• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Moobabe said:
According to steam stats lead & gold has twice the players of SH so far :( Come on people - PLAY SHATTERED HORIZON!!
By my measurements, Lead & Gold is twice as good and twice as polished so that makes sense.

stuminus3

mikespit1200 said:
I'm thinking about the GTA pack. Would I like III/VC/SA if I absolutely loved GTA4? Mostly for the story and ambiance? I sunk something like 40 hours into GTA4 which I never typically do with a single player game. Would also be nice if I could enhance the visuals with mods. Otherwise I'll just wait for Black Friday steam sales. Decisions, decisions.
120 hours on SA on PS2, another 120 hours on SA on PC. I have never done that with any other game, ever. The reason? Story and ambiance.

If you can get over the (possibly quite dramatic) difference in graphics, then they're exactly what you're looking for.

Blizzard

Banned
Did anyone ever find a way to use any sort of downsampling or anti-aliasing for Lead and Gold? The new MLAA might do something, I guess, but it would be nice to have another option.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Did anyone ever find a way to use any sort of downsampling or anti-aliasing for Lead and Gold? The new MLAA might do something, I guess, but it would be nice to have another option.
Nabs told me MLAA worked in Bionic Commando which is the same engine and also uses deferred rendering so you have a pretty good shot of it working here.

Bought the GTA pack even though I've had all the games since their release. :lol I doubt I'll even play them anytime soon unless someone puts me on to some incredible mods.

I also bought the Frontier Pack - I built a new comp 2 months ago and have been waiting for a nice Shattered Horizon deal for the DX11 goodness. Pretty sweet that it comes with a discounted Lead & Gold, too. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Nabs told me MLAA worked in Bionic Commando which is the same engine and also uses deferred rendering so you have a pretty good shot of it working here.
Thanks, I appreciate the info since I have been too lazy to go through the process of getting MLAA on a 5850 going.

Rufus said:
No, and it's not going to happen either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Rendering
I saw that it used deferred rendering (and presumably DX9 only so anti-aliasing won't be available), though I am not really familiar with the details of that process. I just thought there might be some workaround. In FUEL, for instance, I might guess, very ignorantly, that deferred rendering was used (I don't actually know). FUEL does let you change some registry settings so it'll render at twice the size and downsample as you play, however. In fact, I think I tried that sort of thing on Lead and Gold, and I seem to remember you can change the render target size. Unfortunately, it did not automatically downsample.

I have not tried attempting MLAA or SSAA on it yet, though. It's a pity, because otherwise I thought it looked good and played fairly smoothly when it was a decent server.

MjFrancis

Is San Andreas still going to be on sale throughout Friday? I'm going to grab this in about eight hours, if it's still there. I've been meaning to pick up the PC version because San Andreas is quite simply one of the best games ever - a true pinnacle of the GTA sandbox formula. Everything since has been a step sideways at best, and horribly regressive and shallow at worst.

And cheaper than a cup of premium coffee? Sold.

And thanks to JADS for directing everyone towards the nocd crack, widescreen support and modding ability. That's exactly why I've been wanting to play GTA:SA all over again. Such a wonderful time sink.

MNC said:
uh

poker night at the inventory is singleplayer only

Why did I not know this :( Ah well it'll still be fun.

No its not. Although you can only use the hat on the Heavy, TF2 is a multi-player game.

Oooh . . . you meant the bonus game that came with the hat.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Salaadin said:
I always get confused when I see people talking about VVVVVV. I might buy it just for this reason. What an odd name.
Try the demo. The name makes sense when you play it.

IceMarker

Just got done playing a few rounds of Shattered Horizon.

Game is still fun! I've owned the game since December of last year and totally owned a bunch of new players in an official server, whoever says this game is bad is way wrong, this game is still amazing after 1 year. :D

Looking to try Lead and Gold now, this one I have never played before so I expect to get owned.

Picked up San Andreas, need to find out how to get the 360 controller working for it.

I also played about 4 hours of Lead and Gold last night, it is an excellent game. It seems to be a very polished game and an even more fun multiplayer shooter. L&G also has awesome 360 controller support and I was racking up kills using it. My best round was 32 kills and 9 deaths using the blaster, that double-barrel shotgun kicks ass. Probably will buy this game later today or tomorrow, it is just too much fun. The synergy abilities are also really cool, reminds me of Americas Army 360.

ArjanN

ACE 1991 said:
So does San Andreas PC hold up? Always wanted to play this game but never did.

It holds up very well, and the PC version is easily the best version. The character models look a bit basic by modern standards. (Hell, they didn't look that great when it came out.)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fredescu said:
Is Divinity II: DKS purchasable in any region yet? I see it in the store, but no buy button.
Wasn't properly released yet. It's purchasable now though. Pretty sweet deal, owners of the regular Divinity 2 (Which is still 10 euros more :lol) get 33% off.

So if I'm getting this right, Dragon Knight Saga contains the entirety of Ego Draconis but remastered?

So it's kind of a CoR: Dark Athena thing going on?

MoFuzz

gregor7777 said:
It's different and a lot of fun. I'll have to try it again with my new CPU. It ran like dogshit no matter the settings last I tried it.
Ambient Occlusion and Anti Aliasing kill the performance. I disable both just to stay above 30 fps at all times. The only thing I have maxed is textures, everything else is set to mid. Give it a shot.

Stallion Free said:
By my measurements, Lead & Gold is twice as good and twice as polished so that makes sense.
Foolish horse! When will you stop trolling the glory that is Shattered Horizon?

The feel and gunplay is not as fast and responsive as the other big budget FPS titles, and the gun models themselves are a little plain, that much is for sure. That's not what the game is about though. The appeal of the game definitely comes from movement in a space setting: the freedom it allows as well as the danger of being hit from literally any direction.

There's most certainly a learning curve with the game as well, and I think that deters a lot of new players after only a short time with the game. There really isn't a whole lot like it, and for that, I definitely feel like I got my $5 worth in the 10 or so hours I've played ('09 holiday sale FTW).

kurahadol

I decided to treat myself to the GTA pack since I never actually finished VC or even played San Andreas. Is there a list of suggested mods to go for with SA? Not sure where to start with it.

BioHazard

holy poo Shattered Horizons is awesome, people should at least definitely enjoy the free weekend if not buy it. Although, as others have said, it runs like crap. I got it to run decent on pretty low settings.

Brak

BioHazard said:
holy poo Shattered Horizons is awesome, people should at least definitely enjoy the free weekend if not buy it. Although, as others have said, it runs like crap. I got it to run decent on pretty low settings.
Frankly the min spec for Shattered Horizons scared me right off.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Black ops is available for pre-order from D2D for $45 using coupon code 'bigsavings'.

Dascu

kurahadol said:
I decided to treat myself to the GTA pack since I never actually finished VC or even played San Andreas. Is there a list of suggested mods to go for with SA? Not sure where to start with it.
I'd like to know this as well.

Crazy to see all those people in L&G, too bad they didn`t turn on more dedicated servers for the weekend. Small recommendation to people, Greed is probably the best gametype in L&G, a bunch of others can lead to a brutal spawncamp. Demolition is also good, but that`s only on one map. You may not have the luxury of choosing, but keep it in mind if you do get a chance to choose.

Smash88

Banned
Both of these games are great. Thankfully there is a sale in both of them to boost the lackluster community. I wish these games would've flourished.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Smash88 said:
Both of these games are great. Thankfully there is a sale in both of them to boost the lackluster community. I wish these games would've flourished.
Eh, they've had their chance. Shattered Horizon has done something like 4 free weekends and can't get a foothold on the top 100 in Steam Stats. Its done. And after the weapon update, I'm not crying about it.

hamchan

poppabk said:
Black ops is available for pre-order from D2D for $45 using coupon code 'bigsavings'.

Well that sucks, I already preordered it for $60 at D2D and I can't find the cancel button.

epmode

hamchan said:
Well that sucks, I already preordered it for $60 at D2D and I can't find the cancel button.
Like most of these DD sites, you'll probably have to email D2D support to cancel a pre-order.

Is Steam cloud working fine for everyone ? Ive built a system for my brother, and i fired it up and got MW2 installed for "testing", yet the damn thing wont download my ranks etc from the cloud, and it wont even attempt to upload the new progress. Its enabled in the Properties bit, ive had no message coming up either about wether to download or use the data on my hard drive. What gives ? Can i force a sync somehow ? Deleted clientregistry.blob too and that did nothing.

Had a lot of fun on LaG tonight. I'm glad it's gotten the free weekend. Having all these players and servers to choose from is great. I hope it lasts!

Lothars

poppabk said:

I am tempted but I will pick up Fallout New Vegas with that since I've been reading about the mods and want to double dip on the PC copy anyway.

Recon

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What are you expecting here?

Just wondering if there is a program, idk lol, probably a dumb question. Ill just switch over to windows and get them from steam.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga is really tempting me. I loved the original DD and hated BD, but I wanted to believe Divinity 2 would be good... it sounds like this is basically Divinity 2, but actually polished and finished now. :-/

kurahadol said:

I'd like to know this as well. There's a mod out there that for SA that makes CJ into a Japanese school girl, and the cops into Pikachus. It also has giant robots. I wish I could find that mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom