• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got no issue with GFWL, but I respect the fact that many do. I'm trying to figure out whether Battle vs Chess uses it or not. The retail version does, but on Steam it makes no mention of it. However, it says there is cross-platform play. If it's not GFWL, it can't be the 360, so it would need to be PS3? If it's the PS3, they've done one hell of a backflip. lol. The more likely scenario is that it does infact use GFWL but doesn't mention it or that the cross-platform tag is a mistake.

I can see refunds on the cards.

I can put up with GFWL, but if it's locked at 30fps that's a deal breaker.

Yeah, DF is not too good at optimizing games on PC or the 360. Hope it's not a bad port. The 360 version ran pretty terrible as it is.

I don't really care about GFWL I can take it or leave it.

I've got no issue with GFWL, but I respect the fact that many do. I'm trying to figure out whether Battle vs Chess uses it or not. The retail version does, but on Steam it makes no mention of it. However, it says there is cross-platform play. If it's not GFWL, it can't be the 360, so it would need to be PS3? If it's the PS3, they've done one hell of a backflip. lol. The more likely scenario is that it does infact use GFWL but doesn't mention it or that the cross-platform tag is a mistake.

It's GFWL, but no idea about the steam version. Cross platform probably means MAC and PC in this case, since it is Steamplay.

Nabs

I'm going to guess it just means you can play against Mac users.

Soi-Fong

Rage for 6.79 in game fly and I'm still having a hard time justifying it just because of the performance issues I've been hearing. Shit, also need to see if exCeed is worth getting.

HoosTrax

I'm trying to figure out whether Battle vs Chess uses it or not.
I kind of glossed over this game on the new releases page until you mentioned it (Chess...we're never seen a game based on this...zzz). Looks more interesting than it sounds, kind of like Heroes of Might and Magic with chess rules, and the Holy Griffin Empire as white, and Inferno as black. But the possibility of GFWL...meh. Too bad, looks interesting enough.

Anyone wanna be awesome and buy me RAGE from GameFly ? Just tried to buy it myself and its telling me my cards expiration date has to be in the future, even though its later this month :/ Can bank transfer/paypal gift you the money back :)

gdt

Rage ran pretty awesome for me. But it had a very strange and persistent issue with loading textures/tearing. Basically, it would tear like a mother when ever you entered a new area (room/arean/town, etc) but would go away within about a minute, after it was done loading everything, I think.

Yeah "Soulless" is a really good way to put it. As a game it's just fairly hollow. And it goes on for entirely too long. The town hubs felt lifeless as well.
I liked the hubs but yeah, the game felt so "me too" in today's landscape of shooter. I don't care how many easter eggs and references to their glory days the game has, the game itself lacks any kind of identity.

Also is there something wrong with Steam's store? I'm trying to get TQ Gold here but it's given me the "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." for the last bit. Every time I've tried to checkout it's asked me to log in again, and sometimes it fails even when I get my password right.

HoosTrax

Are these Genuine? Or yellow?

header_292x136.jpg

gdt

Speaking of Costume Quest:

Just finished it, fun game. Love the costumes/powers, but the best part of the game is the humor and writing. Very, very, very simplified RPG, it'd be really good for kids.

Hopefully we get a sequel, the DLC ended on a cliffhanger.

How did it do for DF?

Nabs

I knew Stacking was unlocked. That's strange, because I googled Costume Quest to see how it worked with 3D Vision, and it came back with hits about being 30fps locked.

You just have to disable Vsync and pause the game once. Both games will shoot up to 60. Stacking also has an FOV slider and a ton of options as well.

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned, but I'd expect Trenched to make an appearance in the store soon. There are a few people (I'd imagine Double Fine employees) who already have the game on their gamercard - as of two weeks ago. Oh yeah, the IP is owned by Microsoft so GFWL it is. It looks like the Martian Bear expansion will be bundled in with the game too, not sold as DLC.

Seems in line with the other Double Fine downloadable games. I'm in though. Just wrapped up Stacking, and while I think I like Costume Quest a bit more, it was still a ridiculously charming experience.

neoism

Fucking gamestop jesus. All I wanted was a steam card for $50 This fucking guy said I should look for a game to up my credit. I didn't want a game for any system. After looking for 10 minutes I said fuck it I just want my steam card. I had 40 dollars from other game trade ins, and he said I didn't have anything pre-ordered.I siad Yes I DO! Had to look for 10 more minutes or more, finally finding my borderlands 2 pre-order. Then I say I want to use the 40 plus and the 20 or so I got from the games I brought today.He gives me my card and 10 bones becasue I refused to put it on another game. As he hands me my shit, he says it really hurts us and the person who pre-ordered the game for you when you canel, in a really saracstic way. I was like WTF guy.... I really wanted to fucking curse him out...
Fucking Gamestop... thankfully he gave me the other 10 so NEVER a fucking gain will I go there ....

Derrick01

Banned
Fucking gamestop jesus. All I wanted was a steam card for $50 This fucking guy said I should look for a game to up my credit. I didn't want a game for any system. After looking for 10 minutes I said fuck it I just want my steam card. I had 40 dollars from other game trade ins, and he said I didn't have anything pre-ordered.I siad Yes I DO! Had to look for 10 more minutes or more, finally finding my borderlands 2 pre-order. Then I say I want to use the 40 plus and the 20 or so I got from the games I brought today.He gives me my card and 10 bones becasue I refused to put it on another game. As he hands me my shit, he says it really hurts us and the person who pre-ordered the game for you when you canel, in a really saracstic way. I was like WTF guy.... I really wanted to fucking curse him out...
Fucking Gamestop... thankfully he gave me the other 10 so NEVER a fucking gain will I go there ....

Last time I preordered a game there (dragon's dogma I think) the guy there said the same thing, though his tone was more nervous than anything. I could tell he didn't want to mention it to me but I do cancel a lot when a better deal comes up somewhere else, usually on Amazon or GMG if it's a PC game. I told him I understood how shitty their policies are but I'm going to do what's best for me and walked out. Their shitty exclusive DLC weapon isn't going to make me pass up a $10-$20 savings from those other places.

I actually did end up cancelling it later on when it seemed likely I wasn't going to have the money on time :p

HoosTrax

$20 for skyrim dlc is about $15 too much.
I dunno. Back in the day, $20 for something like Throne of Bhaal would have been a steal imho. Course, back then, those were called expansion packs and people weren't conditioned to think of "DLC" as money-grab cosmetic packs.

Tribunal + Bloodmoon would have easily been worth $20 in my book as well. (Again, "expansion pack", not "DLC")

Lothars

I aint really read anything about the Skyrim DLC, but does the price justify its length ?
I haven't finished it but It's really good so far from what I've played.

I would have prefered it to be 15 but It's not a bad value at all at 20.

Derrick01

Banned
I aint really read anything about the Skyrim DLC, but does the price justify its length ?

From everything I've read most seem to be on the "hell no" side. It seems like it doesn't fix any of Skyrim's problems and the quests and new area isn't interesting enough (certainly sounds familiar to me)

kennah

Will the Gamestop Steam cards work on all North America accounts? Like if I buy one when I'm in the states next week I could apply it to my account in canada?

Gav47

Will the Gamestop Steam cards work on all North America accounts? Like if I buy one when I'm in the states next week I could apply it to my account in canada?

Is your account US or Canadian? People on the SPUF have redeemed them on euro accounts and had the money show up in Euros ($20 = € 16.xx iirc), so I should work but whether or not you get USD will probably depend on your account region.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yo ugh. I typed up my thoughts on eXceed 3rd, but my power randomly flickered just as I was about to hit submit. Anyway, for all eight (if even that) of you who have an interest in the games, it's really solid. Not sure just yet how much I like it, but I enjoy it waaay more than Jamestown and the Gundemonium Collection, at least. As many guitar riffs as there are bullets, amusingly.

LastWindow, I'll install the first two in a bit and see if those are translated. Third game is though.

Just going to ask this here because we are all pc gamers and this is a pc issue.

I am renting a basement room in someone's house and while in the room my wifi signal is terrible and I cannot game or even download steam games. If I walk 10 feet away outside of my room yet still in the basement, I get much better signal and can download games and such. Is there any way to fix my connection without playing around with owners router. Will a range extender work if I buy one of those doohickeys at staples?

Yo ugh. I typed up my thoughts on eXceed 3rd, but my power randomly flickered just as I was about to hit submit. Anyway, for all eight (if even that) of you who have an interest in the games, it's really solid. Not sure just yet how much I like it, but I enjoy it waaay more than Jamestown and the Gundemonium Collection, at least. As many guitar riffs as there are bullets, amusingly.
Considering I enjoyed the stuffing out of Jamestown, that's damn high praise. Yeah, it's been on my watchlist for a while now, but I haven't gotten round to it yet (largely because I've yet to beat any of the Gundemonium games).

Just going to ask this here because we are all pc gamers and this is a pc issue.

I am renting a basement room in someone's house and while in the room my wifi signal is terrible and I cannot game or even download steam games. If I walk 10 feet away outside of my room yet still in the basement, I get much better signal and can download games and such. Is there any way to fix my connection without playing around with owners router. Will a range extender work if I buy one of those doohickeys at staples?
Short of replacing your router with a more powerful model, you could try investing in a pair of powerline ethernet adaptors (link is an example, feel free to shop around) where you use your house's electrical system as an Ethernet connection. They should do the trick.

To my understanding that guy just lost one of his pre-order targets, even though he didn't make the pre-order in the first place. They get a bollocking if they don't meet their targets. Not sure if they get fired for it though.

Took Death to Spies since I love stealth mechanics in games. Reign seemed interesting. King's Bounty was my first pick.
Games from the Indie Gala 7 Bundle:

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943
UFO: Afterlight
Star Wolves

Pick one game per person. I'll PM the steam key.

Just noticed all the games are published by the same company. Funny story. I bought it on happy hour, but forgot to select it as a gift. So I didn't get an extra gift of the bundle. Read the info, it explains it. Emailed support about it. See what they can do.

Kabouter

Took Death to Spies since I love stealth mechanics in games. Reign seemed interesting. King's Bounty was my first pick.

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Star Wolves

Just noticed all the games are published by the same company. Funny story. I bought it on happy hour, but forgot to select it as a gift. So I didn't get an extra gift of the bundle. Read the info, it explains it. Emailed support about it. See what they can do.
Just giving these out? If so, Theatre of War 2 please.

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Star Wolves

Star Wolves?

Nabs

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Star Wolves

Rig 'N Roll sounds like it might be GOTF. Can I get that?

Edit: Thanks!

mannerbot

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Star Wolves

I'd like Space Rangers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LOL @ Death Rally costing $10 when it's free on the iphone.... in saying that it's not a bad game.
Expectations are different on Steam and consoles. There is already a niche for $10 content there and Death Rally fits into it nicely. But $10 on iOS is incredibly spendy. It's all relative.

It works in reverse as well. Games usually get a huge price drop when they get ported to iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom