• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Big Rig said:
I think that from this point on, it would be good practice to not buy anything that isn't on sale until the holiday sale begins.

Good advice, but I never buy anything on Steam that isn't on sale ever. Period. They have conditioned a large portion of their audience to scoff at any "normal" pricing no matter what time of year it is.

RJT

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Good advice, but I never buy anything on Steam that isn't on sale ever. Period. They have conditioned a large portion of their audience to scoff at any "normal" pricing no matter what time of year it is.
EA has pretty reasonable pricing for older games. I bought Mirror's Edge for 15€ and it wasn't on sale. But yeah, I wait for sales on 99% of the occasions...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Big Rig said:
I think that from this point on, it would be good practice to not buy anything that isn't on sale until the holiday sale begins.
Unless it is one of those titles that go on sale once every couple of years at best.

The Big Rig said:

Yeah, unless it's a Valve game I think most people wait. Well, the new CoD's as well. No chance of Black Ops and probably a slim chance of MW2 this year.

Salaadin

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Last year, I bought DA:O full price from Steam and I think it went on sale 2-3weeks later where I could have gotten the LE for less than what I paid for the SE. Ive learned my lesson since.

The next game Im going to buy full price from them is The Witcher 2 assuming that gets a Steam release at launch. Thatd probably be it for all of 2011.

confused

Banned
The Big Rig said:
But what about games like Vampire : bloodlines ? Only a fool would let that sale pass.

Besides you're trying to kill my addiction, bad move:D

Spwn

Valve sabotages Black Ops release with Day of Defeat: Source midweek madness. :D

DoD: Source -75% so it's 2.50€ in Europe.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I enjoyed Day of Defeat: Source almost as much as the original. I really should get back into it. Very few things are quite as delicious as a well balanced 12v12 on Flash or Avalanche.

ne1

Spwn said:
Valve sabotages Black Ops release with Day of Defeat: Source midweek madness. :D

DoD: Source -75% so it's 2.50€ in Europe.
That'll teach Activision! :lol
Though I surely would've bitten if I didn't already own it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
On a side note for everyone who hasnt checked it out yet. Even though the service is a bit lackluster in terms of games count there are some cheaper games on Amazon download.

Thread

Copypasta:

Sorry to interrupt the midweek madness ;) But I thought some of you might want to know.

confused

Banned
Toma said:
On a side note for everyone who hasnt checked it out yet. Even though the service is a bit lackluster in terms of games count there are some cheaper games on Amazon download.

Thread

Copypasta:

Sorry to interrupt the midweek madness ;) But I thought some of you might want to know.

Has no place in this thread. We all know retail can be cheaper. Also what's the DRM on these games ? Options for re-downloading ? International customers. The thread on the frontpage was enough.....

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Toma said:
Can I register those games on my Steam account and download through Valve servers?? Oh no? get the fuck out of here then.

There's a Digital Distribution thread on GAF. Paste those there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
confused said:
Has no place in this thread. We all know retail can be cheaper. Also what's the DRM on these games ? Options for re-downloading ? International customers. The thread on the frontpage was enough.....

huh retail? What are you talking about? Its the download version. Anyway I just thought this might be interesting to some that look for some decent cheaper games. Just dont comment on it if you dont like it, I'll never mention it again and you can rest in peace.

drizzle said:
Can I register those games on my Steam account and download through Valve servers?? Oh no? get the fuck out of here then.

Come on. I was checking the steam thread daily for cheap games and didnt check other digital distribution threads thats why I thought some might be interested. Just come down, dont comment and let it die off. Geez.

confused

Banned
Toma said:
huh retail? What are you talking about? Its the download version. Anyway I just thought this might be interesting to some that look for some decent cheaper games. Just dont comment on it if you dont like it, I'll never mention it again and you can rest in peace.

The title is "STEAM announcements and updates, you're just disrupting the thread. You're in the wrong here, not me ;)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
drizzle said:

Well, Football Manager 2011 is a Steamworks games.

epmode

drizzle said:
I would like to take this opportunity to publicly state that I do not, in fact, agree with this poster. I believe that this poster brings great shame upon the NeoGAF PC Master Race and I feel that this world would be a better place without post #4671. Thank you.

pirata

The sale for DoDS has got me thinking: is there any interest in having a GAF DoDS group on the online forum? I checked and can't find one, which is a bummer, because I would really like to play with my fellow Gaffers.

Well, personally, I don't buy non-Steam games because I have a disease, but
I don't see the harm in showing other services' prices. People post GG deals here sometimes. Either way, nothing to get bent out of shape about; it was just one post.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Schmattakopf said:
Well, personally, I don't buy non-Steam games because I have a disease, but
I don't see the harm in showing other services' prices. People post GG deals here sometimes. Either way, nothing to get bent out of shape about; it was just one post.
The point was that we have a general DD thread. If people were interested in other platforms deals, they would check there.

Toma

Drkirby said:
Well, Football Manager 2011 is a Steamworks games.

Btw I just tried whether non-americans can use the service. We can and so this essentially costs around 25€ due to Exchange rates instead of 49,99€

Stallion Free said:
The point was that we have a general DD thread. If people were interested in other platforms deals, they would check there.

Not everyone does. I AM interested in other deals and still only checked the Steam thread out of convenience. It doesnt hurt to look across the big steamy fence once in a while. And anyway, I restrict myself to Steamworks games if I ever post something like that again in this thread.

poppabk

Yeah this thread should stick to steam and steamworks games, but it isn't 'oh my god you ruined the thread' if someone posts something else.

poppabk

blackMamba1187 said:
Happy I didn't get crucified for posting about the FEAR 2 GFWL deal a couple weeks ago.
So you are admitting that you started this? ******, you can **** with ******* **** and **** Gabe in **** while ******* the whole ******* thread.

ZZMitch

Just picked up Day of Defeat: Source :lol

I mean it was only 2.50... i don't know when i'll play it since I just snagged Black Ops as well.

Oh, Steam.

So... for a guy that didn't enjoy (at all) Counter Strike: Source (or the original btw), but did enjoy TF2 and BF:BC2... would you recommend Day Of Defeat Source?

Never played the game and I'm curious...
I know it's cheap, but I'm tired of spending money in games that I won't play, so I need advice. Thanks :D

NIN90

DisenLedZep said:
So... for a guy that didn't enjoy (at all) Counter Strike: Source (or the original btw), but did enjoy TF2 and BF:BC2... would you recommend Day Of Defeat Source?

Never played the game and I'm curious...
I know it's cheap, but I'm tired of spending money in games that I won't play, so I need advice. Thanks :D

Not really.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
animlboogy said:
If the deals are really good, I appreciate getting the heads up. That Bad Company 2 price might interest a lot of people who normally only buy on Steam.

It's one post in a thread of thousands, and now it's getting way more attention because of people throwing ridiculous fits for someone going OT for the singular purpose of helping out some people who might be interested if they're reading this thread.

People really need to take a breath before posting. This forum has been pretty rough with this kind of stuff lately.
Bad Company 2 is 20$ on Steam. You save 4$. Exciting.

pirata said:
The sale for DoDS has got me thinking: is there any interest in having a GAF DoDS group on the online forum? I checked and can't find one, which is a bummer, because I would really like to play with my fellow Gaffers.
DoDS is shit play DoD if you want to play a fun game. Play DoDS if you want to die and respawn over and over again.

Toma

Stallion Free said:

Actually you save more depending where you are from.
Bad Company 2 still costs 49,99€ in the german store and 14,99$ is 11€ after exchange rates.
So WE actually save up to... 39€ because we cant use the american steam store but we CAN use the american amazon.com offers.
Is that enough money saving for you? And now pleaaaaase shut up about that or give me the money to buy everything on steam without the need to compare prices.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
poppabk said:
So you are admitting that you started this? Verily, you can deal with banana cake and poke Gabe in [the] arse while makeing (intentional spelling mistake!) the whole kittens! thread.

Oh god.

Anyway, aside from a possible Black Friday deal fest (What is this Black Friday you speak of, I am not very good with America :p), we'll have to wait until Christmas for the next set of epic Steam deals. Well, unless if Valve feel like it, and they do so from time to time.

Expect HL 2 for £.16pence on November 16th of course, that aisde, anything may happen.

Also, buy DoD: Source everyone. I bought it at launch, pre-ordered it even, and it was worth it then. For the price of the box of Cereal (!), it's a steal.

Technosteve said:
DoDS is shit play DoD if you want to play a fun game. Play DoDS if you want to die and respawn over and over again.
Technically, you should be playing DoD 3.1 if you want the best DoD experience. Shame that went with the advent of Steam.

poppabk said:
Yeah this thread should stick to steam and steamworks games, but it isn't 'oh my god you ruined the thread' if someone posts something else.

This but

animlboogy said:
If the deals are really good, I appreciate getting the heads up.

also this.

Telling him to GTFO was kind of slightly extreme.

Stallion Free said:
Exactly. I'd pay four dollars more to be able to download it at any time and so that I can't lose the disc.

That being said, I don't care if other DD deals are on here. Every time this thread is updated, its either some new game is on Steam or some game is on sale. I think we all can agree that we like saving money.

Toma

The Big Rig said:
Exactly. I'd pay four dollars more to be able to download it at any time and so that I can't lose the disc.

What the... Did you even read the original posts? You can download these games directly from amazon anytime you want. Without any restriction where or when to download. Its not about retail games but the Amazon Download offers.

zoku88 said:
Wait, are you sure? I thought there was a steamworks version and a non-steamworks version or something like that.

Its listed as Steamworks game there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles
but no idea how to find out whether there are two different versions..

Omikron

Picked up day of defeat... it was about time I did.

Only issue for it is that I bought both Football Manager 2011 and Fallout New Vegas last night. :lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Stallion Free said:
I enjoyed Day of Defeat: Source almost as much as the original. I really should get back into it. Very few things are quite as delicious as a well balanced 12v12 on Flash or Avalanche.

Uh...
<-- Click link

I love me some DoD. Never got into HLDM, TFC, CS. DoD was where it was for me. The ONLY thing i don't like about DoD:S is they reduced the kar 98k's damage to like 98 instead of 100 if you hit the right spot. So you hit a guy and he still kills you because he has 2 health and mows you down.

Toma said:
What the... Did you even read the original posts? You can download these games directly from amazon anytime you want. Without any restriction where or when to download. Its not about retail games but the Amazon Download offers.

Its listed as Steamworks game there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles
but no idea how to find out whether there are two different versions..
I'm not sure it would be a Steam game if you had to download it from another service. If it is, I'll shut up and then buy it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zombieshavebrains said:

Uh...
<-- Click link

I love me some DoD. Never got into HLDM, TFC, CS. DoD was where it was for me. The ONLY thing i don't like about DoD:S is they reduced the kar 98k's damage to like 98 instead of 100 if you hit the right spot. So you hit a guy and he still kills you because he has 2 health and mows you down.
Well-balanced teams? You have never encountered well balanced teams on that map? I don't give a shit about the overall stats, when you are in a good match in that map, it's a ton of fun.

Toma

The Big Rig said:
I'm not sure it would be a Steam game if you had to download it from another service. If it is, I'll shut up and then buy it.

And that is the big question. I tried it for Mount and Blade which gave me a Code I couldnt use in Steam (It was xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and should have been xxxxx-xxxxx...etc) . However that might be different for Steamworks games AND I dont know whether all games give out different code forms on different distribution channels.

I have no idea how this is generally being handled. I tried it once and it didnt work. Guess we only find out if someone tries for another game (or if someone knows more about that than I do)
And I am really glad that at least SOME of you realize I am looking into that whole affair to report back to GAF. Otherwise I wouldnt even have tried and never would have bought the first game today. But now atleast I know I really should keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom