• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a pain the ass for anyone else to buy stuff from Steam sometimes? Half the time I get the your credit card company has declined this purchase, your company may have put a hold on your account yadda yadda message? Really? It works just peachy everywhere else and there's actual money in my account. I guess I should be glad Steam is so secure, but it annoys me that this has happened with every card I've ever owned and I have to go through PayPal half the time. Is there way I can call my credit card company and explain to them you don't have to flag every Steam purchase as suspicious?

catabarez

It's certainly worth repeating, but this (and a PS2 game equivalent) has been discussed in the custom grid view art thread as well. So go there and see if people have made banners for the games you want to add this way!

Edit: and that article has both PCSX2 and PS1 emulator instructions. Nice. I'll probably add King's Field games that way.

In the Custom grid picture thread someone posted a way to get N64 games on Steam as well.

HoosTrax

Is it a pain the ass for anyone else to buy stuff from Steam sometimes? Half the time I get the your credit card company has declined this purchase, your company may have put a hold on your account yadda yadda message? Really? It works just peachy everywhere else and there's actual money in my account. I guess I should be glad Steam is so secure, but it annoys me that this has happened with every card I've ever owned and I have to go through PayPal half the time. Is there way I can call my credit card company and explain to them you don't have to flag every Steam purchase as suspicious?
Odd. This has never happened to me, and I buy several dozen games over the course of a winter or summer sale.

Then again, my CC company had no comment either when I put a $6000 charge on it for tuition :s. Not even a call to make sure everything's peachy.

(This is Citi btw)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I knew this would eventually happen:

79xpN.jpg

Aussie banks don't care.. they're just counting their fees :p

Come to think of it, I've received a call only once, and that was one afternoon a couple of years ago, when my Astraweb account automatically resubbed... for what would've been the umpteenth time.

Edit: I just realised that the Quakecon sale means no Weekend Deals. Boo!

catabarez

Guys I figured out a different way to run Dolphin games through Steam, but this time I figured out how to get the overlay to work with the games!

I'll add the information in a little bit. As soon as I figure it out how to word it :p

Blizzard

Banned
Yes, just call your company and talk to them. At least with the VISA company I use, I might have had several Steam purchases trigger a hold once or twice, but I'm glad they're paying attention, and the people should be nice and helpful when you call and get it straightened out immediately. It should be a 24/7 number on your card.

I also like to call them and let them know if I'm going on a long-distance trip, so they don't freeze the account if they suddenly start seeing out-of-state charges.

I assume I wouldnt need bluetooth to use the mouse right? And is there a list of games that are compatible with mouse? Right now the only games I have that I would be interested in emulating are Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. Games I don't own yet that i would be interested in emulating would be Mario 64, Metroid games, and other Zelda games. Since they are all 3D first and third person games would they all work?

catabarez

Wii/GCN games on Steam WITH Overlay

First thing you have to do is add the Dolphin emulator to the Steam library as a Non-Steam game.

Next you go into the properties of the emulator through Steam. Just right click it in the Steam menu then click on "Properties"

Where it says Target change it to something similar to this:

"E:\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /e "F:\Gamecube\Double Dash.iso" /b

The first part is the location of the application for your emulator. The /e lets the emulator know to run this iso when it starts. The second file location is the .iso you want the emulator to run and the /b closes the emulator when you exit the game.

After doing all that the game should work perfectly with Steam!

To do multiple Wii games on Steam simply make a copy of the application (not a shortcut) and repeat the process with a separate .iso

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

catabarez

I assume I wouldnt need bluetooth to use the mouse right? And is there a list of games that are compatible with mouse? Right now the only games I have that I would be interested in emulating are Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. Games I don't own yet that i would be interested in emulating would be Mario 64, Metroid games, and other Zelda games. Since they are all 3D first and third person games would they all work?

Any mouse will work fine with the emulator you just need to change the settings in the controller menu. Any game is compatible with a mouse, I just wouldn't recommend it for some of them. A game like Metroid Prime 3 would work perfectly because it's an FPS, but something like Mario Galaxy doesn't really have a use for it.

I'm looking to pick up a copy of Titan Quest Complete for a Friend but I have some games to trade. I'll trade any of the following:

1. Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands

2. Escape from Monkey Island Bundle

3. Company of Heroes.

I'll even throw in a copy of Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword if someone wants it.

Just send me a PM if interested.

bigace33

If only Wii games had mouse controls. How hard is it to get the nunchucks working with a PC?

I use a dualshock 3 for all of my games. It works even better than the wiimote in many games Mario Galaxy 2 feels really good on the PS3 pad, and so does Mario Kart Wii.

Relax.MX

Im 4 hours on The Last Remnant and well is the classic cliche J-RPG and is good for me, im in the mood of this right now...but...

I know that in all turn-based game luck is important. Perhaps still not understand the battle system, but is the battle system of this game based 90% on luck?, I feel that I have no control over anything, only attacking options are magical or physical attack is all ...and sometimes items...

I'm really eager for a role japonese game :(

Got Dishonored preordered, along with the Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 I picked up earlier I'm set for my full price game purchases this year.

Is the shooting any good in that game? I just assumed it had no guns until I saw Wake carrying an uzi in a screenshot.
It's like 90% combat. Nothing very survival horror about it at all despite it giving off that kind of first impression. I like the shooting, but I recommend enabling the developer mode and unlocking Nightmare difficulty right off the bat.

JaseC

For the one or two of you that may care, Confrontation is half off over at GamersGate.

Is the shooting any good in that game? I just assumed it had no guns until I saw Wake carrying an uzi in a screenshot.

It's serviceable -- not great, but not bad, either. The game lacks a traditional crosshair, with players instead required to rely on the beam of the flashlight to guide their shots, which is a novel approach I quite like.

I've never had a problem with Steam but greenmangaming refuses to let me buy anything through paypal or my debit card. I heard they had problems and were fixing it but it's still broken for me.

JaseC

Speaking of GMG, as mentioned in the Borderlands 2 pre-order thread, PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN is a one-use -25% code (don't use it on Darksiders 2 just yet as that will be -25% with its own code some time tomorrow, for 24 hours). I myself used it to snag Dark Souls for $30.

Card Boy

Banned
I got 8 bucks GMG credit and i didn't even do anything or have any games for trade. I think my referral link went viral on Ozbargain when i spammed the crap out of that side with GMG deals last year.

Detox

The shooting isn't fun and it gets repetitive very quickly, about 2/3 of the way through I just ran away from enemies not because they were hard to kill but because it was boring to kill them.

Aselith

If you click the link it says, "Today only."

It does but there is a separate code that is specifically for BL2 that COMBINES with that code so I'm not sure if this particular code is today only or if it's the BL2 code or both.

In any case though I just decided to grab Legend of Pegasus. $25 is pretty good.

Is there a GAfer from Russia I can contact to get me Lonesome Road, seeing as the DLC got discounted, and Fallout sale is coming today? My copy is Russian one, and DLC available on Steam store in my country are not compatible.

Raide

Picked up Titan Quest from Steam. Had my original copy somewhere around year ago but I may as well pick this version up!

feel

Played the first two levels of Thief 1 today, of this series I had only ever played a few levels of Deadly Shadows on xbox1 ages ago. It looks and feels outdated as fuck, but I was still entertained. I was murdering everyone (who seemed to deserve it) with the sword from behind, and playing on hard so that stealth is not optional.

So Shivering Isle was 30$, it was an expansion that offered a fairly sizeable new area, a realm in Oblivion, with two large parts to explore, Mania and Dementia. Dawnguard, by and large, has me trudging around Skyrim. I've been to the two new faction keeps, two new dungeons (which were just added to Skyrim's open world) and one minor area/realm, don't want to go into specifics for those who have yet to play. It doesn't feel like they've added a whole lot to the game based off of the three or so hours I've gone through. While it's nice to have new content to play (kinda did everything you basically could in Skyrim), this doesn't feel substantial enough, so far, to be worth the 20$ asking price. Maybe that will change as I continue to play but right now it's looking like they charged too much for too little.

Gamersgate Summer Sale watch: I realise people get pissed when people start posting deals that can't be registered on Steam, but dammit: Alpha Protocol is currently three quid. (or 4 US dollars or 4 Euros) Apparently they got rid of the Uniloc DRM as well, so that's even better (just remember to copy and paste the installer files out of the Gamersgate Temporary Files folder once it's finished downloading, the burn to a disc).

Dishonored on GMG can't come soon enough...
Yup. I have so many games that I'll trade/gift for dishonored. Dishonored and Hitman are the 2 games I've been looking forward to the most this year, followed closely by Halo 4 and Borderlands 2. Halo 4 being literally the only console exclusive game I've considered purchasing so far.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yup. I have so many games that I'll trade/gift for dishonored. Dishonored and Hitman are the 2 games I've been looking forward to the most this year, followed closely by Halo 4 and Borderlands 2. Halo 4 being literally the only console exclusive game I've considered purchasing so far.
Yup, I did the same with Dark Souls. It feels so good to start slashing the price :D (no Gamestop in where I live so first time ever I've done some trade-in).

For Dishonored, if I'm fortunate I'll get the 25% off, which seems pretty genereous already.

Artifice

Neo Member
Gamersgate Summer Sale watch: I realise people get pissed when people start posting deals that can't be registered on Steam, but dammit: Alpha Protocol is currently three quid. (or 4 US dollars or 4 Euros) Apparently they got rid of the Uniloc DRM as well, so that's even better (just remember to copy and paste the installer files out of the Gamersgate Temporary Files folder once it's finished downloading, the burn to a disc).

I bought Risen for $5 (summer sale special yesterday), happily downloaded and installed, and got a pop-up message requesting permission to install TAGES. If I click 'No', the game woudn't start. This is even though their page clearly advertises the game as 'DRM-free'.

I've emailed GamersGate support. Not particularly happy at the moment. :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, if the Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and Mass Effect series had been Steamworks, I totally would have gone for 100% achievements in each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom