• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

After talking to Salsa a bit about the ban I'm really hoping he gets this sorted out and is back in time for the Christmas sale.

Chesskid1

Banned
RIP Salsa, gonna take some getting used to..

i have a question. is there any way to view the activity of a single person? with blotter, i can see what all my friends are up to, but i just wanna see what one of my friends is up to. i've been making friends (brag) and it's becoming a hassle scrollin through the list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
3chopl0x said:
It's not as good as the first FEAR but i'd say it's worth $4

I own it on the PS3. The only reason I want the Steam version is because I already own FEAR, its expansions, and FEAR 3 (which I still haven't played). :p

Echoplx

vazel

Banned
FEAR 2 didn't activate for me on Steam but I don't mind I like using Gamersgate too. I also picked up the first FEAR.

JaseC

I didn't think to check the DRM section since the game is Steamworks. Oh well, at least it was only $3.

JaseC

Just bought Hard Reset. I had forgotten it was 50% off over at GMG.

I think I'm done with Steam deals for the remainder of the year - time to put those pennies away for the upcoming Christmas sale.

JaseC said:
Just bought Hard Reset. I had forgotten it was 50% off over at GMG.

I think I'm done with Steam deals for the remainder of the year - time to put those pennies away from the upcoming Christmas sale.

No kidding, I keep thinking of putting at least a hundred away for it lol. I spent way to much last year

Mupod

3chopl0x said:
Yeah that's really weird, everywhere I looked said it was Steamworks, sorry guys :C

Hell I got the retail copy of FEAR 2 on day 1 and it was steamworks. Entirely possible that they could've put out another version though.

Forkball

Fall of the House of SalsaShark. First he gets called out for bitching at people for not buying Costume Quest when he didn't buy it and now he's banned until Human Revolution is $20.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
animlboogy said:
Salsa IS the Steam/PC community. What will the winter sale be without him?

OCCUPY THE GAMING SIDE, we need this man to make autistically complete list of indie games we should be playing.
Salsa was pretty much the only one posting good information about steam games consistently (spl?). Community tab seems closer and closer now.

jim-jam bongs said:
While not strictly a Steam related topic, Big Picture Mode isn't anywhere to be found so it's kinda helpful. I got tired of always keeping a keyboard and mouse around to control my TV PC. It wouldn't have mattered as much except that I've always had a laptop sitting nearby my TV since before I hooked the PC up to it all the time.

So I decided to finally take the plunge and install Synergy, which I've used before for work but never thought to use in my living-room. Basically it lets you share a keyboard and mouse over a network. The result is that I now have a laptop sitting directly in front of me on the coffee table while I recline about 3m from the set, and I use that to handle the non-360 controller aspects of operating my TV PC.

It's a freaking revelation. Wii U ain't got nothing on my controller with a screen in it.
If you have an iPhone, Android, or iPod Touch then you should just install a mouse control App, that's what I did. I think the popular choice is Mobile Mouse but I use a free app called RemoteDroid on my phone. It basically turns your phone's touch screen into a trackpad and on-screen keys into the keyboard for your computer over your Wireless network.

I'm constantly controlling my laptop through it while it's closed and plugged into my television.

Flunkie

Banned
Houston3000 said:
If you have an iPhone, Android, or iPod Touch then you should just install a mouse control App, that's what I did. I think the popular choice is Mobile Mouse but I use a free app called RemoteDroid on my phone. It basically turns your phone's touch screen into a trackpad and on-screen keys into the keyboard for your computer over your Wireless network.

I'm constantly controlling my laptop through it while it's closed and plugged into my television.
This is what I do with my iPad. I caught this when it was free (or maybe I have the lite version?), but anyways, there's tons of programs like this out there. You just have to download a server for it to your computer, but it's no big hassle as long as you have wifi.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Moderation feedback

If you guys have specific comments on someone being banned, it makes more sense to PM a moderator to ask for clarification. SalsaShark's ban is not permanent and he is free to discuss it with you guys, but it really serves no purpose to derail the thread complaining about it. If people keep replying with posts about the subject, I'm just going to delete the posts. I'm not trying to suppress anyone, just trying to keep the thread related to the subject in the thread title.

drizzle said:
Community tab seems closer and closer now.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss games. New games, old games, games on sale, games not on sale, Steam registry leaks, game impressions, performance impressions, reviews, gifting and international pricing, whatever. We give a lot of leeway, I don't think anyone is bothered that general PC gaming discussion occurs in here.

EviLore's comment that the thread could be moved to Community referred to the fact that probably a majority of the replies in this specific OT3 have been community style stuff. "Yo buds what's up" "Who else in da steam cru" "Lol u sexy man" "whats ur library worth" kind of stuff. It's not hard to simply not reply if you don't have anything to say that's gaming related. We don't moderate this thread particularly strictly, so it's not like I'm trying to be gestapo here and say that there can never be a mildly off-topic reply, but the balance is totally out of whack right now.

There's a GAF Steam Chat, there are PMs, there's the community forum, people are welcome to do an IRC chat--or you could even just include some gaming-related content when you feel the need to make a senseless community reply. A chat room is better suited to low content back-and-forth banter anyway. It's all good. The thread isn't going to move itself to the community forum, it'll be moved if people choose to continue making tons of non-gaming related posts and treating it like a subcommunity instead of a thread to discuss gaming in.

If anyone has any input in terms of ideas to help keep the thread gaming related, feel free to PM them to me. I've tried to do a good job of encouraging people to get back on track, and personally posting to set an example by providing detailed game impressions and replying to others who provide detailed game impressions.

You can also PM me with complaints about this issue, but we apply this standard to every thread, and if anything this thread has gotten more leeway than most. Just skim any random page and you'll see a huge percentage of the posts not being game related.

I hope this can be considered the "last word" on the issue and that anyone who has any feedback sends it to me or another moderator via PM. If you PM me, I will respond to the best of my ability. Any no-content "mods suck" or "free salsa" or whatever posts made after this will be deleted.

Echoplx

Anyone that was on the fence about Hard Reset should know that the new 10% off code stacks with the 50% discount making it $13.50

GMG10-PERCE-NTOFF

MNC

3chopl0x said:
Anyone that was on the fence about Hard Reset should know that the new 10% off code stacks with the 50% discount making it $13.50

GMG10-PERCE-NTOFF
Brings down battlefield to 33 euros.

Edit: Hard Reset ain't discounted no more :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JaseC said:
On the upside, 6 months is plenty of time to play through Alice.

Probably this:
Tongue and cheek and don't mind the guy. He's a good guy at heart but tends to hit the post button before thinking a lot. He will be back :)

Mupod

Dammit, I was gonna get Hard Reset when I got home. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be discounted on Steam itself soon enough.

JaseC

LiquidMetal14 said:
FFS another good sale to miss lol.

Anyone want to trade me that game or more(!) for an HDMI cable (seriously :p)

The GG version, strangely, isn't Steamworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom