• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp3000

Buy UT3 people

It's AMAZING compared to most of the trash released in the FPS genre

Also has like thousands of maps

Salsa

okay it did that with Revolutions wich is the one I had used SteamTool on. The others one I just picked a different drive when I first installed them and now if I hit install it just starts downloading them on the same folder Steam is. Doesnt even let me choose where to put them.

is the whole HDD relocation thing part of the beta? just opted out of that.

Miker

Thousands of times more maps than players!

Cold, man. Cold.

But ultimately true. There are probably more UT2K4 players than UT3 players right now, and people regard UT2K4 as the better game of the two anyway. I wanted UT3 to be good, but Epic really dropped the ball, and they dropped it hard. The freaking DVD was labeled RC7 for crying out loud.

Tomodachi

Did anyone manage to download the free weekend version of Endless Space? I just click on the "click here" words and it just redirects me to the beginning of the game's store page.

okay it did that with Revolutions wich is the one I had used SteamTool on. The others one I just picked a different drive when I first installed them and now if I hit install it just starts downloading them on the same folder Steam is. Doesnt even let me choose where to put them.

is the whole HDD relocation thing part of the beta? just opted out of that.
Only beta right now, yeah.

Miker

UT3 is shit

UT3 is even more shit when you can buy the fantastic UT 2k4

I think UT3 was shit for reasons other than how it played. The game itself was a good mix of the more grounded play from UT99 and the crazy-ass-wall-dodging of UT2K4, and War was a cool twist on Onslaught, especially with the Necris vehicles.

Now, the art style, the port, the Gamespy, the BLOOM OH GOD THE BLOOM, the campaign (FLAGs?), the polish, the missing PC-ness (loading a map to get to the main menu) etc. - those were shit.

Salsa

Only beta right now, yeah.

yeah opting back in fixed it. That bugged update notification is bothersome tho

I think UT3 was shit for reasons other than how it played. The game itself was a good mix of the more grounded play from UT99 and the crazy-ass-wall-dodging of UT2K4, and War was a cool twist on Onslaught, especially with the Necris vehicles.

Now, the art style, the port, the Gamespy, the BLOOM OH GOD THE BLOOM, the campaign (FLAGs?), the polish, the missing PC-ness (loading a map to get to the main menu) etc. - those were shit.

I did not like how it played nor the different approach to some things, but I agree that your reasons as to why it really sucked are still true. It was basically the first foray into an art style that later became Gears of War. It's terribad.

When I play Unreal Tournament 3's "campaign", I feel like I'm playing the precursor to Brink. Cutscenes or exposition leading into deathmatch or capture the flag against bots...okay.

It was basically the first foray into an art style that later became Gears of War. It's terribad.

I believe Gears of War was the first foray, with UT3 being heavily inspired / used scrapped content. I seem to recall reading complaints around release that the protagonist was over similar in appearance to Marcus Fenix.

Edit: In fact this PA Report Editorial delves into Epic's development philosophy and explains how scrapped Gears content influenced [or outright became] the art of UT3.

Blizzard

Banned
When I play Unreal Tournament 3's "campaign", I feel like I'm playing the precursor to Brink. Cutscenes or exposition leading into deathmatch or capture the flag against bots...okay.
The differences being that UT3 will probably run better, look nicer, have more variety, and be more moddable than Brink. :(

vazel

Banned
That's how every MP focused game with a tacked on single player mode plays going all the way back to Codename Eagle.

sixclaws

Banned
Tony on CAG is dropping non subtle hints that Spec Ops: The Line will be $5 tomorrow during the Gamespot/Amazon Friday thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
uh wat

Steam apparently lost the hooks to the games I installed on my SSD (both installed through the "wich drive you want to install these on" option)

they worked fine for days and now suddenly when I click play those games (Hitman and Spiderman) react as if I was trying to install them, even though all the correct files are on the SSD

:S
Check your PC for ghosts. I heard they are common in computer cases in South American countries.

uh wat

Steam apparently lost the hooks to the games I installed on my SSD (both installed through the "wich drive you want to install these on" option)

they worked fine for days and now suddenly when I click play those games (Hitman and Spiderman) react as if I was trying to install them, even though all the correct files are on the SSD

:S

I have pretty much the same setup, moved Borderlands, LA Noire and Deus Ex to my SSD using steamtools some time ago. The games still work properly but I had to redo all the graphics preferences on them. My Steam is the latest Beta version if that helps any.

xJavonta

Banned
Don't know if any of you guys bought the Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle but the game prototypes that come with it are pretty cool. Brazen is my favorite of the bunch.

938972D44C5C858126DE989BBB720BD3A0D801C7

A5CD2CC40C99F073A53ADF8CFF49F2310FB20BD5

35DC5B93448837E94DED273F1D4A681686C33EEC
I have failed you, highres gaf

FoneBone

I did not like how it played nor the different approach to some things, but I agree that your reasons as to why it really sucked are still true. It was basically the first foray into an art style that later became Gears of War. It's terribad.

Gears of War came out a year before UT3.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
More people are playing both Unreal 2k4 and Unreal 99 than Unreal 3. Just to give anymore parting words of wisdom to people who want to buy it.

More people are playing UT3 than I would have imagined, but then I think Quake 3 Arena had a larger and more active server list when I installed it a few months back.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I enjoy giving UT3 a whirl with friends on occasion. It didn't deserve to be sent to die the way it did, but it also never received the one or two layers of polish it always needed to bring it up to Quake III level of shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom