• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Definitely more that than Zelda. People expecting puzzles and light action like Zelda are not going to get what they expect. It's a hardcore action game that just so happens to have a similar world approach as 3D Zeldas.

Yeah it's definitely more action than puzzle but it does have some frustrating puzzles, especially the
portal ones in the late game areas

Unless a game is supposed to be a puzzle game I would much rather they not be there at all. I hate getting stuck or even slowed down in games because some puzzle was tacked on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There isn't really any precision present in Alan Wake. The guns pretty much hit anything within the inner circle of the flashlight beam which is pretty large by aiming standards.

That's true; although it helps with targets that are further away, most of the combat encounters are in close quarters and the enemies practically impossible to miss.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's true; although it helps with targets that are further away, most of the combat encounters are in close quarters and practically impossible to miss.

I'm pretty sure the game does the "suction to target" with further enemies lol. Alan Wake is more about dodging and enemy/supply management than raw aiming.

Darksiders is capable of looking quite pretty on PC:

DarksidersPC%202011-01-13%2016-56-14-09.jpg

Way too janky, this isn't Quake, son!

Controllers allow for a more relaxed playstyle IMO and stuff like The Last Remnant or Devil May Cry is downright unplayable on KBAM for me.

Last Remnant and DMC I would agree that a controller is better. And pure racing games as well. But then again a wheel is best for racing games. Strangely cars in GTA 4 handle like shit with a controller and handle like a dream with kbam.

jarosh

Holy shit... For the people who have played Alan Wake with keyboard & mouse:

Were you never bothered by the fact that you simply cannot walk in a straight line? The camera is positioned in such a way behind Alan's right shoulder that he's always looking a little to the left. I'm sure it's not a problem with a joystick, because you can just adjust the stick slightly to the right. But if you're walking forward with the W key, you simply cannot walk in a straight line. The camera makes sure that you're walking in a very large circle instead. Try walking across a bridge or a narrow hallway without touching the mouse - you'll constantly bump into the left wall/railing.

Is there no fix for this?

edit: Ah, this is a known problem and there's no fix. Holy shit. Game is unplayable for me with KB/M like this. There's even a Youtube video showing the problem here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLDfUvl1seM

Speaking of cost I still don't understand why it's cheaper for me to buy physical discs than it is digital. Almost every Steamworks game I own, I bought as a physical disc because it cost less. Same with Civ 5 and its expansion, I preordered the expansion from GAME and it cost me a little bit over a tenner (was £12.99 but I applied my remaining reward points to it).

Yeah it's ridiculous that games on Steam cost 50% more at launch than at retail, I have no idea why anyone buys a big release on steam when it comes out, the prices are insane

I must be the only person in the universe who actually enjoyed the art style in Darksiders.

Then again I don't play WoW, so it's not like I'm sick of the style or anything.

MRORANGE

Speaking of cost I still don't understand why it's cheaper for me to buy physical discs than it is digital. Almost every Steamworks game I own, I bought as a physical disc because it cost less. Same with Civ 5 and its expansion, I preordered the expansion from GAME and it cost me a little bit over a tenner (was £12.99 but I applied my remaining reward points to it).

Retailers have a hissy fit if Steam offers the game for lower and will cut ties to publishers, granted key selling sites can get away with this, but I assume they buy keys in bulk for a fixed price.

Retailers have a hissy fit if Steam offers the game for lower and will cut ties to publishers, granted key selling sites can get away with this, but I assume they buy keys in bulk for a fixed price.

But that doesn't really explain why the mark up on Steam is so much higher, I'd be fine with paying the same price but the price difference is insane, in some cases Steam charges nearly double the price at launch

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The fuck? You're passing up a game based on art style?

Nah that's just my additional comment. The gameplay seems to be a typical action game but I guess I prefer Bayonetta/DMC for stuff like that. Unless it's comparable to a beat-em up?

And yes, art style is that important - if I'm going to look at something that will last throughout the gameplay, I sure as hell will factor art style.

I dunno I would figure a game's GAMEPLAY is more important...especially because it's a game, not an artsy fartsy indie drivel game

I find anything can hamper enjoyment. If I'm reading a comic and there's some terrible artist drawing the issue, I can't enjoy the story as much as usual. If I hate a graphic style, I'm not going to play the game just because I hear the gameplay is good.

amdnv

edit: Ah, this is a known problem and there's no fix. Holy shit. Game is unplayable for me with KB/M like this. There's even a Youtube video showing the problem here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLDfUvl1seM
Without having played Alan Wake yet, I don't see anything wrong with this. The character moves in the direction he's facing while the camera is offset slightly.

Then again, I always use the mouse to change camera angles anyway and rarely keep it directly behind the character in games like Assassin's Creed. I love to offset it or sometimes even look at my character from the side or the front while advancing through the world for cinematic effect.

1-D_FTW

But that doesn't really explain why the mark up on Steam is so much higher, I'd be fine with paying the same price but the price difference is insane, in some cases Steam charges nearly double the price at launch

Because PC retail is dead in the US. And because the publishers can.

Tess3ract

Banned
I find anything can hamper enjoyment. If I'm reading a comic and there's some terrible artist drawing the issue, I can't enjoy the story as much as usual. If I hate a graphic style, I'm not going to play the game just because I hear the gameplay is good.
I think you're (also people ITT) being too picky. I'm not asking you to start listening to pop when you like metal. I'm asking you to listen to sludge when you probably like melo death.

jarosh

Without having played Alan Wake yet, I don't see anything wrong with this. The character moves in the direction he's facing while the camera is offset slightly.

Then again, I always use the mouse to change camera angles anyway and rarely keep it directly behind the character in games like Assassin's Creed. I love to offset it or sometimes even look at my character from the side or the front while advancing through the world for cinematic effect.

The problem is that you turn the camera *and* your character. The camera isn't as free as it is in AssCreed. If you try to adjust the camera so the character walks into the direction you're facing, he will never end up where you actually point the camera. And unlike in the video (which has arrows showing where the character walks) you never notice this until you bump into a wall or something similar. Seriously, Alan Wake is unique in this regard. I have never encountered this in a game before. If you just had a very huge, flat open area to run around in, with no obstacles, you'd end up running in a giant circle by just pressing forward.

I can understand the hate for Warcraft art style, I personally don't mind it, but I never got that vibe from Darksiders.

It doesn't really look like that so much as it just looks like the artist's particular style, which is more interesting than Warcraft.

Gameplay wise Darksider's is the only modern game that actually feels like 'a game' to me which is sort of a strange thing to communicate.

Pic I took when I played it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think someone made an apt comparison before... I think it was based on figures made by a famous figure maker (Stan?)

kaskade

Man, I just bought both dragon age games on amazon now Darksiders is 5 bucks. I see how easy of a hole this is to fall into.

1-D_FTW

this is a great deal. is the PC version on par/better than the console versions? I prefer console gaming and I have both a PS3/360 but this price is hard to pass up..

Certainly not inferior in anyway. Doesn't require a monster rig to do 1080P/60fps. Has native 360 controller support. Awesome 3D if you have the capable display.

BigBoss

I can never buy anything from greenmangaming, every time I try my credit card company thinks its a fraudulent charge. Its too bad because they have some great deals.

MNC

I kind of missed Alan Wake. On purpose. I know I wouldn't play it for a while (thus be able to get it cheaper) but it still hurts. Why does it hurt? Why am I not helping the turtle!?

edit: iirc darksiders doesn't have alot of graphics options. just a heads up.

ShaneB

On the topic of Darksiders, I loved Darksiders 1, hence my excitement for 2. I did play it on console however, so has there been discussions on pc requirements or a big advancement in tech? I'm sure my laptop could handle 1 no problem, would be nice if 2 is no issues either.

Rapstah

Darksiders was unplayable for me on PC with keyboard. You actually need a controller for it to be playable, movement needs to be analogue for fights to work at all and WASD are just mapped to left stick pulled all the way in their respective direction.

Darksiders was unplayable for me on PC with keyboard. You actually need a controller for it to be playable, movement needs to be analogue for fights to work at all and WASD are just mapped to left stick pulled all the way in their respective direction.

What? I played the entire game m/kb.

Certainly not inferior in anyway. Doesn't require a monster rig to do 1080P/60fps. Has native 360 controller support. Awesome 3D if you have the capable display.

While it's easy to achieve 60FPS, I had a hell of a time trying to get a consistent framerate and I just gave up. It was really janky and jumped around like crazy regardless of anything I was doing to try to make it smoother.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I wish MORE games looked like Darksiders. I love that artstyle. But I've loved Joe Mad's work for a long time.

It's the chunky look that really draws me in. Everything looks to be chiseled from rock and it is so refreshing in this era of drab, colorless gaming. I can't wait for Darksiders II, as there are so few games out there that draw me in like the first game did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom