• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Jintor said:
GafGifting thread right? Clear solution. :D
Oh, I know... but because some console games still sell for $70-$80 retail here, most people don't think twice about spending the same amount for a Steam game. If only people were more aware of the *actual* prices (ie. everywhere else in the world) then there'd be more people circumventing the shithouse pricing we have here.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Mr Nightman said:
Just pre load the game off of direct2drive, thats what I did. It just downloads all the install files, which you just click the setup exe like normal, and input your key during that setup process. You still have to wait for a key on tuesday, but at least you wont have to wait for it to download on release day :D

Well i'll be at work when it comes out anyway so i might as well just do it in the morning.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
G_Berry said:
Black ops is being sold at EB for like $120!!! Imagine if games were $120 in America, industry collapse ftw :lol
Most big games retail for US$ 150 here. Don't complain with your mouths full. :lol

MoFuzz said:
There's issues with both? I heard that was some big snafu with the GFWL implementation, but M&K doesn't work either?

It works but its pretty borked, you're going to want to play it with a controller.

Kritz

Banned
Also, I use Americans fairly often for gifting. (note that I have a lot of those high-priced games in my profile - kritz7)

But, really, it's total ass. It was always a problem with Activision games, but then 2k and Bethesda and Sega and fucking everyone else wanted to stick their thumbs in the regional pricing pie.

It just pisses me off that nothing will be done about it, and it will only get worse. Even if I 'vote with my (steam) wallet', there are a bunch of other morans who will buy that junk regardless of price.

AcridMeat

Banned
MNC said:
Do you like lunch?

Do you think you can make your own sandviches for one day?

Then do so, like that lunch instead, then use lunchmoney for poker night!

Late on responding to this I know but it isn't an issue of $5. :lol It's more the lack of knowledge of what it will be like. Whether there's some sort of storyline or if it's just poker with a set about amount of dialogue that will eventually be repeated.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Kritz said:
Also, I use Americans fairly often for gifting. (note that I have a lot of those high-priced games in my profile - kritz7)

But, really, it's total ass. It was always a problem with Activision games, but then 2k and Bethesda and Sega and fucking everyone else wanted to stick their thumbs in the regional pricing pie.

It just pisses me off that nothing will be done about it, and it will only get worse. Even if I 'vote with my (steam) wallet', there are a bunch of other morans who will buy that junk regardless of price.

I thought morans were only found in North America?

AcridMeat said:
0040062001287954296.gif

I just watched this episode.

deleted

I didn't follow the news regarding Black Ops Steam activation, so:
Is it true that I can't activate an importet version of the game on my german steam account? Heard a rumor about that.
I never had a problem when I activated the UK version of L4D or HL2, but this is Activision, so who knows?

xyla said:
Is it true that I can't activate an importet version of the game on my german steam account? Heard a rumor about that.
I never had a problem when I activated the UK version of L4D or HL2, but this is Activision, so who knows?
It's more a case of. This is Germany, so who knows. I think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
xyla said:
The safest option would probably be to have it gifted to you over Steam if you want to avoid the censored version.

deleted

Stallion Free said:
The safest option would probably be to have it gifted to you over Steam if you want to avoid the censored version.

Yep, I plan doing that when there's a Steam-Deal for the game.
Way to much to play at the moment and its not like the community is going anywhere.

So since the recent GTA deal I decided to reinstall San Andreas. I'm looking for a really basic, how-to-install guide for the ENB Series mod for SA. I've never been able to get it working but REALLY want to try it out. Anyone have any experience with this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DSN2K said:
has there been any reason put forward for why Black Ops unlock been put back 10 bloody hours >_<
It always moves around like that. Valve really should enforce a rolling midnight unlock through the time zones or something or even better, just have the game unlock for everyone at whatever time it is when it's midnight the day of in the earliest part of the world.

Leunam

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So since the recent GTA deal I decided to reinstall San Andreas. I'm looking for a really basic, how-to-install guide for the ENB Series mod for SA. I've never been able to get it working but REALLY want to try it out. Anyone have any experience with this?

There should be a readme file in the .zip. From what I remember, just extract all the files from the .zip into the folder and activate the mod in game.

Dynoro

Leunam said:
There should be a readme file in the .zip. From what I remember, just extract all the files from the .zip into the folder and activate the mod in game.
If I remember right you also need to be running v1.0 of the game (not the level Steam provides by default).

Dynoro said:
If I remember right you also need to be running v1.0 of the game (not the level Steam provides by default).

This could have been the issue if thats what is happening.

The readme always seemed simple enough but it just never worked. There's gotta be a Steam version work-around. I'll have to investigate further.

Leunam

Dynoro said:

I was running the ENBseries mod on 3.0 before getting the cracked .exe, I just couldn't run MTA.

Shaneus

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This could have been the issue if thats what is happening.

The readme always seemed simple enough but it just never worked. There's gotta be a Steam version work-around. I'll have to investigate further.
I've tried mucking around with the ENB series stuff for a while, managed to fluke it on Vice City with the Steam-based files. Hopefully just replacing the .exe with a NoCD like some have suggested works.

I've always wanted to get into SA, but was pretty late to the party and the graphics just completely turned me off.

Is there a mobile version of the steam site? The main site works but obviously is not formatted well for viewing on android/iPhone. It'd be nice if they made a mobile-friendly version or even better an app just so I could browse specials and make purchases on the go. I've missed out on deals before because I was away for a few days without PC access.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Is there a mobile version of the steam site? The main site works but obviously is not formatted well for viewing on android/iPhone. It'd be nice if they made a mobile-friendly version or even better an app just so I could browse specials and make purchases on the go. I've missed out on deals before because I was away for a few days without PC access.

What are you trying to do to me? I have kids to feed you know!

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Agreed. Although I've been purchasing deals on my cell for 2 years. I'm sick :(

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yeah . . . I'm not sure I want that. I think I already can make purchases with Android although I couldn't do a gift one since the scroll bar to select a gift recipient did not work.

Did Mac Steamers just get punked? Perhaps you could have got the GTA Trilogy for $7.50 if you bought it last weekend.

Grand Theft Auto Triology
by Rockstar Games
Platform: Windows Vista / XP, Mac OS X | Rated: Mature
Price: $39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
This item will be released on November 22, 2010.
Pre-order now!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004918C5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dr. Zoidberg said:

The site works perfectly fine on my iPod Touch. I bought Killing Floor and never played it.

speculawyer said:
Did Mac Steamers just get punked? Perhaps you could have got the GTA Trilogy for $7.50 if you bought it last weekend.

Grand Theft Auto Triology
by Rockstar Games
Platform: Windows Vista / XP, Mac OS X | Rated: Mature
Price: $39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
This item will be released on November 22, 2010.
Pre-order now!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004918C5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Rockstar Games doesn't care about Mac people.

There are hundreds of games that are already on Mac that haven't been updated for Steam Play. The companies are just lazy or don't care.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

There are hundreds of games that are already on Mac that haven't been updated for Steam Play. The companies are just lazy or don't care.
Or y'know they're busy?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

Or perhaps the investment of time and money wouldn't be worth it?

randomlyrossy said:
Or perhaps the investment of time and money wouldn't be worth it?
What investment? The game already exists for Mac. They just need to add it to the Mac Steam catalog. And Valve had shown stats that games with Steam Play were selling better than they used to.

Visualante said:
Or y'know they're busy?
Too busy to say "hey sell the Mac version too, Valve"?

Did you guys actually read my post or just assume what was written in it?

Did a different developer port the GTA's to the Mac? I'd assume that would cause some road bumps but if they did it themselves or the same company did both PC and Mac... let's get those bad boys over.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
These late ports are almost never done by the original company they get farmed out to companies like Aspyr that do shitty hack jobs. I know this because they also do late ports to PC that are shitty hack jobs.

I bought Just Cause 2 over at gogamer, and they take forever to even process an order. I don't know, I guess I've been so spoiled by Newegg and Amazon Prime.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
any good cheap JRPG's on steam?

Last Remenent is a bit pricey at $50US.

and I played finished and loved Recettear!

Syth_Blade22 said:
any good cheap JRPG's on steam?
Nope. IIRC, the only other Japanese RPGs are old Sega Genesis Mega Drive ports. I picked up The Last Remnant when it was 75% off, and I'm sure it'll go on sale again. Wait for the holidays.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
archnemesis said:
Nope. IIRC, the only other Japanese RPGs are old Sega Genesis Mega Drive ports. I picked up The Last Remnant when it was 75% off, and I'm sure it'll go on sale again. Wait for the holidays.

*gives you the nod*

Shaneus said:
I've tried mucking around with the ENB series stuff for a while, managed to fluke it on Vice City with the Steam-based files. Hopefully just replacing the .exe with a NoCD like some have suggested works.

I've always wanted to get into SA, but was pretty late to the party and the graphics just completely turned me off.

Yea, same here. Though I played it on PS2 I always wanted to try it with mods and stuff. BTW, just using a nocd exe didn't work. Oh well.

confused

Banned
What are the odds the launch of Black Ops killed the chances of a midweek sale ? Didn't something like that happen when the mappacks launched ?

Forkball

Well they will probably have a Black Friday sale in a few weeks, so maybe they are saving up all their deals until then. And then like a month later is Christmas. I think for our wallets sake, it's better that there's few sales until then.

toasty_T said:
The site works perfectly fine on my iPod Touch. I bought Killing Floor and never played it.

Yeah, it works on my Droid X too, that's not my point. I think a mobile specific site or app would be much easier to read and navigate without a lot of scrolling and zooming.

confused

Banned
Forkball said:
Well they will probably have a Black Friday sale in a few weeks, so maybe they are saving up all their deals until then. And then like a month later is Christmas. I think for our wallets sake, it's better that there's few sales until then.

A day without a Steam sale is like a day without breathing !

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yeah, it works on my Droid X too, that's not my point. I think a mobile specific site or app would be much easier to read and navigate without a lot of scrolling and zooming.

I agree, my shitty Non-android phone can't even open the frontpage without memory issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom