• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

eznark said:
Anyone play Guardians of Graxia?

It's decent, but I can't get a good grasp of the controls and the CPU beats my ass even on the easier levels.

I figure I'm just missing the strategic flow, but still...every game I'm left short on mana while the CPU has tons, and eventually everything turns on me.

Gameplay and engine is a little iffy at times, but nothing super problematic.

TheExodu5

Banned
RadicalRad said:
I understand what you mean. BUT I still think that steam should actually post something more informative. Or actually have a mod post that can speak English. (No idea what's going on with the one sentence they did post) I feel that steam representatives should be more involved with informing their customers about situations such as this. As in reassuring customers throughout the weekend that it will be resolved on Monday, or Tuesday. OR send out an e-mail to all involved; seems pretty simple to me! I feel steam's approach to it is just half asses and lazy; very poor customer service.

On an un-related note I have Metro 2033 and Divinity to play so waiting isn't an issue. I just wanted to see how Risen looked on my machine as the last I played it was on 360. It's really just the point of the matter that's infuriating.

I'm not going to disagree with you. Steam's customer service is horrendous.

In the meantime, you can user a no-cd crack. Mine was just a dll to replace in the game's directory. Game can be booted from its executable. This will do until I get it activated through Steam.

Really goes to show how shitty and useless DRM is though. It's so easy to get around, and yet just punishes the legitimate consumer.

GC|Simon

Hi all,

I'm from Germany and would like to buy Call of Duty Black Ops in Steam. However, I want the uncut version which isn't available on the German Steam. But I heard that I will get the uncut version if somebody from elsewhere in Europe will gift it to me?

I know, I'm not a well known person on NeaGAF, but it would be amazing if somebody could gift me the European uncut version of the game on Steam. I will pay via PayPAL or whatever. I'm trustworthy, really. So... if here is anybody who is willed to gift me the game... just send me a PM with all details. This would be AMAZING! Link to my steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/s-phazon

Edit: I read how to make the German version uncut. So I don't need this service anymore. But thanks anyway!

coopolon

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not going to disagree with you. Steam's customer service is horrendous.

In the meantime, you can user a no-cd crack. Mine was just a dll to replace in the game's directory. Game can be booted from its executable. This will do until I get it activated through Steam.

Really goes to show how shitty and useless DRM is though. It's so easy to get around, and yet just punishes the legitimate consumer.

I wonder if there is any reason to ever go through Steam. Since now we know those 3 activations actually never reset without asking the publisher, I'm tempted to just keep doing it this way and never have the game contact Tages at all.

My only concern is how proactive Steam is in checking the integrity of the games it has installed. Will it actually check to see if things are messed with in a single player game?

TheExodu5

Banned
coopolon said:
I wonder if there is any reason to ever go through Steam. Since now we know those 3 activations actually never reset without asking the publisher, I'm tempted to just keep doing it this way and never have the game contact Tages at all.

My only concern is how proactive Steam is in checking the integrity of the games it has installed. Will it actually check to see if things are messed with in a single player game?
I doubt it. Some games off Steam have to be cracked to even install mods (San Andreas). You're exercising free use over your purchased software. It's not as if you're distributing it.

If Steam ever shuts me down for something like this. they will lose my business for life. And I've probably spent 3k on the service so far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
I doubt it. Some games off Steam have to be cracked to even install mods (San Andreas). You're exercising free use over your purchased software. It's not as if you're distributing it.

If Steam ever shuts me down for something like this. they will lose my business for life. And I've probably spent 3k on the service so far.
Yeah, I would be incredibly pissed if they shut me down for using a cracked EXE on a game I own, but I don't think they give a shit. I have been using a cracked EXE for widescreen in KOTOR and it even lets me start the game through Steam fine still. I think the only time it check file integrity is in multiplayer games/when you verify game cache and when you do the verification thing, it just replaces the file with the one from their servers and you have to choose to do that. If Risen cracked is started with the regular EXE file and not a bat file or something, try clicking the game in Steam. It should work fine and you will get Steam community without having to add it manually/your time played tracked.

That said, Steam NEEDS to actually ban activation limits. That shit is stupid as hell. *Crysis rage*

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I would be incredibly pissed if they shut me down for using a cracked EXE on a game I own, but I don't think they give a shit. I have been using a cracked EXE for widescreen in KOTOR and it even lets me start the game through Steam fine still. I think the only time it check file integrity is in multiplayer games/when you verify game cache and when you do the verification thing, it just replaces the file with the one from their servers and you have to choose to do that. If Risen cracked is started with the regular EXE file and not a bat file or something, try clicking the game in Steam. It should work fine and you will get Steam community without having to add it manually/your time played tracked.

That said, Steam NEEDS to actually ban activation limits. That shit is stupid as hell. *Crysis rage*

Oddly enough it doesn't work, it still tries to contact the key servers, but when you just launch the .exe it does work. Oh well, I'm going to just keep using the cracked version. I just launch it from Steam as a non-Steam game.

rogue74

I've only had my new PC since August and told myself that I wouldn't impulse buy and develop a huge backlog. But I can't resist these Steam sales. I just got Risen this morning before the weekend deal ran out. I was holding out all weekend telling myself I have many games to finish and could wait till later. Finally caved in after perusing the official thread here.

What the hell is going to happen to me around Black Friday time?

fresquito

rogue74 said:
I've only had my new PC since August and told myself that I wouldn't impulse buy and develop a huge backlog. But I can't resist these Steam sales. I just got Risen this morning before the weekend deal ran out. I was holding out all weekend telling myself I have many games to finish and could wait till later. Finally caved in after perusing the official thread here.

Just an appetizer of what will happen to you next Christmas :lol

Smash88

Banned
I'm already starting to collect $5 here and $10 there, just so I can get whatever the Christmas sale will have. I'm expecting it to be bigger and crazier! :lol

Yeef

I think i should be fine this year for steam sales. There's only like 3 or 4 games on Steam that I want and don't have. If they go on sale all the better.

Smash88 said:
I'm already starting to collect $5 here and $10 there, just so I can get whatever the Christmas sale will have. I'm expecting it to be bigger and crazier! :lol
I dunno about everyone else but the Summer sale sucked for me. I only bought EVE and that was 90% off. I'll probably pick up some random indie games and maybe Silent Hunter.

Yeef

If Valve wanted to be truly devious they could do something like this:

"Receive a promotional TF2 item for every 5 games you buy during our Winter Sale! There are 20 different items. Collect them all!"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Smash88 said:
That's brilliant. I have been accumulating change since the start of the year (used my last collection to get a solid state drive) so I might use the change on Steam sales this year.

Yeef said:
If Valve wanted to be truly devious they could do something like this:

"Receive a promotional TF2 item for every 5 games you buy during our Winter Sale! There are 20 different items. Collect them all!"
What have you just done!

Am I missing something here? Dennis sold me on Two Worlds 2 but I cant find it on Steam anywhere. All I could find was Two Worlds epic edition.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's apparently coming January 1st, 2011 in North America and sometime in 2011 for PAL regions. It's already been release in Europe, though. Weird.

Either way, it doesn't appear to be on Steam yet, anywhere.

Salaadin

morningbus said:
It's apparently coming January 1st, 2011 in North America and sometime in 2011 for PAL regions. It's already been release in Europe, though. Weird.

Damn Europeans always get games before the US!!!:D

I looked for it as well and saw the US release. I guess I can wait but after the Steam BF and Xmas sales, I might put TW2 on hold until it also goes on sale because my back log will be huge.

morningbus said:

How is everybody playing it then? I think Dennis is in the U.S. Is it available through Steam in some territories?

Can hard copies be bought anywhere? I have friends in Europe I could have buy it for me then ship it to me.

NVM. Just read in the official thread that it is for sale in Germany which is perfect for me.

52club

Yeef said:
I think i should be fine this year for steam sales. There's only like 3 or 4 games on Steam that I want and don't have. If they go on sale all the better.

Just remember Steam knows you better than you know yourself. I've been allocating money for those $1-$5 games that add up to be about $40-$50 by the time the Steam sale is over.

Ledsen

morningbus said:

Either way, it doesn't appear to be on Steam yet, anywhere.

It's not out in Sweden and last I checked we were a part of Europe :/

Swag

Is Steam currently broken?

Whenever I try to run a Steam game, it just opens and closes the "Preparing to Launch" window over and over

then gives me "Steam.exe (main exception": The registry is in use by another process, timeout expired"

Quite an annoying error

graywolf323

I don't think the holiday sale will cost me as much this year as it did last year

solely because last year I bought almost everything I wanted and then some :lol so now most likely anything on sale I'll already own >_<

Sebulon3k said:
Is Steam currently broken?

Whenever I try to run a Steam game, it just opens and closes the "Preparing to Launch" window over and over

then gives me "Steam.exe (main exception": The registry is in use by another process, timeout expired"

Quite an annoying error

Shut down Steam then navigate to the Steam root folder and delete ClientRegistry.blob. Restart steam. That will fix most Steam problems.

rogue74 said:

Exactly same boat I'm in. I got my PC in September. Told myself I wouldn't go crazy and I've already spent 150-200 dollars on games. Those damn sales are what get me every-time!

ArjanN

Yeef said:

I'm in the same situation. There's only a handful of games on Steam left that interest me.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Last Xmas, I didn't buy a single game. It's all a matter of preference, not of price. At least that's how I see it.

trinest

wmat said:
Last Xmas, I didn't buy a single game. It's all a matter of preference, not of price. At least that's how I see it.
I'm more interested in looking for collections or picking up older games which I havn't bought on Steam yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DeaconKnowledge said:
didn't pop on the Risen deal because I just know they're going to give it a deep cut at christmas.
I thought about that, but I've been itching for an open rpg since the Gothic demo let me down and I'll probably put in some good hours over Thanksgiving.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Man, after years of WoW i think i'm finally realizing that i need something i can grind the shit out of. I liked nothing more than pumping some music through the cans and grinding stuff out. I did this with Fifa and Borderlands as well. I just need something that i don't need to listen to the sounds of the game, i can properly play it with a controller, and can just grind for hours with. Not looking like it exists. And if i could find a way to play diablo or torchlight with just a controller i'd probably do that too.
I actually formed a way to play WoW with a controller that worked really really well for grinding.

TheExodu5

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Man, after years of WoW i think i'm finally realizing that i need something i can grind the shit out of. I liked nothing more than pumping some music through the cans and grinding stuff out. I did this with Fifa and Borderlands as well. I just need something that i don't need to listen to the sounds of the game, i can properly play it with a controller, and can just grind for hours with. Not looking like it exists. And if i could find a way to play diablo or torchlight with just a controller i'd probably do that too.
I actually formed a way to play WoW with a controller that worked really really well for grinding.

Persona 3 Portable
Etrian Odyssey
SMT Strange Journey

Not PC games, I know.

On the PC, PuzzleQuest works, I guess.

gotee12

Joe Molotov said:
Exactly. But some of us have a preference for buying a lot of cheap games. ;)
Man I'm getting hyped. This will be my first Steam holiday sales. What are the odds that Railworks 2 will be on sale (as it's still pretty much brand new)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom