• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

Uhm is anyone following the origin or eadm sales for a longer time? I get the feeling that you can only benefit from origin discounts if you live in the US. All the discounts I see, seem to be for the US only (at least I tried getting DS2 today for a test and it wouldnt accept the discount code). And in the past I almost remember no sales for europe either. Along with no gifting possible this sucks a lot.

Salsa

desu said:
Uhm is anyone following the origin or eadm sales for a longer time? I get the feeling that you can only benefit from origin discounts if you live in the US. All the discounts I see, seem to be for the US only (at least I tried getting DS2 today for a test and it wouldnt accept the discount code). And in the past I almost remember no sales for europe either. Along with no gifting possible this sucks a lot.

posted earlier; but i cant even buy anything from Origin in South America. Sales dont show up but i cant even buy at full price

SalsaShark said:
posted earlier; but i cant even buy anything from Origin in South America. Sales dont show up but i cant even buy at full price
Kinda like Impulse. I swear there are only 5 games available in my region.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm staying in a holding pattern until the summer sale at this point. When roughly can we expect it? I think it was in July last year?

Mr Nash said:
I'm staying in a holding pattern until the summer sale at this point. When roughly can we expect it? I think it was in July last year?
June 24 to July 4. So either next week or the week after.

(Just assuming)

coopolon

desu said:

Most of the more popular deals are EA insider deals, which are US only (I think partly because they also are good on console versions of games which they ship so therefore restrict it to US). I believe they also sometimes have store deals, which tend not to be quite as great, but are in multiple regions. These are like 10% off all preorders, etc. I can't recall any recent ones though, so may be mistaken.

LovingSteam said:
Who here took advantage of the EA sale? I am really tempted to even though I hate Origin at this point. Decisions decisions.

I picked up Bulletstorm today. Was pretty excited about it from the demo and impressions. I actually planned on paying $20 for it and kept missing the $20 sales so I'm very happy. I have yet to have any problems with GFWL, hope my luck continues. I already DS2, although if I didn't I certainly would have been happy with the $12 price point, I got that one for $20 about a month ago. Fortunately I have already played it and really enjoyed, so I'm not too upset about paying more. If I hadn't touched it yet I'd be more annoyed.

So, Left for Dead 2 is available as today's daily deal for $6.80. Anyone expect it to be cheaper during the Summer Sale? I'd not be surprised to see it at $5.00, so for the $1.80 difference I'm thinking of just getting it now.

EDIT: Thanks StuBurns!

Sanic

I'll trade the following TF2 items for the Variety Indie bundle, if anyone is interested (as far as my research has turned up, this should be worth a bit more than the indie bundle, correct me if i'm wrong)

-Genuine Brain Bucket (hat)
-Genuine Dead Cone (hat)
-Dueling minigame (item)
-Darwin's Danger Shield (item)
-Crusader's Crossbow (item)
-Deagreaser (item)
-Holy Mackerel (item)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Sgt.Pepper said:
June 24 to July 4. So either next week or the week after.

(Just assuming)

Thanks! Also just noticed that GoG is having a special week-long sale thing starting next week. This could be an exhilarating few days for my wallet. :p

cicero

Pandoracell said:
I'll trade the following TF2 items for the Variety Indie bundle, if anyone is interested (as far as my research has turned up, this should be worth a bit more than the indie bundle, correct me if i'm wrong)

-Genuine Dead Cone (hat)
-Dueling minigame (item)
-Deagreaser (item)
-Holy Mackerel (item)
Your TF2 item trade chatter in this holiest of threads roiled my very stomach.

Pandoracell said:

-Genuine Dead Cone (hat)
-Dueling minigame (item)
-Deagreaser (item)
-Holy Mackerel (item)
I think you might be luckier in SPUF or other TF2 trading board.

Sanic

cicero said:
Your TF2 item trade chatter in this holiest of threads roiled my very stomach.

Always willing to lend a hand to those wanting to place silly cosmetic items on their characters ;p

I think you might be luckier in SPUF or other TF2 trading board.

I may do that, but I always prefer to deal with gaffers, and it's not that huge of a deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pandoracell said:

-Genuine Dead Cone (hat)
-Dueling minigame (item)
-Deagreaser (item)
-Holy Mackerel (item)
IMO thats a pretty crap trade.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I broke down and installed the Steam client. Purchased and downloaded the first Red Faction game and it seems to work surprisingly well on this low end netbook I'm using. Looking forward to using Steam more often.

BTW, any recommendations for good games that will run on a very low end netbook would be welcome.

Darkmakaimura said:
I broke down and installed the Steam client. Purchased and downloaded the first Red Faction game and it seems to work surprisingly well on this low end netbook I'm using. Looking forward to using Steam more often.

BTW, any recommendations for good games that will run on a very low end netbook would be welcome.
My recommendations are Jamestown, Machinarium, Plants vs. Zombies, Super Meat Boy, Revenge of The Titans, Civilization IV, VVVVVV, Samorost 2, Magic: The Gathering 2012.

I assume Terraria as well, but I don't own it. Source games (HL2, Portal, etc.) aren't too demanding as far as I can see, except for Left 4 Dead 2, that one runs terrible in my low-end machine.

Darkmakaimura said:

Deus Ex runs like gangbusters on mine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ChoklitReign said:
Is there ANY AAA game that isn't overpriced in Australia? Just curious.

On Steam? Well, there's Valves own games and... not much else. Deus Ex: HR is the same price, for example.

Card Boy

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Is there ANY AAA game that isn't overpriced in Australia? Just curious.

For the most part it's easy to avoid overpriced games on Steam due to alot of games being Steamworks, the exception being EA games.

EA price gouge us on Steam
EA price gouge us on their own store
EA IP blocks us on Direct2Drive
EA IP blocks us on Impulse
EA IP blocks us on Gamersgate
EP IP blocks us from Gamestops store.

For MW3 i know it being Activision it will be like 90USD, so i can go to Gametap or retail and buy it and register it on Steam. Activision only ever rips us off on COD games, their other games are the same regular price as the US.

All new THQ/2KGames/Sega/Bethesda games are basically Steamworks so i can avoid Steam whenever price gouging occurs and buy from somewhere else. Just EA are the bloody problem.

Binabik15

Great, a daily deal for L4D2 I can actually see, but won´t buy because I don´t support cut games. Germany FTW!

I don´t have paypal, so I can´t even go to the gift begging thread. I´m just venting about my fucking government.

KarmaCow

The community is alright. I usually play with random in co-op and outside of a few nutjobs it's been good. Versus is a crapshoot though and not friendly to newbies (which is why I haven't played it more than a few times).

dani_dc

Darkmakaimura said:

Also keep in mind that there is a good chance Steam will have a summer sale in the next coming weeks.

Besides the games Sgt.Pepper mentioned I would like to mention The Secret of Monkey Island as well as Monkey Island 2 and Defense Grid.

Detox

For 360 pad on Source games you have to enter this in the console "exec 360controller" to undo it enter this "exec undo360controller"

Nabs said:
Revenge of the Titans is available on Mac (Steamplay)
So that's why it showed up on New Releases.
That's bad, since it encourages developers to not include a Mac version at the original release and instead release that version later to have the game have more, free ad-space.

Blizzard said:
How much RAM do you have? Steam requires a minimum of 16GB, but you should really be running 32GB these days, psh.

I'm kidding, but I don't think I've had chat windows freeze on me. How much do you have?
Thank god you're joking! You really had me going there Blizzard.
drizzle said:
He's not wrong, Steam baloons up with time:

26O1L.jpg

That's on a 23 hours uptime.

I very rarely have any sort of sluggishness from the Steam interface. And when I do, it quickly gets solved after the storefront fist loads up.
I guess it could be tied to uptime yeah, but considering the software is designed to be run 24/7.. and we're getting a more restart free operating system by the day. It is a flaw that needs to be fixed. I've got 260mb at the moment, with a couple of chat windows open. Opening a few other windows makes it jump to 300mb.
3chopl0x said:
:I yes I know a lot of people don't have this problem, and I never had it until like last year. It becomes more frequent all the time.

StuBurns

Banned
Marsipolami said:
So that's why it showed up on New Releases.
That's bad, since it encourages developers to not include a Mac version at the original release and instead release that version later to have the game have more, free ad-space.
But it's also not really fair that developers with limited resources should be punished by not having their second SKU advertised as well as the first.

It's never ideal to release different versions at different times, a catch all marketing campaign is far more effective.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Atom Zombie Smasher is awesome, Awesome, AWESOME. I don't know how to properly describe it, but it is kind of like a tower defense game where you are saving civilians from zombies. It is hard as nails, too. I lost my first two campaigns and barely won my third one. I would highly recommend it to people who like strategy games, especially since it is currently on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom