• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the game. But even the ones for specific games usually end up dead. The most recent one for Steam guest passes was for CS:GO and it's pretty much dead. You can try in the official beta threads for CS:GO or Dota 2, or just give it away here.

Juice

Can't wait until Civ 5 Gods & Kings gets unlocked.

It's confusing me--the game shows up in the DLC context menu (not standalone in library) and it hasn't downloaded yet. How will I know it's unlocked?

I hope Quantum Conundrum is good (it gets unlocked later this week).
I pre-ordered it because of the sweet TF2 items, but it does seem like it'll probably be good, if not fantastic.

I don't want to regret my purchase.

Old? The new update is live.

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the Steam menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

- Added warning message for users on XP SP1 or lower, support will be dropped August 31th 2012.
- Grid view now supports applying custom images to games and shortcuts, via the grid item’s context menu
- Fixed a bug where if you were disconnected from Steam, then reconnected, any tabbed chats would paint wrong until you changed tabs
- Fixed clearing login information in case “Don’t save account credentials on this computer” is checked
- Fixed HTTP proxy related download issue
- Fixed client crash related to game stats system
- Fixed button to remove completed downloads
- Fixed html control not drawing if Steam wasn't the foreground application
- Fixed html control being blank for a while on steam startup for some users
- Fixed Steam Cloud download errors in some situations

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8223/

Is that just a dollar? I'm trying to remember what other games I saw for a buck. The first Fortix was a dollar.

Damn you edited too fast. I was going to say fortix is.

Also one of these days I need to play bad rats. Can't be worse than DNF.

Edit: In fact that day IS NOW!!!!

2nd edit: oh lord it crashes if you try to change resolutions lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn you edited too fast. I was going to say fortix is.

Also one of these days I need to play bad rats. Can't be worse than DNF.

Edit: In fact that day IS NOW!!!!

2nd edit: oh lord it crashes if you try to change resolutions lol

I got Bad Rats as a reward for completing that pain in the ass Dungeon Defenders achieve. I didn't even want it on my steam list so I gifted it to my 9 fps CS:S cousin lol.

Don't waste your time with bad rats.

It's like if everything in The Incredible Machine sucked. And it only had like 8 things to play with. And if all the puzzles were the same. And ugly as sin. And you get different results without changing anything. And if it's on a 2d plane but the objects like to bug out and go on the z axis every once and a while. And you like jokes that are essentially HAHA HE HAS A TURBAN AND A BOMB STRAPPED TO HIS CHEST. And terribly rendered cat violence. And doesn't run in widescreen and can't change the resolution. And has shitty music.

You learn something new everyday.

On the bright side -1 on backlog!

Juice

I'm loading Civ 5 Gods & Kings right now!

(I had to kill the steam process from task manager to cajole it. Steam's "DLC" feature is really lame; wish they'd treated it like a separate game.)

Sarcasm

SO in Driver San Francisco, the game lags like hell whenever I get into any kind of chase. Even some solo stuff.

I have an 2nd gen i7 and an ati 5450...anything I can do?

Heads up, Uplay servers are down again so in case anyone wants to play Driver San Francisco you have to click the offline mode button in the bottom right of the launcher.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Heads up, Uplay servers are down again so in case anyone wants to play Driver San Francisco you have to click the offline mode button in the bottom right of the launcher.

Let's see which goes down more often within a four-week period: Ubi's Uplay servers or Blizzard's Diablo 3 servers. :p

Knowing Capcpom it's going to be using GFWL.

Looking at the list of upcoming GFW(L) games on Wikipedia, it seems Capcom, WB, and (naturally) Microsoft are the only three publishers still actively supporting GFWL. A bona fide Lonely Hearts Club.

Wow, I didn't expect this to ever happen. Only took a few years!

"These things, they take time."

JaseC

WB is in bipolar mode when it comes to PC releases. Games like Fear 3 and War in the North are Steamworks while others are GFWL, and some like Lego Harry Potter have neither.

I can only assume the decision rests upon a rickety old man, his lucidity and strength of mind long lost to dementia.

Hoping to see Magicka for cheap again. I bought 2 copies for myself and my wife and it is insanely fun. I'm hoping it goes cheap again so I can buy more copies and gift them to a few friends. The game is insane. I am addicted to it.

camerooni

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I know a lot of you have written off Brawsome's Macguffins Curse that is on today's daily special, but I think you're mostly unsettled by the look of the game.. I have to admit - I 'almost' hate the graphical style, but once I got into the game and played through the first 7 or so rooms I really started to enjoy the quirky game.

It's a 'room' puzzler, where you need to push/pull blocks, put batteries on the correct 'pad' to open locked doors, and then it's mixed up with a bit of lycanthrophy where your werewolf form can break rocks etc and otherwise get through obstacles that your human form can't - at the same time werewolf you can't open safes (for phat loots) or operate the electrical doors. You can switch between forms at any point by moving into a 'ray of moonlight'.. (this is just the initial abilities in the game.. I imagine there is some room to move).

I'm really very happy with it as a 3.50 purchase.. I was keep to buy it pre-order to support Aussie Indies, but again, that art style just sorta threw me for six. Though during my time with it (a whole 16 minutes - wanted to get back here and recommend it), it has presented a certain charm.

They obviously put a lot of love into it - there is different dialogue/interactions with different objects based on whether you are in Wolf or Human form! Granted there's only one for each interaction with an object, but not many games bother to give a different result based on which character is interacting with it.

If any of you are even considering it after reading this, there's a demo.. So - check it out - and throw a little love their way.. It hasn't showed up at all in the top sellers list at all during the day.. and it's expensive to live in this country :p lol..

JaseC

Quantum Conundrum releases in 2 days. :)

Pity its unlock date/time translates to 1AM here. :(

Yes to this :D
Dragon's Dogma first, then DmC, and if I ever can be bothered to finish RE5 then I'll go for 6 ;)

I'm mildly interested in Dragon's Dogma and intend to pick up RE6 when it's available for <$10 (much like RE5), but the Devil May Cry series is one I've never felt compelled to play (though probably would enjoy were I to give it the time of day :p).

camerooni

Neo Member
Pity its unlock date/time translates to 1AM here. :(

I'm mildly interested in Dragon's Dogma and intend to pick up RE6 when it's available for <$10 (much like RE5), but the Devil May Cry series is one I've never felt compelled to play (though probably would enjoy were I to give it the time of day :p).

I played DMC4 as my first real purchase into the series (though I had borrowed 1 and 2 on the PS2 from a mate for a week or two a few years back).. I thought it was over the top, pretentious, dull, boring, single room beat 'em up.. move on to next room.. rinse and repeat.

Then I started to get into it, trying to chain combos together and get higher style rankings.. it was so much fun.. and I built Nero up to the point where I really felt comfortable playing the game.

BUT THEN - you lose control of Nero, you pickup Dante again, all your points you've earned are refunded and you have to invest them in one of THREE fighting styles.. whereas Nero had one. If you hadn't played the earlier games, as I hadn't really, this point you just lose all will to keep playing and learning a new character, new skillsets, halfway through the game.. and the WORST PART - you backtrack through all the areas you fought to this point to get back out of the bloody compound that Nero was trying to get into..

It was too much..

Then again the new Dante is designed for a younger audience, has 'attitude' urgh, and is overtly sexualised - I'll totes end up buying it anyway.

Loving Driver. If it's true that Reflections are doing the driving in watch dogs, it'll be amazing. Only thing I wish was being able to steer the car with the DPAD on a controller.

JaseC

I played DMC4 as my first real purchase into the series (though I had borrowed 1 and 2 on the PS2 from a mate for a week or two a few years back).. I thought it was over the top, pretentious, dull, boring, single room beat 'em up.. move on to next room.. rinse and repeat.

Then I started to get into it, trying to chain combos together and get higher style rankings.. it was so much fun.. and I built Nero up to the point where I really felt comfortable playing the game.

BUT THEN - you lose control of Nero, you pickup Dante again, all your points you've earned are refunded and you have to invest them in one of THREE fighting styles.. whereas Nero had one. If you hadn't played the earlier games, as I hadn't really, this point you just lose all will to keep playing and learning a new character, new skillsets, halfway through the game.. and the WORST PART - you backtrack through all the areas you fought to this point to get back out of the bloody compound that Nero was trying to get into..

It was too much..

Then again the new Dante is designed for a younger audience, has 'attitude' urgh, and is overtly sexualised - I'll totes end up buying it anyway.

I played a bit of... I think it was DMC2 on the PS2 back in the day, but it didn't really grab me. Not one to learn my lesson, I bought Bayonetta about two years ago, played the opening 5-10 minutes, and promptly forgot all about it.

Despite my apparent disinterest in the genre, I wouldn't say "no" to the Steam DMC games should they hit the $5 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom