• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmmm, no Metro for me I think. I still have plenty of FPS' on Steam thanks to the Quakecon sales, and I've not played through any of them yet. I also bought the Stalker games when they were on sale, so I have those as well.

Damn, I can't believe I missed out on the basketball sale, I would have bought those in a second. I picked up MLB 2K10 though, no brainer at that price. Hopefully NBA 2K11 will be one of the winter sales deals.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Does Metro actually look good for all the hardware requirements it has? Just got a new comp recently and would like something new to try it out.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
K.Jack said:
Hmm so would it be best, for those of us in the US to have UKers gift us Metro 2033?

Someone do the conversion math for me.

Let's get this going. Anyone willing to do this?

edit: And is a 2.4Ghz quad + 9800 GT enough?
The UK price would equate to $9.63. That is of course at market rates and doesn't take into account Paypal fees or whatever, but the price is most certainly cheaper here than the US (Which is quite the shock).

VGChampion said:
Basically double the UK price and you get the US price. Wouldn't be worth the extra work. I may buy it but I've got an 07 iMac.
This isn't 2007 any more. The £1 is worth $1.57 at this time.

graywolf323

K.Jack said:
Hmm so would it be best, for those of us in the US to have UKers gift us Metro 2033?

Someone do the conversion math for me.

Let's get this going. Anyone willing to do this?

edit: And is a 2.4Ghz quad + 9800 GT enough?

it comes to $9.63 so not even $3 cheaper

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Glad to see that the cereal meme still lives on.

Metro 2033 will rape the shit out of your PC if you try maxing it out. It still looks nice on medium settings and chances are that you will have to drop at least a couple things to make it run smooth. The atmosphere is the best thing about the game, the shooting sucks and the story is really poorly explained.

If you like atmosphere, it's easily worth that. Everyone else, I don't really know.

ArjanN

Monroeski said:
Does Metro actually look good for all the hardware requirements it has? Just got a new comp recently and would like something new to try it out.

Yes, you can crank it up to be pretty much the best looking PC game.

ohhthegore said:
for some reason 10 bucks is my insta-buy price, i feel like a cheap ass passing on it but it just doesn't feel cheap enough yet :lol

Yeah, for all the FPS I've yet to play through, anything over $10 isn't even a consideration.

stuminus3

Also worth noting that Metro 2033 has the most insanely fast loading times ever. I don't know how they do it. Like literally 3 seconds between levels. European voodoo magic.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What's the deal with the Titan Quest expansion? Is it a stand alone game, or does it add new playable characters/levels/etc to the main game?

stuminus3

WanderingWind said:
What's the deal with the Titan Quest expansion? Is it a stand alone game, or does it add new playable characters/levels/etc to the main game?
It adds a whole other act to the end of the game, which you can either play with a new character or continue with one that has finished the main campaign. Sort of like Dragon Age: Awakenings.

It's also very good. Worth getting the Gold bundle and playing through it as one huge game.

Baha

WanderingWind said:

It's not standalone and it adds new classes. Don't remember much beyond that though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
WanderingWind said:

It adds a new act to the end, new character classes, and a ton of improvements and additions to the base campaign (like a new crafting/gem system, new loot).

It is not stand alone. I would never recommend playing base Titan Quest without it though, as it enhances every aspect of the game from start to finish.

Stallion Free said:
Glad to see that the cereal meme still lives on.

Metro 2033 will rape the shit out of your PC if you try maxing it out. It still looks nice on medium settings and chances are that you will have to drop at least a couple things to make it run smooth. The atmosphere is the best thing about the game, the shooting sucks and the story is really poorly explained.

If you like atmosphere, it's easily worth that. Everyone else, I don't really know.
Runs well on my 5850 and AMD quadcore on very high and AAA, I disabled the fancy DX11 effects though - not worth it to go down to high imo.

Why does the shooting suck? I have no problems with it. What does suck is that you can't disable the 360 pad - so the UI is stuck in pad-mode unless you plug it out. I also like the way the story is told - if you care about it you can listen to the story bits in-between levels. Gameplay is usually uninterrupted, if an in-game cutscene does show up you can skip it.

nexen

Phife Dawg said:
Runs well on my 5850 and AMD quadcore on very high and AAA, I disabled the fancy DX11 effects though - not worth it to go down to high imo.

Why does the shooting suck? I have no problems with it. What does suck is that you can't disable the 360 pad - so the UI is stuck in pad-mode unless you plug it out. I also like the way the story is told - if you care about it you can listen to the story bits in-between levels. Gameplay is usually uninterrupted, if an in-game cutscene does show up you can skip it.
One more note on Metro 2033. DX11 and NVidia 3D vision did not play well together in this game on my machine. It would freak out in the start menu and never recover. I could play DX11 fine, NV3D fine, but both together? No.
This was about 5 months ago IIRC, so maybe it has been patched?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
stuminus3 said:
It adds a whole other act to the end of the game, which you can either play with a new character or continue with one that has finished the main campaign. Sort of like Dragon Age: Awakenings.
It's also very good. Worth getting the Gold bundle and playing through it as one huge game.

Baha said:
It's not standalone and it adds new classes. Don't remember much beyond that though.

FlyinJ said:
It adds a new act to the end, new character classes, and a ton of improvements and additions to the base campaign (like a new crafting/gem system, new loot).
It is not stand alone. I would never recommend playing base Titan Quest without it though, as it enhances every aspect of the game from start to finish.

Thanks. Installing now.

Ledsen

Personally I'd advice every FPS fan to check out Metro 2033. It's one of my favourite shooters ever and the whole game just oozes atmosphere. I didn't have any problems at all playing through it (360), and after I was done I checked out some impressions and reviews and was very surprised when people called out the controls. To me they were as good as in any fps and didn't cause any problems at all. Buy it people, buy it now! Putting on the gas mask with the awesome animation, seeing your breath clouding the cracked visor and listening to the heavy breathing is almost worth the price of admission alone.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know if there's any good deals for Call of Duty: Black Ops? (UK)

Steam has it at £40 which seems really pricey.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's a dumb reason, but I can' see myself playing Metro 2033 just because of Steve Blum. He's been in more than half the games I've played in the last 3 years, and it's getting on my nerves.

Nothing against him, but I've just been overexposed.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
D4Danger said:
does anyone know if there's any good deals for Call of Duty: Black Ops? (UK)

Steam has it at £40 which seems really pricey.
£35 seems to be the cheapest you'll find it anywhere online (checked GAME, Play and Shopto).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How would Metro 2033 run on a E8500 @ 3.3Ghz?
Gpu is super awesome HD5870.

I mean, I'm not expecting it to run at highest settings or anything but can I play it without it looking like butt?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Phife Dawg said:

Runs well? What do you classify well as? Because runs well is 60 fps to me and there is no way you are getting a rock solid 60 on very high, especially in segments that have heavy amounts of lights.

The shooting has some of the worst hit detection in a shooter I have played in the past couple years. Enemy hit boxes are borderline broken.

Ledsen

opticalmace said:
Is Metro 2033 jumpy/scary at all?

Also all over MLB 2k10. Hope it`s good.

Some parts are pretty creepy. You spend most of the game in dark subway tunnels, sometimes venturing out into the toxic outside world when you absolutely need to. There aren't really any jump scares and I wouldn't classify it as horror in any way, but the setting makes for some pretty tense moments.

God damned it now I have to replay it.

Shaneus

Australians: We get bent over for Metro, but mightyape.com.au sell the boxed version for $6.99AU :lol Ended up costing me $10AU shipped to Geelong.

Salacious Crumb

Shaneus said:
Australians: We get bent over for Metro, but mightyape.com.au sell the boxed version for $6.99AU :lol Ended up costing me $10AU shipped to Geelong.

Nice, just placed my order. How long did postage take for you? I'm really keen to play some scary games over the Halloween weekend.

Cheers for the heads up.

Stallion Free said:
Runs well? What do you classify well as? Because runs well is 60 fps to me and there is no way you are getting a rock solid 60 on very high, especially in segments that have heavy amounts of lights.

The shooting has some of the worst hit detection in a shooter I have played in the past couple years. Enemy hit boxes are borderline broken.
I don't have Fraps or anything like that. It's not silky smooth like say Source engine games but it runs well and I'm pretty anal about framerates. Fwiw I'm running it at 720p, dunno if resolution makes a big difference in this game.

Didn't notice the hit boxes problem but then again I'm more the run and gun type of player. *shrugs*

Moobabe said:
How big is Metro?
Steam says 6780 Mb disc usage.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lyphen said:
It's a dumb reason, but I can' see myself playing Metro 2033 just because of Steve Blum. He's been in more than half the games I've played in the last 3 years, and it's getting on my nerves.

Nothing against him, but I've just been overexposed.
Can't it be set to Russian + subtitles?

Anyway, I'm going to hold out, until I get a laptop with the Mobility 6870. I'd have to make too many compromises, with my current machine.

stuminus3

The biggest resource hog in Metro (other than the Advanced DOF and Tessellation features, both of which are DX11 and can be toggled separately) is the volumetric foggy lighting effect you get at Very High settings, the game is very smooth for me at 1600x900 at Very High on my HD5770 until I hit a scene that makes heavy use of that particular effect. I've got no idea if it's possible to switch on Very High settings but remove that effect, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Phife Dawg said:
I don't have Fraps or anything like that. It's not silky smooth like say Source engine games but it runs well and I'm pretty anal about framerates. Fwiw I'm running it at 720p, dunno if resolution makes a big difference in this game.
It does in here and almost every other game. 1080p has 3+ times the number of pixels being rendered in comparison to 720p.

Kritz

Banned
I suppose nobody would be able to gift me Metro 2033 on the basis that I won't be able to pay you back for 2-3 days as my Paypal doesn't have dosh in it at the moment? Alternatively I could gift you a game worth roughly the same as it (which I could do instantly)?

... didn't think so. :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz said:
I suppose nobody would be able to gift me Metro 2033 on the basis that I won't be able to pay you back for 2-3 days as my Paypal doesn't have dosh in it at the moment? Alternatively I could gift you a game worth roughly the same as it (which I could do instantly)?

... didn't think so. :(

Just get it from mightyape. You get a pretty box and all.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
crimsonheadGCN said:
Seems like it was released outside of the US today and November 3 will be US release.

It's under the new release here in Australia but i can't actually download or buy it. Not too sure what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom