• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
MP3 $90
Spec Ops $70
Civ V GOTY $90

Looks like business as usual to me...
No, NO. How does this make sense? We are all untied in our lust for decent prices on games. This is shenanigans if it cost that much. I'm USA so, that is bullshit if that price comes up for euros. I'm an more than willing to help a fellow gamer out on decent prices if someone want to PM me. Granted, they'd have to PayPal me for compensation, but the crazy prices that are set for essentially everyone outside of the glorious US of A is shenanigans.

If it doesn't happen tomorrow I'm going to do a little happy dance at my desk around 10AM again.

This morning was awesome.

I feel like following the various threads about the summer sale is like its own E-Sport at this point.

Cheers,
Tony

I thought you said in a previous thread you didn't want all your sales to be first because last year people held off to wait for Steam's sale and missed yours? It seems like you guys are going to be extremely competitive, I would hate for people to hold off and miss out on things.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I thought you said in a previous thread you didn't want all your sales to be first because last year people held off to wait for Steam's sale and missed yours? It seems like you guys are going to be extremely competitive, I would hate for people to hold off and miss out on things.

I'm sure there's plenty of holdouts assuming Steam will beat Amazon just because it's Steam lol. Should be fun to see the rage since I doubt Steam will come anywhere near some of the current prices.

I'm sure there's plenty of holdouts assuming Steam will beat Amazon just because it's Steam lol. Should be fun to see the rage since I doubt Steam will come anywhere near some of the current prices.

There should never be rage ... only waiting for the next steam sale.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

On MP3, Syndicate, and Spec Ops, maybe. What else really screams "Steam can't top this"?

Nelo Ice

Banned
On MP3, Syndicate, and Spec Ops, maybe. What else really screams "Steam can't top this"?

Like I said some of the games like that and possibly MW3. Binary Domain and Darkness II are also candidates that may not be matched. Just like last Winter Amazon had Steam beat in some games even before the Winter sale. Off the top of my head SR3 was 50% off compared to the 33% or whatever Steam had. Though the THQ store had the best deal with 50% off+season pass.

edit:They also had Darkness II at the current price in early April when I picked it up.

Just because I don't want all our sales to be first doesn't mean I don't want our first sales to be super successful :). The lack of a sale at 10:00AM today definitely affected our sales velocity, I'd love to see that replicated again tomorrow.

As for upcoming sales, I'm still waiting to hear back from Square Enix and Sega, which will be our next round of what I consider "ZOMG AWESOME" deals.

Like you guys though, I have no idea when Steam is rolling out their Summer sale so I'm trying to balance getting the best deals in front of customers while measuring how many people are "waiting".

Cheers,
Tony

Freeman figure coming out. Not sure how I feel about the face.

http://lambdageneration.com/posts/necas-official-gordon-freeman-action-figure-revealed/

STNsI.jpg

Now we need a Gabe figure.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Christ man, literally all 6 of those games are console shooters.

What if you like any other genre besides that?

Your point being? I'm just pointing out it's ridiculous to wait for Steam for certain games when Amazon or really any other retailer often has em beat. Especially if they're steamworks or steam codes.

edit:Do you really hate any DD retailer besides Steam or something? I've been pointing out Amazon has reguarly shown that they can beat Steam at their own game for games they carry. And frankly other retailers have shown that they can beat Steam as well. From the sounds of it you hate the fact that people are jumping on deals for games they want now rather than waiting for a Steam sale to pop up.

Relax.MX

Mmm I really try to like it, I try but I can not ...i hate every second of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP...i miss something? i just want to finish the game to uninstall it

PD: The music is cool

Mmm I really try to like it, I try but I can not ...i hate every second of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP...i miss something? i just want to finish the game to uninstall it

PD: The music is cool

Yea I didn't like it either. Struggled all the way to the end and just uninstalled it. It's a pretentious, style over substance non-game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Saute onions and peppers till brown
Grill fajita meat till medium
quick heat tortilla
chop fresh tomato, cilantro, and mix with lemon/salt
shredd block sharp cheddar
Serve hot

Wash down with Dos Equis

fml how did I post this here ><

The steam iPhone app is pretty crappy. Doesn't even show the daily deals or any specials for me. Or am I missing something?

I know this is a few pages late but I use a different method than the others mentioned. I do News > Announcements
which gives you a clear "blog post" style viewing of daily deals/midweek madness/weekend deals.

Ledsen

Just bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition on GoG for $5.99. Pretty good deal. This will play through Steam, right? Also, does it have native 360 controller support?

I don't know if you're kidding, but the while point of gog is that everything is drm-free. So no steam. Also no controller support in the first game.

Forkball

So I bought LA Noire during the midweek deal and I'm really enjoying it. I can understand where a lot of the hate comes from, as the game is really a visual novel and not 1940s GTA. The cases don't wear out their welcome, as opposed to most adventure games where you are going for hours trying to figure something out and you're not even sure what your goal or purpose is.

So I bought LA Noire during the midweek deal and I'm really enjoying it. I can understand where a lot of the hate comes from, as the game is really a visual novel and not 1940s GTA. The cases don't wear out their welcome, as opposed to most adventure games where you are going for hours trying to figure something out and you're not even sure what your goal or purpose is.

You know where the hate comes from...dos haters dey gonna...

Cheers,
Tony

mannerbot

Pretty similar to ours except they have a client (Impulse) that you install.

Bringing me to my next point. I'll post the rest of the EA deals soon, we'll have Bulletstorm for $4.99 starting 7/8.

Cheers,
Tony

I'm guessing that Ubisoft isn't participating in these sales so there's no hope of Rayman Origins being a sale item?

Cade

Saute onions and peppers till brown
Grill fajita meat till medium
quick heat tortilla
chop fresh tomato, cilantro, and mix with lemon/salt
shredd block sharp cheddar
Serve hot

Wash down with Dos Equis

fml how did I post this here ><

This is the voodoo ritual to start the Summer Sale?

I'm off to pick up some fajita meat, guys.

I'm just pointing out it's ridiculous to wait for Steam for certain games when Amazon or really any other retailer often has em beat. Especially if they're steamworks or steam codes.

edit:Do you really hate any DD retailer besides Steam or something? I've been pointing out Amazon has reguarly shown that they can beat Steam at their own game for games they carry. And frankly other retailers have shown that they can beat Steam as well. From the sounds of it you hate the fact that people are jumping on deals for games they want now rather than waiting for a Steam sale to pop up.

Here's what you need to understand: People don't buy from Steam because they hate other retailers. They buy from Steam because they love Valve. Valve has been a massive positive force in PC gaming (and gaming in general I would argue), their practices are extremely pro-consumer and they are the ones responsible for kickstarting the whole "Mega Sale" phenomenon. I buy mainly from them because they deserve it, because I want to support them.

I do have a lot of respect though for other digital retailers like Amazon, GOG, Green Man Gaming and others. I like that they are providing competition for Steam and I will buy for them if a deal is too good to turn down.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Here's what you need to understand: People don't buy from Steam because they hate other retailers. They buy from Steam because they love Valve. Valve has been a massive positive force in PC gaming (and gaming in general I would argue), their practices are extremely pro-consumer and they are the ones responsible for kickstarting the whole "Mega Sale" phenomenon. I buy mainly from them because they deserve it, because I want to support them.

I do have a lot of respect though for other digital retailers like Amazon, GOG, Green Man Gaming and others. I like that they are providing competition for Steam and I will buy for them if a deal is too good to turn down.

I buy from whoever has the cheapest option and other reasons. Though I do prefer steam I usually don't mind if based on history I see that Steam won't have a certain game that cheap and theres no tangible benefits from getting the Steam version. I also find it crazy people love Valve that much. I enjoy getting the cheapest price more so than buying a premium or waiting for Steam just because I like Valve.

Salsa

I dont necesarelly think that's true. While "fanboyism" can obviously be something that helps with the numbers steam pulls, I still think people prefer it simply because its absolutely the best out there.

Each one of the other services has always one "flaw" that doesnt allow me to get the same experience I get on Steam.

Origin doesnt care about Latin America and they charge me RIDICULOUS prices, and Amazon doesnt let me use Paypal.

If they offered a solution to both these issues i'd be using their systems a lot more (not to say I dont use them when they offer the better deal)

edit: well okay maybe I wouldnt be using Origin anyway because it's a piece of shit and I hate them too much

Alex

I certainly don't buy from Steam because I love Valve. Valve is nice and all, and I like Steam and like to get as many games as possible on it, but whoever can give me the best deal is all I care about otherwise.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I dont necesarelly think that's true. While "fanboyism" can obviously be something that helps with the numbers steam pulls, I still think people prefer it simply because its absolutely the best out there.

Each one of the other services has always one "flaw" that doesnt allow me to get the same experience I get on Steam.

Origin doesnt care about Latin America and they charge me RIDICULOUS prices, and Amazon doesnt let me use Paypal.

If they offered a solution to both these issues i'd be using their systems a lot more (not to say I dont use them when they offer the better deal)

edit: well okay maybe I wouldnt be using Origin anyway because it's a piece of shit and I hate them too much

Well there's defintely Steam fanboys here that absolutely refuse to use anything but Steam and not just because they're the king of DD. Like countless times people ignore perfectly good indie games because o no it doesn't activate on steam=fuck that. Or like last year Amazon had Witcher 2 for $16 which is the cheapest I've seen it at but it was completely ignored for the most part since it wasn't on Steam. Valve gets the numbers they do because of how they operate but based on what I've seen here and other communities there is definitely a large contingent of people who flat out refuse to buy anything if it has no connection to Steam.

Salsa

Well there's defintely Steam fanboys here that absolutely refuse to use anything but Steam and not just because they're the king of DD. Like countless times people ignore perfectly good indie games because o no it doesn't activate on steam=fuck that. Or like last year Amazon had Witcher 2 for $16 which is the cheapest I've seen it at but it was completely ignored for the most part since it wasn't on Steam.

for sure, im not neglecting their existence, but I dont think it's a major issue. You always see good cheap games pull good numbers no matter where they at.

Minecraft had nothing but good word of mouth and look where it is

and to be fair there are justifiable reasons to prefer a game on Steam

Nelo Ice

Banned
I certainly don't buy from Steam because I love Valve. Valve is nice and all, and I like Steam and like to get as many games as possible on it, but whoever can give me the best deal is all I care about otherwise.

Same here unless I want certain steam features or I just don't like the service or how another random reason. I also just add games to steam and launch through there mainly so if someone messages me they can see that I'm on but I'm just playing a non steam game.

for sure, im not neglecting their existence, but I dont think it's a major issue. You always see good cheap games pull good numbers no matter where they at.

Minecraft had nothing but good word of mouth and look where it is

and to be fair there are justifiable reasons to prefer a game on Steam

Yeah I completely understand that and I do the same at times. I just find it crazy that people here love to shit on anything non steam because it's well not steam lol.

If that's the case I will wait!

Amazon > Gamestop all day everday

thanks Tony!

:)

I'm guessing that Ubisoft isn't participating in these sales so there's no hope of Rayman Origins being a sale item?

This is accurate

Also, on the Steam vs. Everyone else discussion:

I'll be the first to say, Valve has built an amazing platform for managing and playing games...one that I used before I worked in my current position and still use today.

They also built a phenomenal retail engine around it.

I've said it before and I will say it again. I don't care where our customers play their games, as long as they buy them from us and enjoy them :).

One thing I think we (Amazon) do better than anyone in the marketplace is provide world class customer support.

This is hard to fully appreciate until 2 things have happened though:

1. You've needed a world class CS team and your problem was solved very quickly and to your satisfaction

2. You've needed a world class CS team and it didn't exist

If you've ever been in one of those situations you can marginally understand the value of a robust Customer-Centric corporate culture (which is what Amazon is built on).

If you've experienced both then you REALLY get why it is important.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom