• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see whoever wins the socks actually paying. Anyone at the top is probably refreshing constantly waiting for another bid to come in. Sounds like a good intention gone wrong.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, he is likely going to have to do down the list of people on the top to see if any of them will pay what they bid. But maybe he will get lucky and someone will honestly want to make a large donation to Child's Play and get a cool pair of socks.

Salaadin

vermadas said:
Risen is on sale for $14.99

Been waiting for a long time for a sale on this game. Today I'm getting caught up in the hype for Two Worlds 2 and I'm considering giving Risen a skip now :lol

Shit.

Is Risen good? I played the demo and was so-so on the combat but does everything else make up for it? Is it open world or linear? Does it perform well on decent rigs?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
F1 2010 plays fine with a pad.

I would be all over Risen if it didn't have that 3 activation limit. I have only heard incredible things about it.

graywolf323

Drkirby said:
Yeah, he is likely going to have to do down the list of people on the top to see if any of them will pay what they bid. But maybe he will get lucky and someone will honestly want to make a large donation to Child's Play and get a cool pair of socks.

he might have to go pretty far, none of the other pairs of socks are going for more than $30 and this one is almost at $1,500 now o_O

Polk

TouchMyBox said:
I would so be all over this if it weren't for the DRM. :(
Yeah, such drms on Steam games are stupid (at least older games).
I'm wondering if this version can be used with mini image.

CeePhour

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I would so be all over this if it weren't for the DRM. :(

I'd love if there was a way for us users to send a message to the developer/publisher our intent to buy but unwillingness to follow through with a purchase due to DRM. Like a button on Steam's page for said game or something.

Salaadin

Stallion Free said:
F1 2010 plays fine with a pad.

I would be all over Risen if it didn't have that 3 activation limit. I have only heard incredible things about it.

3 activation limit? Yikes. Thanks for posting that

Bebpo

Banned
Kerrinck said:
About the DRM, it seems like they give 1 activation back every 45 days http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17035182&postcount=1
Still crappy though.

That's actually not that bad.

I'd be ok with a drm that had 3-5 activations and automatically gave you 1 back every 2 months. Then chances you would actually get screwed and run out are pretty minimal with a setup like that.

Just it needs to be automatic so you don't have to contact anyone and deal with customer support just to get it back.

burgerdog

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit's release date is Tuesday and it's still not listed on steam. Should I just forget about wanting to buy this game on steam?

Nabs

burgerdog said:
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit's release date is Tuesday and it's still not listed on steam. Should I just forget about wanting to buy this game on steam?
wait for it to come out. ea's trying to get you to preorder it on their site. don't let them win.

thefil

I grabbed Risen on the coattails of Two Worlds II hype. Been wanting it to go on sale for a long time. Now it gives me something to play until New Vegas GOTY version comes out and goals on sale, which I can then play until Two Worlds II goes on sale... the circle of Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You know what, I don't mind it so long as I get the activations back after a certain amount of time so I think I will buy it soon. So long as it doesn't turn into Crysis (not Warhead) where the only way to get back activations is customer support, it's fine. I do hate the de-authorization shit though. I infinitely prefer it to reset the count every so often..

epmode

Risen is quality, GAF. No hype at all but it's a great game. On PC. Not sure about the console releases.
Nabs said:
wait for it to come out. ea's trying to get you to preorder it on their site. don't let them win.
There's always a chance that it won't show up on Steam at all. EA is flaky with their Steam support.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Risen is awesome if you like beautiful, open-ended RPGs that are fun! It was one of my favorite games from last year.

markot

Banned
Weird cause it was denied a rating in Australia >.>!

Just bought it from Gamersgate last week for like double the price cause it was 'on sale' and it wasnt up on steam... I am annoyed.

pilonv1

Awesome it's on the Australian store, no need for gifting. Sorry F1, you'll have to wait until the Xmas sale.

And I've just bought Two Worlds 2 as well. And I haven't finished Fallout NV or Fable 3. Going to be a busy time for me :(

Dennis

Banned
RISEN -50%

For the love of god, everyone buy this!

Risen was the 2009 RPG GOTY.

So great, so great.....

Open world, exploration, great graphics especially the lighting.

And its hard! Old-school RPG hard. The world is truly dangerous.

1-D_FTW

TheExodu5 said:
Sadly, I hear the game runs like shit.

I missed this earlier. I wouldn't say that. I would say DX9 leaves a lot to be desired. Once they released the patch and enabled DX 11, it made a huge difference. Before my CPU and GPU were both running at absurdly low utilization rates. With the patch my GTX 460 is running close to 99 percent load. It's also very CPU clockrate dependent. A single core is allocated to rendering and to max out a 460, it has to be clocked in the 3.2-3.3Ghz range. I haven't run fraps lately, but with the patch and overclock to my quad core, I bet I'm getting close to a locked 60fps with things maxed (and that's leaving superfluous things like flags set to ultra).

EDIT: Just to be clear DX 9 still sucks for me post patch. And I had to set to Vista SP3 compatibility mode (Win 7) to keep DX 11 from crashing during loads. But, yeah, when everything is aligned... it's moderately acceptable.

SECOND EDIT: :lol And like that, the game was back to having gremlins the last time I played time trials on it. Loaded fraps and I was going from 45 to 60fps. And my GPU wasn't even remotely being pushed. CPU never broke 56 percent and GPU was stuck in the low 50s most of the time (with drops into the 30s and occassional spikes into the 60s).

coopolon

Would totally bite on Risen if it weren't for the awful awful DRM policy. Pretty sure the retail release is just CD check though. I'll be waiting till that goes on sale or the Steam version is <$10, there's too many good RPGs out there to reward dumb shit like this.

hamchan

DennisK4 said:
RISEN -50%

For the love of god, everyone buy this!

Risen was the 2009 RPG GOTY.

So great, so great.....

Open world, exploration, great graphics especially the lighting.

And its hard! Old-school RPG hard. The world is truly dangerous.

Sure why not, I'll buy it. Here, take my money steam.

Thanks Dennis!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lyphen said:
Shocked to see people jumping on Risen despite:

You can revoke these things people, so much hysteria over nonsensical crap.

Risen is amazing. A M A Z I N G. Go buy the fuck out of it.

As for the DRM?

riker-beard-star-trek4nf1.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Joe Molotov said:
On the Steam forums, people are saying that it regenerates one activation every 45 days.

I'm not happy but i'm ok with this type of drm, my only concern is if the drm provider goes out of business or quits providing activations.

Shaneus

Definitely going to have to get pulled... it still has 7 days to go :lol

PS. Will they have a fucking sale on Dead Rising 2 already? I hate holding out for it :(

Yay Risen! Played it on the 360 when it came out as i didn't have a gaming rig then. Perfectly happy to double dip on this one.

Any word on what kind of deals will be coming during the black-friday craze?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Shaneus said:
Definitely going to have to get pulled... it still has 7 days to go :lol

PS. Will they have a fucking sale on Dead Rising 2 already? I hate holding out for it :(

Uh it's only been out for a month and change. It might get a minor discount during the holiday sale but I wouldn't hold my breath.

coopolon

Sinatar said:
You can revoke these things people, so much hysteria over nonsensical crap.

Risen is amazing. A M A Z I N G. Go buy the fuck out of it.

As for the DRM?

You can't revoke anything. If I had control over it like with the EA DRM I'd be less against it (although I'd still dislike it and pay less for it.) You have to rely on some company you have no contact with to give you permission to install it. And is it anywhere in the EULA that they give you back one activation every 45 days? Because if it's not, they're probably under no obligation to do so. It's fine that you don't care, but I don't think it's nonsensical that others of us do.

Plus, the non-steam version is actually superior in this regard because it only requires a cd check (edit: which I believe is still TAGES which is also highly unfortunate for those of us who don't like installing shit drivers we don't need on our computers, but still better than online verification) which is easily circumvented. I'd pay for more for that, but 3-activation limit? That shit's like a $5 rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom