• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Has there been any word about Dragon Age 2 preload? I see they did it for DA:O and ME2 so is it safe to say that DA2 will also?

steam.jpg

:(

Avyrocky

Banned
I started playing EFLC on steam and there is non stop texturing floating.

This happens on The Lost and Damned right at the beginning of the game. I have applied this update http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=445395 but there is no luck it is still visible when I play.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this?

Here are some pictures of what is occurring...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014936925/screenshot/542885770865961837

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014936925/screenshot/542885770865959956

Many thanks

Avyrocky said:
I started playing EFLC on steam and there is non stop texturing floating.

This happens on The Lost and Damned right at the beginning of the game. I have applied this update http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=445395 but there is no luck it is still visible when I play.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this?

Here are some pictures of what is occurring...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014936925/screenshot/542885770865961837

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014936925/screenshot/542885770865959956

Many thanks

Try updating your drivers? Other than that, don't really know as it seems to be something hardware specific on your end.

Avyrocky

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Try updating your drivers? Other than that, don't really know as it seems to be something hardware specific on your end.

Thank for the reply. Well I have the latest ATI drivers installed and still the dark lines and floating textures are visible to the eye.

I turned off the Catalyst AI and the floating textures had disappeared however then there was non stop texture pop ups when driving around? It is horrible...

I do not think God wants me to play this game :(

vocab

Who knows. GTAIV is a technical mess. It runs fine on certain hardware setups, but most setups it's so messed up. It's pretty much unplayable on my system. Also the texture pop in is a staple of GTA. Last time I played Vice city, I drove into a fucking invisible car because the car didn't load.

Avyrocky

Banned
vocab said:
I can't see shit in those screenshots so I can't help you. Also the texture pop in is a staple of GTA. Last time I played Vice city I drove into a fucking invisible car because the car didn't load.

Look closer...

vocab

Avyrocky said:
Look closer...

Ya, I saw it when I went fullscreen. It could be anything. If you are on Ati just don't use 10.12. Also if you have the steam version, there is no reason to patch it again. It could cause some severe issues.

Avyrocky

Banned
vocab said:
Ya, I saw it when I went fullscreen. It could be anything. If you are on Ati just don't use 10.12. Also if you have the steam version, there is no reason to patch it again. It could cause some severe issues.

Okay thanks boo!

Avyrocky

Banned
vocab said:

Which ATI drivers should I use then if not to use 10.12?

vocab said:
Who knows. GTAIV is a technical mess. It runs fine on certain hardware setups, but most setups it's so messed up. It's pretty much unplayable on my system. Also the texture pop in is a staple of GTA. Last time I played Vice city, I drove into a fucking invisible car because the car didn't load.

My old pc could run Crysis at medium-high settings at 1680x1050, but couldn't run GTA IV at lowest settings and 800x600. My new pc, which is still pretty middle of the road and uses the same video card, will run it maxed out at like 30fps. I think it's just crazily cpu-intensive.

Zzoram

CaptainAhab said:
My old pc could run Crysis at medium-high settings at 1680x1050, but couldn't run GTA IV at lowest settings and 800x600. My new pc, which is still pretty middle of the road and uses the same video card, will run it maxed out at like 30fps. I think it's just crazily cpu-intensive.

Ya, GTA IV is way, way more CPU-bound than GPU-bound. Get a really fast quad-core and the game runs well even if you're still on an old GPU.

graywolf323

Spwn

Wow, that's pretty cold. It's not like people don't have friends around the globe these days so how do they know who to ban?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ohhh, that's messed up. Does it mean we're screwed on the worldwide gifting issue?

I guess the fact that he gifted over 20 people during the xmas sale was the thing that triggered it? You know, as opposed to the one or 5 copies we do...

That sucks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What about 20 packs and shit they're pulling this year?

How are we supposed to gather 20 people, if not on international web forums?

This is weak as hell.

graywolf323

drizzle said:
What about 20 packs and shit they're pulling this year?

How are we supposed to gather 20 people, if not on international web forums?

This is weak as hell.

more so since I saw someone in the comments post an image of a reply he got from Steam Customer Service in regards to him being out of the country they even recommended he get international users to gift him games

Uycax.jpg

Nabs said:
Eh. I don't trust random reddit users to tell the whole story.

maybe but he does provide some proof

0VYSB.png
ALt6b.png

Kritz

Banned
I grantee that if Steam starts enforcing the arbitrary price gouging of identical, digitally distributed items, I will stop purchasing all EA, 2K, THQ, Bethesda and Sega games in their entirety, as well as use other digital / import services for my purchases when available.

Regional pricing is the one thing, the single most important thing Steam has against it, and banning people for purchasing god damn fucking games without paying the fucking nonsensical regional price increases over items that are functionally exactly the fucking game is something that has the highest possibility of completely ruining their service. Trust me, I'm an expert.

Parham

Banned
iam220 said:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fk90z/steam_support_bans_my_account_for_gifting/

Not sure if already posted but it seems that steam is now banning people who gift across regions with the purpose of paying the lower price, I see it done pretty often here so just wanted to give you all a heads up.
There must be another issue involved which led to the ban. I gifted games to over one hundred people during the Holiday sale and I have yet to receive a ban, or even a warning, from Steam.

coopolon

I'm sure gifting isn't disallowed, it's circumventing regional pricing. So they must have caught him selling the games (like we do frequently here on Gaf.) I wonder how they caught him doing that though, since there's no way to do it via Steam itself.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
azentium said:
There must be another issue involved which led to the ban. I have gifted games to over 110 users during the Holiday sale and I have yet to receive a ban, or even a warning, from Steam.
This.

If it was simply for using the gifting system to avoid paying over the odds for games (yey regional pricing) then I think there would be quite of us here who would be screwed.

No, I think the issue here is someone using a VPN or proxy to buy games restricted in their regions. There is nothing wrong with getting a game gifted, but trying to get around regional restrictions is against the TOS (Even though i strongly disagree with regional pricing/licensing) and will end up in an account suspension.

Even so, looking at the screenshots it looks like the account was unblocked anyway, and looked clear enough to me; Gifting = OK, circumventing regional issues yourself = account death.

Blizzard

Banned
Stop It said:
This.

If it was simply for using the gifting system to avoid paying over the odds for games (yey regional pricing) then I think there would be quite of us here who would be screwed.

No, I think the issue here is someone using a VPN or proxy to buy games restricted in their regions. There is nothing wrong with getting a game gifted, but trying to get around regional restrictions is against the TOS (Even though i strongly disagree with regional pricing/licensing) and will end up in an account suspension.

Even so, looking at the screenshots it looks like the account was unblocked anyway, and looked clear enough to me; Gifting = OK, circumventing regional issues yourself = account death.
But having someone gift you the game and then paying them for it is done all the time, has the same effect as far as I can tell, and is even mentioned above as presumably okay. The "we're going to check your account periodically and make sure you don't try to get a good deal again" thing ranges somewhere between creepy and sad. :(

Do they really, truly expect that people won't buy gift packs and have friends pay them for the individual items? At any rate, this is going to make me really leery of international gifting in the future, even though it's only occasionally that non-US people get better prices.

Blizzard

Banned
markot said:
That or he was doing it on a massive scale >.<
He mentioned that he got like 20 games over Christmas, or something, right? So, theoretically, he could live in Australia and not want obscene Australian DD prices.

Is it "okay" for people to gift as long as they do it occasionally, or only gift and not circumvent the prices themselves? Can we at least agree that it would be nice if Valve made it more clear instead of leaving people to potentially find out the loopholes when suddenly they can't play any games at all (including ones they DID pay normal regional pricing for)?

Parham

Banned
Blizzard said:
He mentioned that he got like 20 games over Christmas, or something, right? So, theoretically, he could live in Australia and not want obscene Australian DD prices.

Is it "okay" for people to gift as long as they do it occasionally, or only gift and not circumvent the prices themselves? Can we at least agree that it would be nice if Valve made it more clear instead of leaving people to potentially find out the loopholes when suddenly they can't play any games at all (including ones they DID pay normal regional pricing for)?
According to his posts, Amergift is from the United States and gifted games to people in Europe.

markot said:
That or he was doing it on a massive scale >.<
More then likely this, else how would you gift a friend a game without falling into random shit.

I had a game once bought for me because it was $5 in the US and £5 here, when really it should have been £3.99 at the most, poor currency conversions by the game owner.

MNC

That's horrendous. What if some thing is an actual gift instead of a circumvention for the price. It's not that the proof looks fake, it's just too ridiculous to believe at first.... By Valve.

Rainier

Spwn said:
You were actually the first to come into mind when I read about this. :lol
I just sent this to Steam Support:
Hi there!

Over the years I've bought a lot of Steam games, and often buy game packs to gift to friends. Today I gifted several games I still had sitting around, yet I just read online that your Steam account can be banned if you gift games to people overseas, which I have. Is this true? If it is, how can I avoid losing my seven year Steam account?

Hopefully something can be worked out.
I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
I just sent this to Steam Support: I'll let you know if I get a reply.
Good luck, but I'm going to cynically predict that you will get the terms of service quoted to you and no real answer.

Hope I'm totally wrong though. :p

Nabs

MNC said:
That's horrendous. What if some thing is an actual gift instead of a circumvention for the price. It's not that the proof looks fake, it's just too ridiculous to believe at first.... By Valve.

It's also Reddit. I've seen a bunch of these types of posts, and they usually end up backfiring in the end.

Hopefully valve backs the fuck off of this. Don't become an evil overlord, Valve, If people get that perception of your company, then steam is toast.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TouchMyBox said:
Hopefully valve backs the fuck off of this. Don't become an evil overlord, Valve, If people get that perception of your company, then steam is toast.

If the publishers are demanding it, Valve has to follow through.

Sinatar said:
If the publishers are demanding it, Valve has to follow through.

Well then they'd better remove the gifting feature of limit its use.

Limit the amount of gifts someone can send to five a month and never disable accounts of those who feed you. It would be bullshit, sure. But it's better than fearing the safety of all your games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah I saw this story was on reddit and I immediately doubted it. People are so desperate to believe anything bad about Vlave. CONSPRIACIES MOTHERFUCKER.

I mean I have gifted shitloads of games across territories and didn't get my account locked. Then again, I don't go fucking near Paypal.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah I saw this story was on reddit and I immediately doubted it. People are so desperate to believe anything bad about Vlave. CONSPRIACIES MOTHERFUCKER.

I mean I have gifted shitloads of games across territories and didn't get my account locked. Then again, I don't go fucking near Paypal.

I also call BS on this. There is no way for Valve to know whether someone is actually being gifted a game by a friend overseas or if its a transaction between two parties. If they start implementing this and banning folks for it they may as well just do away with gifting all together.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:

The person could of course be lying, but they didn't say that gifting was an issue. They are suggesting that that gifting and being paid back, in order to get someone a better price from a different region (which I think is common on NeoGAF), was an issue. As pointed out, it would be difficult for Steam to detect this however, and all the proof that is given is that the account will be monitored in the future for regional violations.

Your case is different if you're giving pure gifts.

Blizzard said:
The person could of course be lying, but they didn't say that gifting was an issue. They are suggesting that that gifting and being paid back, in order to get a better price from a different region (which I think is common on NeoGAF), was an issue.

Your case is different if you're giving pure gifts.

Again, Valve has no way of knowing though. If they're able to know private exchanges between individuals within Paypal there is a much bigger issue. What I could see is this person marketing himself as a go between if you will. Be it on Craigslist, the Steam forums, or another publicly viewed forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom