• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok guys, I just built a gaming pc about a month ago, first one I've had in years. So I got steam and have been enjoying the daily deals/midweek/weekend sales. I keep hearing about the big summer sale though, but what's the deal? I take it that a large swath of games will be heavily discounted all at once but how does it work? Are regular discounted games discounted further during daily deals during the sale? If there are some games that I want that are discounted at the beginning, am I safe to wait until the end of the sale to see if they pop up on the daily deal and if not just buy them then, or is there a chance they will become undiscounted during the sale? Thanks
Don't buy anything unless it's one of the daily deals. If they haven't been in any you can safely buy them the last day of the sale.

Also, you might want to pay your mortgages and your electricity bills, etc., so you don't regret it later :p

Trust Microsoft to use the game's Marketplace release date rather than its actual release date as an excuse to charge one-third of the RRP.

Wait, so you're telling me Gears didn't come out 2 years ago?! I... I think I need to go lie down...

Ok guys, I just built a gaming pc about a month ago, first one I've had in years. So I got steam and have been enjoying the daily deals/midweek/weekend sales. I keep hearing about the big summer sale though, but what's the deal? I take it that a large swath of games will be heavily discounted all at once but how does it work? Are regular discounted games discounted further during daily deals during the sale? If there are some games that I want that are discounted at the beginning, am I safe to wait until the end of the sale to see if they pop up on the daily deal and if not just buy them then, or is there a chance they will become undiscounted during the sale? Thanks
Most of the Steam catalog is on sale, with about 6-12 or so games on sale for a smaller price every day. It's encouraged to wait for a game to pop up as a daily deal before you buy it, but some games do not appear. You'll want to buy those games on the last day, which is usually an encore day, with all the best daily deals throughout the sale.

Ruh Roh. Corpekata on CheapassGamer says,

"One of the Carpe Fulgar guys posted over at Penny Arcade this: "Unless I've been badly lied to, sale isn't starting tomorrow. (I can't say when it IS starting, but I think I can say it isn't tomorrow.) "

I'm going to wager on the Cubemen guy's leaked date as the real start."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ruh Roh. Corpekata on CheapassGamer says,

"One of the Carpe Fulgar guys posted over at Penny Arcade this: "Unless I've been badly lied to, sale isn't starting tomorrow. (I can't say when it IS starting, but I think I can say it isn't tomorrow.) "

I'm going to wager on the Cubemen guy's leaked date as the real start."

What was the Cubemen guy's leaked date then?

Ugh, this is one of those situations where Valve's secrecy sucks. They could have pretty easily have just said "Hey, it's not tomorrow" but it isn't really their "style" to do that.

Salsa

hey Corpekata: you've been lied to

Ugh, this is one of those situations where Valve's secrecy sucks. They could have pretty easily have just said "Hey, it's not tomorrow" but it isn't really their "style" to do that.

half the fun

it would suck if we knew when it was and when it wasn't

Wait, someone refresh my memory, last summer sale we got tokens for getting achievements, and could redeem those tokens for DLC, small games, etc; or we could save them for a grand prize right?

hey Corpekata: you've been lied to

half the fun

it would suck if we knew when it was and when it wasn't

It's fun speculating a few weeks ahead of time, but when a lot of people are like "Hey, this is probably happening tomorrow!" and it is within their power to say "Not quite." I think they should. I am not even saying that they should say "Yes, it is happening on X date" but it would be nice to know whether or not I should be excited for tomorrow instead of hearing a bunch of second- and third-hand bullshit from people.

Salsa

Wait, someone refresh my memory, last summer sale we got tokens for getting achievements, and could redeem those tokens for DLC, small games, etc; or we could save them for a grand prize right?

the more "tokens" (they were actually tickets) you had by the end the more opportunities you had to win the big prize

dosh

you're right tho. Back to the original plan:

c77897e00fafd0b2d2af57b6b9ff1ef6.gif

Ho no, give me back the rainbow sparklies :(

kamspy

From the Ghost Recon OT

kamspy said:
PC port is the shittiest Ubi port I can remember.

I've got a GTX 680, and can't even taste 60fps with moderate settings. What a fucking let down.

I'm a sucker for dudebro military shooters, so I happily copped it at $40 from Meijer. Got home, did what seemed like maybe the longest game installation in the history of my PC gaming, and boom. Shit. Pure, filthy shit.

Maybe it would be good if it ran. I can't tell. I know the gameplay is really designed around a controller. Keyboard controls didn't mesh. But wtf does mesh at 20fps?

Fail Ubi. Now I have to fear all future Ubi ports. I was one of the few who could swallow the Ubi DRM, since IMO, the ports and games were always really solid. But this is pure shit. One of the worst major release PC ports in recent memory.

Oh fuck, the load times. LOAD TIMES. No kidding - I have to break out the iPad during load screens. Also, 2 START screeens with a good 3 minute load inbetween them.

Shame on whoever ported this turd.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
This thread's gonna go full I Am Sam if this thing doesn't kick off in the morning, isn't it.

kamspy

Wat. I had firefox, 3ds max, and an emulator up and the time from fullscreen to main menu here was 46 seconds.

SSD?

Maybe, MAYBE My HDD is too full. Only 100 free GB. Yet it somehow doesn't effect any other games....

I'll try to reinstall at some point. I'd like to play it and all.

______

Also, I've seen most of you guys in these threads for long enough. Is there really any PC games you don't own? I can't think of anything I'm looking for in the Steam sale. :/

sazzy

______

Also, I've seen most of you guys in these threads for long enough. Is there really any PC games you don't own? I can't think of anything I'm looking for in the Steam sale. :/

maybe this summer sale, valve revokes all licenses and you get to buy all your games back for $0.99 each!

Eusis

Actually this may be raining on the hopes of the sale starting tomorrow... but Valve hasn't started midweek sales leading up to an event sale before, have they? I'd think if LA Noire didn't go on sale it'd be a sure thing, but I became pretty pessimistic when that did.

Actually this may be raining on the hopes of the sale starting tomorrow... but Valve hasn't started midweek sales leading up to an event sale before, have they? I'd think if LA Noire didn't go on sale it'd be a sure thing, but I became pretty pessimistic when that did.

Last year Hydrophobia was a midweek madness during the week of the sale.

I'm still hoping that the sale will start tomorrow. What better way to get people stuck in the sale vortex than to release the long awaited Meet The Pyro video along with a new TF2 update? Welcome people into the Steam house with a noteworthy video and TF2 update, and then begin a big sale the following day. Hook, Line, and Sinker.

I hope.

Sober

Anyone new to PC gaming or not really participated in previous sales ... if this is your first one, don't be surprised if you go over 200$ by the end. After 3 years of straight up WoW, holy crap did I have to play catch up.

Most people complain about how the sales are always the same but that's because they already nabbed them back in the day. What is the new white whale of steam sales now? VTMB finally went on sale last winter or something?

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone new to PC gaming or not really participated in previous sales ... if this is your first one, don't be surprised if you go over 200$ by the end. After 3 years of straight up WoW, holy crap did I have to play catch up.

Most people complain about how the sales are always the same but that's because they already nabbed them back in the day. What is the new white whale of steam sales now? VTMB finally went on sale last winter or something?
Yeah, Ahab finally nailed his harpoon on VTMB and we got it for like ten bucks. The Last Remnant was another game that never got discounted, but I think it was 7.50 last week. I don't know if there's anything left...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So now that we know that there will be no Summer sale this year, what is everybody looking forward to buying in the Winter sale? (If there is one of course)

sazzy

So now that we know that there will be no Summer sale this year, what is everybody looking forward to buying in the Winter sale? (If there is one of course)

you mean i actually have to play the games i've already bought? wtf man?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom