deals up to the last day of the sale and then swoop up all the normal sales. Plenty of GAFfers spent money on normal sale items last year only for the games to become a daily sale with even bigger savings.

IrishNinja

Tokubetsu said:
Don't worry, it'll probably be up again and for cheaper during the Christmas Sale.

Trick is just have an idea of what you want going into these sales and plan for a lot of bullshit cheap games inbetween. Right now im waiting for a nice price on Dawn of Discovery, Batman AA, Chaos Rising and Vampire The Masquerade. I missed the sales for those/had no money at the time.

hey, sup toku. yeah, you're right...i got enough in my backlog to wait. im with you on batman & vampire (dreamfall as well), mebbe ill get lucky with some old ones like deus ex and fallout 2. right now, just hoping penumbra & amnesia go down for the halloween sale.

Fredescu

confused said:
Plenty of GAFfers spent money on normal sale items last year only for the games to become a daily sale with even bigger savings.
Plenty of GAFfers waited and missed out on the best price for the Witcher when the price went up. Sometimes items get pulled from sale when they run out of keys to.

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
hey, sup toku. yeah, you're right...i got enough in my backlog to wait. im with you on batman & vampire (dreamfall as well), mebbe ill get lucky with some old ones like deus ex and fallout 2. right now, just hoping penumbra & amnesia go down for the halloween sale.

Keep a look out for Vampire this weekend as well. I think they had it on sale last Halloween but I completely missed it.

Lumine

Anyone happen to have any insight to the THQ deals that will be up this week? I'm contemplating resubscribing to WoW today, but if it turns that the Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising expansion gets a great deal for a low price today I might go for that instead.

I guess I'm just going to have to be patient. :(

OneMoreQuestion said:
It's probably just one of
Scarecrow's
tricks :D

I noticed it well before I met
Scarecrow
, but I played for a bit more now and it hasn't happened again.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a controller for this game (it's pretty fantastic so far) but I'm still struggling to justify it as I only have a few games that would actually benefit from one. Does Dead Space have native 360 pad support? I've been thinking about buying that for a while now.

confused

Banned
toasty_T said:
I noticed it well before I met
Scarecrow
, but I played for a bit more now and it hasn't happened again.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a controller for this game (it's pretty fantastic so far) but I'm still struggling to justify it as I only have a few games that would actually benefit from one. Does Dead Space have native 360 pad support? I've been thinking about buying that for a while now.

Yes, it does.

GurgleBot20 said:
This will happen after you check your monthly bank statement:

t0hqa9.gif

No joke that's what happens in steam sales.

confused said:
And be smart, only buy daily deals up to the last day of the sale and then swoop up all the normal sales. Plenty of GAFfers spent money on normal sale items last year only for the games to become a daily sale with even bigger savings.
This x 1000. I bought several games on sale early only to see them discounted even more later in the week as a daily deal.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Fredescu said:
Plenty of GAFfers waited and missed out on the best price for the Witcher when the price went up. Sometimes items get pulled from sale when they run out of keys to.
Plus the Defense Grid DLC was 50% off for a day.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Anyone else excited for The Ball? I preordered it, and if I wasn't a Rock Band fiend I'd be playing the hell out of it tonight. Shit, I still probably will! I don't want to risk noise complaints on my Rock Band playing so I have to stop after 9 since I really only play drums. So...

THE BALL!

<3 Tripwire.

edit: Everyone who hasn't bought Amnesia for full price yet is a bad person. If you buy it at $10 you're still a bad person, but at least you'll have the best horror game ever to ease your troubled soul.

confused said:

Yeah... that sucked.

BioHazard

BobsRevenge said:
Anyone else excited for The Ball? I preordered it, and if I wasn't a Rock Band fiend I'd be playing the hell out of it tonight. Shit, I still probably will! I don't want to risk noise complaints on my Rock Band playing so I have to stop after 9 since I really only play drums. So...

THE BALL!

<3 Tripwire.

edit: Everyone who hasn't bought Amnesia for full price yet is a bad person. If you buy it at $10 you're still a bad person, but at least you'll have the best horror game ever to ease your troubled soul.

D:

But at least I have The Ball too! And a new KF character!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
graywolf323 said:
I dunno it looks interesting but IGN's review pretty much confirmed my wait for it to be cheaper view (even as awesome as the character looks in Killing Floor)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1130367p1.html
I honestly don't trust IGN to review games like this in a way that would be applicable to my tastes. Maybe it is, but I already bought it so its not like it matters anyways, and I don't want to spoil anything. :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about Red Faction: Guerilla sales is that the MP will have a player spike. I loved MP on 360 but it didn't take very long for the crowd to thin out.

poweld

biocat said:
Both Impulse and Gamersgate have Amnesia on sale for Halloween. Hopefully it pops up this weekend for Steam.
Seconded. Been looking for an excuse to pick this one up, and Halloween time would provide the perfect atmosphere.

graywolf323

biocat said:
Both Impulse and Gamersgate have Amnesia on sale for Halloween. Hopefully it pops up this weekend for Steam.

I'd much rather have Vampire The Masquerade

BobsRevenge said:
I honestly don't trust IGN to review games like this in a way that would be applicable to my tastes. Maybe it is, but I already bought it so its not like it matters anyways, and I don't want to spoil anything. :lol

the problem for me is it's not developed by Tripwire just published by them

Bethesda's a great dev but they've published some shitty games (Star Trek Legacy, Wet, and Rogue Warrior come to mind)

Sysgen

graywolf323 said:
I'd much rather have Vampire The Masquerade

the problem for me is it's not developed by Tripwire just published by them

Bethesda's a great dev but they've published some shitty games (Star Trek Legacy, Wet, and Rogue Warrior come to mind)

That's quite a stretch. There's a couple very good reviews out to allay any anxiety. Pre-ordered it myself which I usually don't do.

graywolf323

Sysgen said:
That's quite a stretch. There's a couple very good reviews out to allay any anxiety. Pre-ordered it myself which I usually don't do.

I've only seen reviews from some small no name sites I've never heard of before The Ball Steam group linked to them and then IGN's rather mixed reaction where they say the puzzles are great but the combat is meh (plus it's only about 5 hours long excluding some challenge mode)

it just doesn't sound worth $18 to me even for the awesome character in Killing Floor

edit: especially when I only have about $20 to my name right now until next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom