• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Yeah, Ahab finally nailed his harpoon on VTMB and we got it for like ten bucks. The Last Remnant was another game that never got discounted, but I think it was 7.50 last week. I don't know if there's anything left...
Pretty sure on Steam, TLR was 10$ last summer. I would know because I bought it and still haven't played it.

Yeah, Ahab finally nailed his harpoon on VTMB and we got it for like ten bucks. The Last Remnant was another game that never got discounted, but I think it was 7.50 last week. I don't know if there's anything left...

Actually, the story behind VTMB is even more hilarious than that. It finally went on sale, though for only 33% off (13.39 or something). Pretty much everyone just bit, because the last time it was on sale was, like, 2 years before that.

I think it was less than a week later that it became a weekend deal for $5. Valve trolled the shit out of SteamGAF with that one!

zkylon

zkylewd
Actually, the story behind VTMB is even more hilarious than that. It finally went on sale, though for only 33% off (13.39 or something). Pretty much everyone just bit, because the last time it was on sale was, like, 2 years before that.

I think it was less than a week later that it became a weekend deal for $5. Valve trolled the shit out of SteamGAF with that one!
Yeah, I still remember that (I bought it 33% off). It'd be easier to blame it on Activision but we all know Valve are the master trolls.

Eusis

And if this is true, I think that's an indication that the rumoured sale of Steam to EA has been completed. No more sales!
Actually Nintendo bought them. EA's just letting some nutjob voice his opinions while the rest of the company actually tries to be competitive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, the general sale discount was 33%, and when it didn't show up as a daily, everybody bought it on the final day of the sale. A little over two weeks later, it was a Weekend Deal with a discount of 75%.

graywolf323

Yeah, the general sale discount was 33%, and when it didn't show up as a daily, everybody bought it on the final day of the sale. A little over two weeks later, it was a Weekend Deal with a discount of 75%.

yeah Valve are real assholes sometimes

Eusis

yeah Valve are real assholes sometimes
Part of it (a lot of it?) is with the publishers though. See SE raising the price of Last Remnant in time for an SE sale (then coming to their senses and bringing it down to $30 when it was $40 before the price hike).

Part of it (a lot of it?) is with the publishers though. See SE raising the price of Last Remnant in time for an SE sale (then coming to their senses and bringing it down to $30 when it was $40 before the price hike).

Yeah, raising the regular price before a sale to make a discount seem more significant is some dirty shit, man.

Bradach

So if the summer sale does start today it'll probably be at 6pm GMT (about 8 hours), right? Thats the normal time they refresh the daily deals if i remember correctly

So if the summer sale does start today it'll probably be at 6pm GMT (about 8 hours), right? Thats the normal time they refresh the daily deals if i remember correctly

10AM PST, I think, so whatever that is in GMT~ too tired to work that one out right this second

iNvid02

From the Ghost Recon OT

ugh that sucks.

the recent games i've bought, and been thinking about buying all seem to be lazy, half assed ports. ripping off your customers like that only works once, then they know not to buy from you ever again.

la noire was on sale for what it was worth, hope these other 2 bomba

la noire - horrible port with fps capped at 30 to hide the horrific performance and lack of optimization

spec ops line - just read in several places that SLI just doesnt work despite there being a profile for it, plus a lot of people have reported serious lag

ghost recon future soldier - what kampsy said

Kabouter

I wasn't pleased to discover that L.A. Noire's framerate for me was largely in the single digits, even on poor settings. I know my PC is quite old, but given its graphical appearance relative to other games that run fine, it really should be performing much, much better.

Koroviev

I wasn't pleased to discover that L.A. Noire's framerate for me was largely in the single digits, even on poor settings. I know my PC is quite old, but given its graphical appearance relative to other games that run fine, it really should be performing much, much better.

GTA IV has made me wary of any Rockstar-published games on PC. Inexcusably bad performance given the graphical quality.

Smash88

Banned

It was an extremely bad port job. At this point anything Rockstar brings to the PC will be second-rate. I think the game is locked at 30fps anyways, due to the facial animations. Increasing it will cause issues.

See: GTA IV. Still to this day top of the line machines with SLI struggle to get decent/good framerates.

Nothing you can do.

Silence Blasphemer!!! Your wallet will receive no reprieve!!!

I like you.

JaseC

GTA IV has made me wary of any Rockstar-published games on PC. Inexcusably bad performance given the graphical quality.

Disregarding the game itself, R* did a fine job of developing Max Payne 3 for the PC. Although it's rather volatile (pre-patch, at least), it scales very well and performs excellently even on modest hardware.

It was an extremely bad port job. At this point anything Rockstar brings to the PC will be second-rate. I think the game is locked at 30fps anyways, due to the facial animations. Increasing it will cause issues.

See: GTA IV. Still to this day top of the line machines with SLI struggle to get decent/good framerates.

Nothing you can do.

I like you.

MP3 was a great port so hopefully that is future indication with the direction they are going with the PC.

Koroviev

Disregarding the game itself, R* did a fine job of developing Max Payne 3 for the PC. Although it's rather volatile (pre-patch, at least), it scales very well and performs excellently even on modest hardware.

Hopefully that level effort is reflected in future releases, as I'm not terribly interested in MP3 :(

JaseC

Hopefully that level effort is reflected in future releases, as I'm not terribly interested in MP3 :(

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about GTAV's PC release
(and RDR PC /foreverhopeful)
. I'm not expecting it to be as slick as Max Payne 3 given the game is open-world, but at the very least it should be better than post-patch GTAIV/EfLC... which isn't setting the bar all that high. :p

Koroviev

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about GTAV's PC release
(and RDR PC /foreverhopeful)
. I'm not expecting it to be as slick as Max Payne 3 given the game is open-world, but at the very least it should be better than post-patch GTAIV/EfLC... which isn't setting the bar all that high. :p

Yeah, that would be nice. I spent all of $5 on GTA IV, and I still feel ripped-off :(

Koroviev

Alex

Max Payne 3 should have been Bully 2. I'm still sour that R* Vancouver never got to make that.

Hopefully some day!

Card Boy

Banned
I still can't download the last 50 meg of Tribes Ascend. I have tried all day. Whats the point of Steam megasales when Steam doesn't work for 2 months a year?

-Validated files
-Tried downloading from different regions
-deleted clientregistry.blog

Nothing fixes it. It's forever stuck on suspended.

KFyS5.gif

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
One guy on the Penny Arcade forums said he can safely say today is not the sale. I don't know if he's a developer or something, but today wouldn't be it. The comment was posted on the Steam forums and people seemed to trust him. Ga'h!

I'm starting to lose hope. Oh well. I'm on vacation all next week so it sorta sucks it won't happen until AFTER my vacation ends. Which means buying games via my phone while busy at work. Grrr. Or maybe a lunch break on my PC since I live a few minutes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom