• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For some reason I played Champions Online for 8 hours.

+Nice concept
+Amazingly kickass character creation
+Cool powers, most of which I only witnessed other players perform
+++HUD scaling option. TAKE NOTE, ALL DEVELOPERS!
-Mostly ruined by it being an MMO and thus a chore-fest
-Popup tips about obvious things make you unable to fight until you close them

I guess I can't really complain, since it's free and all. I don't know what poor suckers Atari is suckering into using their overpriced virtual currency, but they are probably making major bank off of it. The only thing I think would be worthwhile to buy are expansion slots. Everything else you can get the hard way if you're really into the game, and if you're not, you shouldn't be spending money on it.

markot

Banned
Id care about memory footprint, and I do if I have a game that 'leaks'... but I guess I tend to figure most people have at least 4 or more gb these days... and steam never takes up more than 50mb for me when open >.<

Hell firefox right now is using .5gb and I dont care, even when I had 2gb it was never a huge issue. But I tend to have few running processes and try to cut all the crap that starts up with computers after awhile, HP printer software and ze like...

Derrick01

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
RE: Ram usage, are you guys measuring working set memory or commit size?

For me at least I look at working. When it's closed out to the tray it goes all the way down to 15-20 but after a while, let's say a couple of hours, it balloons to 100+. I'm not sure if playing a game has any affect but I would imagine it should go back down after the game's off.

Though if I bring the store up and close it again it goes back down. Not a huge issue for me but I think it's a little weird.

gregor7777 said:
What's the "best" of the f2p games released recently on Steam? If I had to try just one...?
Spiral Knights seems to be popular with classmates, looked decent but I am not really a fan of that type of stuff.

markot

Banned
Spiral Knights is ok, ive only played that and Champions online... well I played CO for abit back in the beta. And its just another terrible Cryptic mmo >_<

re: window freezing.

I had 4gb for the longest time and the windows would freeze fairly often but most noticeably when i would be downloading something at the same time.

I have 8gb total last week and haven't noticed a problem since them *crosses fingers*

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Visualante said:
I guess it could be tied to uptime yeah, but considering the software is designed to be run 24/7.. and we're getting a more restart free operating system by the day. It is a flaw that needs to be fixed. I've got 260mb at the moment, with a couple of chat windows open. Opening a few other windows makes it jump to 300mb.
If you minimize it, it goes to 15mb used.IT only uses ~300 when the store front is open.

That's not an issue to me.

Edit: I have the same old, dumb question: I already have Machinarium. If I buy the Indie Variety Pack, will I get to gift Machinarium? I'm thinking no, as it was with before indie packs...

MNC

Visualante said:
Thank god you're joking! You really had me going there Blizzard.

I guess it could be tied to uptime yeah, but considering the software is designed to be run 24/7.. and we're getting a more restart free operating system by the day. It is a flaw that needs to be fixed. I've got 260mb at the moment, with a couple of chat windows open. Opening a few other windows makes it jump to 300mb.

:I yes I know a lot of people don't have this problem, and I never had it until like last year. It becomes more frequent all the time.
When I close most of my steam windows it goes down again. And ofcourse it shouldn't be solved like this, but restarting steam resets it all.

Joe Molotov said:
WoW has ~2500 achievements.

Which always made me sad there was so little variety. The general achievements were the best. All the others were cookie cutter achievements like beat each dungeon / hard 25 man / 5 man/ etc...

I mean, that's a general quick observation but I wish there were more goofy fun achievements then actual "achievement" if that makes any sense whatsoever. Sorry for the off topic. :p

1-D_FTW

I've been running 2GB a lot this year with my constant defective sticks and RMAing. Most games never cross the 2GB threshold and once you're in a game, Windows 7 is very efficient at streamlining background stuff and keeping you from going to hard drive RAM. I know there have been some RAM intensive games that cause Windows to close enough junk to only have 400MB committed system wide when I exit the game (with Steam still running).

domlolz

Banned
figure I'd ask here, I wanna buy portal 2 for ps3 so that way I also get it on pc for not much more. I'd like to play co-op with my brother with just the one copy-possible?(him on the ps3 me on the pc)

I searched on google but it's just discussions and speculation from when it was announced, has anyone managed it? I figure all you'd have to do is make another steam account for whoever plays on the ps3 but yeah, any one know?

Zzoram

domlolz said:
figure I'd ask here, I wanna buy portal 2 for ps3 so that way I also get it on pc for not much more. I'd like to play co-op with my brother with just the one copy-possible?(him on the ps3 me on the pc)

I searched on google but it's just discussions and speculation from when it was announced, has anyone managed it? I figure all you'd have to do is make another steam account for whoever plays on the ps3 but yeah, any one know?

I don't think it will be possible because you have to link your PSN account with the Steam account you put Portal 2 on, and you log into both while playing Portal 2 on PS3.

I'm getting a weird issue with L4D2 after I upgraded my card. Steam says that it cannot recognize my card, AMD Radeon HD 6800 series, and that there may be issues with the game. So I start it anyway, and it crashes when I hit a button on the Valve logo. I've made sure my drivers are up to date, so I don't know what else could be the cause. Every other game has run fine, so far.

Echoplx

Asked in the gifting thread with no luck, is anyone willing to gift L4D2 from anywhere that doesn't censor it? Can paypal in advance

StuBurns

Banned
domlolz said:

Yes it's possible.

But you can't be on the same Steam account.

domlolz said:

Yeah, it's possible. You just have to sign into Steamworks on the PS3 from Portal 2 once. After you do that, you can go to Steam on your PC and redeem the code in the package. Your brother is free to log into Steam on the PS3 using his own account. Playing Portal 2 on PS3, even through Steamworks doesn't require any kind of code redemption or anything like that.

The ethical nature of this is a matter of debate left up to the user.

drizzle said:
Edit: I have the same old, dumb question: I already have Machinarium. If I buy the Indie Variety Pack, will I get to gift Machinarium? I'm thinking no, as it was with before indie packs...

Nope, no extra copies.

domlolz

Banned
MacGurcules said:
The ethical nature of this is a matter of debate left up to the user.

yeah I personally can't find much wrong with it but I'm the one who asked about/wants to do it so I can't really say anything...

anyway, thanks dudez~

*ollies outta thread*

gdt

I bought Singularity a few weeks ago when it was on sale, and finally started digging in. It's pretty meh until you get the TMD, then it takes a ride into awesome town.

PS, this is also that game where I started binding keys (new to PC gaming)...it's a godsend. Using my side mouse buttons is...brilliant. I didn't like where use/reload was...made its CAPS. Didn't like Health Pack, made it E.

Edit: Probably gonna move Use/Reload to the forward side mouse button. I feel like I've had an epiphany.

plc268

Toma said:
Impressions anyone?

It's ok. It kind of plays like a strategy board/card game. It's more of an education game than about climate change than anything else. It's not bad, and overall $5 is a decent price.

It's probably really hard to understand what it's about without actually playing it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gdt5016 said:
I bought Singularity a few weeks ago when it was on sale, and finally started digging in. It's pretty meh until you get the TMD, then it takes a ride into awesome town.

PS, this is also that game where I started binding keys (new to PC gaming)...it's a godsend. Using my side mouse buttons is...brilliant. I didn't like where use/reload was...made its CAPS. Didn't like Health Pack, made it E.

Edit: Probably gonna move Use/Reload to the forward side mouse button. I feel like I've had an epiphany.
The segment in and around the ship is fucking perfect.

Gvaz

Banned
Singularity was really bad up until the TMD segment and it went from bad to "mostly okay"

The problem is how derivative it felt. I've played games exactly like this before.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
Singularity was really bad up until the TMD segment and it went from bad to "mostly okay"

The problem is how derivative it felt. I've played games exactly like this before.
Which ones? Cuz I'm always down for sci-fi FPS.

Gvaz

Banned
It felt like I was playing some mesh of HL2 and Bioshock, and maybe Timeshift in terms of flair.

This was a while back I played singularity though.

My steam right now is at 84,112 KB as I type this but watching it, every few seconds it's increasing a few K out of nowhere.

I have had my pc on for about 8 hours today and not played any games on it yet, browsed the marketplace one just now to see what new deals were up.

Closing the steam window to the trey drops it to 20,000 KB but it's still counting up by 4 every second or so, memory leak?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
It felt like I was playing some mesh of HL2 and Bioshock, and maybe Timeshift in terms of flair.

This was a while back I played singularity though.
I've actually been thinking about picking up Timeshift and will prolly do so during the sale. How would you say it compares to Singularity in terms of quality? I did enjoy the demo when I played it a year or so ago.

Gvaz

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I've actually been thinking about picking up Timeshift and will prolly do so during the sale. How would you say it compares to Singularity in terms of quality? I did enjoy the demo when I played it a year or so ago.
It's really low quality though I can see what they were trying for. I don't mean in visuals when I say that.

It's also very short and you don't use the time control as much as you'd like, or as much as the demo (iirc) tried to show off. It's mostly for scripted events or situations which is kind of a downer.

Binabik15

Was there a Tomb Raider bundle deal during the last big sale? Or another way to get Underworld and Legend and maybe GoL for cheap, because I´m suddenly itching to play something besides RPGs and shooters. I don´t want to buy an Eidos pack for 50€ or something, though.

I could get either for ~6pounds from zavvi right now and/or bundle them with other games in their 3 for ten deal. They´re sloooow with shipping games here sometimes, that´s why I might wait for the summer sale.

Just got Steam and love it. My first game is counter strike and i noticed it came with condition zero and the deleted scenes. Can i remove the deleted scenes from my game list?

Syphon Filter said:
Just got Steam and love it. My first game is counter strike and i noticed it came with condition zero and the deleted scenes. Can i remove the deleted scenes from my game list?

I use the detailed view set to installed. That way you dont' see all of your currently uninstalled titles listed.

Forkball

Syphon Filter said:
RIP wallet

Get TF2 if you know what's good for you.

Gvaz said:
It's really low quality though I can see what they were trying for. I don't mean in visuals when I say that.

It's also very short and you don't use the time control as much as you'd like, or as much as the demo (iirc) tried to show off. It's mostly for scripted events or situations which is kind of a downer.

Heh, I was gonna say exactly the opposite. I felt that the graphics were a little dated, but the gameplay and story were well done with some awesome set pieces and I really enjoyed the alternate history timeline.

The mechanics for the time control were also pretty solid and there were 5 or so different variations of it if I remember right, and you really had to use them in combat to make it through the game, which is tough on harder difficulties.

As far as game length, it was at least 2 times longer than Singularity, which was pretty short, despite being awesome.

PaulLFC

I guess Steam will be adding more F2P games on Monday then, if they're keeping up this "F2P game of the day" idea. Am I right that the only one left currently that hasn't been game of the day is Alliance of Valiant Arms? That'll probably be tomorrow, so I guess new games Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom