• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

AI War: Children of Neinzul expansion is up too for $4

really tempting... I want to support them since I remember reading Arcen Games was in a bad spot financially

will buy as soon as I have the money

edit: also for this reason

Child's Play

When you purchase AI War: Children Of Neinzul, you're not only getting an exciting new expansion, you're also supporting an important cause. Arcen Games has partnered with the Child's Play charity, pledging 100% of the profits from sale of Children of Neinzul (excepting any taxes and distributor fees) to helping sick kids in need.

Goron2000

best junior ever
In the week long sales do Valve ever put sales on the complete packs? I'd really like to get the THQ pack but don't want to buy it in case it goes on sale this week..

Goron2000 said:
In the week long sales do Valve ever put sales on the complete packs? I'd really like to get the THQ pack but don't want to buy it in case it goes on sale this week..

THQ Pack will most likely be on sale on the last day.

Why are the AI War expansion packs in different formats? Are they different types of expansion packs?

Also, I assume my 8800 GT is not nearly enough for Metro? It's listed as the minimum...

Shaneus

Salacious Crumb said:
Nice, just placed my order. How long did postage take for you? I'm really keen to play some scary games over the Halloween weekend.

Cheers for the heads up.
No worries! I'm just glad *someone* got some use out of it... the amount of people who were saying "I can't wait for Metro 2033 to go on sale!" and "I wonder if it'll get a massive discount this weekend" were shitting me. That was AFTER I posted the link several times.

As for shipping times, can't quite remember how long it took (it was a while ago I ordered, it's been on sale forever) but I think it was about a week or so. Highly doubt you're getting it this week, I'm afraid (but at that price, it doesn't really matter!).

Was going to suggest I give you mine in the meantime, but unless you live in Geelong (or somewhere around the Melbourne CBD) I wouldn't be able to get it to you in time.
Yes, it's still unopened :lol

coopolon

Shaneus said:
No worries! I'm just glad *someone* got some use out of it... the amount of people who were saying "I can't wait for Metro 2033 to go on sale!" and "I wonder if it'll get a massive discount this weekend" were shitting me. That was AFTER I posted the link several times.

As for shipping times, can't quite remember how long it took (it was a while ago I ordered, it's been on sale forever) but I think it was about a week or so. Highly doubt you're getting it this week, I'm afraid (but at that price, it doesn't really matter!).

Was going to suggest I give you mine in the meantime, but unless you live in Geelong (or somewhere around the Melbourne CBD) I wouldn't be able to get it to you in time.
Yes, it's still unopened :lol

I appreciated the link, the problem is it costs $16 to ship it to the US.

Shaneus

coopolon said:
I appreciated the link, the problem is it costs $16 to ship it to the US.
Cheers... just saw all these people asking if they could get it cheap and seemingly ignoring the link I'd put up. Thanks for the feedback :)

Prezhulio said:
don't they usually run the pack the whole week of the sale? that's how the lucasarts one last month was anyways...
Yeah, I can't see them putting the pack on sale after putting all these games on sale, that are in the pack...

Joe Molotov

Schmattakopf said:
Yeah, I can't see them putting the pack on sale after putting all these games on sale, that are in the pack...

Remember when they put the GTA Pack on sale after putting the individual games on sale? There were some bitter tears that day. :lol

Prezhulio

Schmattakopf said:

yeah i'm really on the fence about picking up metro 2033 because of that. oh well, i think i'll pass right now and if the packs not on sale at some point this week i'll pick up metro 2033 during it's inevitable sale over the holidays.

LyR

Banned
wow and I almost bought Metro 2033 for 34,99euro last week

thank god I waited

10,20euro... seriously, what a great f*cking deal

hamchan

Schmattakopf said:
I can certainly see them doing that. Making people waste money by buying all these individual games then putting the pack on sale at a price where most people will still buy it. You're essentially getting less of a discount by buying these games individually then buying the pack. It's why I want to be able to have duplicate giftable copies for all games but of course publishers being publishers won't allow that.

The Big Rig said:
So what should I do? Should I get Metro 2033 now, or take my chances on the potential THQ pack sale?
Depends. What other THQ games would you actually want to purchase? If only a couple, buy Metro now. If a whole bunch, then I guess wait for the pack?

I take no responsibility for what you do with this information.

opticalmace said:
Depends. What other THQ games would you actually want to purchase? If only a couple, buy Metro now. If a whole bunch, then I guess wait for the pack?

I take no responsibility for what you do with this information.
Well, I don't have any of the DoW games, nor any of the CoH games. Don't have Saints Row 2 (although this thread makes me think that's a good thing), and don't have Metro 2033. The other games I have no real opinion on.

D-Pad

So I made my first purchase off of Steam today. The game was DogFighter, which runs like crap on my laptop. This makes me wonder, as someone who is/was hoping to get into PC gaming what the average minimum requirements are for most PC games. Is DogFighter just deamanding or is it one of the least? Am I basically screwed unless I want to by a new computer? I was specifically looking forward to buying Borderlands but if my laptop can't handle it I might just stick to console gaming for a good while longer.

Konosuke

When does the L4D 50% off sale ends? 3 of my friends lost the 66% sale because they couldn't find a 4th person -.-

I don't want them to miss it again.

Recon

Banned
Konosuke said:
When does the L4D 50% off sale ends? 3 of my friends lost the 66% sale because they couldn't find a 4th person -.-

Why would you lose out on that awesome sale just because you cant do a 4 pack? ....

D-Pad said:
So I made my first purchase off of Steam today. The game was DogFighter, which runs like crap on my laptop. This makes me wonder, as someone who is/was hoping to get into PC gaming what the average minimum requirements are for most PC games. Is DogFighter just deamanding or is it one of the least? Am I basically screwed unless I want to by a new computer? I was specifically looking forward to buying Borderlands but if my laptop can't handle it I might just stick to console gaming for a good while longer.
What's are the specs on your laptop?

Konosuke said:

just buy it and sell the 4th copy later, im sure someone will miss the sale and be looking to buy it later on

D-Pad

The Big Rig said:
What's are the specs on your laptop?

Taken from System Info:

Windows 7 Home Premuim (x64)
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M500, 2200Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
4GB RAM

Shaneus

D-Pad said:
Taken from System Info:

Windows 7 Home Premuim (x64)
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M500, 2200Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
4GB RAM
Graphics? Performance of most games now are more reliant on GPU than CPU... especially for laptops where graphics tend to be less of a selling point.

Shaneus

Found this thread on the AMD forums, should give you some insight:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=355&threadid=123001

In short, doesn't look real flash. Gaming on laptops only really took off in the last year or two and by the sounds of it, that GPU is older than that (when there wasn't really a need for 3D performance). There are a lot of games that are optimised to run on lower specced PCs/laptops, but 3D action ones like Dogfigher wouldn't be. More RTS-type games.

D-Pad

I see. thanks for the help guys. much appreciated! guess I'll be waiting a while longer before getting into (serious) PC Gaming.

Just tried running Metro 2033 for the first time after downloading it on Steam, and this pops up:

9apbae.jpg

The fuck?

Edit: Restarted Steam and it fixed the problem, nvm.

benjipwns

Banned
D-Pad said:
One key thing to note is if there are demos, Dogfighter has one for example and the link is helpfully right there on the store page. On the PC demos can have an extra "will this thing even run?" component they don't on consoles.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's any chance you could run Borderlands. Like others have noted look more into indie titles or "lesser tech" games plenty of which have demos on Steam. For example, I have a cheapo Dell laptop I got on sale for web browsing, papers, or other things on the go that struggles to run Half Life 1 properly, but something like Torchlight is optimized and scales well and is fully playable on lower settings. And things like Civ IV are fine since you don't need any kind of immediate action, the graphics just look a tad worse and the turns take longer than on my desktop.

At least it was only $1.50, hopefully your next PC can run it, one of the Steam advantages since it'll still be sitting there in your account down the road.
Hopefully.

Apologies for asking here, but I thought it best as it was the sale game today: How scary is Metro 2033. I want to get it, even just to test out the DX11 (i have a new HD5770) on an FPS. BUt considering I had to put down Dead Space after a couple of hours (i play with headphones tbf), am I just going to be shitting my pants very quickly in this game?

And yes, I know I'm a complete and utter wuss :lol

SmokyDave

D-Pad said:
I see. thanks for the help guys. much appreciated! guess I'll be waiting a while longer before getting into (serious) PC Gaming.
You might be ok with Source Engine games (L4D, Half-Life 2 etc). I game on a laptop with an 8600m GT and it handles the Source engine games with ease.

Brewster's Wallet said:
Apologies for asking here, but I thought it best as it was the sale game today: How scary is Metro 2033. I want to get it, even just to test out the DX11 (i have a new HD5770) on an FPS. BUt considering I had to put down Dead Space after a couple of hours (i play with headphones tbf), am I just going to be shitting my pants very quickly in this game?

With Dead Space being a 10 on a scare scale, Metro is a 3 :)

Ledsen

Brewster's Wallet said:

It's not really scary but can get pretty tense at times. No jump scares or anything though. Certainly nothing like Dead Space. Great game though, buy it :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
It's not really scary but can get pretty tense at times. No jump scares or anything though. Certainly nothing like Dead Space. Great game though, buy it :)

I'm right before the Library in Metro, and the worst part is when those freaky low-to-the-ground buggers that run fast as heck jump in your face and start attacking you. And there's a few times where you can hear enemies lurking in large abandoned buildings well before you see them. Haven't played Dead Space yet, but Metro's slightly above RE4 for me. I guess if we're calling Metro a 3, I'd say RE4 was a 2.5, it had some tense moments too.

Edit: Also playing with headphones and at night usually, makes a tremendous difference in scare factor. Playing Metro on my desktop speakers feels much less frightening.

zlatko

Banned
Kinda sad that Dragon Age Ultimate Edition is a full 50 when Amazon is selling it for 40.

:( I'm still just UGH that PC games you download cost more than getting the damn thing from a store. I'd kiss everyone responsible for Steam if they would even drop the price of games just 5 dollars if you opt to download instead of getting a hard copy.

Nickiepoo

zlatko said:
Kinda sad that Dragon Age Ultimate Edition is a full 50 when Amazon is selling it for 40.

:( I'm still just UGH that PC games you download cost more than getting the damn thing from a store. I'd kiss everyone responsible for Steam if they would even drop the price of games just 5 dollars if you opt to download instead of getting a hard copy.

A lot of this comes from publishers being unwilling to piss off physical retailers by letting DD price them out of the market.

Physical retail is a huge percentage of video game sales, and having a mega-chain like wall-mart refuse to stock your product because you let steam undercut them could be pretty bad for said product.

Not that any of this explains DD costing more though.

coopolon

D-Pad said:

But wait! Don't go yet! Some of the greatest games ever made are at your fingertips at GOG.com for incredibly low prices. And your laptop will be able to handle most of them (not all, but most) just fine.

Ihya

Ledsen said:

Year, tense is the word. Play it in the dark and some sections are excellent for atmosphere.

1-D_FTW

Nickiepoo said:
A lot of this comes from publishers being unwilling to piss off physical retailers by letting DD price them out of the market.

Physical retail is a huge percentage of video game sales, and having a mega-chain like wall-mart refuse to stock your product because you let steam undercut them could be pretty bad for said product.

Not that any of this explains DD costing more though.

Except for PC retail is almost dead. Walmart carries a pitiful selection these days. Target and Best Buy really haven't cut back on shelf space, but it seems the selection is a fraction of what it once was. At this point, I don't really see the danger is pissing them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom