• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

The "problem" here is:
The code was suppoesed to be for europeans only
It was limited to 1 use per account, so you have to make up fake identities to get them

I have nothing against people exploiting this to some extent, but you all acting like this is 100% legal are wrong.

I don't see what's ilegal about it when the only thing you need to do is to create another account. You often get European region "rules" in some South American countries cause they don't have specific sites for those. I already owned the games so I just got one of each without doing much of a weird workaround, *shrug*

its not comparable to the EA stuff, they didn't screw up anything, it's a promoted discount code, it just so happens that most of GAF is US based so I knew people would appreciate the codes

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cities in Motion and its DLC is on sale over at GMG. Each item is 55% off and the 25% discount code stacks. I just bought the St. Petersburg DLC for $1.68 myself.

So a friend just gifted me Dota 2...but I already had Dota 2 and even had it installed, but I was cycling through windows so quickly and hit add to library instead of add to gift collection...and it accepted. I always under the impression steam won't let you accept a gift for a game you already had and would automatically put it in your steam inventory?

Oh well.

Also, does anyone have any clue on what game/DLC this is?

iDPuIDDFdznJ1.jpg

I don't see what's ilegal about it when the only thing you need to do is to create another account. You often get European region "rules" in some South American countries cause they don't have specific sites for those. I already owned the games so I just got one of each without doing much of a weird workaround, *shrug*

What address and names did you use for those accounts?

I don't want to play the internet police here since I'm doing stuff like this myself with US PSN and Amazon.com DD, but just because circumventing regional restrictions and "one use only" is easy and doesn't require sophisticated methods, doesn't mean it is perfectly legal. This is definitely a grey area and I just want to make people aware of that.

Salsa

Fair enough, of course. I just don't think they actively tried to avoid it since anyone would think about doing it when it's literally just making an account with a different email address (or the same if you use dots in your Gmail account). What if you already had more than one email address? There's plenty of ways for them to go about blocking that. It sounds as ilegal as asking a friend to get one for you

I used my name and info each time

Gandie

GAF, you're my last hope. I bought GTA IV and episodes in the Midweek Madness, but now the damn thing won't start up. It shows the Social Club thing and I can even log in, but nothing happens afterwards. I tried the following:

-Reboot the PC
-Verify game cache
-Install new video card drivers
-Make sure DirectX is up to date
-Same for flash
-Ran the game as Admin

Could it be GFWL's fault? Where can I get the newest version of that program? I can't find it on the Microsoft thing they call a website.

Edit: solved, turns out I had to manually log in on xbox.com to accept the new terms of use.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What address and names did you use for those accounts?

I don't want to play the internet police here since I'm doing stuff like this myself with US PSN and Amazon.com DD, but just because circumventing regional restrictions and "one use only" is easy and doesn't require sophisticated methods, doesn't mean it is perfectly legal. This is definitely a grey area and I just want to make people aware of that.
Can I say it's also unethical when companies like EA decide that Latin Americans should be better off using the european store, and therefore charge them in euros? Which are overpriced and end up costing more?

Wok

I'll just say that no, Ubisoft didn't really learn anything from EA's mistakes.

The payment failed thing only happens on some regions in the Ubisoft Store.

I guess the discount was supposed to be accessible to people who attended Paris Games Week (PGW in the code).
Ubi has noticed the leak, since Ubishop looks closed now: no game is visible, no login is possible.

Looks cool. I couldn't seem to find the store page for it though.

Here is Sugar Cube: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212110

And Towns:
Another greenlit game released: Towns.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/221020/

JustinBB7

I still have 3 Super Monday Night Combat Beta/Early Access passes in my Steam inventory, but the game already came out, any way I can delete those? Been sitting there for like a year or something.

If you bought the Groupees Be Mine bundle 3, you would have gotten a Desura key for Postal 2 complete. If you register that key on Desura now, you can get a Steam key for the game from them.

DTKT

GAF, you're my last hope. I bought GTA IV and episodes in the Midweek Madness, but now the damn thing won't start up. It shows the Social Club thing and I can even log in, but nothing happens afterwards. I tried the following:

-Reboot the PC
-Verify game cache
-Install new video card drivers
-Make sure DirectX is up to date
-Same for flash
-Ran the game as Admin

Could it be GFWL's fault? Where can I get the newest version of that program? I can't find it on the Microsoft thing they call a website.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98609 download the Live setup which should let you update the entire package.

Uninstall GFWL restart, install new GFWL from this address, restart.
This saved me from GFWL troubles for many games.

Alright guys, since THQ will probably kick the bucket sooner or later it'd be wise to buy everything you want from their portfolio during this year's Winter Sale.

ShaneB

Hey Towns looks pretty neat, pretty sure I voted for it in Greenlight. But 15 bucks base price? ehhh...

Where's Toma with a review?!

mneuro

Hey Towns looks pretty neat, pretty sure I voted for it in Greenlight. But 15 bucks base price? ehhh...

I enjoy towns a lot. I bought Towns and Gnomoria at the same time and both are really good. If Towns was $10 or less I'd recommend it outright, at $15 it's debatable.

I can only talk about the DoWII Singleplayer which is kinda sorta somewhat like a squad-based strategy Diablo-lite.

Speehs Mahreen is a cool TPS with big focus on melee combat, not as good as DoWII imo but still enjoyable and very pretty.

Mmm thanks.
I'll keep my antenae rised for any discounts on the fall sales.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just a heads up: Steam is showing people aren't friends in the top right corner of their profile when they really still are, so don't have a fit that someone removed you! Feel free to mess with peoples heads like I have been though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys, since THQ will probably kick the bucket sooner or later it'd be wise to buy everything you want from their portfolio during this year's Winter Sale.
For our benefit or theirs? If they're going to get removed, or stop being discounted (as was the case with Kingdoms of Amalur) it's a good idea to do that. If not, I'll just wait till they reach a price I'm comfortable with.

Twinduct

Towns
Game by Xavi Canal & Ben Palgi

Game is good.

Review By Twinduct
*Reviewer has only played for the 0.41 beta. Where there was no +Z levels ... as shown in the screen shots.

On a real note, it's very much a Dwarf Fortress lite. Way more complex than say 'A Game Of Dwarves'. On par with Gnomaria. Waiting for my steam key and I'll give a better impression, as it seems quite alot has changed.

ShaneB

I enjoy towns a lot. I bought Towns and Gnomoria at the same time and both are really good. If Towns was $10 or less I'd recommend it outright, at $15 it's debatable.

Thanks for the feedback on Towns, I'm pretty sold on Gnomoria, so if Towns scratches a similar itch which it looks to, I'll wishlist it and check it out. The launch sale price of 12 seems alright, so mayeb I'll bit regardless if it is worth it.

edit: Thanks Twinduct, will await more impressions from yourself.

For our benefit or theirs? If they're going to get removed, or stop being discounted (as was the case with Kingdoms of Amalur) it's a good idea to do that. If not, I'll just wait till they reach a price I'm comfortable with.

For your own sake.

THQ is beyond saving, I fear.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
No Steam key with the Humble Store. So far at least.
Sun Park posted that they'll be sending out keys once they have enough, so I imagine Humble Store buyers will eventually get one. Guess it doesn't matter right now, since it's cheaper to buy on Steam than directly anyway with the promotion.

Given what happened with Sine Mora and the Sleeping Dogs DLC recently, I just have a suspicion that either the base price elsewhere will be raised (and maybe the extras Sun mentioned will be added) or the Steam price will be lowered.

Caerith

How did they end up this bad, by the way? Did their games underperform, or was it just terrible management?
They over-invested in uDraw tablets (or whatever they were called). They were a pretty successful peripheral for the Wii and THQ figured they'd sell like hotcakes for PS360 too.
They didn't.

I keep hearing that, but I only ever played 5 minutes before I got too much of a fallout 3 all over again vibe from it and stopped caring.

Is it a slow burn or can you get into it quickly?

Slow burn, I'd say it takes getting to the first New California Republic outpost, which is like the third town/area in the main quest line, and accepting a quest to check out a nearby town for the weirdness in New Vegas to start showing itself. A little further up in the next town after there's another opportunity of weirdness before you hit the Vegas strip, that was when New Vegas grabbed me.

Part of why I enjoyed New Vegas more was the writing, the humor, the weirdness, the dialogue and characters. It just grabbed me in a way Fallout 3 did not. Even the side quests in New Vegas strike me as being more interesting, funny or weird to me. It's kind of hard to go into detail without spoiling it. I'd say give New Vegas another shot, follow the main quest line for a bit.

Interesting, because the only way I enjoyed Fallout 3 was spending a lot of time exploring the wasteland while completely ignoring the main quest. While nothing was really there to pull me off, I just saw a giant area and decided that I wanted to explore it. I loved the feeling of isolation and uncertainty over what was coming up over the next ridge. Every new structure I ran across was a cause for excitement and paranoia. I think I did that for somewhere around 30-40 hours. It was probably one of the more memorable gaming experiences I've had in the past few years.

Then I went back to try and work on the main quest line, got bored and quit.

At this point I'm just forwarding the main questline to get power armor training from the Brotherhood of Steel (can I get it anywhere else?) before I go wandering off again. I do enjoy the exploration and combat of Fallout 3, so it's enough to keep me going to see what else this game has to offer.

The Warhammer games are good?

I have friends who avidly play the multiplayer for DoWII still, although they complain that the community for it has been shrinking a little more each month.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Darksiders II underperformed, plus they invested in some hardware projects that didn't pan out.
But weren't they in hot water for a long time before releasing that game?

They over-invested in uDraw tablets (or whatever they were called). They were a pretty successful peripheral for the Wii and THQ figured they'd sell like hotcakes for PS360 too.
They didn't.
Poor guys, should have stayed software only.

I don't know for sure but media helped a lot. I'm hearing THQ going bankrupt since last year. There was also a rumor of foul play at stock exchange or something similar.
It seems there is a THQ thread right now. So I'll redirect this there.
This is what I've heard too, that's why I thought there must be more to it than this. I can understand that a game selling less than expected and a failed hardware piece could hurt the company, but to put them in the verge of bankrupcy? And that news is way older than Darksiders 2, so they've been in trouble for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom