• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell you what, if no one gets the achievement within a week it's all yours.

(the week is for any new players that can do it following to the previous rules listed)
Sounds good to me. People who don't have this achievement need to experience the pleasures of being gunned at with a chopper while trying to juggle tossing a gnome ahead of you and driving in spurts to pick it back up.

HoosTrax

Thanks for the quick response guys!

<,<

I don't know what this means yet, but I'll make sure and remember it!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
Stealth is perfectly viable and satisfying for the vast majority of scenarios, except for several situations where it's not an option...(this is not an issue with Missing Link where stealth is viable 100% of the time I think). So there will be several instances where you'll need to use a heavier weapon like the game's FAMAS assault rifle clone.

- Hacking is very useful, but I would avoid wasting points on Hacking: Analyze and Hacking: Fortify -- focus on Hacking: Capture and Hacking: Stealth instead.

- CASIE can be useful, but mostly to avoid having to do trial and error -- not essential otherwise

- Arm: Move/Throw Heavy Objects, Leg: Jump Enhancement, and Icarus Landing System -- these are all more useful than you might suspect at first because they allow you to reach areas that are hard to access otherwise, to get loot

- Quicksilver Reflex Booster: Multiple Take-Down - if you're focusing on a stealth build, you should consider taking this. Without it, if you encounter two enemies standing next to each other, you will alert one of them if you try to stealth take-down the other.

MRORANGE

Nice. I'm interested in that game but I'm going to wait for impressions from GAF.

well here's one reason why I like it:

iWpkspOBezPer.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stealth is perfectly viable and satisfying for the vast majority of scenarios, except for several situations where it's not an option...(this is not an issue with Missing Link where stealth is viable 100% of the time I think). So there will be several instances where you'll need to use a heavier weapon like the game's FAMAS assault rifle clone.

- Hacking is very useful, but I would avoid wasting points on Hacking: Analyze and Hacking: Fortify -- focus on Hacking: Capture and Hacking: Stealth instead.

- CASIE can be useful, but mostly to avoid having to do trial and error -- not essential otherwise

- Arm: Move/Throw Heavy Objects, Leg: Jump Enhancement, and Icarus Landing System -- these are all more useful than you might suspect at first because they allow you to reach areas that are hard to access otherwise, to get loot

- Quicksilver Reflex Booster: Multiple Take-Down - if you're focusing on a stealth build, you should consider taking this. Without it, if you encounter two enemies standing next to each other, you will alert one of them if you try to stealth take-down the other.

Thank you so much for the detailed answers HoosTrax, I'll get right into it and I'll follow your advice! Writing all of it down on notepad :3

Planning on playing Deus Ex after I'm completely done with Bastion... does anyone know a good "build"? Can I play 100% stealth + hacking?

Don't spend any points to upgrade hacking, once you figure it out it's easy. Hacking + Stealth also gives you extra XP thus letting you max out your abilities quicker; you'll be a demigod by the end of the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't spend any points to upgrade hacking, once you figure it out it's easy. Hacking + Stealth also gives you extra XP thus letting you max out your abilities quicker; you'll be a demigod by the end of the game.
But I thought some hacks requires like lvl6 hacking and the only way of actually unlocking it would be to level up your hacking abilities? posting from phone, sorry for formalating this like shit!

HoosTrax

But I thought some hacks requires like lvl6 hacking and the only way of actually unlocking it would be to level up your hacking abilities? posting from phone, sorry for formalating this like shit!
Yeah not sure what he's talking about, but you won't even have the option of hacking higher security systems without putting some points into Hacking: Capture. And without some points in Hacking: Stealth, your success rate, especially with high level nodes, will be minuscule.

He might mean taking an alternate approach, like finding passwords on PDAs and things like that -- personally I like to manually hack everything and take every node I can.

kafiend

Yeah not sure what he's talking about, but you won't even have the option of hacking higher security systems without putting some points into Hacking: Capture. And without some points in Hacking: Stealth, your success rate, especially with high level nodes, will be minuscule.

There really isn't a right and wrong way to it. I went very much stealthy orientated and there were the infuriating bits where the game surprises you with combat required sections but that aside I loved the creeping around :)

Rufus

He might mean taking an alternate approach, like finding passwords on PDAs and things like that -- personally I like to manually hack everything and take every node I can.
You can get by without hacking (especially with the augs that allow you to take different routes), but it's easier to just hack a computer/door when you come across it, even though passwords are strewn about like litter just about everywhere.

There really isn't a right and wrong way to it. I went very much stealthy orientated and there were the infuriating bits where the game surprises you with combat required sections but that aside I loved the creeping around :)
Just the boss fights, of which there are four including the last boss.

oipic

Thanks, Hoos - I'm about to start with DX:HR as well, so this is very relevant to me and how I'd like to tackle the game as well. Cheers!

As always with such games, I get a little stressed about speccing myself into a corner, and choosing options that inadvertently go against the grain of how I'm looking to play (and I almost always err on the side of stealth if given the option).

Is Missing Link the only re-spec opportunity?

gdt

Keep an eye out for GMG deals on Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders II.

I got SD for $30, and DSII for $37. And they launch on the same fucking day. Woah.

I think Dark Souls is the week after as well. Daaaaaaamn.

HoosTrax

Thanks, Hoos - I'm about to start with DX:HR as well, so this is very relevant to me and how I'd like to tackle the game as well. Cheers!

As always with such games, I get a little stressed about speccing myself into a corner, and choosing options that inadvertently go against the grain of how I'm looking to play (and I almost always err on the side of stealth if given the option).

Is Missing Link the only re-spec opportunity?
If you're fairly thorough in your playthrough, then you'll have plenty of Praxis points to spend. Between that and the fact that there are various augmentations that are just not very useful at all, you shouldn't be hurting too much as far as being able to spend points on what you're interested in.

But, no, no respeccing.

From the Wikia page:
Activating all augments requires 68 Praxis points. There are 21 Praxis kits in the game total available through exploration, from LIMB clinics and as side-quest rewards. It means that 47 additional points are necessary to unlock all available augmentations &#8212; a total of 235,000 experience points. Without the bonus mission from the Explosive Mission Pack DLC there is a maximum of 238,470 XP in the game and 241,970 XP with it, so in either case it is indeed possible to get all augmentations by the end of the game.

Sianos

The best augs to me were high jump and the icarus landing system. <3

Tried to play Missing Link without them, had to restart because they are so good!

Other notes:

Kill the first main boss by throwing something similar to his name at him.

Upgrade Typhoon to cheese through boss fights.

see5harp

I'm sure this has been addressed many times in the past, but why does every single game require a Direct x install. If anything the Steam sale has reminded me of how irritating PC gaming can be at times.

oipic

If you're fairly thorough in your playthrough, then you'll have plenty of Praxis points to spend. Between that and the fact that there are various augmentations that are just not very useful at all, you shouldn't be hurting too much as far as being able to spend points on what you're interested in.

But, no, no respeccing.

From the Wikia page:

Awesome, thanks mate! Great info to have. Had considered trawling the wiki for some tips like this, but was a little wary of spoiling things for myself. Cheers again.

Had until now denied myself DX:HR while I worked through some backlog, but pretty bloody excited about getting started with it. The original is right up there in my favourites list.

vanty

I'm sure this has been addressed many times in the past, but why does every single game require a Direct x install. If anything the Steam sale has reminded me of how irritating PC gaming can be at times.
It's not actually installing Direct X I think, it just says that while checking if you have the required version.

EDIT: Or maybe not ahah...

NZNova

In order to allow you the freedom to enjoy a platform like PC where you might not necessarily have DirectX installed, because you are afforded a lot more control over your system than a console would allow, games must check whether you have it installed or not before they run otherwise they won't work. The DirectX "installer" just checks that you have it installed, sees that you do, and quits.

Smash88

Banned
This is so depressing....

This thread is almost dead, no activity, no life. It's sad to see all the awesome giveaways, people talking, complaining, crying, hoping, pleading.... all gone.

sigh

This is so depressing....

This thread is almost dead, no activity, no life. It's sad to see all the awesome giveaways, people talking, complaining, crying, hoping, pleading.... all gone.

sigh

I know, people might actually have to play all of those games they just bought. What's up with that?

Derrick01

Banned
Sleeping Dogs has a lot of upcoming DLC packs (registry), but one that looks interesting is a free one called the HiRes DLC.

I hope this means we're getting high resolution textures.

I just want the game to run good. These GTA-like games give my computer fits when it comes to getting 60 fps without butchering settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom