• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbre

wklbI.jpg
A giant disappointment, poor Raven

Man, the Sleeping Dogs TF2 items look baller but with my massive Summer Sale haul and Dishonoured and XCOM coming later this year I can't justify buying it at launch. Damn.

Sleeping Dogs preordered! Same with Darksiders 2, I will be on Vacation that week so I am going to have a awesome week of games and relaxing.

Sarcasm

Guys is cloak and daggers glitched in Deus Ex Human Revolution?

I am doing the cloak and dagger quest. The part where you go to the apartment to take out a dude (either kill or knock out - I knock out) the quest never updates...

I even tried gunning down dudes and such..even completing rest of the quest with no luck..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welcome back Snkfanatic :D!

1-D_FTW

That's more of a typical off-comment regarding physical abuse, you know kinda like "I wanna smack someone's face because x".

And to me it is used somehow as something objective. People forget that carrot and stick set-up devs use to "extend" game time, after all, the "I'll keep playing this game because I might get something out of it, regardless whether it sucks" mentality.

Yes I know this reasoning becomes "you're trying to define fun", but at the same time people can be "fooled" into thinking what fun is, especially with that approach above.

wut

To me that's underestimating people. I know I won't play a game I don't like. And there's pretty much a direct correlation between how much I dislike a game and how quickly I quit. So I think it's a measurement that cuts through all the BS and speaks directly to how someone truly felt about a game. People who say a game sucked and they played 80 hours make me laugh. Because that 80 hours played tells me all I really need to know. If you truly hated the game, and you're remotely sane, you would have quit a long time before that.

Obviously it doesn't apply to something like Dear Esther. You can love the game and only put one hour into it. But for full length games, play time tells me a lot about how a person truly feels.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To me that's underestimating people. I know I won't play a game I don't like. And there's pretty much a direct correlation between how much I dislike a game and how quickly I quit. So I think it's a measurement that cuts through all the BS and speaks directly to how someone truly felt about a game. People who say a game sucked and they played 80 hours make me laugh. Because that 80 hours played tells me all I really need to know. If you truly hated the game, and you're remotely sane, you would have quit a long time before that.

Obviously it doesn't apply to something like Dear Esther. You can love the game and only put one hour into it. But for full length games, play time tells me a lot about how a person truly feels.

But then you miss out on the idea that is the carrot on a stick structure, where people will play along hoping it gets better.

Your typical gamer is one of those people who you should underestimate.

ngt

Guys is cloak and daggers glitched in Deus Ex Human Revolution?

I am doing the cloak and dagger quest. The part where you go to the apartment to take out a dude (either kill or knock out - I knock out) the quest never updates...

I even tried gunning down dudes and such..even completing rest of the quest with no luck..

Beat the game three times without any problems with that quest. Make sure you've done everything required in previous steps. Try to read this: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Cloak_&_Daggers#Glitches , maybe you'll find something usefull.

I really want to smash a shovel to people's heads when they use hours played for justification.

I am not sure what else you would use to justify a purchase.. I only play a game if I ENJOY it and if I ENJOY a game for a 150 hours then I think that justifies my purchase of said game. But clearly you are beyond reason and will probably shovel me regardless.

1-D_FTW

But then you miss out on the idea that is the carrot on a stick structure, where people will play along hoping it gets better.

Your typical gamer is one of those people who you should underestimate.

We can argue back and forth all day on that one. But let's just say, I don't value their opinions when they say it. Because something is clearly wrong with something if someone tells me they played a game 80 hours and then proceeds to rail on about why it sucks. But either way, it'd still argue they got their money's worth if they sunk 80 hours into it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We can argue back and forth all day on that one. But let's just say, I don't value their opinions when they say it. Because something is clearly wrong with something if someone tells me they played a game 80 hours and then proceeds to rail on about why it sucks. But either way, it'd still argue they got their money's worth in they sunk 80 hours into it.

Let's agree to disagree then.

I am not sure what else you would use to justify a purchase.. I only play a game if I ENJOY it and if I ENJOY a game for a 150 hours then I think that justifies my purchase of said game. But clearly you are beyond reason and will probably shovel me regardless.

Like I said, my stance would pretty much be seen as "why are you measuring/specifying fun" but then I'm taking the "carrot on stick approach" and "gamers are none the wiser" position.

I'm still backing up my stance on 50% in Skyrim is still expensive when I can get it for 20 bucks locally :p

BioHazard

I picked it up as a daily deal a couple months back. Terrible game.

What? It was a great, totally overlooked shooter. The guns felt awesome, one of the few PC games that gets it right. An overall enjoyable game, not amazing, but enjoyable. I like it in the way that many people around here like Singularity.

NBtoaster

Always looked like a mediocre FPS with decent enough gunplay to me. Right up my alley. I remember digging the demo.

Gunplay is good, though the story and characters are really bad.

Graphics are bad too, so much unnecessary shine on every surface, even people.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Like I said, my stance would pretty much be seen as "why are you measuring/specifying fun" but then I'm taking the "carrot on stick approach" and "gamers are none the wiser" position.

It sort of seems like you just wanted to have an argument that isn't here.

The idea that something being fun over a long enough amount of time justifies a certain purchase price is pretty reasonable.

Sanjay

It's been a while. New set of tie-in TF2 items announced with every Steam Sleeping Dogs pre-order. Also available to buy from the Mann Co Store, if you really want them. Yes, that looks like a flamethrower for the Heavy.

You can also craft them.

So the items are not exclusive then?

I also read this:-

"These items are awarded in Genuine quality to players who pre-order Sleeping Dogs on Steam before August 14, 2012. Non-Genuine versions were also made available via purchase from the Mann Co. Store, crafting, or item drop beginning on August 2, 2012."

I'm confused.

HoosTrax

You can never craft items to be Genuine (green) quality. The only exception of this sort is that you can craft an Unusual (purple) quality HHHH.

This only matters to you if you're a collector / trader. Most non-Genuine (yellow) quality items are nearly worthless to traders. If you're a TF2 trader/investor, then you might care about it.

Also, if they ever release Strange quality versions of the weapons and the weapons are desirable to use, then the Strange quality ones will be worth more than the Genuine. An example is the Strange Machina, which is worth more than the Genuine Machina sniper rifle from the DX:HR preorder bundle.

So the items are not exclusive then?
I also read this:-
"These items are awarded in Genuine quality to players who pre-order Sleeping Dogs on Steam before August 14, 2012. Non-Genuine versions were also made available via purchase from the Mann Co. Store, crafting, or item drop beginning on August 2, 2012."

I'm confused.
If you pre order the game you get all those items for free and they have a genuine label which increases their relative value on the tf2 trading market.

Sanjay

If you pre order the game you get all those items for free and they have a genuine label which increases their relative value on the tf2 trading market.

Pretty grimey of Valve doing this.

They should have just used, "8 TF2 items for free" and get rid of the term exclusive. I'm guessing they have covered their bases with this bs genuine labels thing.

And just discovering that they have this genuine/fake goods today, like wtf is this.

Rapstah

Also, if they ever release Strange quality versions of the weapons and the weapons are desirable to use, then the Strange quality ones will be worth more than the Genuine. An example is the Strange Machina, which is worth more than the Genuine Machina sniper rifle from the DX:HR preorder bundle.

This can't be universally true. There are items of which there are very, very few Genuine ones. Say the Red Faction: Armageddon hammer - 200 something people got that. I know a guy in real life who traded it for a regular Batter's Helmet and flipped out when he was told how rare the hammer is.

MNC

I remember when I traded earbuds + bill's hat for a full priced skyrim about half a year ago. Man, that was funny.

HoosTrax

This can't be universally true. There are items of which there are very, very few Genuine ones. Say the Red Faction: Armageddon hammer - 200 something people got that. I know a guy in real life who traded it for a regular Batter's Helmet and flipped out when he was told how rare the hammer is.
You missed the "desirable to use" part of my quote. Meaning that it's a sought after item by players and not just traders. The Machina, specifically a Strange variant which has kill counters, is one of the most popular weapons for players who play Sniper because of the bonuses it has.

The Maul from Red Faction is not that exciting to players because the Homewrecker is identical in terms of stats, and even the Homewrecker is not commonly used (the Degreaser + Axtinguisher combo is far more popular for Pyros who are decent). There is no Strange Maul anyhow.

Current Values:
Genuine Maul 7-9 Keys
Genuine Machina 2-2.33 Refined Metal (worth very little because of how many copies of DX:HR were preordered)
Strange Machina 13-14 Keys

(Keys cost $2.50 from the MannCo Store)

So that uber-rare Red Faction Maul is in fact worth less than a Strange Machina, which are far more common in terms of sheer numbers.

Sanjay

Who said anything about fake? Here are the item qualities/colours.

This shit is crazy. Figuring this all out is like trying to figure out what just happened after the Architect scene in The Matrix Reloaded. You just have to accept no matter how odd it might be.

But to me it seems like all their doing is abusing the consumers.

Valve promote suckers into buying said game with "exclusive items" then sell them exclusive items in store and you can even craft them too but they have a brand system just to make mo money. Do you not see whats wrong with this. Like its not a exclusive item like Bill's hat.

Any tips for what you do when Steam doesn´t register your playtime? I just started playing on my laptop that I haven´t touched for month, and after having trouble registering game time, this client seem to have stopped doing alltogether now. Been playing Alpha Protocol for an hour today, and although I registers how much I have played during the current session, it doesn´t update gametime for last two weeks or total gametime.

MRORANGE

Any tips for what you do when Steam doesn´t register your playtime? I just started playing on my laptop that I haven´t touched for month, and after having trouble registering game time, this client seem to have stopped doing alltogether now. Been playing Alpha Protocol for an hour today, and although I registers how much I have played during the current session, it doesn´t update gametime for last two weeks or total gametime.

are you online? some games just don't register playtime, if I recall Rainbow Six: Vegas had that problem for me.

Gav47

This shit is crazy. Figuring this all out is like trying to figure out what just happened after the Architect scene in The Matrix Reloaded. You just have to accept no matter how odd it might be.

But to me it seems like all their doing is abusing the consumers.

Valve promote suckers into buying said game with "exclusive items" then sell them exclusive items in store and you can even craft them too but they have a brand system just to make mo money. Do you not see whats wrong with this. Like its not a exclusive item like Bill's hat.
The genuine (dark green coloured name) version will be exclusive, once the preorder period is up no more genuine versions of those items will be issued. Making those items exclusive like the Bill's Hat or Earbuds would be more abusive because then you would have to preorder the game if you ever wanted those items.
At least the way it is now people who are interested in trading can get the genuine items if they want and normal players can still get the unique items at a later date and aren't forced to preorder games.

FYI, tomorrow's Quakecon deal will be 75% everything Doom and Quake related and 66% off Fallout 3/New Vegas/NV DLC.

Also available: the TF2 Quakecon Items Pack for £7.99 (for comparison, Rage is currently £6.49) :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom