• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyong

Banned
Ok, quick question about Steamworks and CoD:

I would like to buy CoD: Black Ops BUT with my trade-in credits (sitting there) on my Gamestop account. If I purchase the retail version of CoD, does this mean that it syncs with my Steam account? So if I were to lose the disk down the road, I could reinstall is by downloading via Steam? In otherwords, is there 'any' difference between purchasing a Steam title and purchasing a Steamworks title, as far as Steam features go?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this online.

pyros

any news about Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition coming to steam, want to get it, but not from ea store

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
nyong said:
Ok, quick question about Steamworks and CoD:

I would like to buy CoD: Black Ops BUT with my trade-in credits (sitting there) on my Gamestop account. If I purchase the retail version of CoD, does this mean that it syncs with my Steam account? So if I were to lose the disk down the road, I could reinstall is by downloading via Steam? In otherwords, is there 'any' difference between purchasing a Steam title and purchasing a Steamworks title, as far as Steam features go?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this online.
No difference, other then you get to have a box.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
animlboogy said:
Couple quick questions:

Can you use the EA codes for Dragon Age on Steam? I know the Direct2Drive codes work for the EA downloader.

And is GTA: San Andreas worth owning on PC for any reason beyond high-res? Any absolutely mind-blowing mods or something?

Well, the framerate was pretty horrid on the PS2 version, wasn't it?

Picked up supreme com. 2 and the dlc. I liked the demo so.....

teepo said:
shattered horizons is so bought.

rarely am i that impressed with a game.

I know right.... Shame about the non-existant player base :/
reminds me to play this weekend while people will be palying lol :p

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Holy fuck, the control configuration in the GTA 3 series is a complete mess! It's a real nightmare to get working with an X360 controller, even with Joy2Key. There's a bazillion assignments to make in both Joy2Key AND GTA to get it to work properly.

This is the thing that makes me despise PC gaming, the kind of stuff that really discourages me from buying PC games, especially some older titles. I kinda regret getting the GTA pack now.

Rufus

StarEye said:
Holy fuck, the control configuration in the GTA 3 series is a complete mess! It's a real nightmare to get working with an X360 controller, even with Joy2Key. There's a bazillion assignments to make in both Joy2Key AND GTA to get it to work properly.

This is the thing that makes me despise PC gaming, the kind of stuff that really discourages me from buying PC games, especially some older titles. I kinda regret getting the GTA pack now.
Control configurations? I can understand bugs, driver problems, hardware limitations, but this? As far as I remember, the games work fine with any DirectInput device, i.e. regular game controllers, or what most USB adapters for console controllers use. The problem with the 360 controller and older games is XInput, Microsofts brilliant new API. I know GTA3 works well with a PS2 controller through a USB adapter, because I remember configuring the controls for it in-game. There was no need to use Joy2Key or Xpadder.

StarEye said:

i have a similar problem with san andreas. once i realized it was pretty unplayable with kb/mouse i tried my 360 pad and barely anything worked. i was about to buy a standard pc pad to play it. this "joy2key", can i configure everything i need? i wouldnt mind having the same setup as it was on the ds2

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Chacranajxy said:
Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga is really tempting me. I loved the original DD and hated BD, but I wanted to believe Divinity 2 would be good... it sounds like this is basically Divinity 2, but actually polished and finished now. :-/
Well. You get the original Divinity 2 with reworked graphics, new quests and new items.
But you also get the expansion pack. So it's kind of a two for one price.

I'm interested in it as well, been reading on the Steam forums for it, seems it's hardlocked at 30 FPS and that 30 FPS hurts people's eyes.

epmode

StarEye said:

Lots of games from that era have the same problem with controllers. Things are a LOT better now.

Anyway, if you really want to use a 360 pad with the GTA games, you're going to need to use a custom driver. It's called XBCD and it's kind of a bitch to get working with Windows 7 64 BUT IT DOES WORK AND I AM LIVING PROOF.

XBCD allows you to configure exactly what each button and axis does on the 360 pad so you find out what the game is actually looking for then configure your controller to match. Time consuming but it's just about the only way to get those older games working with a 360 pad.

epmode said:
Lots of games from that era have the same problem with controllers. Things are a LOT better now.

Anyway, if you really want to use a 360 pad with the GTA games, you're going to need to use a custom driver. It's called XBCD and it's kind of a bitch to get working with Windows 7 64 BUT IT DOES WORK AND I AM LIVING PROOF.

XBCD allows you to configure exactly what each button and axis does on the 360 pad so you find out what the game is actually looking for then configure your controller to match. Time consuming but it's just about the only way to get those older games working with a 360 pad.

thank you

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Rufus said:
Control configurations? I can understand bugs, driver problems, hardware limitations, but this? As far as I remember, the games work fine with any DirectInput device, i.e. regular game controllers, or what most USB adapters for console controllers use. The problem with the 360 controller and older games is XInput, Microsofts brilliant new API. I know GTA3 works well with a PS2 controller through a USB adapter, because I remember configuring the controls for it in-game. There was no need to use Joy2Key or Xpadder.

Control configurations is piss-boring and takes a huge amount of time to get everything like you want it to. Because of the way controllers are read are so different, the controls will be different. Plus the damn right analogue stick problem where it's apparently working fine in windows, but in the game left/right becomes up/down.

The default configuration is messed up beyond belief, because if I use that, I use Circle sprint or accelerate, and triangle to brake, square is enter/exit vehicle and X is attack/fire. The analogues is not possible to configure, thus I can't disable them so I can use Joy2Key and map the mouse control to it instead . Using Classic mode (not the horrid WASD FPS control that they forced into the game) makes use of my pad by default, so it overrides Joy2Key assigns.

This, I must say, is a horrible horrible port, when it comes to controls. For the first time I wish I could sell or lift the purchase of a Steam game.

Sotha Sil

I just noticed that Eschalon Book II was -20% off. I've heard a lot of good about this game; might try it out. Anyone played it?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Just bought ME2 on a whim, and FUCK is the game gorgeous. Its price on Steam is also very cool! Iirc, it's more pricey at retail right now, actually. Which is sort of a curiosity.

RedSwirl

Okay guys, I already own GTA IV and San Andreas on both PlayStation and PC. Are Vice City and III worth my time for a combined $5?

I've had a lot of problems with the GTA franchise that I've tried so far (IV and SA), many of them stemming from the controls on the console versions. I've done okay at IV on PS3 but it hasn't been easy, and I'm absolutely terrible at SA.

I absolutely love the atmosphere of SA but there's too much to keep track of. Gang territory, your girlfriend, working out, then there's driving. It seems like I can't even get my car across a couple streets without accidentally crashing it right when the police see me - disrupting my game time with a car chase, or it getting shot up by rival gangs. Worst of all, Having to drive across town to activate a mission, then all the way back to do that mission, only to die because of the shitty controls and then have to manually reload because I lose all the armor and guys that I drove all over town to get.

That's the other thing, I hate the save system of the entire franchise. Even IV's instant retry is useless because all your weapons and armor are still depleted.

Do these same problems still exist in the earlier 3D GTA games?

epmode said:

I think XBCD only works with the wired controller. There's another unsigned third-party driver you can use with a wireless pad but the site and readme are in Japanese (thankfully you can download English versions of the driver itself). I used this for a while about a year ago and it worked well, but ultimately decided I would rather just use a PS2 pad.

RedSwirl

StarEye said:

In my experience the controls are equally bad on the console versions. The general consensus is that you WANT to play with a mouse.

Yeah when I played SA, I used keyboard/mouse for running and shooting because it was so much better, but picked up my pad for driving and flying. It was cool the game would let you switch on the fly like that.

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
Okay guys, I already own GTA IV and San Andreas on both PlayStation and PC. Are Vice City and III worth my time for a combined $5?

I've had a lot of problems with the GTA franchise that I've tried so far (IV and SA), many of them stemming from the controls on the console versions. I've done okay at IV on PS3 but it hasn't been easy, and I'm absolutely terrible at SA.

I absolutely love the atmosphere of SA but there's too much to keep track of. Gang territory, your girlfriend, working out, then there's driving. It seems like I can't even get my car across a couple streets without accidentally crashing it right when the police see me - disrupting my game time with a car chase, or it getting shot up by rival gangs. Worst of all, Having to drive across town to activate a mission, then all the way back to do that mission, only to die because of the shitty controls and then have to manually reload because I lose all the armor and guys that I drove all over town to get.

That's the other thing, I hate the save system of the entire franchise. Even IV's instant retry is useless because all your weapons and armor are still depleted.

Do these same problems still exist in the earlier 3D GTA games?

Further question: Does Red Dead Redemption have the same problems? If so then I probably won't ever buy it.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally tried Shattered Horizon after getting it on sale a while back.

With an e8400 and 5850, I got a relatively playable 20-40 fps, with D3DOverrider for triple buffering. Yeah, I probably didn't need it since it wouldn't be going over 60 but whatever. It seemed at least partly GPU-limited, since I was using max settings with 4xAA ingame, but I think I got like 15 fps when I switched to 4xMSAA. I kind of agree that it looks decent but is not so visually impressive that I "feel" like it should be so rough on the GPU.

The gameplay is interesting. I got a few kills, and one teamkill (yellow team has blue suits I guess, which confused me). It seems learning the maps helps a lot. I could hardly do anything with the railgun, machine gun, and SMG, but the assault rifle is decent and I assume it was the original gun anyway. I tried a few grenades but it seems tough to use them to decent effect unless it is on a control point.

I am not sure I would play it much, but it's cool to have the zero-G stuff. I may have gotten a little lost and disoriented a few times, but it really didn't seem as bad as I might have heard. Maybe because I've played X-Wing/flight simulators before it just felt like flying a spaceship? Who knows.

The user interface was okay, and they have the tutorial popups to help remind you of keys quickly, which is good. The server browser thing lets you sort by ping BUT I really feel like there should be some sort of auto-join, or a better way to try to get in then connect -> delay -> server full -> refresh and try again.

Overall, it's worth taking a look at, it's something different, and it looks decent. I'm glad someone made it for the PC. If I were going to play a game more than occasionally, though, I might just play Lead and Gold instead. :D

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
RedSwirl said:
Further question: Does Red Dead Redemption have the same problems? If so then I probably won't ever buy it.

RDR is like gta in a wide open area. You don't have to worry too much about being in the wrong territory. Wild animals may get you if you're in the wrong part of the map but you can be outside a city, do almost anything, and never encounter the law.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
RedSwirl said:

I don't think I ever encountered any of those problems in Red Dead. In Red Dead, you play a good guy, so you're not wanted most of the time, nor are there wandering "gangs" out to get you. If you want trouble, you usually have to seek it. Checkpoints were more or less perfect for the entire game for me, and you retry from last checkpoint with the ammo you had when you reached that checkpoint.

Okay, we all know the Steam Update News window, and we all know about the TF2 hat that comes with Poker Night at the Inventory.

So this pic appeared in my Update news. But what is that gun the Heavy is holding? I've played a fair amount of TF2, and I'm pretty sure none of the Heavy Primary weapons look like that. Did I miss some TF2 update? I checked the TF2 wiki, it's not there....

*snip*

EDIT: Mystery solved

PedroLumpy said:
Okay, we all know the Steam Update News window, and we all know about the TF2 hat that comes with Poker Night at the Inventory.

So this pic appeared in my Update news. But what is that gun the Heavy is holding? I've played a fair amount of TF2, and I'm pretty sure none of the Heavy Primary weapons look like that. Did I miss some TF2 update? I checked the TF2 wiki, it's not there....

qstoih.png
preorder Poker Night and find out!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PedroLumpy said:

qstoih.png
Did you check the official wiki, or the old TF2 wiki site?

It is the Iron Curtain, a weapon you can unlock by playing Poker Knight. Its assumed to be a reskin of the normal Minigun. You do not need to preorder the game to get it, just own and play it.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Iron_Curtain

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ugh, I hate the allure of DLC. Those $3.99 Front Mission Evolved Wanzer Packs are calling out to me. Must resist...

At least they gave us some free weapons last week.

Dammit I'll probably fold.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Trying a few games I bought a while ago (Crazy, I know), and I find this really funny for some odd reason:
manual.png

AcridMeat

Banned
Gah, the allure of Poker Night is getting stronger and stronger. I like me some poker now and then, I like me some telltale and I just recently started playing TF2 again.

D:

MNC

AcridMeat said:
Gah, the allure of Poker Night is getting stronger and stronger. I like me some poker now and then, I like me some telltale and I just recently started playing TF2 again.

D:
Do you like lunch?

Do you think you can make your own sandviches for one day?

Then do so, like that lunch instead, then use lunchmoney for poker night!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, there's a big wad of games from Centauri Production that just got added:

- Pound of Ground; seems to be sort of open world third person shooter jank-em-up, $8.99 ($1 off regular $9.99)
- Pat & Mat; seems to be a puzzle game maybe aimed towards kids, $8.99 ($1 off regular $9.99)
- Alternativa; really visually good looking modern setting PnC adventure, $22.49 ($2.49 off regular $24.99)

Any input on any of them?

stuminus3

AcridMeat said:
I honestly can't think of a reason why you wouldn't go for it, based on these criteria... do it. $0.50 off!

TheExodu5

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

- Pound of Ground; seems to be sort of open world third person shooter jank-em-up, $8.99 ($1 off regular $9.99)
- Pat & Mat; seems to be a puzzle game maybe aimed towards kids, $8.99 ($1 off regular $9.99)
- Alternativa; really visually good looking modern setting PnC adventure, $22.49 ($2.49 off regular $24.99)

I would love to get impressions on Alternativa. Looks pretty cool.

Volcynika

Stumpokapow said:

I'm thinking of taking a chance on Alternativa, but not sure. Can't hardly find anything on it other than the main site http://www.centauriproduction.com/alternativa.php

biocat

I had a friend gift me the GTA classics bundle, but it turns out they are the EU versions.
What kinds of differences will I see from the original NA versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom