• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
Steam should really fix that. I'm seeing it scare more and more people lately. That happens when someone tries to activate a code that you already redeemed and then clicks on this retrieve account button.

iblSmWQBg64huh.jpg

MRORANGE

I'm not going to create a new thread for this, but EA's senior VP of global ecommerce David DeMartini has compared indirectly Steam as MySpace and how the Facebook became the future (in this case Origin)

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-origin-our-aim-is-to-be-a-better-version-of-steam/098386

EA says it wants its Origin download platform to be a better version of all the other portals on the market.

The firm’s senior VP of global ecommerce David DeMartini has also responded to Valve and Steam boss Gabe Newell’s criticism that Origin has yet to do anything ‘super-well’ – adding that he is delighted that the platform is now ‘part of the conversation.’

“If MySpace had stayed the one answer in social networking and no one switched to Facebook, then we’d all be stuck on MySpace right now and we wouldn’t have had the Facebook phenomenon,” he told MCV.

“There are better mousetraps that ultimately get built out of this innovation and the only way you get to the innovation is to have other people try and do a better version of what someone has previously done. And that’s what we’re attempting to do on Origin.

“Gabe was quick to point out in the first time he ever spoke about Origin publicly that he didn’t think we’d achieved that yet. I would agree with that – we’re

on a path of constant improvement. I didn’t expect to be able to out-feature Steam within the first 12 months. But I’m quite optimistic we will differentiate ourselves as a service. We’ve built the foundation and now we are starting to

add value to the service off of that foundation.”

On Newell talking about Origin, DeMartini added: “If 12 months ago you would tell me we’d be in the conversation, I would have been pretty happy. And when you look at the fact that over 12m people have downloaded Origin, we have over 50 partners that have flocked to the service in less than 12 months, and we did over $150m in revenue, which represented 400 per cent growth over the previous year – those numbers show we are making huge progress.

“EA is in a really interesting place. We have this bar that is set so high, so that whether it is any of our games or services, we want to be 90 plus Metacritic at everything.

“Origin is moving in that direction. We are not there yet. We understand that. But we are going to get there soon.”

PaulLFC

Is Vindictus IP locked? I just tried to launch it twice and both times it's frozen just after the login screen appears. A few seconds later it says something about a systems error, 32512.

jediyoshi

Steam should really fix that. I'm seeing it scare more and more people lately. That happens when someone tries to activate a code that you already redeemed and then clicks on this retrieve account button.

I think an option to opt out at least would be useful. It's still a useful feature if for some reason you juggle multiple accounts.

Is Vindictus IP locked? I just tried to launch it twice and both times it's frozen just after the login screen appears. A few seconds later it says something about a systems error, 32512.

It is, though it's also blocked by peerguardian/peerblock in case you run that.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not going to create a new thread for this, but EA's senior VP of global ecommerce David DeMartini has compared indirectly Steam as MySpace and how the Facebook became the future (in this case Origin)

Is this the same idiot that said Steam devalues games? There's so many idiots at EA that I lose track of who said what.

Man, Im new to this whole Steam thing. I have been a console gamer all my life and my PC had always been crappy, so I never bothered much with it.

In fact, I only had Skyrim in my account that I got cause of mods. But, 3 days ago, I got a new PC. A very good one.

I already got Rome - Total War Gold Edition and Deus Ex - HR (cause of the promotion).

Now, I see that summer sales are coming!

I finally understand people's obsession with Steam! XD

My poor, poor wallet! :p

PS - Oh, if anyone would like to add me, my name there is marciosmg.

Is there a GAF group thing on Steam?

iNvid02

Man, Im new to this whole Steam thing. I have been a console gamer all my life and my PC had always been crappy, so I never bothered much with it.

In fact, I only had Skyrim in my account that I got cause of mods. But, 3 days ago, I got a new PC. A very good one.

I already got Rome - Total War Gold Edition and Deus Ex - HR (cause of the promotion).

i bought a shit load of games which basically went to waste because i couldnt get into them, the whole STEAM SALE OMG ONLY 5.00 BUY IT ALL got the better of me the first time round.

i would suggest asking yourself if you really wanna play the game

also amazon is supposed to have some good offers as well in response to steam's sale, plus a lot of other dd sites offer decent deals around this time so go everywhere

I wonder if EA realizes that even if they somehow get all the Steam users to use Origin, everyone will just go back to Steam once Half Life 3 is released.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Noooooooo! Dont mention more stuff! My wallet! :D

Thanks for the links

But those things are actually very friendly on your wallet, since the whole point of them is that you can pay whatever you want. A pretty large chunk of my Steam library comes from such bundles (I've always payed above average for them though).

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Have fun wondering when you bought all those games... :)

iNvid02

No one outside the US has any reason to use Origin period. 100% of their games have regional pricing on them.

they dont seem to have any sales outside US, some of the UK pricing is laughable

the few ea games i play i just buy retail at a decent price and they get linked to origin

but the india loophole in this thread seems pretty good, got 2 games for over 50% off rrp

i bought a shit load of games which basically went to waste because i couldnt get into them, the whole STEAM SALE OMG ONLY 5.00 BUY IT ALL got the better of me the first time round.

i would suggest asking yourself if you really wanna play the game

also amazon is supposed to have some good offers as well in response to steam's sale, plus a lot of other dd sites offer decent deals around this time so go everywhere

That is important. I almost bought this 1.99 TD game, but realized after awhile that I would bore with it quickly and that I was too "trigger happy" lol

But those things are actually very friendly on your wallet, since the whole point of them is that you can pay whatever you want. A pretty large chunk of my Steam library comes from such bundles (I've always payed above average for them though).

I know. I meant that if you buy a lot of games, even if they cost little individually, you will still spend a lot. And sometimes, because each game is cheap, you end up spending a lot without realizing it.

Have fun wondering when you bought all those games... :)

Haha. I imagine after the first 100 things will be tough.

Thank you all for the replies. Any other good DD places out there that accept paypal ( I know Amazon doesnt BTW). Also, I dont know if it matter or not for these things but Im brazilian so thats why I like using Paypal.

Just be careful. You start out fine, not spending much... then a week later you just get smacked in the face and you see you have dozens of more games. Be wary, new Steam goer!

Thank you all for the replies. Any other good DD places out there that accept paypal ( I know Amazon doesnt BTW). Also, I dont know if it matter or not for these things but Im brazilian so thats why I like using Paypal.

I know Green Man Gaming accepts Paypal and usually has some nice deals going on.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I'm basically in the same exact boat you are in because I finished building my computer last Tuesday... first real gaming PC and everything. I need the Steam sale NOW. :p I've been playing some Humble Bundle games and Dolphin/PCSX2 games in anticipation, but I built my computer and I really have no graphically intensive games yet.

Ammish

Banned
Don't know where to ask the question, so I will ask here.

I want to buy the Deus Ex Collection pack and gift the first two games to my friend. But I have the first two games on a retail copy I have and it seems to not be giving me a option to gift the individual games.

Say if I added the games to my steam account, would that effectively let me gift those games? Or can I still gift those two games without needing to add? Or won't it let me?

I haven't bought it yet btw.

ngt

Don't know where to ask the question, so I will ask here.

I want to buy the Deus Ex Collection pack and gift the first two games to my friend. But I have the first two games on a retail copy I have and it seems to not be giving me a option to gift the individual games.

Say if I added the games to my steam account, would that effectively let me gift those games? Or can I still gift those two games without needing to add? Or won't it let me?

I haven't bought it yet btw.

You don't get extra copies of the games you already own unless it says so at the store page.

jediyoshi

Nope. You can't separate out games in a bundle. Even if you already owned some games in it, the 'extra copies' would disappear. Gifting of extra copies only happens when they explicitly state it and you already have those games in your account.

First time I've had this bullcrap

capturel3k10.png

Apparently he's a part of the GAF Steam group. That's how he found me.

If this is a joke or not, I would kick that guy out.

That's not unusual, they come up now and then and just spam stuff like that. Never trust it, they just want to steal your account.

Unfortunately there's no way to avoid it unless we close the group.

He's no longer on the GAF group though.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I didn't even know that the Be Mine 3 Indie bundle thing was going on. Someone recommended me Avernum since I love the Ultima games and this bundle has 4,5 and 6. Everything activates on Steam.

Was very disappointed the Abe's Oddysee games have no resolution control whatsoever. Look terrible.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just don't accept chat invites and the problem is solved.

Oh believe me I wasn't looking for trouble and my guard was up but I wanted to see if he had something relevant to say and he put that up like an idiot. Blocked him immediately. If he said something cordial and wanted to game then that would have been a little different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom