• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Toma said:
And that is the big question. I tried it for Mount and Blade which gave me a Code I couldnt use in Steam (It was xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and should have been xxxxx-xxxxx...etc) . However that might be different for Steamworks games AND I dont know whether all games give out different code forms on different distribution channels.

All SteamWorks games (Civilization, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops) are registrable no Steam. You require to have steam for these games, doesn't matter where you buy them.

Games that don't use SteamWorks, only a couple are registrable on Steam, and there's a list somewhere on the steam website.

ZZMitch

Day of Defeat is pretty great. I am enjoying it almost as much as I have enjoyed Black Ops so far :lol

I love the look of Source games for some reason.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ZZMitch said:
Day of Defeat is pretty great. I am enjoying it almost as much as I have enjoyed Black Ops so far :lol

I love the look of Source games for some reason.
Yeah, I was always a sucker for the phong shaded helmet.

coopolon

zombieshavebrains said:

Uh...
<-- Click link

I love me some DoD. Never got into HLDM, TFC, CS. DoD was where it was for me. The ONLY thing i don't like about DoD:S is they reduced the kar 98k's damage to like 98 instead of 100 if you hit the right spot. So you hit a guy and he still kills you because he has 2 health and mows you down.

DoD was my college game. By that time people were too good at CS we couldn't really have fun with it, but we LOVED DoD. Source towards the end, but we never liked it as much. But that was largely in part because it was pretty crappy on release performance wise, which I'm sure has been fixed since.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My gawd, there's already new Front Mission Evolved DLC. :lol

First it's $3.99 for new Mechs, and now it's $2.99 for three new weapons.

so i just tried to repair steam be installing the client again. All in an effort to play black ops but now steam will not update and the forums are really slow is somehting up?

Also i deleted the client registry file...did this effect anything?

I just noticed that you get *5* TF2 items if you buy Poker Night at the Inventory. What kind of TF2 player would not buy that?

And you get a free poker game!

Instro

speculawyer said:
I just noticed that you get *5* TF2 items if you buy Poker Night at the Inventory. What kind of TF2 player would not buy that?

And you get a free poker game!

Well technically you have to win the items before you get them I think.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
K.Jack said:

When is the DLC for balance and interesting mechanics coming out?

epmode

K.Jack said:

I can't wait to see SquareEnix rape Deus Ex. Western gamers love DLC!

ArjanN

K.Jack said:

Isn't that just pre-order bonus stuff made DLC after release? That's pretty common nowadays.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ArjanN said:
Isn't that just pre-order bonus stuff made DLC after release? That's pretty common nowadays.
Nope, it's all brand new gear. The pre-order bonus was just two medium Wanzers, with no weapons.

It's strange that they're selling these heavy weapons, when some stupidly powerful machine guns and shotguns were given up for free last week.

But I do love my bazooka.... damn, I'm part of the problem.

Aselith

Spwn said:
B-bu-bu-but Steam is so great. :( What do they want? UbiDRM?

It's just retail being scared of the future like always. All these retail stores drastically cut back their PC retail space anyways. If they ban PC games from their shelves, what exactly will be lost? They pretty much banned them already. Walmart has a bigger PC display than Gamestop for godsake. Fuck em.

Steeven

Allright guys I need your advice. I love me some Day of Defeat. In the good 'ol days I would play that sucker next to Counter-Strike. I was actually pretty good and I digged the maps. Later on some of the best maps disappeared, does anyone know why? I remember it had something to do with DoD going from mod to a official product and mappers didn't agree on having their maps into that product or something? One map I really miss was the one with a bridge and a river in the middle. People would swim in it and slap you with their knifes and what not. Then there were the snipers, the MG's; it was crazy. And awesome. But last time I played the original DoD that map - with several others - was removed.

Another point:. Aside from these maps I heard that DoD: S has balance issues? Is that correct? Call me a little bitch because of 2,50 but I want to make the Steam madness stop, as in I don't want to buy anymore games I'm not going to play.

benjipwns

Banned
There were maps for DoD that weren't "bought" and just stayed as third party ones, you could find them regularly to play though back when the game was bigger but people slowly drifted back to the same ol Avalanche/Flash/Donner/Kalt/etc. rotation. Half the official maps were even hard to find regularly in 2005-2006ish when DoD:S came out. There were tons of maps with bridges and rivers so it's not that specific.

I played gobs of the DoD (from alphas forward), but I've mostly stayed on DoD:S for any DoD fix for years now because I sorta prefer the class diversity and Support in particular. There are plenty of quirks and changes compared to DoD, for most of the time the rifles were not as effective as in the old game, now they're closer but it still doesn't play the same. If you want a DoD-like experience that has some changes and better graphics for $2.50, I'd say go ahead. The only real balance issues I've seen is that you have to know the optimal range of your class and the maps to best put yourself in place for encounters. (And the Axis/Allies Rocket sidearm will always be off completely in my opinion.)

Although things have slowed down quite a bit since TF2 and L4D have came out. It's harder than it used to be to find good rotations with people who can play in organized and rational manners. Hopefully Valve can convince some more people in for the next couple weeks, looking at the Steam Stats looks like a lot more people are at least giving it a try from the sale.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
benjipwns said:
There were maps for DoD that weren't "bought" and just stayed as third party ones, you could find them regularly to play though back when the game was bigger but people slowly drifted back to the same ol Avalanche/Flash/Donner/Kalt/etc. rotation. Half the official maps were even hard to find regularly in 2005-2006ish when DoD:S came out. There were tons of maps with bridges and rivers so it's not that specific.

I played gobs of the DoD (from alphas forward), but I've mostly stayed on DoD:S for any DoD fix for years now because I sorta prefer the class diversity and Support in particular. There are plenty of quirks and changes compared to DoD, for most of the time the rifles were not as effective as in the old game, now they're closer but it still doesn't play the same. If you want a DoD-like experience that has some changes and better graphics for $2.50, I'd say go ahead. The only real balance issues I've seen is that you have to know the optimal range of your class and the maps to best put yourself in place for encounters. (And the Axis/Allies Rocket sidearm will always be off completely in my opinion.)

Although things have slowed down quite a bit since TF2 and L4D have came out. It's harder than it used to be to find good rotations with people who can play in organized and rational manners. Hopefully Valve can convince some more people in for the next couple weeks, looking at the Steam Stats looks like a lot more people are at least giving it a try from the sale.

One map that comes to mind is Caen 2.

Remy

From the Secret Exit newsletter:

ZEN BOUND 2 COMING TO MAC AND PC!

November 16th is an important date for us at Secret Exit - the launch of Zen Bound 2 on Steam!

Taking advantage of the greater graphical capabilities of desktop computers, Zen Bound 2 on Mac and PC is the most beautiful version of the game with improved lighting and shadows, sharper visuals and fancy rope shaders. Playing Zen Bound 2 in HD resolutions is an exhilarating moment of clarity and awe - well worth the humble price of admission (4.99 USD).

If you are a Mac user, the game also supports multi-touch controls with Multi-Touch trackpads and Magic Trackpads. The touch surface of the Magic Mouse is also a nice way to control the game.

Game was pretty good on iOS so this should be fun.

Oh and there's a Steam community for it already.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to start Steam in offline mode other than telling it to do so and restarting? I'm compiling a L4D level on my laptop (which is signed in online) and I'd like to play some Metro 2033 on my desktop (not signed in at all). If I try to start Steam on the desktop it obviously tells me that I'm logged in somewhere else and I can't get on without bumping the other account, but it also doesn't give an option to start Steam in offline mode.

I mean, it would make perfect sense if they didn't allow me to just toggle into offline mode while another computer is logged on in my name; I'm just wondering if it's possible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you are willing to take a chance, and are to cheap to pay $5, you can get a free (and giftable if you have it already) copy of VVVVVV on steam for bidding on some VVVVVV theme socks. The auction has 7 days left, but its already at $465, so it a bit of a risk to do at this point, since you could manage to get screwed over paying $500 for socks.

Blog post:
http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=1501

Ebay link to socks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491205217

You could also bid on the socks if you want to donate a large sum of money to Child's Play by proxy.

I do fear the final bidder won't pay up though.

eznark

Banned
Diablohead said:
£20 for F1? so tempted but also worried that at the end of the F1 season next week along with Christmas sales...might hit 50% off.

I'm pretty much holding off on all Steam purchases for the next 6 weeks.

Announcing the free game for bidding was dumb as hell. He should have made it a surprise at the end.

We're definitely headed toward a situation where someone won't pony up the cash.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Drkirby said:
If you are willing to take a chance, and are to cheap to pay $5, you can get a free (and giftable if you have it already) copy of VVVVVV on steam for bidding on some VVVVVV theme socks. The auction has 7 days left, but its already at $465, so it a bit of a risk to do at this point, since you could manage to get screwed over paying $500 for socks.

Blog post:
http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=1501

Ebay link to socks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491205217

You could also bid on the socks if you want to donate a large sum of money to Child's Play by proxy.

I do fear the final bidder won't pay up though.
It's up to $740. I really hope the bidders aren't trolling it. After all, it IS for charity.

Anyway, F1 2010 is worth £20, even if it is slightly more than I paid for it (Thanks shopto!). The recent patch helps with Nvidia performance issues and while it still does need a 2nd patch, if you play with decent people online it is a fantastic racer.

AcridMeat

Banned
Stop It said:
Anyway, F1 2010 is worth £20, even if it is slightly more than I paid for it (Thanks shopto!). The recent patch helps with Nvidia performance issues and while it still does need a 2nd patch, if you play with decent people online it is a fantastic racer.

You forgot to mention the most recent patch made the career playable. :D

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
£20 for F1? so tempted but also worried that at the end of the F1 season next week along with Christmas sales...might hit 50% off.

I wouldn't even be surprised by 75 percent. Codemasters tends to have great racing deals during those sales.

The question becomes: do you want to wait for the possibility of saving an extra 10 dollars? It's worth something to play it now.

I have a kind of love-hate affair with the game. But it is fantastic racing with the gaf guys. And I've logged 57 hours. I've definitely gotten my money's worth even at launch price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom