• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

You know what's funny? There was a guy at work the other day indicating that he didn't know what the max parameter was for this other product's threads, so while he was talking I Googled it and showed him the answer.

So yeah, should have gone there first!

:p Glad you got your game working, but that first post seemed really unnecessary since you probably could've Googled a fix in the time it took to write it. Don't let this bad experience discourage you though, it's certainly not the norm and at least if this type of stuff happens on PC you can find a fix for it yourself whereas if it happens on console you're just screwed. And you already know about the financial incentive to buy games on PC!

mannerbot said:
Well, it'll be out after the conclusion of the summer sale. You could wait to see if it's then discounted during the Winter Sale if so inclined.

Jive Turkey said:
It won't even be out for this year's summer sale.

I should wait then because my friend doesn't play Skull Girls that much.

Orayn

Got a Steam sale "trailer" image for this thread, courtesy of /v/.

P4UuY.jpg

The GT 650M is a better GPU, and Intel + Nvidia is usually a better bet than AMD + AMD/ATI when it comes to gaming. Nvidia has been great with driver updates for notebook GPUs lately (I believe they didn't provide them themselves at all previously, instead referring to manufacturers, but now they release them on their site just like they do for desktop GPUs).

Thanks. The GT 650M looks like a nice GPU but I'm worried about the i5 3210M because it's only a Dual Core. Maybe I should check other options for a gaming laptop.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Have an extra Dota 2 key from Playdota. Should still be valid, but I have tried to give it away before. Let me know if it works, quote post to see key.

Site won't load... what does it say?

What's Happening in July:

July 2
PLAY VIDEOGAMES INDOORS
For the extroverted, outdoorsy types, summer’s about lake parties and bike rides and jet skis.

But for us paler, lazier, more introverted types, summer is full of opportunities to stay indoors, fire up the computer, and put in some good long stretches of videogame marathons. In the days leading up to the Fourth of July, Seattle-based Valve puts on an insane digital download sale, hawking last year’s priciest games for less than a meal at Arby’s. Get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 prices!

Sure, people may criticize you, nagging that you’re missing out on another gorgeous Spokane summer, but you won’t hear them over the sound of laser blasts and carjackings.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What registry tool is everyone using? Is there a website that keeps track of this or is it a tool that's available somewhere to download?

*edit* I just saw that bronasium site, thanks. I guess that's what at least some people are using, though I feel like there used to be a program.

There is a program, but the websites are much easier to do, mainly since they they show the differences between update, and can be searched.

Even with only 2 cores, Intel CPU's tend to be better than AMD, I'd definitively would go with the Intel+Nvidia one over the AMD one.

gaf Gaming Laptop thread might be of some help to you.

But thats only because most current games arent really optimized for quad cores yet. That could significanty change in the next few years.

I know people dont like to hear it but expecting a gaming laptop to give you the kind of performance a cheaper desktop would get you is like expecting a DS to run 360 games.

Peope are much better off buying a cheap netbook/laptop for their work/school needs on the go and a separate desktop. You can do both for the price of one of those "gaming" laptops and you wont have a laptop that is really hot and gets crappy battery life and you'll have a real gaming PC that is better too. $200 netbook +$500 self built desktop is way better than a $700 gaming laptop.

AlexBasch

Gah, I shouldn't even be buying more games since I have a huge backlog starting with The Witcher 1, the AC series and whatnot. ):

Unless there's something amazingly crazy in there, I'll just get Binary Domain from the other awesome sales.

hlhbk

Ugh.

This is why I went to console gaming.

1. I see Dawn of War II on sale for $5. I excitedly pick it up.
2. I apparently didn't get a key, so I had to wait more than 24 hours before I was able to install the game. Given that I got it for $5, I shrug and accept that waiting 24 hours for something that's been out for several years isn't all that bad. Still, I am slightly annoyed.
3. Finally have key. Can install. Must now wait a couple hours while the game downloads. Ugh.
4. Game has downloaded! Fire it up! Great opening cinematic. "This world is ours, witch." Sweet! I choose my character name. I get to see all the worlds. Opening cinematic ends and I'm ready to ... CRASH.
5. Don't report problem. Close Steam. Restart Steam. Boot up game. Opening cinematic ends and I'm ready to... CRASH.
6. Sigh... fill in data. Send error report. 7 hours later, no message from anyone who might give a shit that the game I bought is unplayable.

To anyone complaining about errors and such while I know it can be frustrating it is a very small tradeoff for the greatness that is PC gaming. 99% of the time the issue is with your system, not the game itself. If at all possible you should game on a PC that doesn't nothing else other than games on it, which keeps your system as clean as possible. If you are getting errors look up the erros on google, 99% of the time the fix is already there.

I have the consoles and a dedicated gaming PC, and if all games came out for it I would only game on PC. For around $700 you get better graphics/performance, Steam, mods, they are much cheaper, and my systems don't die like 3 of my 360's and my 1 launch PS3. Oh yeah I also don't have to pay for online service outside of normal internet costs.

I know people don't want to hear it but if you aren't technical you shouldn't be PC gaming. It's been the same way for years.

Holy shit. So am I reading it right that you can't even change it?

It isn't that bad once you get used to it reaching with your hand in the right way. In fact the control system really makes it a great game and no other options are needed

Shout outs to Kid Icarus fans

SparkTR

You know what's funny? There was a guy at work the other day indicating that he didn't know what the max parameter was for this other product's threads, so while he was talking I Googled it and showed him the answer.

So yeah, should have gone there first!

I don't think people understand how powerful of a tool Google actually is. When you call techsupport or similar services I can guarantee you they're on their own computers googling the issue and looking up old forums posts for solutions. If a game goes wrong don't bother with emailing their support staff, 5 minutes with google will make you more knowledgeable about the issue than the help desk ever will be.

Chiken

Neo Member
I bought maybe 5 games during the last Steam Summer Sale and have yet to finish them. I shouldn't buy any more but I just can't stop myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom