• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god the intro to Starwolves was worth my money alone. This indiegala has been amazing.

Also the game is unplayable. If you've never tried to play a game at 900 fps before.

Apparently that counter is completely bugged and not right at all and has nothing to do with the stuttering and shit.

daxy

I'm in Russia right now and the games are crazy cheap. Can I just freely buy stuff here, or will it get removed from my account when I go back to Europe?

MRORANGE

I'm in Russia right now and the games are crazy cheap. Can I just freely buy stuff here, or will it get removed from my account when I go back to Europe?

pm steam support about it, otherwise they will most likely think your are using a vpn and block your account.

ShaneB

So it's time for that question, I've got 3.57 in my wallet I want to burn. Which 2 F:NV dlc's should I get? I've got Dead Money and Old World Blues in my cart.

Nabs

Some newer games won't run outside of Russia. So if you buy a Russian copy of something, it might not work when you get home.

A week or two ago a listing for Iron Brigade beta showed up in the Steam registry. Just now on twitter the project lead for the game had a conversation with Ryan Davis that looks like the game is going to use GFWL. It's not much of a surprise considering it's a Microsoft Studios game. Hopefully they pull a Toy Soldiers down the line if their contract allows it and they can justify the cost.
It's not just published by Microsoft, they literally own the IP. The chances of them removing GFWL is 0%.

Exuro

A week or two ago a listing for Iron Brigade beta showed up in the Steam registry. Just now on twitter the project lead for the game had a conversation with Ryan Davis that looks like the game is going to use GFWL. It's not much of a surprise considering it's a Microsoft Studios game. Hopefully they pull a Toy Soldiers down the line if their contract allows it and they can justify the cost.
Man this is really disappointing. I just got through playing Stacking and it was AMAZING. I knew Iron Brigade was in the registry but didn't even think that it would use gfwl. :(

Popstar

Have there been any Steam registry leaks for the QuakeCon sale? I'm wondering if we'll see a Quake Collection on sale that includes Quake IV.

HoosTrax

Have there been any Steam registry leaks for the QuakeCon sale? I'm wondering if we'll see a Quake Collection on sale that includes Quake IV.
Is Quake IV more of a sci-fi CoD thing? Or is it also a lone wolf, survival horror, "why the hell have humans lost the technology to make gun-mounted flashlights" type of game?

Gvaz

Banned
Dead Money Stinks, don't troll.

Well the beginning part doesn't. The sneaking around avoiding unbreakable cameras does.

Gvaz

Banned
On the topic of New Vegas/Fallout 3 I feel is pretty apt:
It's a lot better than Oblivion in that everything feels crafted like it has a reason and there's a lot more variety and interesting things in the locations. Fallout 3's problem is that nothing feels connected, everything is interesting but it's all its own thing. That and the faction and karma system are really messed up. If you liked checking out locations in New Vegas then check it out. If you liked roaming around with your companion and doing quest and talking to dudes then Fallout 3 might be a little lackluster.

@taswell (Ryan Davis):

@MrMooEar (Brad Muir of Double Fine):

@taswell:

It's not official or anything and could be another game, but I doubt Double Fine has anything coming directly to PC anytime soon that hasn't been announced.

edit: And then there was this: xbox.com listing

Yeah, another GAF member mentioned it some pages back and I even found an achievements website with Iron Brigade (PC) listed and it showed some Double Fine employees who already have some of the achievements.

http://www.trueachievements.com/Iron-Brigade-xbox-360.htm

Sucks it's GFWL. What's the correct way of backing up saves again? I read elsewhere that multiple directories need to be moved.

Sucks it's GFWL. What's the correct way of backing up saves again? I read elsewhere that multiple directories need to be moved.
Back up both the save file and your Xlive folder. Xlive is a hidden folder, so you'll need to enable "view all files and folders".

*For reference, on Windows 7/8 the path is C:/Users/[Your User Name]/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/Xlive.

vareon

I finished my first Steam Summer Sale game and it was Recettear. Expected 15 hours of playtime, got 43 hours instead. And this is just finishing the story, not including the crazy amount of stuff I can fuse. But it relies on rare random drops so I guess I'll just move on.

I'm going to finish a few point and click adventure game I got in a bundle, then I'll tackle Ys: The Oath in Felghana.

iNvid02

edit: ok offer is expired for now

if anyone still wants to get in on a UK borderlands 4 pack let me know (~£22.50 or ~$35 each)

have enough in my pp account to buy one more, and then im going to withdraw and call it a day

edit: lol yep

Just wanna thank iNvidious01 for going through a lot of trouble to get myself and a few others a UK 4-pack for Borderlands.

edit: that's some good timing

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sugarsync is a lot better in my opinion.

Game Save Manager is ugly and messy as hell.

Wut

Game Save Manager is an application that scans your computer and copies every save to a folder (which can be either Dropbox or Sugarsync's folder).

Sugarsync is a cloud storage service. Unless they added "scan your system for every game save you have, including live profile and with a community gathered around updating the database as quickly as new games come out", I don't see how they relate other than one uses the other.

Koroviev

Is the Honest Hearts DLC worth the time it takes to finish it? I have all of the other DLC, but avoided Honest Hearts when it was more expensive because most people seemed indifferent to it at best.

lol What do you think? haha

And I might just pony up for New Vegas. Only thing is really I never really fell in love with Fallout 3.

The games are very different.

Toki767

I'll wait for New Vegas to go 75% off again. Probably during the winter sale. Can't justify spending the money when I have other games I still need to play

vocab

Just a reminder to gtx 600 users. Titan quest has a pretty nasty vsync stuttering issue that will be fixed in the new drivers. So if you have the 600 series just play with it off until then.

Enco

Wut

Game Save Manager is an application that scans your computer and copies every save to a folder (which can be either Dropbox or Sugarsync's folder).

Sugarsync is a cloud storage service. Unless they added "scan your system for every game save you have, including live profile and with a community gathered around updating the database as quickly as new games come out", I don't see how they relate other than one uses the other.
You select your game save locations and it backs it up automatically. You can then sync across computers or re download them again. Just like GSM but in a nicer package.

Yea the auto scan is nice but it's easy to find the save locations with a quick google search and you wont have to put up with the shitty UI in GSM.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You select your game save locations and it backs it up automatically. You can then sync across computers or re download them again. Just like GSM but in a nicer package.

Yea the auto scan is nice but it's easy to find the save locations with a quick google search and you wont have to put up with the shitty UI in GSM.

I have saves for more than 100 games on this computer.You expect me to manually add all the different crazy ass locations each game saves their information, one by one, on SugarSync, only to lose it all when I format my computer/if the HDD malfunctions or anything like that, when there's a piece of software that scans my entire computer with the click of a button for saves, compares them for changes, compresses and throws them on a folder, which is already monitored by whatever cloud solution I prefer? Let's not forget that said software also retrieves said saves automatically if so desired?

And you won't use it because it's "ugly"? You're crazy.

I'm going to have to side with drizzle here: Gamesave Manager is nigh-essential these days, especially if you have a Dropbox, Skydrive or Google Drive installed, or want to have Steam files on multiple drives. The UI has also improved quite a bit in the 3.0 iteration. I'll assume Enco only tried the original beta version or something.

So it looks like I'm on the homestretch in Dawnguard's questline. Okay, because they updated the achievements to include both Werewolf and Vampire ability mastery I had, wrongfully it turns out, assumed that werewolves were a part of the Dawnguard questline. Vampirism was offered to me twice in Dawnguard, once at the beginning and again during what I believe is the midway point. I turned it down both times assuming at some point I would be introduced to the werewolf perk system but now it looks like I'm almost done and lycanthropy has yet to rear its head. I don't think it ever will. If it wasn't for a hint on a loading screen to press tab to access werewolf perks while in werewolf form I wouldn't have known. I don't know if they've altered the Companions questline to include or alert the player to this perk system, I completed that ages ago. As a bit of a completionist, this is kind of annoying. I could've ground my way through the Werewolf perk system and then accepted vampirism and mastered that tree as well. Now it looks like I may have to start another game with another character if I want to explore those mechanics/skill tree. I don't know if you can become a vampire lord by contracting regular vampirism.

If I'm in the homestretch of Dawnguard, this lite-expansion didn't add a whole lot to the game. If this is the end, it feels like they charged 10$ more than they should have.

So it looks like I'm on the homestretch in Dawnguard's questline. Okay, because they updated the achievements to include both Werewolf and Vampire ability mastery I had, wrongfully it turns out, assumed that werewolves were a part of the Dawnguard questline. Vampirism was offered to me twice in Dawnguard, once at the beginning and again during what I believe is the midway point. I turned it down both times assuming at some point I would be introduced to the werewolf perk system but now it looks like I'm almost done and lycanthropy has yet to rear its head. I don't think it ever will. If it wasn't for a hint on a loading screen to press tab to access werewolf perks while in werewolf form I wouldn't have known. I don't know if they've altered the Companions questline to include or alert the player to this perk system, I completed that ages ago. As a bit of a completionist, this is kind of annoying. I could've ground my way through the Werewolf perk system and then accepted vampirism and mastered that tree as well. Now it looks like I may have to start another game with another character if I want to explore those mechanics/skill tree. I don't know if you can become a vampire lord by contracting regular vampirism.

If I'm in the homestretch of Dawnguard, this lite-expansion didn't add a whole lot to the game. If this is the end, it feels like they charged 10$ more than they should have.
chances are there's a console command to give yourself the Dawnguard specific strain of Vampirism. I don't see why it would be different from the regular Vampirism though.

You change forms and become a Vampire Lord. I don't know if regular vampirism has been modified to include this. It's like lycanthropy, you have a human and bestial form.

Ledsen

People use GSM exclusively for the auto scan feature. They don't use it for the UI. So if you're recommending an alternative, it needs to have auto scan or it's not an alternative at all.

Tukker

I finally started playing The Walking Dead and it's a stuttering mess and there's some crazy mouse lag. I'm really disappointed. I'm not finding much information on it other than it's a known issue.

Playing on mac or pc? It tends to be less friendly on mac than on pc.

Twinduct

I really wish they would tell us when Torchlight 2 is coming out....I preordered it a week ago on Steam after watching some beta videos. Ugh at least tell us when damnit
LLShC.gif

A week ago? Shiit I got it on day 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom