• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
pilonv1 said:
I wonder if anyone would have put any time into it if they'd put the race even earlier in the game?
Back then? Certainly. It was a novel type of game; remember, it came out when GTA 3 came out, so this was one of the two titles that breached into the openworldy car driving / shooting genre. People would just have suffered through the mission earlier in, but the rest would've made up for it, I'm sure.
Today? Such a racing mission could very well kill the buzz for a game.

Zizbuka

Banned
Necronomikon said:
+1

I enjoyed the demo a lot when I tried it and couldn't resist this offer. My backlog is huge too but this game it's totally worth $10 .

BTW... Why hasn't GAF updated it's profile optional fields with a Steam account?? I guess a lot of Gaffers own a Steam account and if it has a PSN and a Wii one, a Steam one shouldn't be difficult at all =P. I can help implementing it if you let me =P.

It's consoleGAF, we're just happy they let us hang out.

Anyone else have to re-enter they account credentials randomly? It's pretty annoying.

Raggy

Banned
Got myself a new PC, so Steam was reinstalled.

Now I can't seem to get rid of UAC question, even though steam.exe got administrative rights. The user executing steam.exe got admin rights, UAC is set to the next to bottom level.

Solutions?

SmokyDave

Raggy said:
Got myself a new PC, so Steam was reinstalled.

Now I can't seem to get rid of UAC question, even though steam.exe got administrative rights. The user executing steam.exe got admin rights, UAC is set to the next to bottom level.

Solutions?
Turn UAC off?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Foliorum Viridum said:
Anybody played NightSky?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99700/

Never heard of it before and it looks cool. Gives me a Limbo vibe but looks more puzzley.

It was just on the front page of Steam and caught my attention.

It's supposedly quite short, but it's made by Nifflas who is very well known for his indie gems Knytt, Knytt Stories, Saira, and Within a Deep Forest (Saira is also on Steam, the other three are freeware)

benjipwns

Banned
I have to admit despite knowing it's lots of work that indie devs are only hurting themselves when there's no demo.

A big company, big IP, established development house, etc. game gets various advantages outright. Not to say that demos don't help them a lot either. (The Batman demo probably did a ton for that game.) In the case of an indie though I assume most people are leery.

But something like Defense Grid the demo justified it almost instantly for me. Well, at least after I had played hours of the demo. (I think it was out before the game anyway.)

RUSH, Everyday Genius, Recettar, Iron Grip, the list goes on and on where demos turned a "maybe" into bought. Free weekends work too, but they are limited in that I have to make sure I download and play during that select period.

Was there word on why Anomaly's demo listing went away after not working for a day?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Raggy said:
Tempting, though why am I getting this question when the .exe already have admin rights?
When the .exe is to be executed by the admin, of course the UAC will ask when you want to run it. I don't think you want it to be executed by the admin anyway; usually, you'd install Steam with your restricted account, and when you start the installation, you're hit with a UAC notification; then, the rights should be set inherently so that your restricted account can handle Steam.

MNC

LiquidMetal14 said:
I would probably buy Borderlands for like 5 if it were to go on sale. If Mafia II is on sale on Thursday I may get it. I just got the GTAIV Complete package for 8 on D2D so I'm all set there.
5 bucks for borderland is a purchase for me as well. I can't allow my backlog to grow but such a price is great.

What does Borderlands use, by the way. Is it steamworks to join games? Does it use GFWL?

Big-E

Pick up Anomaly Warzone Earth if you haven't done so already. Good little game for less than $10. Just finished it now and it offered a good level of challenge and has some replayability. Highly recommend giving it a shot if you are looking for something a little fresh.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MNC said:
5 bucks for borderland is a purchase for me as well. I can't allow my backlog to grow but such a price is great.

What does Borderlands use, by the way. Is it steamworks to join games? Does it use GFWL?
Good follow-up and something that would compel me further into a buy. Someone chime in?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MNC said:
It uses Gamespy to join games :(

Fortunately it looks like Gearbox learned their lesson and IIRC they are using Steamworks for Duke Nukem multiplayer (which looks hot).

Sanjay

Nabs said:
Which games are you looking for?

Spiral knights, League of Legends, Quake Live, BF play4free, Need For Speed World, Battlefield Heroes and Battleforge. God I could go on forever but you get the idea :D

EviLore said:
How about remaining civil with each other and not taking pot shots with shitty memes?

WHO ARE YOU. I can't remember your previous samurai, it's eating me away.

benjipwns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It uses Gamespy to join games :(
To be honest though, since the patches it seems to actually work if you're trying to connect to specific people you know on your friends list.

Otherwise, well...good luck!

EDIT: Lag and crap can really throw you off sometimes though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
benjipwns said:
To be honest though, since the patches it seems to actually work if you're trying to connect to specific people you know on your friends list.

Otherwise, well...good luck!

EDIT: Lag and crap can really throw you off sometimes though.
Yeah it definitely improved and if I stick with New England friends for playing co-op there is almost no lag, but with randoms or overseas? Sweet baby jesus it's awful.

_Bro said:
fuck you, gaf

mafia 1 is ass

all i've done is drive a taxi, watch videos, and "learnt" to steal a bolt ace
Somebody warned you that it does start very slow. I think the intent is to teach you the city geography and how the driving works.

Sanic

Geoff9920 said:
Would someone post the recommended settings here for those of us stuck at work?

Minimum Specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GS / ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro or equivalent
Hard Drive: 8GB of free space

Recommended Specs

Processor: Intel Quad Core i5
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon™ HD 5850

I agree that the recommended specs do seem a bit high considering the tech they are coming from (although, maybe that's why they're so high.)

TheExodu5

Banned
Gully State said:
wow those are some high ass recommended settings for Brink.

They're probably just realistic recommended specs. Too many games list recommended specs that can't even manage 30fps at the highest settings.

Exuro

Minimum system requirements

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GS / AMD Radeon HD 2900 Pro
Windows XP (SP3)/Vista/Windows 7
8GB free HDD space

Recommended system requirements

Intel Quad Core i5
3GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 / AMD Radeon HD 5850
Windows XP (SP3)/Vista/Windows 7
8GB free HDD space

That is ridiculous, a 460 for recommended?

Sanic

Heavy said:
Damn that's high, mainly the GPU. I've only got a 5770 1gb

They probably just brute forced the game onto PC with little optimization

I kinda doubt that tbh, if only considering their pedigree and the time spent in development. It's probably more like they brute forced modern tech on top of idtech 4, or it was poorly implemented. Just taking a stab in the dark though.

Slo

I bought my 5850 like 15 months ago, why are people complaining that it's the recommended spec for games now? It's not like that's the min spec.

I'd say the CPU recommendation is more extreme than the graphics card. Most games that take advantage of 4 cores just recommend a quad core cpu but this specifically recommends an i5.

Firebrand

Yeah, those recommended specs are much higher than I thought from what I've seen of the game so far, hopefully my lowly GTX260 / dualcore can squeeze out 30 FPS at 1080p at some settings without the game looking entirely garbage.

Nabs

Magicka is 5 bucks. Vietnam is also 5.

Buy both for 8.

Or get the 4 pack for 15 (does not include DLC).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Felix Lighter said:
I'd say the CPU recommendation is more extreme than the graphics card. Most games that take advantage of 4 cores just recommend a quad core cpu but this specifically recommends an i5.

Having just recently upgraded from a Core 2 Quad 6600 to an i5 2500k, the difference is really quite substantial. Over 100% performance increase in some games. All quad cores are not equal. Not even close.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Yeah it definitely improved and if I stick with New England friends for playing co-op there is almost no lag, but with randoms or overseas? Sweet baby jesus it's awful.
I like the idea of Borderlands but haven't gone back to it mostly because of the graphics settings you have to mess with along with the stupid Gamespy stuff that has apparently been patched to a degree. I think I got the game right after it came out and it made me very leery of Gearbox, but I do want DNF...

I do have one fond memory shortly after I started playing Borderlands, though. I somehow managed to get into a game some random guys in Australia were hosting. Despite the lag and whatnot inherent in it, I think we managed to actually play for an hour or two in the wee hours of the morning (for me), and they were pretty entertaining.

Zefah said:
Having just recently upgraded from a Core 2 Quad 6600 to an i5 2500k, the difference is really quite substantial. Over 100% performance increase in some games. All quad cores are not equal. Not even close.

Yeah definitely but recommending an i5 quad core or better doesn't leave a lot of CPUs to choose from.

It's been awhile since I payed super close attention to CPU benchmarks but last I checked the i5 750, the slowest i5 quad core out performed all AMD quad core CPUs and even the AMD hex core CPUs in most gaming situations. That would pretty much leave just the i5/i7 4/6 core CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom