• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Valve can put the game on sale without the devs permission?
I'm curious about this also (or at least the publisher's permission if they're different).

GoG appears to have the remastered version.

*edit* I'm dumb, already apparently answered on this page. I think I already bought the games a while back, but I'd definitely go for this price if I hadn't. If remastered versions come out before I play them, all the better! Hopefully the plan is to just update the existing game and not make it a separate purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"You already own everything in this package."

Allow me to fund Marc Laidlaw's perpetual Caribbean holiday, Gaben.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I do know that the developers can push the price down without asking steam for permission, they just have to ask them to do it (like, for instance, the "because we may" promotion).

If I remember correctly, I think Steam asks the developers if they can put the game on a deal, but they don't tell you which price it will be.

Either way, every single developer out there only say good things about the sales, so I don't bother.

I do know that the developers can push the price down without asking steam for permission, they just have to ask them to do it (like, for instance, the "because we may" promotion).

If I remember correctly, I think Steam asks the developers if they can put the game on a deal, but they don't tell you which price it will be.

Either way, every single developer out there only say good things about the sales, so I don't bother.

What? That makes no sense.

Aselith

How dare you cads insult my beautiful Nataly! I gift her hats everyday knowing that eventually I'll reach the breaking point and her love for me will overflow her disinterest and she will come to America and be my beautiful bride. Once she even said thank you when I gave her my daily offering. Oh, Nataly, please say you'll be mine.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Want to grab the Broken Sword pack, but if they are not the best versions then I guess I shouldn't.

ibr5YkNmkopyo0.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Either that or Valve really fucking hates Capcom games and doesn't want them to sell when they go on sale.

Then i'm getting my signals mixed up.

The only fact I can 100% attest to is that the publishers can drop down the prices at their will. How does that influence the Daily Deals/Weekend Deals/Midweek Deals is not something I know.

For instance, the "Because we May" deal was never featured on Steam's main page.

The first 2 are among the greatest point and click adventure games ever made. Excellent presentation and perfectly paced.

I thought the sequel wasn't very good (the ending wasn't satisfying at all) but the original is a classic. Am I the only one that doesn't like the extra content in the remastered director's cut ? It's completely unnecessary and actually detracts from the overall story.

DagsJT

Ah whatever, I'm just going to get the BS pack now. It's not like I'm ever going to play it anyway with the backlog I've already got ...

JaseC

Really put me off at first, too. Give it some time and it might grow on you.

This. It took me a good few attempts to get into the game, but trust me, once it clicks (Edit: which shouldn't be long after the prologue), it clicks. Best ~77 hours I've ever spent with a game:

If you plan on partaking in everything the game has to offer, it'll be a long time before you see the world of Xenoblade again.

RXepH.jpg

DTKT

That sounds highly unlikely.

Bought the Broken Sword triple pack without hesitation. Been wanting to play those forever, so what a steal for $2.50.

Does this mean I get a happy GIF reaction morningbus? haha

StuBurns

Banned
Original:

http://i.imgur.com/PQ5Wi.png[IMG]

Remastered:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/imQo5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That doesn't really address the post you quoted at all. Yes, it's remastered. I don't believe it to be a director's cut with new content like the first one was.

I installed the first Witcher game for the first time. Uh, this combat gave me a really bad impression.

Witcher is one of those games where the gamer really has to make an initial investment in time. The game really doesn't start to pay off until midway through Act II (although Act I is not bad for the most part), which is many hours in unfortunately.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wasn't the Racettear people pissed off that Valve put the game on the 5 Indie games Bundle for 5 bucks when the game was 19,90 at the time?

That was their own decision (they acknowledged it) and they said they sort of regretted it despite the spike in revenue.

kswiston

It's pretty obvious that publishers set their own sale prices. We have had "15% off Modern Warfare 2/3!" sales from Activision in the past. I am pretty sure that Valve would have set the discount higher if it was up to them to maximize revenue.

I didn't and won't buy Broken Sword. It takes me a long ass time to play through an adventure with dialogue (still haven't finished Monkey Island), same reason why I won't buy any Sam & Max games.

Edit: We might get a delayed release for Dragon's Dogma like we got for Lost Planet 2... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Publishers have no problem putting absolute shitfests on the PC, but when it comes to actual quality titles it's like "derp, don't have the resources for that".

Welcome to the wonders of Test Games.

You think this is bad, try being a Wii gamer.

fallout

That was their own decision (they acknowledged it) and they said they sort of regretted it despite the spike in revenue.
Yar. From here:

It’s also worth pointing out: in the end, I’m the one who made the call on the various sales and promotions. Nobody, not Valve or Gamersgate or Impulse or anyone, forced our hand on anything. I made the call because I thought it would allow us to sell more copies, make more money and have more people enjoy the game. And you know what? We succeeded on all fronts. The sale promotions ultimately made us a lot more money than we would have otherwise, and I’m glad we did them. The only regret I have is that our very first promotion was as deeply discounted as it was, but in the end I’m still the one who approved it. So if I have anyone to blame for that, it’s ultimately myself.​

The game basically went from being $20 to $1. I remember people saying they were buying that pack just to get Recettear. Had it been $5, they probably could have made quite a bit more. Lessons learned for them, though ... and they still made money off of it.

JaseC

Curse whoever reverted Saoirse Ronan's Wikipedia photo to that of the City of Ember premiere.

Edit:
Yar. From here:

It’s also worth pointing out: in the end, I’m the one who made the call on the various sales and promotions. Nobody, not Valve or Gamersgate or Impulse or anyone, forced our hand on anything. I made the call because I thought it would allow us to sell more copies, make more money and have more people enjoy the game. And you know what? We succeeded on all fronts. The sale promotions ultimately made us a lot more money than we would have otherwise, and I’m glad we did them. The only regret I have is that our very first promotion was as deeply discounted as it was, but in the end I’m still the one who approved it. So if I have anyone to blame for that, it’s ultimately myself.​

The game basically went from being $20 to $1. I remember people saying they were buying that pack just to get Recettear. Had it been $5, they probably could have made quite a bit more. Lessons learned for them, though ... and they still made money off of it.

Similarly, Frictional saw a sharp increase in full-price sales of Amnesia despite the game being inclinded in the HIB.

Just to give everyone a heads up, there is a fan made sequel to the second Broken Sword called Broken Sword 2.5

http://www.brokensword25.com/

It's pretty good and better explains what happens between the second and third games. It's also in 2D unlike the third and fourth games.

Also, last I remember reading there is a fifth Broken Sword in the works and it's supposed to go back to being in 2D.

StuBurns

Banned
How does Steam decide when they add Steam pages for games? Dishonored seems like the kind of game they'd have up, but alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom