• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoFuzz

I'm glad to see Lead & Gold and Shattered Horizon get some attention. These weekends are always nice to bring around a few players, if only for a little while anyways. I enjoyed both games and they really deserved a bigger audience.

Has a free weekend ever successfully brought any multiplayer focused title back from the brink of death? Sorry to say that I can't think of a single example of this, but I guess they gotta try somehow.

Should have called it the Stillborn Indie Shooter Pack lololol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shattered Horizons is a complete joke. They ruined it further in a patch that added shitty weapons that aren't even up to mod standards visually.

They took an awesome concept and ruined.

Dreohboy said:
This.

Mass Effect 1- unfinished
Mass Effect 2 - never installed
Resident Evil 5 - never finished
Wahammer 40 K Dawn of War 1 AND 2 - never finished
Ghostbusters- never installed
Half Life 2 - haven't gotten half way through the first episode
Dead Space - half way finished
Call of Duty Modern Warfare - never installed
Company of Heroes....hell, haven't gotten past the second tutorial

STOP BUYING GAMES!!!!
(says this, but I'm buying Lead and Gold on Friday :D )
Oh man, you might not have finished the first game yet but I suggest you stick a few hours to one side this week and play ME2 from the start, it's much nicer to play in chunks as the combat is much better and there's plenty of moments you can save at, each area or quest you land at works like a level now so you can clear an area and feel like you progressed, I'm not the biggest fan of making the ME world feel like a level system but it works and you still get an open go anywhere feeling.

Play it!

Stallion Free said:
Shattered Horizons is a complete joke. They ruined it further in a patch that added shitty weapons that aren't even up to mod standards visually.

I agree, I had good fun with the game when I bought it full price (plus my pc was new so it was my first DX10 title) but once they threw in those rough looking weapons it became just another shooter to me, not played it since really :/

I found it good when the rifle was an all-in-one weapon, scope for range shots, burst fire for medium range and knife people in your face or spray them, felt good and you didn't feel like you had the wrong weapon for the wrong reason.

Stallion Free said:
I liked Lead & Gold a lot. Controlling the character and leaping all over the place feels really really good. If you can get a group of buddies to play with you it's definitely worth it.
Yeah, everything just works and feels good. I think I got burned out on it a while ago but I play a match every once in a while and it's still awesome.

Yeah I'm a big mark for Lead & Gold, that game deserved so much better. I'd recommend it to everyone, but there are currently ....... 7 players online as of me booting it up right now.

My time played is 96 hours, so I got my fun out of it, but I'm not sure there's gonna be a community after the weekend is over. Such a shame.....

Salsa

PedroLumpy said:
Yeah I'm a big mark for Lead & Gold, that game deserved so much better. I'd recommend it to everyone, but there are currently ....... 7 players online as of me booting it up right now.

My time played is 96 hours, so I got my fun out of it, but I'm not sure there's gonna be a community after the weekend is over. Such a shame.....

Yeah, i bought it some time ago and could only play a few times :/

Im not from the US, so it was even worse on my case.

PedroLumpy said:

Wow, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing you around quite a bit. I haven't played in a couple of months but I had a blast when I was playing.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Stallion Free said:

the models aren't up to the game's standards, but despite the strained luddite calls, the new weapons gave granted a greater wealth of tactical expression. this means far more to a game based on 3-axis newtonian physics than a game just padding weapon sets to make a bullet point.

shattered horizon is the most important fps that nobody ever played.

CrookedRain said:
Wow, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing you around quite a bit. I haven't played in a couple of months but I had a blast when I was playing.

All good memories I hope! But yeah, small but serviceable population of players made it have that feeling of community from a dedi server before dedi servers even came in.

Man I wish that game had caught on.....

toasty_T said:
So I actually went through my list of games and counted the ones I actually saw the credits for and I was shocked at how few I've actually finished :lol

Stop buying games dammit.

I did the same and realized that I have only finished a small number (6 plus all parts of Half Life 2 and the first 2 seasons of Sam and Max), but that includes quite a few very long games and I have put 5+ hours into plenty of games that I bought for under $10. I have yet to finish the Witcher, but I've played for something like 49 hours (probably a few of those with the game sitting paused). I'm at 9 hours in Tomb Raider Legend, 20 on Bully, 5 on burnout paradise, 6 on Max Payne, 5 on Red Faction Guerilla, 18 on KotOR, 6 of Toki Tori, 14 on Torchlight, 10 on Magic the Gathering, etc.

Sure I have several games I have purchased and not downloaded or have played for less than an hour, but having spent $300 on some 75 games, I am quite satisfied with what I have, and I really have been good about coming back to games that I got in the sales. I only have 3 or 4 games I wish I had not purchased.

What I have barely touched, other than the recent D&D games, are the games I have bought on GOG.

Tokubetsu

Diablohead said:
Oh man, you might not have finished the first game yet but I suggest you stick a few hours to one side this week and play ME2 from the start, it's much nicer to play in chunks as the combat is much better and there's plenty of moments you can save at, each area or quest you land at works like a level now so you can clear an area and feel like you progressed, I'm not the biggest fan of making the ME world feel like a level system but it works and you still get an open go anywhere feeling.

Play it!

I agree, I had good fun with the game when I bought it full price (plus my pc was new so it was my first DX10 title) but once they threw in those rough looking weapons it became just another shooter to me, not played it since really :/

I found it good when the rifle was an all-in-one weapon, scope for range shots, burst fire for medium range and knife people in your face or spray them, felt good and you didn't feel like you had the wrong weapon for the wrong reason.

Same. In trying to cater to a wider audience that wasn't there to begin with, they completely killed it and ruined it for everyone who like the way it was and still played it. I played it everyweeked pre weapon patch. I don't even have it installed anymore.

Tokubetsu

John said:
i have not installed the last six or so steam games i've bought

it's terrible
The amount of games I have installed on Steam right now isn't even a third of the games I own and I have something like 30 installed atm.

Is James Bond: Blood Stone hitting steam? I don't see why it wouldn't since other activision games (and other activision bond games even) are on steam but I searched the store and it didn't come up

As far as I know the PC version comes out tomorrow along with the console versions

graywolf323

HamPster PamPster said:
Is James Bond: Blood Stone hitting steam? I don't see why it wouldn't since other activision games (and other activision bond games even) are on steam but I searched the store and it didn't come up

As far as I know the PC version comes out tomorrow along with the console versions

could be like Force Unleashed II which didn't show up on Steam until it released

not everything gets put in coming soon before it actually releases

Yeef

I only install games if I know that I'll be playing them withing the next three days or so. When I finish I game I generally uninstall it immediately unless I know I'll be playing it again soon.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:

Ignore, this game is out of this world, more people really need to play it.

Lead and Gold is fucking awesome! They should do the free weekend and put the price up at 5 bucks permanently. A shame it's dead as it is.

Masenkame

Lead and Gold is a great game. I have put many hours into the game since I bought it during a free weekend at the end of July. It controls great, and it's so much fun on a good server with decent people.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ai war is on sale for 4.99 instead of 9.99. Anyone got impressions? Tactical depth, sense of exploration?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SapientWolf said:
The average AI War match lasts longer than the average RTS campaign.
Well long doesn't equal engaging depth. The reviews mention its only for people with OCD tendencies. Any way a normal player could enjoy it? A small text why you liked it would be very appreciated.

ArjanN

graywolf323 said:
could be like Force Unleashed II which didn't show up on Steam until it released

not everything gets put in coming soon before it actually releases

And Activision is actually pretty bad with Steam IMO. Singularity is not available on the european side of Steam, that Wolverine game isn't on Steam at all, etc.

Oh god, people. AI War has more depth and better AI than any RTS ever made. Take a grand strategy turn-based game, make it real time, add AMAZING coop and infinite variability and you have AI War. It's a game that, based on its quality, should be many times its price.

Also, as mentioned, a game generally lasts many hours.

Toma

dollartaco said:
Oh god, people. AI War has more depth and better AI than any RTS ever made. Take a grand strategy turn-based game, make it real time, add AMAZING coop and infinite variability and you have AI War. It's a game that, based on its quality, should be many times its price.

Seems to be a pity that people don't pick it up. Guess I'll pick it up later tonight. Shall I get the expansion too for maximum enjoyment?

wsippel

Banned
Toma said:
Seems to be a pity that people don't pick it up. Guess I'll pick it up later tonight. Shall I get the expansion too for maximum enjoyment?
I guess you've already noticed that the game has no campaign or story mode whatsoever. The expansions simply add more stuff to the base game. Stuff that mixes the game up considerably. More ships, more AI types with different behavior, more factions, unique stuff that isn't in the base game like golems, map types, new music and what not. I think it's well worth it (even though you'll probably turn off most of the additions on your first game to make it less complex), especially considering one is on sale and all the revenue from the other goes to charity. There's also a third expansion currently in the works that will be revealed in a couple of days, which will probably contain a scenario editor. Also, Arcen is a great dev and deserves support. Their ongoing support for AI War easily rivals Valves own efforts with TFII - huge free updates with additional content on a regular basis and such.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dreohboy said:
This.

Mass Effect 1- unfinished
Mass Effect 2 - never installed
Resident Evil 5 - never finished
Wahammer 40 K Dawn of War 1 AND 2 - never finished
Ghostbusters- never installed
Half Life 2 - haven't gotten half way through the first episode
Dead Space - half way finished
Call of Duty Modern Warfare - never installed
Company of Heroes....hell, haven't gotten past the second tutorial

STOP BUYING GAMES!!!!
(says this, but I'm buying Lead and Gold on Friday :D )
I wish my list was that short.

How long is AI War on sale anyway? I am sort of broke.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dollartaco said:

i could never get into this game when i first bought it, but the re-done ui, backdrops and ambient soundtrack make it a completely blissful universe to occupy.

Toma

ghst said:
i could never get into this game when i first bought it, but the re-done ui, backdrops and ambient soundtrack make it a completely blissful universe to occupy.

Okay-o bought it. :) Thanks for all your comments.

Edit and some poster was reffering to an upcoming update. If you mean 4.0 and the "Children of Neinzul" Expansion, they are already out.

wsippel

Banned
Toma said:
Okay-o bought it. :) Thanks for all your comments.

Edit and some poster was reffering to an upcoming update. If you mean 4.0 and the "Children of Neinzul" Expansion, they are already out.
I assume you mean my post? No, I was talking about the third expansion, "Light of the Spire", scheduled for December.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Toma said:
Well long doesn't equal engaging depth. The reviews mention its only for people with OCD tendencies. Any way a normal player could enjoy it? A small text why you liked it would be very appreciated.
It's not too complex mechanically. Most RTS veterans can get a grasp on how to play after a quick tutorial. But the sheer scope of the game lends itself to myriads of multilayered strategies and the asymmetrical nature of the game keeps the intensity high even after match has reached the 10 hour mark. Your actions have a direct effect on the AI itself (via the progress meter that measures aggression), giving weight to each tactical decision. This gives the game depth without putting all the emphasis on logistics, which makes it appealing to me.

Toma

wsippel said:
I assume you mean my post? No, I was talking about the third expansion, "Light of the Spire", scheduled for December.

Yes thank you :) I was posting before on iPad and had some connection problems. Sorry that I couldnt look up your name again.

SapientWolf said:
It's not too complex mechanically. Most RTS veterans can get a grasp on how to play after a quick tutorial. But the sheer scope of the game lends itself to myriads of multilayered strategies and the asymmetrical nature of the game keeps the intensity high even after match has reached the 10 hour mark. Your actions have a direct effect on the AI itself (via the progress meter that measures aggression), giving weight to each tactical decision. This gives the game depth without putting all the emphasis on logistics, which makes it appealing to me.

And this sounds really good. I already bought it and hope I can check it out soon. My notebook cooling system died yesterday :( Hopefully I can find someone to repair it.
Thanks again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah Trine is boss. I got it way back around release and didn't touch it for quite a while and then one day I started it and beat in ~ two days and it was an absolute pleasure. Really a gorgeous game. Don't bother with controller though, the game mechanics were designed around MKB and it's a million times easier using that.

IceMarker

I liked Trine, but sadly it didn't get much better in the later half of the game. $5 is certainly worth it though. Plus it's one of the most visually impressive games out today.

Remy said:
I like that when you try to register Bloody Good Time with Ubisoft, "Steam" and "Xbox Live Arcade" are not options to answer "Where You Bought The Game From" with.

*headdesk*
Why the fuck would you register a game with Ubisoft?

Are we gonna have an OT or online thread for BGT? Seems like it's super niche on PC and difficult to get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom