• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Has anyone tried this yet? :

Steam Control 360

Video here

info here:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74531/community-spotlight-steam-control-360
http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=28430447#item_28430447

basically it lets you navigate the Steam libary with your 360 pad and launch games:

iSCQsEqI174ej.jpg

seemed to not work for me :|

nexen

Yeah, don't be fooled by the JRPG/Zelda trappings.
WizOrb is 95% arkanoid, 5% JRPG/Zelda.

Still a good game and well worth that price but a bit of a missed opportunity.

Gav47

Has anyone tried this yet? :

seemed to not work for me :|

Just tried it now, loaded to a blank screen the first time and then proceeded to crash the 360 controller's driver but it worked after I disconnected and reconnect the it (wired USB). It'd be nice if the bumpers or triggers could be used for PgUp and PgDown, the scrolling is kinda slow.

Just popping in to thank Fare Godmace for the Prey key. Top notch person.

Thank you for Penny Arcade Episode 3! I thought it was Steamplay, but sadly it isn't the case :( Oh well, I loved the first two, so I'll play this... Eventually

Anyways, somehow I also got Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World. Theorically it's a gift for PA purchases before the 2th of July, so I don't know what happened. First quote gets both.

EDIT: vvvvv Check your PMs

Nuborn

Thank you for Penny Arcade Episode 3! I thought it was Steamplay, but sadly it isn't the case :( Oh well, I loved the first two, so I'll play this... Eventually

Anyways, somehow I also got Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World. First quote gets both.

Edit: Cheers for that, been thinking about picking them up for ages

Wok

Hmmmmmm…

lNYoP.png

Had heard Resonance got delayed due to some kind of mix up and possibly because of Steam sale, Resonance is on sale July 25th.

Here's what's in the indie bundles for each day, spoilered in case people would rather wait and be surprised:

Indie Bundle Day 1 -
There will be cake.
[...]
Indie Bundle Day 11 -
The cake is a lie.

Sales typically last about 11 days. And there's always an indie bundle each day.

It should have been yesterday. Today is still possible, Gabe. Do it.

51Zfu.png

I surrender. The Killing Floor banner is consistent with the end date of an 11-day summer sales event.

Never plan your holidays based on the expected dates of summer sales. Or make sure you have an Internet access there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Never use GamersGate. What a shit service.

Bought 2 copies of The Secret World 3 days ago, one for me, and one for a friend. I gifted my friend a copy. I went to use my own copy but noticed it said "giftable copy only" so I figured I must have somehow gifted him my personal copy. Whatever...I send it to my own e-mail. I never get the e-mail. There's no option to re-gift the copy, or to cancel the gift. The game is essentially lost in limbo.

I sent in a support ticket 3 days ago. Still no response. Absolutely atrocious service. I asked for a refund and bought the game on GreenManGaming. If they don't give me a refund, I'll do a charge back.

Never again.

PaulLFC

Bought 2 copies of The Secret World 3 days ago, one for me, and one for a friend. I gifted my friend a copy. I went to use my own copy but noticed it said "giftable copy only" so I figured I must have somehow gifted him my personal copy. Whatever...I send it to my own e-mail. I never get the e-mail. There's no option to re-gift the copy, or to cancel the gift. The game is essentially lost in limbo.

I sent in a support ticket 3 days ago. Still no response. Absolutely atrocious service. I asked for a refund and bought the game on GreenManGaming. If they don't give me a refund, I'll do a charge back.

Never again.
Isn't Gamersgate the site that sometimes makes you wait for your download while they check your order as well? I remember a few people having those problems with a DD service, think it was Gamersgate.

I think the only thing I bought from there was the ridiculously cheap D&D RPG Collection.

Bizorb wought.

Btw: Since Riddick Assault on Dark Athena was released on GOG without DRM I hope they'll remove it from the Steam version as well. It certainly wouldn't kill them ffs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Damn, I still have $5 in my GMG account.

Hitman Abs is would also be 33.75$ with the coupon.

So Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Abs for 30$ and 33.75$. Day 1 for people.

To think, that is half of what console gamers are picking it up.

gabbo

Never again.

Odd, never had such a problem with GamersGate. Send them an email, see if that will get their attention quicker.

I know building a PC can be expensive but it really does pay for itself after a couple of years or so if you're the kind of gamer to buy new releases when they come out.

MRORANGE

Just tried it now, loaded to a blank screen the first time and then proceeded to crash the 360 controller's driver but it worked after I disconnected and reconnect the it (wired USB). It'd be nice if the bumpers or triggers could be used for PgUp and PgDown, the scrolling is kinda slow.

Ah, I might give this solution a go, thanks!

I set up XBMC, it works with all games (not just Steam) and downloads metadata.

Yeah I've used XBMC for films before, not sure I need something that advance yet just for games.

One of these days I really gotta write GMG support and ask them whether they can change my currency from € to $. We don't pay in € in Switzerland ffs :(

I know building a PC can be expensive but it really does pay for itself after a couple of years or so if you're the kind of gamer to buy new releases when they come out.

Doesnt take that long if you use it for work as well. Even buying not-so-new games you are saving a bunch over buying the used console versions.

Lies! PCs cost $8'000-10'000 and you need to upgrade every two days unless you want them to rip off your balls and kill your entire family.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So is Wizorb actually good? I know it's only $1.50 but people around here gushed about Shatter too and aside from the music and visuals the game was 31 flavors of poop.

Lies! PCs cost $8'000-10'000 and you need to upgrade every two days unless you want them to rip off your balls and kill your entire family.

And that's if you're lucky!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

But also double what either of those games would be by next summer's Steam Sale, with the bonus of potentially avoiding a megaton turd sandwich if the games suck.

Blizzard

Banned
So is Wizorb actually good? I know it's only $1.50 but people around here gushed about Shatter too and aside from the music and visuals the game was 31 flavors of poop.

I strongly disagree about Shatter. Even aside from the music, I think the game is quite decent, with one of the the few downsides being the slight screen shaking for me, and some things depending on luck (whether certain powerups spawn).

I have a lot of high scores of varying degrees in Shatter, and probably a lot of playtime, too. If you have criticisms of it, it might be helpful to share exactly what bothered you than to merely make a poop comparison. :p

But also double what either of those games would be by next summer's Steam Sale, with the bonus of potentially avoiding a megaton turd sandwich if the games suck.

That's been my motto for quite some time and it works very well. I'm always "behind" on games but end up saving a fortune in the long run.

To put it into perspective, I'm just now playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I only spent $5ish on it. It's just as fantastic now as it was when it originally came out.

Wok

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I strongly disagree about Shatter. Even aside from the music, I think the game is quite decent, with one of the the few downsides being the slight screen shaking for me, and some things depending on luck (whether certain powerups spawn).

I have a lot of high scores of varying degrees in Shatter, and probably a lot of playtime, too. If you have criticisms of it, it might be helpful to share exactly what bothered you than to merely make a poop comparison. :p

It was the main mechanic that I hated. In fact the main mechanic is the best way to describe my experience with Shatter: when it didn't suck it blew.

kafiend

For the money it's a must buy. But be warned its one of those games that while you will certainly enjoy it you will probably be thinking after an hour or so that while its great it so easily could have fantastic.

Its a lot of Arkanoid style goodness with some rpg-lite style stuff slapped on top. If a little more solid RPG was present in between the Arkanoid play it truly would have been excellent.

But anyway, for the cost go buy it and be entertained for a few hours. There's certainly your money's worth and then some.

That's been my motto for quite some time and it works very well. I'm always "behind" on games but end up saving a fortune in the long run.

To put it into perspective, I'm just now playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I only spent $5ish on it. It's just as fantastic now as it was when it originally came out.

I'm tempted to post that XKCD comic but it's been played to death.

I also agree. "Day 1" purchases only for special stuff that I'm 99.9% sure I'll enjoy.

Jive Turkey said:
It was the main mechanic that I hated. In fact the main mechanic is the best way to describe my experience with Shatter: when it didn't suck it blew.

I disagree but this is a thing of beauty.

Blizzard

Banned
Then I think that's a personal thing. I liked the main mechanic, and I thought it added a degree of control that was a welcome variation on the normal breakout formula, making it less about sitting there idly until you get just the right angle to finish a corner block.

So if your question becomes "Does Wizorb contain a suck/blow mechanic to influence the ball", hopefully someone can respond about that. :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Not picking up either for that very reason. Heh.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was 10$ by Christmas on Amazon and GamersGate, I expect Sleeping Dogs to be the same, and Hitman to be the same by next Summer.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So if your question becomes "Does Wizorb contain a suck/blow mechanic to influence the ball", hopefully someone can respond about that. :p

That wasn't exactly my question. My question is more like "are the RPG elements as horrid as the gravity manipulation mechanic in Shatter?"

Exuro

They will have native split-screen co-op on PC as soon as Big Picture Mode hits.

So never.
Did Valve confirm this? It's something I would assume they would do when BPM comes out and would love to have coop in these games without having to fiddle with console commands.

Ledsen

I agree, I bought Shatter and it was a pretty bland Breakout with great music.

Did Valve confirm this? It's something I would assume they would do when BPM comes out and would love to have coop in these games without having to fiddle with console commands.

Nah, they never really commented on that but it'd be a bit stupid if they didn't include it. It's coming for sure.

Rapstah

yep as well as L4D1

also throw in Bionic Commando Rearmed into that list.

I played L4D's a little but that was hardly native. You had to screw around with a ton of configuration files and it was patched at some point after which I couldn't use it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom