• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

I caved in and bought Risen anyways. The world is cool and nice to look at but the combat is infuriating. Maybe it gets better once I upgrade and learn new skills but right now it just so frustrating.

The mechanics behind it seem simple enough. Attack. Block. Dodge. Its just that when you actually try fighting something, it all goes to shit. I cant get more than a 2 hit combo on anyone because they always interrupt me by blocking or attacking on their own. But then any enemies in the game are able to walk up to me and wail on me and I cant interrupt them for anything. Some enemies basic attacks are unblockable so I try dodging but the very loose lock on system doesnt make you dodge around the enemy...you just move directly left or directly right and have to pan the camera yourself to see where the enemy went.

I like the game but I feel like I just want to explore but not have to kill anything because then it pisses me off

garath

How many machines do you people expect to install this on? I understand. The DRM sucks. I agree wholeheartedly. But $15? I spend more on a night at the movies. I'll install it, play through some of it. Maybe some time in the future uninstall it. Then maybe way in the future again install it once more out of nostalgia then forget it forever. And with the time based activation count increase, I'm fully in the "who cares" camp right now.

For someone who isn't going to buy the game because of the DRM, I'm very curious why you think it is going to prevent you from playing the game the way you want. If it's just an ethical reason then so be it, just don't criticize others for not sharing the same need to protest.

Well I won´t budge on my principles against DRM just because the 50% discount. I would rather buy it for full price if it would come without DRM. If I accept one game with TAGES/Securom just because a discount, I might as well buy them all. One major selling point with Steam for me is that I want to get away from having different DRM schemes for different games, that installs all kind of drivers and hidden files on my computer.

With Steam I expect to only have to install the client and run the games from that, and as a compensation I get away from hidden things messing up my computer, activation limits, having to depend on additional servers staying up and/or disc checks.

And since only about 40 games of the 1200+ games on Steam have additional DRM, it´s easy to choose.

So people need to understand that it´s more to it than just how easy/hard it is to revoke activations.

coopolon

garath said:
How many machines do you people expect to install this on? I understand. The DRM sucks. I agree wholeheartedly. But $15? I spend more on a night at the movies. I'll install it, play through some of it. Maybe some time in the future uninstall it. Then maybe way in the future again install it once more out of nostalgia then forget it forever. And with the time based activation count increase, I'm fully in the "who cares" camp right now.

For someone who isn't going to buy the game because of the DRM, I'm very curious why you think it is going to prevent you from playing the game the way you want. If it's just an ethical reason then so be it, just don't criticize others for not sharing the same need to protest.

I think everyone should pay based on what they care about. I'm happy for you guys who don't care about DRM and hope you enjoy the game. But I take issue with my concerns about DRM being called "nonsensical", I think they make a great deal of sense which is why I replied to him.

For me it's a value proposition (edit: if I had already played through every other amazing WRPG already on the market right now and was desperate for a good game, I'd probably even pay this price for DRMed Risen. But fortunately I've got way more games to play than I ever will have time to do, so I don't feel inclined to pay even this price to support terrible DRM). I'll pay for a license for a game with TAGES limits, I am currently paying for a license for Riddick on Steam. And big WRPGs like this one, if I get into them a lot, I could easily find myself running into the activation limit. I've probably installed Baldur's Gate 2 on more than 15 machines in the last ten years. If they stick to the 45 day renewal thing, it probably would never be a real problem, but I have no reason to expect they will 5 to 10 years from now.

I'm glad to see Steam is at least being honest about the TAGES now, when the game launched they didn't publicize the fact that it had 3rd party DRM.

stuminus3

The weird thing about Steam games with additional DRM is that it's sometimes not consistent with other services. For example Two Worlds, costs $19.99 for the Epic edition on Steam, and has some proprietary DRM as well as the regular Steam DRM. It costs $9.99 on GOG for the same game (with an extra expansion pack not included in the Steam release, I believe), and has *no* DRM whatsoever. I mean, what's the point in this?

With that being said, I already owned Risen, it's so much better than Gothic III.

stuminus3 said:
The weird thing about Steam games with additional DRM is that it's sometimes not consistent with other services. For example Two Worlds, costs $19.99 for the Epic edition on Steam, and has some proprietary DRM as well as the regular Steam DRM. It costs $9.99 on GOG for the same game (with an extra expansion pack not included in the Steam release, I believe), and has *no* DRM whatsoever. I mean, what's the point in this?

With that being said, I already owned Risen, it's so much better than Gothic III.
2 worlds isn't on Steam, is it?

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you meant Two Worlds: 2

Ledsen

DennisK4 said:
Fuck yeah! Risen is the second best seller behind Black Ops.

Buy it, play it and next year get Risen 2.

Since that list is sorted by revenue that should mean Risen is selling a shitload of copies.

coopolon

garath said:

Interestingly enough, the TAGES DRM is preventing anyone who buys the game on Steam right now from playing Risen because Steam ran out of cd keys. A friend of mine actually gifted the game to me, and I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about but I can't now. I'm hoping they get it fixed sometime this weekend but I don't realistically expect it till next week.

Assuming the people running these sales aren't complete morons (which I don't think they are), this means this game sold WAY better than they expected it to, which is also very interesting. Now they might start losing sales because some (probably not many) consumers will see they can't actually play the game they are paying money for.

Blizzard

Banned
coopolon said:
Interestingly enough, the TAGES DRM is preventing anyone who buys the game on Steam right now from playing Risen because Steam ran out of cd keys. A friend of mine actually gifted the game to me, and I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about but I can't now. I'm hoping they get it fixed sometime this weekend but I don't realistically expect it till next week.

Assuming the people running these sales aren't complete morons (which I don't think they are), this means this game sold WAY better than they expected it to, which is also very interesting. Now they might start losing sales because some (probably not many) consumers will see they can't actually play the game they are paying money for.
Steam has run out of CD keys on several games during sales before, if I'm not mistaken. FUEL was the last one where I think it happened to me. I don't know that any of them used TAGES -- games just have licenses or CD keys in general, and some companies have some sort of limited scheme where Steam runs out for a few days because of a sale.

TheExodu5

Banned
SUCCESS!!!

The no-cd crack works, and I can play without the activation. Sadly, I have to start the game straight from the exe, so no Steam integration for the time being, but at least I get to play. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TheExodu5 said:
SUCCESS!!!

The no-cd crack works, and I can play without the activation. Sadly, I have to start the game straight from the exe, so no Steam integration for the time being, but at least I get to play. :D

What if you add the .exe as a non steam game for integration. :lol

coopolon

Blizzard said:
Steam has run out of CD keys on several games during sales before, if I'm not mistaken. FUEL was the last one where I think it happened to me. I don't know that any of them used TAGES -- games just have licenses or CD keys in general, and some companies have some sort of limited scheme where Steam runs out for a few days because of a sale.

Any CD key is a 3rd party DRM. Not all games on Steam require CD keys, and those that don't would never have this problem to my knowledge. Is this incorrect?

Cool about the .exe crack though, thanks for finding that! I can still play this weekend.

Blizzard

Banned
coopolon said:
Any CD key is a 3rd party DRM. Not all games on Steam require CD keys, and those that don't would never have this problem to my knowledge. Is this incorrect?

Cool about the .exe crack though, thanks for finding that! I can still play this weekend.
That may well be true. I have no idea how the licensing works for Steam vs. non-Steam games internally. I'm guessing it's easier for companies that make retail versions of their games to keep a license associated with each one, but I dunno. Less DRM is good in my opinion, but unrealistic past a certain point. I'd welcome plain CD keys vs. 3-5 installation limits, for instance.

Has anyone had problems with steam not running? It ran just fine a few days ago and now everytime I try to run it I get a

"there was a problem with your steam installation, Please reinstall steam"

I already uninstalled it and re-installed it and still have the same problem :/

JADS

Metalmurphy said:
Has anyone had problems with steam not running? It ran just fine a few days ago and now everytime I try to run it I get a

"there was a problem with your steam installation, Please reinstall steam"

I already uninstalled it and re-installed it and still have the same problem :/

Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder yet? I am not 100% sure if that is deleted if you reinstall steam.

JADS said:
Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder yet? I am not 100% sure if that is deleted if you reinstall steam.

I deleted the entire folder (except Steamapps) and it still didn't work. Really weird. I didn't change anything on my PC.

Chrysalis

Any thoughts on the writing in Risen? I know it's more oblivion than DA, but are the quests interesting? Any decent overriding plot?

Downloaded but can't play Risen. They've run out of Keys. I like Steam but really, you should only pay for a product once you have ALL of it, key included. Otherwise it's virtually theft!
Ahh, bollocks...

coopolon

Slackbladder said:
Downloaded but can't play Risen. They've run out of Keys. I like Steam but really, you should only pay for a product once you have ALL of it, key included. Otherwise it's virtually theft!

They're out of CD keys for the game. We'll have to wait until more are issued. Meanwhile Steam has our money.

As was pointed out earlier by Exodu5, you can actually still play it. Download it, and then go to the usual places to find a no-cd crack that will allow you to play the game. The one I found was actually a dll that replaces one of the ones in the game folders, works perfectly.

I really should learn more about how Steam integration works. Is this a way to get around the activation limits that this and Riddick come with? And it's also nice because you can run the game without the Steam client. Very cool stuff.

Of course it's absurd you have to do this to be able to play a game you bought a license for, but it's better than not playing it if you've already dropped the $15.

Edit: Also, according to this thread on the Steam forums, there's actually no evidence whatsoever that you get a license back every 45 days for Risen. In addition, there are numerous people who have posted on the Steam forum saying they've run out of activations and been unable to play the game since and are still waiting to hear back from Tages/DeepSilver.

Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary? Until it's provided, I would suggest everyone who buys this license for $15 only ever plan on installing this game 3 times. Although in Deepsilver's defense, they have released patched that removed the DRM for older games in the past, hopefully they'll eventually get around to doing that with Steam Risen as well (it's already happened with the retail release.)

JADS

Metalmurphy said:
I deleted the entire folder (except Steamapps) and it still didn't work. Really weird. I didn't change anything on my PC.

Hmmm, deleting clientregistery.blob is usually the fix for 90% of all steam related problems. Are you absolutely positive that you haven't installed something like a windows update? I am just shooting blanks here, but have you tried this yet?

zugzug

This is funny going on past history....If any other game/company ran out of steam CD keys you can expect it to be fixed perhaps soon. Howeva......if it happened to Rise as in past history expect to wait 6 months until steam gets more keys for it. :p Irregardless of continued weeekend sale.

coopolon

Huh, somehow I changed my Steam language to Dutch. Not sure where I did that or how to fix it...

Edit: Nevermind, in the drop down menu on the homepage. I guess its good it's so easily accessible, but being so accessible also means it might get switched accidentally quite easily as well.

Toys R Us Black Friday:

$25
-Wireless 360 Headset

-----------------

I highly recommend this to PC gamers for use with online PC games (Team Fortress 2). You need the wireless dongle thing though. But I also highly recommend the dongle & wireless xbox controller for use with PC games that are best with a controller.

I think its ridiculous that steam has barely acknowledged the problem with the Risen keys. All we got is this:

Popular sale is popular!

We're working on getting more keys. Sorry folks!

That was Friday night. No further updates since. Ugh, I love steam but putting DRM on a product that you already have to be logged onto steam to use is just ridiculous. (I know not necessarily steam's call) I really hope this is fixed soon, as we don't know when it will be resolved as steam has not informed any of their paying customers besides "lolz, sorry"

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RadicalRad said:
That was Friday night. No further updates since. Ugh, I love steam but putting DRM on a product that you already have to be logged onto steam to use is just ridiculous. (I know not necessarily steam's call) I really hope this is fixed soon, as we don't know when it will be resolved as steam has not informed any of their paying customers besides "lolz, sorry"
Every time there's a popular sale, the exact same things happens and the exact same points you brought up are brought up by people that don't know any better.

Saturday and Sunday are not work days for most companies. Steam usually doesn't respond to support tickets on weekends. Probably the people that provide Risen keys to Steam are not working either. Wait until monday and your key will be delivered to you.

It works like that EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekend sale sells a lot, keys run out, new keys don't come until Monday. Chillax and play one of the other thousand steam games you've never installed.

coopolon

VGChampion said:
It's happened before. Just gotta be patient. There's nothing Steam can really say besides they're getting more.

They could put a notice up on the store website that informs potential customers that Steam is currently selling licenses they don't actually have. As a result customers would know that rather than buying a license, they are really more like pre-ordering one, and as a result would be able to make more informed decisions.

I'll be curious to see if Valve grants the refund requests that people are submitting.

I also think drizzle is overstating how often this happens. It hardly happens every weekend, it's actually quite rare in weekend deals.

confused

Banned
coopolon said:
They could put a notice up on the store website that informs potential customers that Steam is currently selling licenses they don't actually have. As a result customers would know that rather than buying a license, they are really more like pre-ordering one, and as a result would be able to make more informed decisions.

I'll be curious to see if Valve grants the refund requests that people are submitting.

I also think drizzle is overstating how often this happens. It hardly happens every weekend, it's actually quite rare in weekend deals.

It happened to me twice and I haven't even been on Steam for a year. First was Prey last christmas, second was Company of Heroes a few months ago. And I've seen it happen to a few other games I didn't buy.

coopolon

confused said:
It happened to me twice and I haven't even been on Steam for a year. First was Prey last christmas, second was Company of Heroes a few months ago. And I've seen it happen to a few other games I didn't buy.

Hmm, I guess it happens more often than I'd thought. I was aware of Prey, Dirt, and Empire at War. You'd think Valve would learn something from past mistakes. I actually think the way they handled Prey was better, taking it off the store rather than continuing to accept money from customers from products they knew they wouldn't be able to deliver. Of course then some people wouldn't get the deal, so I still think the best solution would be to post a notice on the store site so customers know what they are getting.

Volcynika

Well if I was a publisher and set up a sale with Valve, I would give them a good bit of keys. But estimating demand is a bit tricky. Seems more in the publisher's court.

coopolon

Volcynika said:
Well if I was a publisher and set up a sale with Valve, I would give them a good bit of keys. But estimating demand is a bit tricky. Seems more in the publisher's court.

To put up a warning on the Steam store website letting customers know there are no more licenses available? I don't think publishers have direct access to the Steam store information, I've always Valve is the one who controls all that.

Volcynika

coopolon said:
To put up a warning on the Steam store website letting customers know there are no more licenses available? I don't think publishers have direct access to the Steam store information, I've always Valve is the one who controls all that.

I'm talking more about the lack of keys available, rather than notifying users.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It happened on FlatOut 3 on the last sale it had (it didn't happen to ME, but happened to some people).

It's not that uncommon. It's just that it only happens to people that buy the game late into the sale. And we're all pretty hardcore around here, and we just buy the games as soon as they go up on sale.

drizzle said:
Every time there's a popular sale, the exact same things happens and the exact same points you brought up are brought up by people that don't know any better.

Saturday and Sunday are not work days for most companies. Steam usually doesn't respond to support tickets on weekends. Probably the people that provide Risen keys to Steam are not working either. Wait until monday and your key will be delivered to you.

It works like that EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekend sale sells a lot, keys run out, new keys don't come until Monday. Chillax and play one of the other thousand steam games you've never installed.

I understand what you mean. BUT I still think that steam should actually post something more informative. Or actually have a mod post that can speak English. (No idea what's going on with the one sentence they did post) I feel that steam representatives should be more involved with informing their customers about situations such as this. As in reassuring customers throughout the weekend that it will be resolved on Monday, or Tuesday. OR send out an e-mail to all involved; seems pretty simple to me! I feel steam's approach to it is just half asses and lazy; very poor customer service.

On an un-related note I have Metro 2033 and Divinity to play so waiting isn't an issue. I just wanted to see how Risen looked on my machine as the last I played it was on 360. It's really just the point of the matter that's infuriating.

benjipwns

Banned
coopolon said:
They do sometimes, they did for FUEL at least. In the price box under where it says "Buy Risen" it said "We're currently out of CD Keys but more are on the way!" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom