• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

right so...

Should I finish Rage? I played about 3 hours of it and got bored of having to race back and forth and make things, I have been meaning to reinstall and finish it, is it worth it?

Same thing for Skyrim, is the main quest worth completing? I got like 10 hours worth of just wandering around and got bored like I do with all ES games.

yes to both

ghostmind

Can we just starting posting pictures of puppies and kittens? This thread needs some cheering up.

hang_in_there_kitty-thumb-250x332.jpg

Mr_eX

How is it rude? He is posting about Amazon sales in a handful of big community forums.. why is it so weird for me to deduct that he is a PR mouthpiece? Isn't he?

It's nice to know when there's a good sale going on somewhere, but isn't it the community's job to figure that out and post about it here? I'd love to see the reaction if Origin Jake suddenly started posting in the Amazon Deals thread.

Anyway, moving on..

This post makes me think of the Lonely Island song about throwing stuff on the ground.

Also my name is Jake. I'm going to apply for Origin PR mouthpiece job now. Will report back.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
sorry for going off topic, but i really want to address Tony's presence on GAF. I created an account on here because of tony, because i was surprised that GAF had an industry insider bending backwards trying to address all the community's questions and wants.

I learned, through GAF again, that he post on several websites, like CAG, but the way he talks to us, doesn't feel like some generic response, but he really sounded like he was part of the community. He sounds like a pretty mellow and cool guy, and if he is faking us out so we can buy his game, he is damn good at his job. The guy is dedicated, either to gamers or to his job, but such passion is very hard to fake imo. I've seem tony answer questions all the way to night time around 11:30 PST, so i don't think he is posting during office hours.

if hes just doing this to peddle his wares, i'm fine with that, i wish all salesmen could feign such interest in their customers.

legacyzero

Banned
sorry for going off topic, but i really want to address Tony's presence on GAF. I created an account on here because of tony, because i was surprised that GAF had an industry insider bending backwards trying to address all the community's questions and wants.

I learned, through GAF again, that he post on several websites, like CAG, but the way he talks to us, doesn't feel like some generic response, but he really sounded like he was part of the community. He sounds like a pretty mellow and cool guy, and if he is faking us out so we can buy his game, he is damn good at his job. The guy is dedicated, either to gamers or to his job, but such passion is very hard to fake imo. I've seem tony answer questions all the way to night time around 11:30 PST, so i don't think he is posting during office hours.

if hes just doing this to peddle his wares, i'm fine with that, i wish all salesmen could feign such interest in their customers.
/discussion.

Your post nailed it

Detox

let's post things that make Gabe happy:

hand20holding20knife1.jpg

What? He collects knives. Lots and lots of knives, apparently.

And keeps them around in the office.... brrr, the horrors of working at Valve. I cannot imagine. :p

The knife in CS:GO is so bland considering they could just walk into Gabe's office and choose from hundreds to base it on.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Just picked up Command and Conquer 4 for 5.00. Heard it sucks from multiple sources, but thought what the hell, it's 5 bucks.

This is the last time I'll comment on my presence here, because it is really off topic and polarizing, which is not my goal.

Several months ago, a 'Gaf member who also hangs out on CAG (will let him identify himself if he so chooses), started the Amazon DD thread. I'm not sure who reached out to who but, because I'm a long time lurker here, I was excited to see the community showing interest in what we were doing.

Over the course of several months I started emailing this member our deals directly, and answering questions people had in thread so that he could answer them.

At one point my account was approved and I started answering questions in that thread directly, still providing the member with updated deals to update his OP.

I cleared this activity with the Mods first.

Then, last week, several members of the Amazon DD (or summer sale thread) asked that I add an avatar, and photoshopped one up for me to use, unbeknownst to me, I was also given a tag.

"Cheers,
Tony"

is a signature I've used professionally and personally for the past 5 years (since entering the workforce).

The only reason I started posting in this thread is because many members of this thread were posting questions about the deals we were running that were either going unanswered or incorrectly answered.

Again, it seems (based on the dozens of pages of posts about the lack of a Steam sale and no communication about when one might come) that there is a large appetite for direct communication with the people who help make decisions regarding what will be going on proportionally in the industry, but a lot of hostility towards this actual communication, something which I find odd.

Following up on some other questions/comments in this thread:

1. I've said this before and I will say it again, if "Origin Jake", or more to the point, James from GMG, wanted to post in the Amazon thread, I would welcome the discussion...because discussion is healthy and it should be fun for you to get to interact with as many people who actually work in the games industry as possible.

2. Yes Salsa I have feelings, no they are not hurt during conversations like this

3. Rage got a lot of hate, I loved it, if it is on sale and you're thinking about it you should pick it up.

4. Someone asked for a picture of puppies and kittens. Here is a picture of my puppy:

http://imgur.com/eDUTp

That's all I've got, sorry for those that were bothered/offended by the derailing of the thread. Hope we can all get along :).

Cheers,
Tony

Salsa

2. Yes Salsa I have feelings, no they are not hurt during conversations like this

Tony we must rewire you

we can do it, we have the technology

you became the escapegoat for people losing their minds because of no sales yet, I wouldn't worry about it, it'll blow over soon enough

Sysgen

Amazon is not a direct Steam competitor like Origin. In fact, like 95% of the games Tony has been talking about are ones that activate on Steam. Getting people to download and use Steam is a boon to them as well.

There's a Chinese Wall of sorts between the Steam digital rights management system and the Steam retail store. Amazon recently has recognized this, read the market and adjusted. They offer Steam keys where other digital retailers won't or haven't yet. It's a smart move because it gives them a leg up on other digital retailers. If other digital retailers were smart they would follow the Amazon lead.

Tess3ract

Banned
Tony you should try signing up at Something Awful. The community there would love to give you some good feedback and discourse and we don't really have dumb situations like this.

Bulzeeb

Hum. The scapegoat. Escapegoat is a game based on a meme.

and it is awesome you should play it, btw I can't understand all this hostility against Tony, so far he seems like a nice dude who happens to keep us up to date with a lot of great gaming deals and in some cases creating new ones due to fan base demands

Derrick01

Banned

You joined just because of Tony? That's...I don't even know. Impressive I guess? Tony seems like a cool guy and while we're all obviously on the internet here I don't get the "feeling" that he's being fake. I don't see what he would gain by that, no one's buying stuff just because they like Tony (I think), they're buying because of the insane deals that get put up. Being nice and doing bonus stuff to fix whatever problem a customer has is just going the extra mile and is greatly appreciated.

All I'll say is EA could use some people like him in the higher up positions, like in charge of running Origin's deals.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Didn't mean to derail the thread like that. At least we got Origin Jake out of it?

Just so you know, NeoGAF is filled with people from developers, publishers, online stores. It's generally fine to pimp your own stuff as long as you make it clear who you are. And just so you know - being banned while being a junior member automatically becomes a perm ban. This is to prevent juniors thinking they can say jack shit without thinking.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Y'all need lives. I'm ashamed to post here now.

not actually. But for reals everyone just chill the fuck out.

Email Gabe a link to this thread, he'll bring reason to the plebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom