• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Wow,

Somebody once told me that the Steam server were shit regarding downloading speed.

Just got Bell Fiber installed at my place and I can reach top speed no problem on their server. This is great.

http://i.imgur.com/e2A4l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

On good days I have seen over 10 mb/s. It's like Steam doesn't want to give me an excuse to browse GAF for two hours.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wow,

Somebody once told me that the Steam server were shit regarding downloading speed.

Just got Bell Fiber installed at my place and I can reach top speed no problem on their server. This is great.

http://i.imgur.com/e2A4l.jpg

They've gotten better recently but I remember the Witcher 2 release day. No preloading was given so everyone was downloading at like 400KB/s

Salsa

back to Dead Space 2 now that my controller is fixed. Chapter 13, they just keep spawning Necromorphs at this point if I dont move quickly

Jobacca

Neo Member
Wow,

e2A4l.jpg

OMG at that speed... I have Cox and thought my 2mps was fast..

Wow,

e2A4l.jpg

Downloading a fully patched game at 3.2mbps and then launching the game from an SDD at 1080p AAx4.

God bless PC gaming.

Tried to launch R6 Vegas on W7. Nothing happens. Preparation to launch windows appears and disappear withing 2 second.

My friends see me playing the game. Weird

PC Gaf, I have to buy a laptop and I need help picking a model.

I don't know a lot about notebook parts so I need a few opinions. Which one is better for gaming?

1. AMD APU (CPU+GPU) A10-4600M 2,3GHz - Turbo Core 3,2GHz
8 GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2 GB GDDR3
Crossfire 7660G Integrated + 7670M Dedicated

2. Intel Core i5 3210M 2,5 GHz turbo 3,1 GHz
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
NVIDIA Geforce GT650M 2 GB GDDR5

Thanks in advance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Europe servers have been great mostly.

Yep, I usually get pretty great speeds too. Under normal circumstances, that is. It was absolutely horrible during the christmas sale, and I'm not gonna be expecting a problem free experience this upcoming sale either.

JustinBB7

I always get max speed, for couple of years now. (well not max but really high, I've never got my max anywhere ever)

Think my highest was around 25mb once

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PC Gaf, I need to buy a laptop and I need help picking a model.

I don't know a lot about notebook parts so I need a few opinions. Which one is better for gaming?

Thanks in advance.

The GT 650M is a better GPU, and Intel + Nvidia is usually a better bet than AMD + AMD/ATI when it comes to gaming. Nvidia has been great with driver updates for notebook GPUs lately (I believe they didn't provide them themselves at all previously, instead referring to manufacturers, but now they release them on their site just like they do for desktop GPUs).

MRORANGE

With Steam Sales coming during the summer I'm thinking of starting a new steam account and buyi all the games I have again (minus the bundles, games I hate)

The main reason for this is to use it as a account which everyone in the house can use once I hook it up to the tv, granted I could use my account but I would really like to keep my games separate.

Katoki

Bleh that other thread is so slow. Giving out keys from Indie Royale Bundle. PM please.

Harvest: Massive Encounter - Gone
Serious Sam 2 - Gone

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With Steam Sales coming during the summer I'm thinking of starting a new steam account and buyi all the games I have again (minus the bundles, games I hate)

The main reason for this is to use it as a account which everyone in the house can use once I hook it up to the tv, granted I could use my account but I would really like to keep my games separate.

Someone get a 5150 on MRORANGE

The_End

Bleh that other thread is so slow. Giving out keys from Indie Royale Bundle. PM please.

Harvest: Massive Encounter - Gone
Serious Sam 2 - Gone

Desura Only:
The Journey Down: Chapter One
Dino Run SE

I guess I was too late for Harvest. Oh well, thanks anyway for your generosity.

Just so you know though, the Desura key is unified. Which means if you give it somebody, they'll get all the Desura games.

Wok

[...]

Desura Only:
The Journey Down: Chapter One
Dino Run SE

Do not give away this key. This is the same key in the URL of your bundle, which means it is an access to DRM-free downloads + Steam keys not redeemed + Desura keys.

Posting this again just to remind me the games Im giving away.

If you want any, just PM me your e-mail. :)

Aztaka
Dark Scavenger
DEMISE:Ascension
Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I dream of having speeds even half of that. Shit even a third would be a much better improvement. I only get 1.2mb on a great day.

I used to only get ~360KB/s on my old DSL internet service. Imagine my glee when I started getting numbers like 3.2MB/s.

That was a glorious day.

pax217

Usually pulling around 6mb/s from Steam's servers, but I'm only a few minutes away from their offices in Bellevue; not sure where they house the Seattle servers at.

Sometimes, though, I'll get like 20kbps for a TF2 update or something which is really odd.

I have Comcast's 40mbps service (which clocks in around 15mbps usually lol)

feel

jbqwQCMkHuWN7O.jpg

Wok

With Steam Sales coming during the summer I'm thinking of starting a new steam account and buying all the games I have again (minus the bundles, games I hate)

The main reason for this is to use it as an account which everyone in the house can use once I hook it up to the tv, granted I could use my account but I would really like to keep my games separate.

Or you could just buy the games someone in the house wants to play before the 2012 Winter sales.
Or you could just give your account away and create a new one with games you plan to play in the next months.

In any case, no need to buy all your games again.

I can't believe that apparently nobody has developed a custom skin that allows for universal LARGE FONT across store, chat, etc.

The best I've managed to find is away to change the font size in Steam chat but even when I alter all the numbers myself a lot of stuff, like my friends list and the games they are playing etc, remains tiny.

I pretty much have given up on big screen mode seeing as how it has been a YEAR AND HALF since it has been announced. How hard is it to make the fucking font size readable from a TV?

I understand Valve draggin ass but I'm shocked nobody else has developed a skin/work around. It's pretty annoying. Even when I'm gaming on my 52" plasma it is hard to see a lot of stuff from where I sit. Some of that font is ridiculousness small.

ASilva

Neo Member
Holy crap and I thought my 1.8mb was pretty decent. Damn I want your internet service. :0

Can't complain. The internet/TV service in Portugal is pretty awesome

I have 100Mb fiber (no download / upload limit) + TV (100 channels, hd, etc) + Home phone for 19.99€(~25$) a month (it was a promotion, only this price untill the end of the year). Otherwise it costs about 45€ (~56$) per month

MRORANGE

Or you could just buy the games someone in the house wants to play before the 2012 Winter sales.
Or you could just give your account away and create a new one with games you plan to play in the next months.

In any case, no need to buy all your games again.

That's silly talk.

In all seriousness I really don't like other people using my account with VAC Bans/Probations on trading and such, too risky for me considering once of my cousins wanting me to show me a hack I can do on my account for MW2 >_>

With a new account I don't have to lose much, even if it's vac banned.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's silly talk.

In all seriousness I really don't like other people using my account with VAC Bans/Probations on trading and such, too risky for me considering once of my cousins wanting me to show me a hack I can do on my account for MW2 >_>

With a new account I don't have to lose much, even if it's vac banned.

I say fuck your cousins. Let them get their own Steam accounts. Why are you considering spending a load of money for their benefit? I already buy every Humble Bundle twice (instead of paying 10 bucks for my copy, I pay 5 and 5 for two copies, so I can gift one to my Cousin) and she's already getting a pretty good deal, but she deserves it. I could never fathom doing what you're doing.

MRORANGE

I say fuck your cousins. Let them get their own Steam accounts. Why are you considering spending a load of money for their benefit?

considering they live less than 1/2 a mile away and drop in every other day (lone parent) they usually just hop on my pc when I'm not there and play games, I really don't mind but I have set it too offline mode whenever I'm away from home.

That and I think it's time to have a individual account for the TV once I get a pc hooked up to it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
considering they live less than 1/2 a mile away and drop in every other day (lone parent) they usually just hop on my pc when I'm not there and play games, I really don't mind but I have set it too offline mode whenever I'm away from home.

That and I think it's time to have a individual account for the TV once I get a pc hooked up to it.

I kinda can understand having two accounts, one for Multiplayer games where you don't care if you get VAC Banned and one you do, but re-buying games to have them on both accounts...

I guess I just rather buy more games.

vall03

wow, Gundemonium Collection on Indie Royale? looks like no Steam Sale for me anymore. After getting Analogue a couple of days ago, I dont think I'll be getting any more new games soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom