• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why the hell are the daily deals crap lately?

Although the Midweek Madness are good. Especially Rock of Ages.

Twinduct

So far since i got a new PC. Haven't been playing on PC for years. Everyone basks about how great Steam is, and "so far" i am not saying anything. Maybe the fabled Summer Sale will change that, but so far, it's shit, yes.

But this thread is pretty hilarious i must say, if you dare say bad things about Steam, you get jumped by the crowd of "regulars". Not the first time i see it happen in the last few days.

Anyway, i'm out of this thread.

Oh I though you were joking earlier lol.

ShaneB

Quoting myself to see if I get some assistance :p

Most people will tell you to stay the hell away from 4. As mentioned, 3 is generally seen as the best of those on Steam. Plenty of positive reception for RA3 as well, but it's that classic campy style that makes it different.

If you're only getting one, I think most will suggest C&C3.

edit:
Thank you for being the only one who payed attention to my question ;_;

cheer up chum! :p I answered it too!

Salsa

But this thread is pretty hilarious i must say, if you dare say bad things about Steam, you get jumped by the crowd of "regulars". Not the first time i see it happen in the last few days.

Fair, but it's not when you say something "bad", it's when you say something non-sensical.

Saying that Steam sucks and that the deals are "so shit" is kinda factually, objectively wrong man.

If you say something like "Steam support sucks" no one would jump on you cause you'd be right. I know most people here have a Steam hard-on (with good reason) but very few are blinded to the point of not acting within reason.

But Steam sales are "so shit" from someone who says has been on Steam since 2003.. c'mon son. I dont even think you could say that even counting the last few days you've been active. LA Noire dirt cheap, DOW collection, Driver San Francisco...

1-D_FTW

We just had Driver: San Fran for $7.50. I jumped on that. Really, the dailies just need to hit a game you want. Depending on what you already own and what your interests are, those odds can cary quite a bit. But the dailies aren't bad, by definition.

Right. I'm not saying they're bad either. I also jumped on Driver. I'm just saying they're not the summer sales and people need to chill out when the Daily Deal isn't what they want. Daily Deals are little pleasant surprises you get every once and again. But most of the time they're there to be laughed at and provide entertainment value.

HoosTrax

Especially Rock of Ages.
It's got a unique art direction, but gameplay-wise, it felt to me like racing a tractor trailer around a mountain trail with hairpin turns. Oddly enough, this is one of the few games that I feel like might actually benefit from motion controls, since that boulder doesn't exactly turn precisely on a dime anyway.

Edit: Also, it's weird seeing someone who probably barely has much of a Steam library acting jaded about Steam sales. When you own hundreds of games and every sale is for something you already own, then you have the right to act jaded, dagnabbit!

sazzy

So far since i got a new PC. Haven't been playing on PC for years. Everyone basks about how great Steam is, and "so far" i am not saying anything. Maybe the fabled Summer Sale will change that, but so far, it's shit, yes.

its best to not rile up the valve-obsessed horde :)

Blizzard

Banned

If "shit" describes Steam service, that's bizarre as it's been pretty good for years. You can download games easily, some have cloud saves, speeds are decent, etc. How is that "shit"?

If sales are your qualifier, that's beyond laughable if you consider the past two summer sales and the past two winter sales alone (even ignoring other special event sales). You do not appear to have mentioned which PC games you wanted to go on sale, and what the prices were that you would not consider "shit", so frankly your posts come across as drive-by-trolling, emphasized by the "Anyway, i'm out of this thread" closing line. If you honestly didn't intend that, then all you have to do is ask about the particular games you are interested in, and we can see about pulling price numbers for you from previous sales.

But overall, "shit" is just a crazy term to use, and I'd like to think I'm not even any sort of rabid Valve fan. Steam has basically been the best service, one of the best things for PC gaming, and had some of if not the best prices over the past several years. If that's "shit" then what is everything else?

SparkTR

It's probably because these people have experienced the previous Summer Sales unlike you, within a week or so you'll understand.

Most people will tell you to stay the hell away from 4. As mentioned, 3 is generally seen as the best of those on Steam. Plenty of positive reception for RA3 as well, but it's that classic campy style that makes it different.

If you're only getting one, I think most will suggest C&C3.

Great. Whats the difference gameplay wise from red Alert 3 to 3?

And thanks for replying too :)

I think the Steam client is spectacularly shitty and apparently support isn't much better (never had a serious problem myself), but there are no better PC gaming deals than on Steam. And the only reason you have ever seen anything more than 30% off any game anywhere in the last couple of years is because of competition from Steam.

GOG.com has great deals on very old games but they're not really serving the same markets in that regard.

ShaneB

Great. Whats the difference gameplay wise from red Alert 3 to 3?

That I don't know. :p I haven't played a C&C/RA game in years, so I have no idea how far they've branched off. I did buy C&C3 however during my first steam sale, and still didn't get around to playing it... typical!

I'm sure it'll get asked many times here which to buy, so just keep looking out for opinions :)

Are any of these c&c games worth it and if so which one(s). I've been wanting a RTS game
meh. Played every C&C, but everything after Generals isn't that much fun. Avoid C&C 4 like the plague and between RA3 and C&C 3, pick C&C 3. RA3 mixes naval and land in a weird way. But C&C 3 has those annoying aliens...

That I don't know. :p I haven't played a C&C/RA game in years, so I have no idea how far they've branched off. I did buy C&C3 however during my first steam sale, and still didn't get around to playing it... typical!

I'm sure it'll get asked many times here which to buy, so just keep looking out for opinions :)

I will. Thanks.

IMO, the best part of steam sales are the events. Great incentive for playing your games and getting your friends on Steam.

The discounts are great too, but most of us already have +200 games.

I'm not going to jump on you, but I certainly don't understand your criteria and it seems like an extremely lame rhetorical trick to say, "I think x sucks, but I'm not sticking around to hear anybody say anything otherwise."

Steam has the best laid out store and amazing community features. Way more in-depth statistics about what your friends and members of community are doing than Xbox Live or PSN. You can track how much play time, compare achievements, look at what you friends have purchased or added to wish lists and compare and contrast just about any stat you want. The gifting and trading system is second to none. Nothing even like it on consoles.

And in game guide is the most robust of all. The voice chat and messaging system is incredibly slick interface. Carry on multiple conversations with tab browse chat while in game, party chat. Even in an game web browser for looking up FAQs.

Auto-updates for all games, even links to videocard driver updates. It makes just about everything about PC gaming as painless as possible and it's extremely customizable in terms of what info you get notified about.

I honestly have no idea what you would think is "shit" or what you are comparing it to. I was pretty much exclusively an Xbox Live Gold user from system launch until last year and I can't think of a single thing Live does better except maybe the universal "demo for every game" thing.

The biggest reason is Gabe.

Your not helping.

RXmEo.jpg

BioHazard

I BETTER not see people talking trash bout my daily deals being "shit" How else am I gonna get more games with good discounts that aren't huge name titles? You can only buy the Valve Complete pack or Civ V so many times...

Megasoum

Banned
No Test Drive: Ferrari Legend today :(

The game is coming out on consoles today and it was added to the registry a couple of weeks ago. But, for some reasons, Atari stopped talking about the PC version. I have no idea what's the actually release date now.

InertiaXr

I'm ok with there being no summer sale, but if Gabe screws with my winter sale, there will be hell to pay!

Why are people saying things like this? There has been tons of 'Summer 2012' packs added to the registry, the 'i dont think there is a summer sale' spam should stop.

It will come, be patient. Go buy some FPSs from Amazon in the meantime.

kafiend

Over the last day or so this thread has taken more illogical turns and introduced more spurious evidence than a LA Noire suspect interrogation.

sazzy

Why are people saying things like this? There has been tons of 'Summer 2012' packs added to the registry, the 'i dont think there is a summer sale' spam should stop.

It will come, be patient. Go buy some FPSs from Amazon in the meantime.

According to the Amazon deals thread OP, there's more than just FPS's with great deals. I dunno maybe its just that I can read or something :s

Over the last day or so this thread has taken more illogical turns and introduced more spurious evidence than a LA Noire suspect interrogation.

I believe you...you sure you're telling us the whole story......you know what you're going down you filthy liar!

Nabs

Square Hit Collection (Summer 2012)
Paradox Collection (Summer 2012)

They are slowly preparing for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom