• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoFuzz

Joe Molotov said:
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. The second step is to decide that you're okay with having a problem, and then buy more Steam games.
Joe's right everyone. TF2 item whoring and Steam addiction are serious matters and we should support each other in whatever way possible. The threat of giving in to temptation is always looming, but we become stronger by sharing our first hand experiences so that we may all learn from one another. Who would like to start us off?

Lothars

MoFuzz said:
Joe's right everyone. TF2 item whoring and Steam addiction are serious matters and we should support each other in whatever way possible. The threat of giving in to temptation is always looming, but we become stronger by sharing our first hand experiences so that we may all learn from one another. Who would like to start us off?

I have a problem with Steam Addiction :p I buy way to many games on it.

Australia probably has the cheapest price for SupCom 2 since we pay the same price in US$ and our currency is worth a bit more atm.

So nyaaaaaa :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Moobabe said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damnit. I always hear you bitching about your videogame prices... Why?... In the one case where I count on it.. *sigh*

Shaneus

toasty_T said:
Australia probably has the cheapest price for SupCom 2 since we pay the same price in US$ and our currency is worth a bit more atm.

So nyaaaaaa :lol
Yes! So awesome. Don't think Paypal is reflecting the latest rate, though.

PS. We may get it cheaper, but at least "they" get the option of buying GTA.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shaneus said:

And we get the highest prices and no GTA pack? ... something something unfair

Moobabe

Shaneus said:

Just when I thought I'd hit rock bottom! I'm going to buy GTA just to spite you guys.

Shaneus

I already had it gifted to me from one of you suckers generous folk at a previous sale :D

FWIW, Paypal isn't *quite* at parity yet... it's sitting on 0.98USD. But it was at 0.97 yesterday so it shouldn't be too far off.

If anyone from the US wants me to gift them cheap stuff this weekend, let me know :lol

Manmedaz

RadicalRad said:
Hooray GTA pack. Just made my night!

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for this sale so that I can finally try San Andreas. Bought the whole set anyway so that I don't have to hook up the xbox to play to 3 and Vice City anymore.

Can you play with a 360 controller from the get-go?

Manmedaz said:
Wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for this sale so that I can finally try San Andreas. Bought the whole set anyway so that I don't have to hook up the xbox to play to 3 and Vice City anymore.

I'm hoping so! I just got my 360 controller receiver for my PC last night and played some Mafia 2 with it, worked great! (Driving with a keyboard sucks)

It's downloading pretty slow though, guess the server is getting pounded.

I caved in and bought Winter voices/Sega genesis pack/Trine only to be wooed again by the GTA pack.

They're already tempting me with that damned Shattered horizon/lead and gold deal.

So good...

Forkball

Damn, I was hoping GTA IV would go on sale. Although the deal is great for anyone who hasn't played the GTA III series, quality games.

Salsa

How much for the GTA pack ? i cant buy it from my region

and what games are included ?

edit: already checked on steamprices, i might get San Andreas..

edit2: thanks anyway Firehead :p

Sye d'Burns

toasty_T said:
We get no GTA for free. That's a pretty good price isn't it?

I'd give up SupCom 2 for GTA :(

I was thinking of picking up Supreme Commander 2 and the expansion. I'm not sure how much you said they were there, just cheaper than the US. We could maybe work out a bundle trade or something.

Manmedaz said:

There's no controller support.

Manmedaz said:

Not really, it's DirectInput so it won't recognize the triggers at all. You can map the other buttons and for the most part play without the triggers, but they're needed for the flying parts so you'll find yourself stuck there. I used a PS2 controller through a USB adapter.

Trent Strong said:
There's no controller support.
It supports DirectInput pads fine.

Sye d'Burns said:
I was thinking of picking up Supreme Commander 2 and the expansion. I'm not sure how much you said they were there, just cheaper than the US. We could maybe work out a bundle trade or something.

It would probably work out to a saving of around 10 cents. I was just poking fun at euro gaffers since we usually get ripped off :lol

Sye d'Burns

toasty_T said:
It would probably work out to a saving of around 10 cents. I was just poking fun at euro gaffers since we usually get ripped off :lol

Ahhh, I thought you were saying you wanted the GTA bundle and was just offering to help out as I was figuring I'd be spending the money one way or the other.

Can you mod this Steam version of San Andreas? Someone posted a pic of a modded version and it looked amazing. I'd like to double dip on this but only if I can play with the graphics update.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was hoping for the GTA3 series of games soon. I almost bought San Andreas on GFWL, but I saw they tried to rip me off by asking 10 NOK for 1 euro, when in reality it's more like 8. Not that I couldn't afford it, but this kind of business practice sickens me, so I give them the finger instead.

Thank you Steam, for being at least somewhat reasonable in their pricing (although I would still prefer to pay in dollars).

Sye d'Burns

opticalmace said:
Can you mod this Steam version of San Andreas? Someone posted a pic of a modded version and it looked amazing. I'd like to double dip on this but only if I can play with the graphics update.

From the last page

JADS said:
No, modding support was disabled after the whole hot coffee "mod". For some bizarre reason the steam version also doesn't support widescreen resolutions. The original retail version did. Both can be enabled again by:
1. Downloading a NOCD crack for version 1.0.
2. Overwrite your gta_sa steam version with it.
3. Have fun with mods and widescreen support.

Why doesn't the steam pack include GTA London 1969 and 1961? I know that they did poorly at retail, but GTA1 and 2 are free. So why not include both of them :D

Pandemic

Does anyone else find it annoying that STEAM updates games automatically, is it possible to disable this feature and to just do it manually?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Pandemic said:
Does anyone else find it annoying that STEAM updates games automatically, is it possible to disable this feature and to just do it manually?

Right click > Properties > Updates > Do not automatically update this game

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pandemic said:
Yes. Right click the game name, goto properties, and set to manual update. Have to do it with each game though.

Pandemic

Sweet, thanks for the quick responses.

Will it tell me about the new updates, or do I have to find out about the updates myself?

Aselith

Am I right in saying that SupCom 2 is far worse than the first? I tried the dmo on 360 and it seemed awful. Not on a control level but the game just seemed shitty. It seemed really confined compared to the first and the look and charcater design was bad. Granted I only played a tutorial level. Does it get far better and larger or is it as shit as I believe? Strategy masterpiece or another dumbed down failure?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Aselith said:
Am I right in saying that SupCom 2 is far worse than the first? I tried the dmo on 360 and it seemed awful. Not on a control level but the game just seemed shitty. Granted I only played a tutorial level. Does it get far better and larger or is it as shit as I believe?

It's the Deus Ex 2 of RTS.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aselith said:
Am I right in saying that SupCom 2 is far worse than the first? I tried the dmo on 360 and it seemed awful. Not on a control level but the game just seemed shitty. It seemed really confined compared to the first and the look and charcater design was bad. Granted I only played a tutorial level. Does it get far better and larger or is it as shit as I believe? Strategy masterpiece or another dumbed down failure?
It's far different. I like it but I'm primarily a tactical RTS player. So while I never bought Starcraft 2 I've put hundreds of hours into Dawn of War 2, Myth, and World and Conflict. I've put 40+ into SupCom 2 alone.

If we're equating scope to intelligence and SupCom 2 is considered a dumber version of SupCom 1 then SupCom 1 is just a retarded version of AI War.

Aselith

I'm not equating scope to intelligence exactly. I'm playing Dawn of War 2 at the moment actually and loving it. What I meant was they dumbed down the original vision that they had when they made SupCom in order to fit the game on a console. From the demo, it just seemed like they sacrificed a lot to make that happen and none of the changes were for the better. It didn't seem to be in any way tactical.

You are saying that they made it into a tactically rich experience though similarly to what Relic did for Dawn of War 2?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aselith said:
I'm not equating scope to intelligence exactly. I'm playing Dawn of War 2 at the moment actually and loving it. What I meant was they dumbed down the original vision that they had when they made SupCom in order to fit the game on a console. From the demo, it just seemed like they sacrificed a lot to make that happen and none of the changes were for the better. It didn't seem to be in any way tactical.

You are saying that they made it into a tactically rich experience though similarly to what Relic did for Dawn of War 2?
It doesn't have anywhere near as much micro as DoW2, but the faster pacing, smaller level size and more specialized unit roles naturally a greater emphasis on combat and tactics. It's basically a vicious knife fight. For example, experimentals are now siege and support units instead of game enders. Their abilities are more situational and require some planning and forethought when fielded. The new tech tree allows for even more specialization and tactical diversity, especially in the opening game. T1 units can be upgraded so they're not just useless cannon fodder in the end game. There are thousands of battle hardened vets online and a vicious new revamped AI for those who are concerned that they won't be challenged.

It feels sort of like a cross between TA and Warzone 2100 to me. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but a person could do a lot worse for a five spot.

MNC

uh

poker night at the inventory is singleplayer only

Why did I not know this :( Ah well it'll still be fun.

MNC said:
uh

poker night at the inventory is singleplayer only

Why did I not know this :( Ah well it'll still be fun.

Yeah, that is pretty much the point of the game, experience playing against weird video game characters, not against people who have weird video game characters as their avatar.

MNC

Yeah it's my own retarded fault; I solely bought it for the game characters and TF2 items, I didn't even pay attention to what it was about :p

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm thinking about the GTA pack. Would I like III/VC/SA if I absolutely loved GTA4? Mostly for the story and ambiance? I sunk something like 40 hours into GTA4 which I never typically do with a single player game. Would also be nice if I could enhance the visuals with mods. Otherwise I'll just wait for Black Friday steam sales. Decisions, decisions.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Moobabe said:
Just bought Shattered Horizon- I LOVE this game.
Great game that no one played. I'd own it already but I don't really want to get stuck with another online only title where I have to play at certain times or else no one is on. :lol

Moobabe

shintoki said:
Great game that no one played. I'd own it already but I don't really want to get stuck with another online only title where I have to play at certain times or else no one is on. :lol

Hopefully not everyone has that attitude otherwise it won't get any better!! There seemed to be pretty high interest among the people I played with to go on an purchase it but only time will tell.

According to steam stats lead & gold has twice the players of SH so far :( Come on people - PLAY SHATTERED HORIZON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom