• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fredescu said:
It's been on sale a million times and that list is ranked by revenue. I think the correct answer that there aren't all that many of those big ticket games being sold in the day to day.

Yes, they've successfully trained us to wait on the sales and turn our noses up at full-priced games until they get cheap.

Baha

Might as well ask now since I suspect it'll go on sale sometime this week, how's Saints Row 2 on PC? I've heard it's broken but can it be fixed? Just to be clear I don't have any insider info on the deals, I'm assuming it'll go on sale since it has in the past.

John

The_Inquisitor said:
I forgot to buy it today with my late classes!
That reminds me actually, I didn't end up getting a fourth man to go with us on the Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter 4-pack a few weeks ago when it was on sale, so I've still got a copy of it on Steam. whoever wants it, it's $3.75 :)

Baha said:
Might as well ask now since I suspect it'll go on sale sometime this week, how's Saints Row 2 on PC? I've heard it's broken but can it be fixed? Just to be clear I don't have any insider info on the deals, I'm assuming it'll go on sale since it has in the past.

Hideously broken. It is literally impossible to play. You are lucky to get a framerate in the high single digits, the controls suck balls, and it is in general a physical pain to try to use.

It is not worth 5 dollars, it is not worth 2 dollars, it is not worth zero dollars. Stay away!

stuminus3

Baha said:
It's not exactly the greatest looking and playing game, but to be fair, neither were the console versions. It's still fun as all hell though.

It doesn't work properly on Windows 7 (which is kind of excusable, since it was made before W7), runs too fast like Red Faction Guerilla used to. The problem is that RFG was officially fixed with a patch, SR2 never will be. There's a fix for it over on the Steam forum for the game, though.

John said:
That reminds me actually, I didn't end up getting a fourth man to go with us on the Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter 4-pack a few weeks ago when it was on sale, so I've still got a copy of it on Steam. whoever wants it, it's $3.75 :)
And that reminds me, I still have an extra Plain Sight. If anyone wants it, PM me. (I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't very much; whatever you want to pay.)

Joe Molotov

Baha said:

It runs like warmed over ass on my computer (C2D 6600, Nvidia 8800GTS). I was getting like 3 fps out in the open. Maybe if you had some behemoth machine, you could get 30 fps.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Joe Molotov said:
It runs like warmed over ass on my computer (C2D 6600, Nvidia 8800GTS). I was getting like 3 fps out in the open. Maybe if you had some behemoth machine, you could get 30 fps.
:lol yup pretty much. i can run crysis on ultra everything at 50 and i got like 20-25 on sr2, with some really bad dips. i think there may be some fanmade patch or something that improves things but i was honestly so unimpressed by my limited exposure that i didn't even bother putting in the work to fix it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do you like Baseball games!
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Oh boy do I, I'll buy just about anything I have vaguely heard something good about at $2 or $3.
Then can I interest you in 3 Baseball game for only $2.99
Well...
You ether buy the Baseball games, or get two 20 ounce bottles of Soda at School...
Well...
Come on, its less then $3! You spend almost that much on Virtual Keys in Team Fortress 2!
Your right, I'll buy the baseball games! I may even play them!
Thats the spirit!

Piano

Banned
Drkirby said:
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Oh boy do I, I'll buy just about anything I have vaguely heard something good about at $2 or $3.
Well...
You ether buy the Baseball games, or get two 20 ounce bottles of Soda at School...
Well...
Come on, its less then $3! You spend almost that much on Virtual Keys in Team Fortress 2!
Thats the spirit!
I'm actually going to save the $1 and just get 2K10. It makes 2k9 redundant and I have no interest in a baseball management sim (don't care about the MLB teams or players, don't even know how drafting/whatever works)

Narag

Drkirby said:
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Well...
Well...
Thats the spirit!
:lol

Drkirby said:
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Well...
Well...
Thats the spirit!

Yeah, I bought them. I think the only reason was to add to my Steam game list e-peins. Cleared 400 games now. :D

Can I get any of famous MLB 2K9 glitches on the PC version? Like the floating bat? Or the sinking player? Or the great 40 foot jump up the Big Green Monster for an amazing catch?

Fixed1979

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I bought them. I think the only reason was to add to my Steam game list e-peins. Cleared 400 games now. :D

Your epeen is impressive. I thought my collection was doing alright but I haven't even hit 100, come on Christmas!

Baha said:

I got it for 7 bucks and it was well worth it. Played it for about 35 hours. Have a GTX 260 and Windows 7. It doesn't run well at all, but it's certainly not literally impossible to play as someone else claimed, and my framerates never got below the low 20s. If they put it on sale for 5 bucks or something like that, then it's definitely worth it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I dunno I don't think that's far off. And you need a solid rig to run it at 20+. I can't play anything at 20 anymore. Maybe back in the Dreamcast days.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder what todays offer will be? I'm hoping to pick up something really great and cheap this week.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just bought Titan Quest because it was dirt cheap, the few reviews I skimmed seemed positive, and I really like the mythological setting. Did I make a good choice?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Technomancer said:
Just bought Titan Quest because it was dirt cheap, the few reviews I skimmed seemed positive, and I really like the mythological setting. Did I make a good choice?
Yes. It's damn fun in co-op. The Dream class tree is fucking ill.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The_Technomancer said:

It's Diablo with Medusa. Pretty neat game, and priced about right.

Drkirby said:
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Well...
Well...
Thats the spirit!
This is almost verbatim of what actually happened. What makes it worse is that the laptop I'm using right now is likely incapable of running any of these three games, not that this exact same scenario hasn't happened multiple times since I downloaded steam.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
Well, no, not really.
But do you like sales!
Well...
Well...
Thats the spirit!
Yeah...that sounds about right...

traveler

Not Wario
Stallion Free said:
Yes. It's damn fun in co-op. The Dream class tree is fucking ill.

Yeah... if you want a somewhat balanced experience, I would avoid the Dream tree. :lol

It's substantially better than the rest, to say the least.

19Kilo

TheEastonator said:
I'm actually going to save the $1 and just get 2K10. It makes 2k9 redundant and I have no interest in a baseball management sim (don't care about the MLB teams or players, don't even know how drafting/whatever works)

My exact thoughts/action as well. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
traveler said:
Yeah... if you want a somewhat balanced experience, I would avoid the Dream tree. :lol

It's substantially better than the rest, to say the least.
But it looks so pretty!!! That was my excuse. When I started the game up the other year I did a bit of research and as soon as I read Dream = OP like a mofo, I was all over it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought the baseball pack. I haven't even played a baseball game since RBI Baseball for the NES. I'm guessing they've changed up the formula a bit since then.

WanderingWind said:
I bought the baseball pack. I haven't even played a baseball game since RBI Baseball for the NES. I'm guessing they've changed up the formula a bit since then.

yea just a little bit lol. i had to grab this too even though im horrible at baseball sims

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
snack said:
Damn. Sweet price.

Anyone who played the game who could elaborate a bit why someone should buy it?

Edit:
And whether it only runs on high end machines.

stuminus3

Toma said:
It's pros are that it looks fantastic and has a ton of atmosphere, but it's otherwise your usual Eastern European shooter/horror game. Pretty good game overall.

Don't expect S.T.A.L.K.E.R because it's nothing like it. It's more like Half Life.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Toma said:

Edit:
Runs fairly well on my 2Ghz C2D GT230M on lower settings - still looks nice. It has a different feel to nearly all other FPS's out there (Stalker being the exception), a feeling of desolation and loneliness. Its projects a pretty bleak and depressing view of an impoverished and dangerous world - one that most western studios would avoid like the plague.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vigilance said:
Metro 2033 for $13.60 sounds pretty good.
It's even better in the UK at £6.12.

At that price I didn't even stop to think. I literally said "Fuck yes" and bought the thing as if it was going to be sold out in 10 minutes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just bought Metro 2033 at £6.12. Awesome price and it works very well using nVidia 3D vision :)

cyberheater

Toma said:

Edit:

You really need a decent machine to run it on. What spec have you got?

Cheech

Stop It said:
It's even better in the UK at £6.12.

At that price I didn't even stop to think. I literally said "Fuck yes" and bought the thing as if it was going to be sold out in 10 minutes.

Yeah, I bought it without even a moment's hesitation. I spent more time thinking about what kind of soda to drink with lunch. :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hmm so would it be best, for those of us in the US to have UKers gift us Metro 2033?

Someone do the conversion math for me.

Let's get this going. Anyone willing to do this?

edit: And is a 2.4Ghz quad + 9800 GT enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom